• Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

My Sioux Xmas Wish List:

Goal Scoring Net Crashers

D that stands em up at the blue line

and refs that don't make my blood pressure rise

I'll save the National Championship for my St. Patrick's Day Wishlist ;)

I like your list as well, I wonder if UND doesn't have to maybe slow the games down a bit till Chay gets back?

I hate that kind of hockey but I have seen way too many forwards crusing past our defense as of late.

I'd like league officials that actually care about the safety of the players on the ice.

I'd like league officials who are disinterested in outcomes but interested equal and consistent enforcement of the rule book.

Give me that and everything else I'd want would naturally follow.

Sica-

THAT is a wish list.

That Aerosmith song sums it up best though:

Dream On

Not sure where else to put this, so in the Xmas thread it goes. ;)

Article in the Herald that visited the REA this past weekend, his 124th hockey rink:

http://www.grandforksherald.com/event/arti...ublisher_ID/40/

Some more details from the Sioux blog:

* This has the atmosphere of a Frozen Four game, but people here just call it a Saturday night.

* REA and UND does such an incredible job honoring the Sioux heritage that it amazes me that the NCAA would ever consider sanctioning a team that honors Native Americans.

* Unlike other modern venues, it perfectly and tastefully captures the great history.

* It's a good thing I waited until No. 124 for this, because otherwise it would have ruined it for all of the other rinks.

* The student section has prime seats, rather than jamming them in the corners or ends -- a salute to true fans.

* Sometimes I could not mind the action because I was so mezmorized by the detail of the arena. Seemingly nothing was out of place, except for a few Wisconsin fans.

I wonder if UND doesn't have to maybe slow the games down a bit till Chay gets back?

I definitely see where you are coming from, but I believe Hak has a "ride the storm out" mentality. If we switch to that style of game now, that means there might be some chemistry lost between the players that are still playing and somewhat "re-learn" the current style later on. As long as we don't start getting swept, and at least manage a split here and there, we SHOULD be ok for the short-term. This team has to start sweeping teams that we're better than....like pretty much everyone other than the top few teams of our league. I know that's a lot to ask, but we don't seem to be playing above our capabilities ever, like many teams seem to do when they play us. It'd be nice to just go steamroll a few teams for a change. There's talent on the team to do so, but we never seem to put together a 120 minute weekend. Maybe some more intense off-season training...?

to take a trip down memory lane as the last time UND had this many freshman was 2005-2006 and these were the standing at x-mas that year:

UW 24 pts

DU 19 pts

UM 19pts

CC 19pts

duluth 13 pts

und 12 pts overal all record 12-7-1 wcha 6-6

scsu 9 pts

msum 9ts

uaa 7 pts

tech 7 pts

final standings

um 43 pts

du 37 pts

uw 37 pts

und 32 pts

cc 32 pts

scsu 28 pts

msum 27 pts

tech 18 pts

duluth 15 pts

anchorage 11 pts

if you look at the first half of this year and that year there really isn't much difference of where the sioux stand and we did end up making the frozen four that year and winning the final five. so anything is possible. the sioux didn't make there run that season until february and march. I'm guessing with health issues that could occur again this season.

to take a trip down memory lane as the last time UND had this many freshman was 2005-2006 and these were the standing at x-mas that year:

You sure you want to go down this road?

Compare the 05-06 Freshman class with this year's. Here, I'll help get the discussion started:

I wasn't doing this to compare the talent of each class, but rather the number of freshman in each class. although some would say this years class has some talent. although everyone keeps bringing up the youth factor and that year the squad had some youth as well.

I think your point is valid. This year has almost as many freshmen, the class isn't ranked as high and the team has injury problems. Yet the record is actually better than that 05-06 class at this point. It shows that people should have expected some struggles early in the season, and that the team has plenty of possibilities to improve. This year's class may not be as gifted as that one, but there are plenty of good hockey players on this team. They need to get healthy and take that next step in the learning process. Then they should be able to compete with anyone in the country and do it consistently (it's the consistency part that is missing right now).

I wasn't doing this to compare the talent of each class, but rather the number of freshman in each class. although some would say this years class has some talent. although everyone keeps bringing up the youth factor and that year the squad had some youth as well.

I think this years freshman while there aren't any blue chippers I think there is more balance...

the mature issue ont his team just doesn't lie with the freshman. there is a certain defenseman who shall remain nameless that wears number 24 that needs to stop being so reckless soemtimes. don't get me wrong I really like how he is developing but there have been a few times this year where he loses his composure and starts taking dumb penalties-sat night for one and in denver where he took like 5 or 6 penalties on the weekend.

the mature issue ont his team just doesn't lie with the freshman. there is a certain defenseman who shall remain nameless that wears number 24 that needs to stop being so reckless soemtimes. don't get me wrong I really like how he is developing but there have been a few times this year where he loses his composure and starts taking dumb penalties-sat night for one and in denver where he took like 5 or 6 penalties on the weekend.

It seems like it is some time during the 2nd half of the 2nd season that the big defensemen of the last several years learned to control those emotions. Let's hope that #24 follows that pattern.

On second thought, I think we can safely curtail any discussion comparing the two classes.

Don't get me wrong; I like this year's team. But there is no way to draw parallels between ^this freshman class and what is on the ice today.

There's a world of difference between the two teams as well. First, there were four legitimate NHL forwards on that team, plus a Hobey winner. Second, and more important, the overall defensive group this year is much, much better. That list of recruits you posted included three true freshmen on defense, plus another who accelerated. MacWilliam (this year) is miles ahead of any of them (that year) in defensive play. Their inexperience was the difference at the end, sadly.

There's a world of difference between the two teams as well. First, there were four legitimate NHL forwards on that team, plus a Hobey winner. Second, and more important, the overall defensive group this year is much, much better. That list of recruits you posted included three true freshmen on defense, plus another who accelerated. MacWilliam (this year) is miles ahead of any of them (that year) in defensive play. Their inexperience was the difference at the end, sadly.

world of difference in goal as well, however, ironically it was parise's worst game in the biggest game that was that team's downfall.

This years team has so much potential. Only problem is they are floundering in games. If they can start taking less stupid penalties and learn to protect a lead plus couple it with dependable goaltending this team can be playing in March. This team has played just fine with every top team they've played. Just aren't sealing the deal...which is frustrating to see! ;)

So my Sioux Xmas list is for everyone to come back healthy and return from break as a team that can play a whole game of hockey.

And I wouldn't mind having an awesome second half of the season. Maybe string a couple win streaks here and there. ;)

This team doesn't have the makeup to have a long and consistently great season. However, I think they have a great makeup for the playoffs. The team has shown great spurts in all aspects of the game, and if they can put together a four-game streak of all those things, they'll bring home #8. First, they have to make the tournament, and the second half of the season is going to be a tough one. They'll have to start winning, and consistently doing it. No weekends off.

I'm just hoping we can hold our heads above water through a brutal january schedule and stillbe in good position nationally and in the wcha and hope Chay can come back by sometime in February. however, I have a gut feeling he returns for the Denver series and things get ratcheded up a notch.