SiouxSports.com Forum

SIOUX @ CORNELL

AZSIOUX

• Replies 219
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Dominant weekend of hockey for the Sioux on the defensive side.

To hold Cornell to a combined 31 sog for the weekend is crazy, and only allow 2 goals.

Too bad they couldn't have won both, as they certainly played well enough to win both.

Keep it going against DU! They'll be hungry for points as well, as they will be coming off a weekend in Madison where they only got 1 point.

We had a great time in Ithaca and at the games at Cornell. Overall the Cornell fans were great with some of them being almost in awe that North Dakota came out there to play. These were the most common questions/comments made by other fans:

1. Did you drive all the way from North Dakota?

2. Your uniforms are really green. "Wow, they are so green!"

3. North Dakota is wearing different uniforms tonight! (Comment made in the 2nd period of Saturday night's game.)

4. What is your team's ranking? To which we replied with our national poll ranking, our Pairwise ranking, and our WCHA ranking. (After which, the woman from Cornell left glossy-eyed).

5. Do fans back where you live have funny chants like we do?

6. Our arena seats 4000+. Does your arena have that many?

7. We live in Framingham, MA, and it's funny. No one knows anything about North Dakota there.

8. Have you ever seen the movie "Fargo"?

And for the Cornell fan that complained about the referees all night and yelled "You moron!" when Gregoire scored the empty net goal......GET OVER IT!!!!!!!

Let's Go Sioux!!

From a CU perspective, I can't complain too much about the outcome because I thought that UND were the better team on both nights. The Sioux do a good job in the neutral zone and in their own end. Cornell never controlled the play for long like they have against other teams, even those from conferences comparable to the WCHA (I'm looking at you, University of No Hardware). After the Sioux jumped out to an early lead last night, they really defended their lead well and gave Cornell's forwards fits. Our top forwards like Gallagher and Nash were trying to generate some offense but just couldn't get their way against that tough UND defense. I expected this to be a tight-checking, low-scoring series and both games lived up to expectations. If these two teams were to meet again in the NCAA tournament, it would be an epic defensive battle.

Hope the North Dakota fans in attendance (and there were quite a few considering the distance between Grand Forks and Ithaca) enjoyed the experience. Don't mind the "Section O Sucks" chants......that's just part of the price of admission for any visitor.

Overall the Cornell fans were great with some of them being almost in awe that North Dakota came out there to play.

You can put me in that category. Being an RIT grad myself, I would love to have the Sioux play RIT in Rochester sometime. Our fans are just as passionate as Cornell's and would surely sell out the Blue Cross Arena for any games against premier college hockey teams like North Dakota. After all, even Colgate drew over 7,000!

So what's the answer to #5? Specifically, what are some of the creative chants that y'all come up with at the Ralph? I'm sure there are quite a few.

And for the Cornell fan that complained about the referees all night and yelled "You moron!" when Gregoire scored the empty net goal......GET OVER IT!!!!!!!

I want to know about the fan that had a "hard spot" with Malone such that you could hear it plainly over Tim Hennessy's broadcast. It even made Tim chuckle on air.

Let's Go Sioux!!

Well, I didn't yell you moron, so I guess I'm not that fan, but I did scream about the no-call that led to your winning goal. Maybe this post on eLynah will help:

I had two NoDak fans sitting next to me and they looked rather embarrassed at that goal. Both agreed it was a blatant penalty and should have been called (though, of course, they were pleased to score).
As I've said before, you guys have better players and deserved to win Fri., but to have the wind kicked out of you by that no-call, terrible. I'm proud of how the team kept trying, just think about the game if that was a penalty instead of a goal.

Well, I didn't yell you moron, so I guess I'm not that fan, but I did scream about the no-call that led to your winning goal. Maybe this post on eLynah will help:As I've said before, you guys have better players and deserved to win Fri., but to have the wind kicked out of you by that no-call, terrible. I'm proud of how the team kept trying, just think about the game if that was a penalty instead of a goal.

To be honest with you Cornell guy you should be lucky you got 2 points out of this weekend. You were playing a team that has two or three of its top players out and have been having some bad luck as of lately. I will give you credit for the win on Friday but lets be honest we don't hang banners in our rink for NCAA Tourny appearances we hang NCAA Championship banners. I think that says a lot of where the two programs are.

To be honest with you Cornell guy you should be lucky you got 2 points out of this weekend. You were playing a team that has two or three of its top players out and have been having some bad luck as of lately. I will give you credit for the win on Friday but lets be honest we don't hang banners in our rink for NCAA Tourny appearances we hang NCAA Championship banners. I think that says a lot of where the two programs are.

Gee thanks, I tell you that you have better players and deserved to win Fri.; so you rub it in my face. Maybe that's how you respond to a compliment, but it's not mine. If you want to discuss the programs, I'd be happy to do that, but not in that way. Look back at my former posts, I've been nothing but complimentary to your team and program. Oh well.

In retrospect the game on Friday should have been at least a tie the refs blew two calls on the goals, not the first time it has cost UND points, Ironic that it happened against between UND and CU and allowed them to win a game. what the heck the NHL blows calls too. If the Sioux had to play Cornell in the NCAA tourney again, I am not at all worried and I like our chances. The ECAC officials call the game very similar to the WCHA no consistency in the first two periods and then you have to kill your opponent to get a call in the third. The Vandy non call was the right call.

Coming down the pipe has a good point on the style of play in the ECAC. I can't believe people pay top dollar to watch team play the neutral zone trap want to watch a game like Friday night.

Friday's 1-0 victory for the Big Red has been called one of the most boring games in recent memory and that's a complaint I've heard a lot surrounding Cornell's ultra-defensive strategy. Full credit to Ben Scrivens

The ECAC always gives me fits. A lot of scouts have told me that it's brutal hockey (as in horrible, not super physical) and the little bits that I've been able to watch on TV or online haven't given me any reason to doubt that thought. I watched Yale and St. Lawrence last year in the playoffs... a was so bored to tears. Maybe because of that game I've never been able to get on board with Yale.

This weekend they were ranked #6 heading in and yet again they win one, lose one. Clarkson fell 3-2 to the Bulldogs on Friday but Saturday it was Yale that was victimized by the Saints of St.Lawrence. St.Lawrence's 4-2 win gives them a run of only 1 loss in their last 8 games. Maybe I'm not giving enough credit to Yale (or Cornell, Union, Quinnipiac, etc) because the Bulldogs do have a win against Ferris State and tied Wisconsin this year. I still would have a hard time thinking they'd be a .500 club if they were in the CCHA, WCHA or Hockey East. And that goes for all the ECAC programs. Great institutions for higher learning, no doubt about that, but I'm not a believer in them being on par with the other three conferences when it comes to producing hockey players.

Well, I didn't yell you moron, so I guess I'm not that fan, but I did scream about the no-call that led to your winning goal. Maybe this post on eLynah will help:As I've said before, you guys have better players and deserved to win Fri., but to have the wind kicked out of you by that no-call, terrible. I'm proud of how the team kept trying, just think about the game if that was a penalty instead of a goal.

It's not like Cornell is the first team to ever get screwed over non-calls though. It happens to everyone at some point. (see: UND's current season) I didn't watch or listen to the game since I had to work, but I've seen plenty of non calls lead to goals and Cornell should have found a way to overcome that if they deserved to win last night. And IF a penalty WAS called there's really no way of knowing if it would have changed the final result anyways. Would Cornell have scored on that powerplay had they gotten a penalty? Who knows. Non-calls go both ways, and I'm sure you know that.

It's not like Cornell is the first team to ever get screwed over non-calls though. It happens to everyone at some point. (see: UND's current season) I didn't watch or listen to the game since I had to work, but I've seen plenty of non calls lead to goals and Cornell should have found a way to overcome that if they deserved to win last night. And IF a penalty WAS called there's really no way of knowing if it would have changed the final result anyways. Would Cornell have scored on that powerplay had they gotten a penalty? Who knows. Non-calls go both ways, and I'm sure you know that.

Good points: I watched both games and there was a lot of blown calls and non calls that benefited both team up and down the ice. In last night's game the refs gave Cornell a string a power plays on ticky tacky calls and UND benefited as well.

yep, if any cornell fan would be lying if they said cornell didn't get away with any holding,clutching or grabbing last night or for that matter friday night as well.

Dumb post.

CornellHockey was polite and offered interesting insights into the Big Red program all week.

There is no need to throw down a "hang banners" "where the two programs are" (lame) slam on him.

This was a great series between two really good programs. Don't belittle either team's effort by resorting to playground tactics. It just makes UND and its fans look stupid.

Dumb post.

CornellHockey was polite and offered interesting insights into the Big Red program all week.

There is no need to throw down a "hang banners" "where the two programs are" (lame) slam on him.

This was a great series between two really good programs. Don't belittle either team's effort by resorting to playground tactics. It just makes UND and its fans look stupid.

we can save the hanging banners stuff for some of our WCHA foes. :(

Dumb post.

Thanks, one of the things that has kept me enjoying college hockey all these years (after all I came to Cornell when Ned Harkness came to coach) is that it's not only exciting, but after you can have a beer with your adversary. There's not a limited amount of fun out there; if we all try and make it better for each other, then we all gain. I met some nice UND fans and learned more about your school. For that I'm a better person and it makes it more enjoyable watching you when Cornell isn't there.

Well, it's probably time to move on, to each our conferences, and to hope we get to play one another in the playoffs. :(

Dumb post.

Ok Mikejm. I am sorry CornellHockey. I didn't mean to hurt your feelings. I also apologize to Mikejm for he is the posting guru.

Ok Mikejm. I am sorry CornellHockey. I didn't mean to hurt your feelings. I also apologize to Mikejm for he is the posting guru.

:(

IronFist and CornellHockey aside, there WAS one Cornell poster on this board (though, to give the benefit of the doubt, it Might have been UND's hockey blog Brad Schlossman writes as he does get a fair deal of morons commenting on his blog) that made ONE classless post....

I can't remember who, but I could SWEAR it had Lynah in the handle.

In any case, I would THINK that opposing posters could come here and, provided they:

1. Understood that this site is PRO-UND in every sense of the word

2. Understood that their team is probably not going to be fawned over that much

3. Treat the posters with respect

They could expect to be treated likewise.

We've had a ton of non-UND posters here that have come on this board and acted respectful. CornellHockey is one of them along with Sagard, Greyeagle, 31-9, UMD had 2 at one point, MeanEgirl and Puck Swami peeked in occasionally, etc.

I guess I'm another "poster guru" :p but I think that atmosphere would make SiouxSports a better place than the places we cite as being so tasteless.

From a CU perspective, I can't complain too much about the outcome because I thought that UND were the better team on both nights. The Sioux do a good job in the neutral zone and in their own end. Cornell never controlled the play for long like they have against other teams, even those from conferences comparable to the WCHA (I'm looking at you, University of No Hardware). After the Sioux jumped out to an early lead last night, they really defended their lead well and gave Cornell's forwards fits. Our top forwards like Gallagher and Nash were trying to generate some offense but just couldn't get their way against that tough UND defense. I expected this to be a tight-checking, low-scoring series and both games lived up to expectations. If these two teams were to meet again in the NCAA tournament, it would be an epic defensive battle.

Hope the North Dakota fans in attendance (and there were quite a few considering the distance between Grand Forks and Ithaca) enjoyed the experience. Don't mind the "Section O Sucks" chants......that's just part of the price of admission for any visitor.

Dude, with all due respect...you (Cornell) is equivalent to a 5th place squad in WCHA. St Cloud, UMD, CC, Denver, UMN- Twin Cities, Mankato, all have tougher or equal places to play. Your 4200 seat arena has some character...but nothing different than 4-8 teams in the WCHA. I agree with others, ECAC should be name ECEZ. (easy)