SiouxSports.com Forum

Who has a HD TV ?

Fetch

As of about a week ago, Target was selling 52" Sony 1080p LCD's for $1199, which is a fantastic price for that high of a quality TV.

I have a 42" LG Plasma that I bought about 3 years ago and I am very happy with it. I would recommend going with an LCD if you are buying one today, however.

I have a Samsung 46" and love it. Some things I would recommend (your link didn't work for me)

- 120 Hz

- Resolution see this article: http://hd.engadget.com/2006/12/09/1080p-ch...to-screen-size/

- www.monoprice.com for cables (don't make the "Monster" mistake)

- HDMI will vastly improve image quality and sound over an HD signal on a coaxial cable

- Do not buy into the whole "contrast ratio" debate, it is a pure marketing ploy (TONS of articles on this on the web)

- Make sure you actually go look at the TV in the store (im sure you have already)

- Avoid plasma

- DO buy an extended warranty

I wish I could add a bit more but this is all I can think of off hand. If you have any specific questions leave a reply here or a PM. I'll go a head and try my other computer to see if the link works and edit this post, with any specifics. I don't want to come across as a "know it all" because I don't, but I recently bought one myself and helped my parents buy one so I did quite a bit of research.

EDIT: Looks like a steal to me, my Samsung is comparable and cost me a shade over $1300.

I'm also looking into finally getting an HDTV. Does anyone have any experience with the newer generation projection HDTV's? I've been thinking of going with a projection over an LCD or Plasma because you can get larger screen sizes. I've seen them advertised up to 82", which I would love, but don't know how much picture quality/clarity I'd be sacrificing compared to an LCD, LED, or Plasma.

I'm also looking into finally getting an HDTV. Does anyone have any experience with the newer generation projection HDTV's? I've been thinking of going with a projection over an LCD or Plasma because you can get larger screen sizes. I've seen them advertised up to 82", which I would love, but don't know how much picture quality/clarity I'd be sacrificing compared to an LCD, LED, or Plasma.

They are good looking tvs. I did consider DLP, but the overall size (not screen size) was too large as I'll be moving a lot in the next couple of years. The only thing you'll really be sacrificing is viewing angle and the bulb needs to be replaced.

Depending on how dark the room is and how bright the projector, I'm pretty sure you can go up to 300" screen on a front projector.

I have a 40" Sony Bravia LCD that I got a couple years ago. I just have an over the air antenna hooked up to it, all the broadcast networks come in HD. Looks good. Also have a Blu Ray player connected via HDMI and that looks great as well.

I bought my plasma from Team Electronics in Fargo. They matched the cheapest price I could find on the internet (which was much less than I could find at any box store including Sams), installed it for cheap and were much more knowledgeable than the pions at Best Buy. I have a 50" Panasonic and really enjoy it.

xl hammer is right. The important factor is refresh rate. For watching puck, you'll want at least a 120 refresh rate. Generally, the higher the contrast rate, the better the picture quality. If your room has windows, you'll want an LCD (glare on plasma). For brands, be sure to compare apples-to-apples/model # to model # when price shopping. I personally prefer Samsung, LG, Sharp and Mitsubishi. Do not buy a $100 HDMI cord - they all relay a digital signal. Go to Menards, or wherever, or on the web and pick one up for $30.

I bought my plasma from Team Electronics in Fargo. They matched the cheapest price I could find on the internet (which was much less than I could find at any box store including Sams), installed it for cheap and were much more knowledgeable than the pions at Best Buy. I have a 50" Panasonic and really enjoy it.

Bought a 50" Panasonic plasma for my basement 2 weeks ago. The picture in HD is astounding. SD is very good also. I know it's been only 2 weeks, but I'm very pleased with it so far.

xl hammer is right. The important factor is refresh rate. For watching puck, you'll want at least a 120 refresh rate. Generally, the higher the contrast rate, the better the picture quality. If your room has windows, you'll want an LCD (glare on plasma). For brands, be sure to compare apples-to-apples/model # to model # when price shopping. I personally prefer Samsung, LG, Sharp and Mitsubishi. Do not buy a $100 HDMI cord - they all relay a digital signal. Go to Menards, or wherever, or on the web and pick one up for $30.

You are right on the contrast ratio, I could go on how that's a load for hours. Within companies the testing, albeit skewed, is done "consistently" but comparing contrast ratio between a LG and a Samsung will get you no where fast. The Mono Price site I listed has HDMI for less than $10, I got 2 3' cables and it was like $13 total (shipping included). I've even read articles on refresh rates greater than 120hz isn't very appreciable, but it can't hurt. All it is is an interpolation done by the TV since all signals sent to the TV are at max 60hz, but it works quite well. Like I said mine is "only" 120hz and the puck slides just as nice as if you were in the REA.

I bought a 61" Samsung LED DLP TV almost two years ago. It's FANTASTIC! At the time, DLP produced richer color and better blacks than LCD. I'm not sure about how they compare now since I'm not "actively" researching. The main knock when the DLP TVs first came out was the "rainbow effect" and the need to replace the projection bulb, but that is eliminated with the LED light engine and the subsequent removal of the color wheel. When I bought my TV, similar-sized LCDs were double the price, and not necessarily better picture quality. The price gap is definitely not so much now.

-------------

As for general research tips, I echo pretty much everything xl Hammer lx says. I also buy my cables from monoprice.com.

A resource I used a lot when researching my TV purchase was AVS FORUM. Google it.

I bought a 61" Samsung LED DLP TV almost two years ago. It's FANTASTIC! At the time, DLP produced richer color and better blacks than LCD. I'm not sure about how they compare now since I'm not "actively" researching. The main knock when the DLP TVs first came out was the "rainbow effect" and the need to replace the projection bulb, but that is eliminated with the LED light engine and the subsequent removal of the color wheel. When I bought my TV, similar-sized LCDs were double the price, and not necessarily better picture quality. The price gap is definitely not so much now.

-------------

As for general research tips, I echo pretty much everything xl Hammer lx says. I also buy my cables from monoprice.com.

A resource I used a lot when researching my TV purchase was AVS FORUM. Google it.

So do you have 3 DLP chips or does the LED light source just change colors however many times per second?

So do you have 3 DLP chips or does the LED light source just change colors however many times per second?

My set has 1 DLP chip and three individual LEDs (red, green, blue).

I'm not sure where the DLP light engine technology is at these days, but when I was researching my set Mitsubishi was on the verge of using a laser light engine. I don't know if they are currently using that or not.

I'm also not even sure you can get a Samsung DLP any more...

My set has 1 DLP chip and three individual LEDs (red, green, blue).

I'm not sure where the DLP light engine technology is at these days, but when I was researching my set Mitsubishi was on the verge of using a laser light engine. I don't know if they are currently using that or not.

I'm also not even sure you can get a Samsung DLP any more...

I've only heard of having 3 DLP chips and three light sources (RGB). Then all three mirrors for a given pixel could be on (white), off (black) or a combination (RGB).

Wouldn't surprise me if rear projection goes away.

LED LCD look pretty darn good and will eventually be very cheap to manufacture. Then for those who are into home theater there will be a few higher end front projectors.

Just get yourself one of these (when it comes out):

samsungudtv-lg.jpg

82"

2160p (4 times great resolution than a 1080p tv)

What you'd use it for? I dunno, it wouldn't look any better than what's already available because nothing is shown in 2160p, but you can say you have the best! :)

I've only heard of having 3 DLP chips and three light sources (RGB). Then all three mirrors for a given pixel could be on (white), off (black) or a combination (RGB).

Wouldn't surprise me if rear projection goes away.

LED LCD look pretty darn good and will eventually be very cheap to manufacture. Then for those who are into home theater there will be a few higher end front projectors.

I read an article about how one manufacturer was showing off a TV at the CES that featured yellow added as a fourth color. They "SAY" it's supposed to enhance the picture more than you can imagine...I'll wait to see for myself before judging though.

I read an article about how one manufacturer was showing off a TV at the CES that featured yellow added as a fourth color. They "SAY" it's supposed to enhance the picture more than you can imagine...I'll wait to see for myself before judging though.

Marketing ploy, nothing more.