SiouxSports.com Forum

WCHA Final 5 thoughts

AZSIOUX

• Replies 164
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Gonna pull the downer post. Has any team had to play the Thursday game, won it and then made it to the Frozen Four? It's a lot of games at the end of a long season when people are banged up especially when we had to go 3 this weekend.

If what i am reading is correct, we did in 2004-2005.

We played Wisconsion for the play in game on Thursday and won. Lost to DU the next day, won against UM the next day....beat BC and BU at regionals, beat UM again at the Frozen Four and then lost again to DU in the Frozen Four.

I would think so. We play against Dumbver (provided we beat UMD) and we'll need the rest. The Minnesota rule was just for them to sell more seats.

True, but the WCHA may look at UW and SCSU as a more attractive evening game...$$$

I see the official pre game party Thursday before the game is at Wild Tymes in St. Paul a few hours before the game. Is the same place as in past years? Is this the place to be? This will be my first Final Five so looking for the places to be. I assume it will be pretty crowded there but just wanted to see what the best pregame places to be are. Thanks!

I see the official pre game party Thursday before the game is at Wild Tymes in St. Paul a few hours before the game. Is the same place as in past years? Is this the place to be? This will be my first Final Five so looking for the places to be. I assume it will be pretty crowded there but just wanted to see what the best pregame places to be are. Thanks!

McGoverns and Tom Reids are pretty good as well, closer to the "X" and always has a good crowd of hockey fans pre and post game.

For those of you that have joined us before on here GPL is having a tailgate behind the Dairy Queen on Saturday again, it's usually a pretty good time. Good mix of team fans show up.

A couple people in our group can't make it to the Final Five so I need to sell their tickets and their room at the Holiday Inn. Two CLUB level tickets for all five games and one room with two beds at the Holiday Inn across from the X for thurs, fri, sat. Send me a message at kochia88@yahoo.com if you would like to discuss. Gonna be an AWESOME time - come on down!

A couple people in our group can't make it to the Final Five so I need to sell their tickets and their room at the Holiday Inn. Two CLUB level tickets for all five games and one room with two beds at the Holiday Inn across from the X for thurs, fri, sat. Send me a message at kochia88@yahoo.com if you would like to discuss. Gonna be an AWESOME time - come on down!

Okay, for us that have to work on Friday so we can't travel to the cities for the Thursday game, will it be televised? With Minnesota not being involved, I can see FSN having the Wild or the wonderful Timberwolves on instead.

Okay, for us that have to work on Friday so we can't travel to the cities for the Thursday game, will it be televised? With Minnesota not being involved, I can see FSN having the Wild or the wonderful Timberwolves on instead.

I could be wrong, but I believe that FSN will be covering all the games regardless that the goofs are not there. They have a contract to cover all these gaems year after year. So it should be on TV.

Gonna pull the downer post. Has any team had to play the Thursday game, won it and then made it to the Frozen Four? It's a lot of games at the end of a long season when people are banged up especially when we had to go 3 this weekend.

It would definetly be better to avoid the play in game, but a lot of these guys played in the USHL(60+ game schedule) and are still young men that are conditioned very well.

How cool will it be to NOT hear the gopher spelling chant (their MN rouser) played by a band a single time!?

that will be great even from the tv viewing :) hakstol just keeps ending the gophers season which is pretty sweet as its becoming a nice trend :)

i was messing with the pairwise predictor and duluth really needs this game vs the sioux. in a few ways i messed with it it had duluth dropping to 15th which would be season over for them if so. huge game overall but very huge for UMD

that will be great even from the tv viewing :) hakstol just keeps ending the gophers season which is pretty sweet as its becoming a nice trend :)

i was messing with the pairwise predictor and duluth really needs this game vs the sioux. in a few ways i messed with it it had duluth dropping to 15th which would be season over for them if so. huge game overall but very huge for UMD

UND has ended the Gophers season in 2005, 2007 and 2010. UND fans helped end the Gophers season in 2006 when Holy Cross defeated them.

So four(ish) out of the last six seasons. Can't wait for next year.

Yeah, this is a huge game for Duluth...they will be desperate and playing for their season.

I wonder if the Sioux will be able to match their intensity?

Yeah, this is a huge game for Duluth...they will be desperate and playing for their season.

I wonder if the Sioux will be able to match their intensity?

Ask Wehrs :)

Sidenote: Someone told me that tDon refused to shake hands with Hexy after the game...heard him say "I'm not shaking YOUR hand".

Ask Wehrs :)

Sidenote: Someone told me that tDon refused to shake hands with Hexy after the game...heard him say "I'm not shaking YOUR hand".

WOW, if thats accurate then it just goes to show how thin-skinned this Gopher program has become. I could possibly see him not shaking hands with Frattin as upset as Lucia was but why Hextall? I know he's good at talking smack but geez. Pretty unprofessional on Dons part as well......if it indeed did happen.

WOW, if thats accurate then it just goes to show how thin-skinned this Gopher program has become. I could possibly see him not shaking hands with Frattin as upset as Lucia was but why Hextall? I know he's good at talking smack but geez. Pretty unprofessional on Dons part as well......if it indeed did happen.

I find it hard to believe, myself. As intense as the rivalry is, Don is a classy guy. When the game is over he does the interviews and shakes hands. Sure, he gets heated and yells, but he understands that these are 18-21 year old kids not professionals.

That being said, I don't doubt he was/is talking to the league about certain plays, as I'm sure Hak was with the diving.

the handshake line was fine with tony lucia and all sioux players. actually frank and doug couldnt believe it expecting a brawl of course but all those players had many kind words for eachother. tony and hextall has a longer than normal moment patting eachother on chest ect....

go sioux, beat those dogs and go from there!

sidenote, i always root for umd as my 2nd team at the X but cant this year obviously. a sioux win could knock them out of ncaa tourney which would make 4 teams from wcha making tourney

Yeah, I could see Hill doing it. I wouldn't be surprised to see the University ask Lucia to change one or both of his assistants.

I think if I were a Gopher fan I'd want to be dumping Hill.

Now, the problem with the Gophers this year was playing consistently. I don't think you blame the youngest member of your coaching staff on that. Seriously that's got to come from the on-ice leadership.

Yeah, I could see Hill doing it. I wouldn't be surprised to see the University ask Lucia to change one or both of his assistants.

Agreed. Yeah, I think they will probably make Don find some new assistants. Hill going is fine by me, I'll jump for joy the day they boot him out the door. Potulny on the other hand is a tough one, I really like the thought of him as a coach at Minnesota but he just doesn't have the experience to coach at this level yet. If he does go I sure hope he comes back down the road though.

It's not accurate, I was at the game and saw the handshake. Every player from both sides shook the opposing coaches hand without any incident.