SiouxSports.com Forum

Sioux/Forum Comm Agreement

GeauxSioux

I agree, this is a huge announcement for UND athletics. We will still have the same visibility in the FM area but with added print coverage now. I think it is safe to say we will end up with more coverage than we should get in the FM area through this agreement.

Also, I would expect a game being put on WDAY-WDAZ TV statewide every year besides the games on FSSN.

:glare:

FightingSioux Dot Com is reporting that 550 KFYR (which is an absolute blow torch of a signal) has agreed to carry Sioux sports. Along with AM 710 ESPN picking up games as well. KFYR is the strongest radio signal in the state, and 710 is very good as well. This is such a better arrangement now for people trying to listen in Bismarck, but the entire center portion of the state. Good news on the radio front the past 2 days, now when I'm traveling through the state for business, I will be able to catch the games for sure.

FightingSioux Dot Com is reporting that 550 KFYR (which is an absolute blow torch of a signal) has agreed to carry Sioux sports. Along with AM 710 ESPN picking up games as well. KFYR is the strongest radio signal in the state, and 710 is very good as well. This is such a better arrangement now for people trying to listen in Bismarck, but the entire center portion of the state. Good news on the radio front the past 2 days, now when I'm traveling through the state for business, I will be able to catch the games for sure.

Reading that article makes me wonder which of us has priority. NDSU signed a 6 year deal with 550/710 at the same time as the KFGO deal. It won't matter for hockey, but I wonder what happens if both football teams are playing at the same time.

Considering we have WDAY with it's radio signal which is more powerful at night than KFGO and that is a good deal. WDAY gives us the obvious newspaper connection around the state. The television connection could be big too. That provides the opportunity to hit even more viewers than FSSN does. Now with KFYR on board and this gives us a better media package than we had before. All these announcements are really great news.

The big hole with the WDAY deal was the Bismarck media. Forum communications covers the Bismarck and Minot TV signals, but not radio.

Wasn't NDSU reporting that KFYR was now in their network? Did NDSU landing KFGO make KFYR rethink it's strategy? Mary also is broadcast on KFYR, so the AM 710 broadcast makes sense.

I'm glad you guys got yourselves a good radio deal, it sounds like a good deal anyway.

But please do keep it in perspective: how many homes are gathering around the family radio for a good listen, these days?

Probably a lot more when UND is playing. :glare::D

I'm glad you guys got yourselves a good radio deal, it sounds like a good deal anyway.

But please do keep it in perspective: how many homes are gathering around the family radio for a good listen, these days?

And how many hours a week do people spend in their vehicles whether it be for business, pleasure, family reasons, etc.?

Alot.

And how many businesses have radios playing in the background for their employees and customers to listen to?

Alot.

And when the teams are playing road games and there is no TV coverage, how many Sioux fans tune in to listen on the radio?

Alot.

Please go away. :glare:

Seems like sour grapes.

Weren't you guys celebrating the fact that NDSU will now be on both KFGO and KFYR? Now you're saying radio isn't important?

Now that it turns out that KFYR is in a non-exclusive deal with NDSU, and UND gets more newspaper coverage in Fargo, Jamestown, and Dickinson, as well as more TV coverage in Fargo, Bismarck, and Minot, and KFYR returns as the Bismarck radio station, who came out on top with the media musical chairs?

Radio: slight + to NDSU (more stations)

Broadcast TV: major ++'s to UND (WDAY-TV as well as Bismarck and Minot stations)

Newspapers: major ++'s UND, no remaining newspaper booster for NDSU

Satellite: landslide for UND (zip for NDSU)

Local cable/Midco: landslide for UND

National cable: no comparison, FCS/UND