SiouxSports.com Forum

Sioux Xmas Wish List

brianvf

I'm just hoping we can hold our heads above water through a brutal january schedule and stillbe in good position nationally and in the wcha and hope Chay can come back by sometime in February. however, I have a gut feeling he returns for the Denver series and things get ratcheded up a notch.

yes, i agree. once we get chay back it will get very interesting! he makes the sioux a ncaa title contender. thats my take on chay and i think the record shows as well how much he means to the sioux

• Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

How can we get the most out of our entire lineup? I think this is an interesting question, because our depth...despite its youth...is at defense. Fienhage has been nothing short of great for how much ice time he has seen over the course of his year and a half with the Sioux team, and makes strides every game he plays. The team needs to play its best guys every game, and taking Fienhage out when Genoway comes back is a mistake, in my opinion. Fienhage, who is arguably our "worst" defenseman who plays on a regular basis (based on playing time and excluding the likes of Hill), is better than our worst forwards.

Let's face it, we've had a few hiccups on defense and in net here and there, but we have had a lot of trouble scoring consistently. Many of our forwards are not producing like they need to to take this team up another notch. Teams like Denver and Wisconsin are getting scoring from all over, with consistent scoring by their top lines. We are not getting that.

So, when Genoway comes back....do we take Fienhage out of the lineup again? Or can we take out an inconsistent forward, and move Genoway up to a forward position, therefore putting our best players on the ice. Fienhage has proven his worth, and taking him back out would not only be a detriment to this season, but future seasons as well.

I know it's a controversial move, but Genoway has all the skills to be an exceptional forward. The move might be a change that makes sizeable results, like Miller going to defense last year.

Imagine putting Genoway with Gregoire, Trupper, Kristo, or Malone? I'd add Vande Velde, but he's been pretty poor this year. We could then leave the defense to remain the way it is. We have Gleason, Marto, and Blood to move the puck up the ice when needed....one player for each D pairing.

Picture this: Malone centering Genoway and Kristo with Blood and MacWilliam on defense as a premier lineup on the team.

It's just a thought, so don't hate, and in no way am I trying to knock Genoway. I just think it fits best with what we need and how to keep the best players on the ice.

How can we get the most out of our entire lineup? I think this is an interesting question, because our depth...despite its youth...is at defense. Fienhage has been nothing short of great for how much ice time he has seen over the course of his year and a half with the Sioux team, and makes strides every game he plays. The team needs to play its best guys every game, and taking Fienhage out when Genoway comes back is a mistake, in my opinion. Fienhage, who is arguably our "worst" defenseman who plays on a regular basis (based on playing time and excluding the likes of Hill), is better than our worst forwards.

Let's face it, we've had a few hiccups on defense and in net here and there, but we have had a lot of trouble scoring consistently. Many of our forwards are not producing like they need to to take this team up another notch. Teams like Denver and Wisconsin are getting scoring from all over, with consistent scoring by their top lines. We are not getting that.

So, when Genoway comes back....do we take Fienhage out of the lineup again? Or can we take out an inconsistent forward, and move Genoway up to a forward position, therefore putting our best players on the ice. Fienhage has proven his worth, and taking him back out would not only be a detriment to this season, but future seasons as well.

I know it's a controversial move, but Genoway has all the skills to be an exceptional forward. The move might be a change that makes sizeable results, like Miller going to defense last year.

Imagine putting Genoway with Gregoire, Trupper, Kristo, or Malone? I'd add Vande Velde, but he's been pretty poor this year. We could then leave the defense to remain the way it is. We have Gleason, Marto, and Blood to move the puck up the ice when needed....one player for each D pairing.

Picture this: Malone centering Genoway and Kristo with Blood and MacWilliam on defense as a premier lineup on the team.

It's just a thought, so don't hate, and in no way am I trying to knock Genoway. I just think it fits best with what we need and how to keep the best players on the ice.

fienhage has been very solid for being thrown right into the fire. i wouldnt sit him nightly when genoway gets back. you could rotate guys out as genoway needs to be on that blueline to make this team click and have a chance to get back to the frozen 4. genoway could step in and play forward without a hic up imo but he is so needed on this blueline. i think marto and lapoint need to step their game up for this 2nd half if in there nightly when genoway returns. gleason as well. the 3 best d men have been blood fienhage and macwilliam. the key is getting chay back on the blueline and i think other things trickle down from there for everyone else

Play the 09 WCHA Defensive Player of the Year as a forward? :silly:

I agree with AZSioux, we need Genoway on the blueline. He's harder to defend against back there, plus he's our best dman at starting the rush up ice. IMO if you put him as a forward he loses a lot of his effectiveness.

I don't like sitting Fienhage, but I don't think the answer is to move Chay up.

I agree with AZSioux, we need Genoway on the blueline. He's harder to defend against back there, plus he's our best dman at starting the rush up ice. IMO if you put him as a forward he loses a lot of his effectiveness.

I agree, at this point you probably don't want to move Chay. You can rotate most of the other defensemen, especially Marto, LaPoint, Gleason and Fienhage. One game off every other weekend isn't a bad thing. Include Blood and MacWilliams if they seem to need a break, for instance if Blood has a game where he takes several bad penalties you give him a day off to get back on track. Marto and Gleason are also candidates to play a little bit at forward if needed, I think Marto might have done so at least 1 game last year. And there could be more injuries to deal with later in the season. Several key players have missed time in the latter part of the season during the past several years. It's nice to have some options, and extra parts to move around.

Who do you take out, when Chay come back he is on the blue line. Gleason has been pretty good, MacWilliam is a monster and plays against the other teams top lines with Chay out. Blood is doing well and Lapoint and Marto are coming out.

Who do you take out, when Chay come back he is on the blue line. Gleason has been pretty good, MacWilliam is a monster and plays against the other teams top lines with Chay out. Blood is doing well and Lapoint and Marto are coming out.

lapoint and marto need to step it up but thats just me. juniors that have played many games back there that can give this team a surge if they play to their capiblity or are they playing at their capabilty and thats what they are? im not sure i guess right now but im leaning to the 2nd choice. its not a bad thing but i thought when chay went down that those 2 needed to step up and that hasnt happened to the point needed. not slamming the guys for those who may think that but just my 2 cents. when genoway gets back i sit gleason and see how that 6 work out as we havent seen that this season with genoway and fienhage in. marto can take that 2nd pp unit load on and see what happens. he showed very nice things vs usa. hope that continues

not a chance in hell hak moves chay to forward. he has been on the record numerous times stating he wants chay ont he blue line.

lapoint and marto need to step it up but thats just me. juniors that have played many games back there that can give this team a surge if they play to their capiblity or are they playing at their capabilty and thats what they are? im not sure i guess right now but im leaning to the 2nd choice. its not a bad thing but i thought when chay went down that those 2 needed to step up and that hasnt happened to the point needed. not slamming the guys for those who may think that but just my 2 cents. when genoway gets back i sit gleason and see how that 6 work out as we havent seen that this season with genoway and fienhage in. marto can take that 2nd pp unit load on and see what happens. he showed very nice things vs usa. hope that continues

I think Marto has played well. I don't know I have seen almost every game this season and I think he is fine.

LaPoint has been unimpressive this season in my opinion.

I think Marto has played well. I don't know I have seen almost every game this season and I think he is fine.

LaPoint has been unimpressive this season in my opinion.

marto has been fine but i guess i was referring to when genoway went down and who i expected to pick up some slack. we all know chay isnt replacebale but when a top player goes down a couple others have to step it up a little

marto has been fine but i guess i was referring to when genoway went down and who i expected to pick up some slack. we all know chay isnt replacebale but when a top player goes down a couple others have to step it up a little

Hopefully these guys having to suck it up while Genoway has been down will pay dividends down the road, it's pushed the learning curve a little faster than normal and should help for the stretch run if Chay returns.

I hope.

I think LaPoint isn't as fast as he was (not that he was a speedster to begin with) before the injury but that injury was very serious. It's going to take time to regain that form and he's not fully back to normal yet.

I still think LaPoint is one of our better PK defensemen.

I also can't tell you what I'd do about the D Corps without Genoway. I don't see this D Corps as being the same makeup at all. Genoway is very offensive in his play. Fienhage isn't a good replacement because he's NOT that kind of player. He's a solid (or will be anyways) defensive defenseman. Whenever you take offense out of the lineup and you can't replace it with an offensive player, offense will suffer.

I think LaPoint's role has changed since juniors and I think he's done well in it.

I also think that Marto's role was different than I envisioned. I thought he'd be another Genoway. He's not.

I'm most surprised about Blood in the offensive zone. I thought he'd be another Greene! I guess he, too, has offensive talents. I only saw him once while he was with SSM, but I didn't see him factor in at all offensively. WOW.

The D Corps will struggle offensively until Chay returns. So, I look to the FORWARDS to step up.

As much as it hurts to not have Chay, it takes a team to win a championship. Genoway gets major minutes, but isn't on the ice more than he is. In the end, if the team makes the tournament, it's going to take everyone to do something...Chay helps, but he's only one piece of a big puzzle.

Also...on the moving Chay to forward thing....

BC was looking for a spark in the 2006-07 season, and later in the year they switched Brian Boyle (a huge, skilled D-man) to forward, and it payed dividends carrying them to the title game before losing to Michigan State. So, call me crazy, but it shouldn't be thrown out as a possibility "just cuz".

Also...on the moving Chay to forward thing....

BC was looking for a spark in the 2006-07 season, and later in the year they switched Brian Boyle (a huge, skilled D-man) to forward, and it payed dividends carrying them to the title game before losing to Michigan State. So, call me crazy, but it shouldn't be thrown out as a possibility "just cuz".

Uh... Genoway did bounce back and forth between wing and D his freshman year IIRC.

Towards the end of the year, Hakstol put him solely at D and that's where he played ever since.

But yeah, anywhere you put him, he'll succeed.

I was hoping for similar things from Marto. He's solid, but I thought he had the same ability Genoway have to be able to play forward if need be.

Uh... Genoway did bounce back and forth between wing and D his freshman year IIRC.

Towards the end of the year, Hakstol put him solely at D and that's where he played ever since.

But yeah, anywhere you put him, he'll succeed.

I was hoping for similar things from Marto. He's solid, but I thought he had the same ability Genoway have to be able to play forward if need be.

Thanks for at least being open-minded redwing. :silly:

I'm not saying it will be a be-all-end-all sure-fire way to be a great team, but with the way Fienhage has drastically improved, it'd be hard to take him out. You can't take out Blood, Marto, LaPoint, MacWilliam. So, that leaves Genoway, Gleason, and Fienhage all fighting for two spots. Chay is obviously the most deserving, but none have played themselves out of the lineup. Knight and Rowney on the other hand, are two freshmen who haven't put up many points. Knight came in a year early. So, why not keep the best players on the ice by moving Genoway up to forward where he can still be that offensive threat, but still knows how to grind it out on defense thanks to his many days as a defenseman. Then, rotate Knight and Rowney to keep them on the ice and continue to develop.

If we were going to do something similar, then we would move Blood to forward. :silly:

Thanks for at least being open-minded redwing. :silly:

I'm not saying it will be a be-all-end-all sure-fire way to be a great team, but with the way Fienhage has drastically improved, it'd be hard to take him out. You can't take out Blood, Marto, LaPoint, MacWilliam. So, that leaves Genoway, Gleason, and Fienhage all fighting for two spots. Chay is obviously the most deserving, but none have played themselves out of the lineup. Knight and Rowney on the other hand, are two freshmen who haven't put up many points. Knight came in a year early. So, why not keep the best players on the ice by moving Genoway up to forward where he can still be that offensive threat, but still knows how to grind it out on defense thanks to his many days as a defenseman. Then, rotate Knight and Rowney to keep them on the ice and continue to develop.

I wouldn't discount Rowney. I didn't see him as a goal scorer, regardless of what he did in juniors. I see him as a defensive forward, a grinder, who can score on occasion. I think he'll develop into an Erik Fabian type player.

Corbin Knight... well, of those you list (Cichy was unlisted but he's in the same boat as Knight), looks like a true freshman on the ice to me. We've seen freshmen, Sioux or otherwise, come onto the ice and seem to be electric right away, but Knight fits the mold of gradual improvement over a period of time. I think he's shown flashes of brilliance, but when another freshman (Kristo) is out performing you by leaps and bounds... it's hard.

Cichy's speed was a concern before he came to UND. Even scouting reports talked about that. Cichy and Knight both play right now like they're trying to get used to the game and find their role on the team simultaneously. In my armchair coaching position, that's an extremely difficult task.

Who would I sit? I would probably rotate Bruno, Cichy, and Knight and leave Rowney in the game. I think the true odd man out is Davidson. I don't think he has much of a role on this team any longer.

I wouldn't discount Rowney. I didn't see him as a goal scorer, regardless of what he did in juniors. I see him as a defensive forward, a grinder, who can score on occasion. I think he'll develop into an Erik Fabian type player.

Corbin Knight... well, of those you list (Cichy was unlisted but he's in the same boat as Knight), looks like a true freshman on the ice to me. We've seen freshmen, Sioux or otherwise, come onto the ice and seem to be electric right away, but Knight fits the mold of gradual improvement over a period of time. I think he's shown flashes of brilliance, but when another freshman (Kristo) is out performing you by leaps and bounds... it's hard.

Cichy's speed was a concern before he came to UND. Even scouting reports talked about that. Cichy and Knight both play right now like they're trying to get used to the game and find their role on the team simultaneously. In my armchair coaching position, that's an extremely difficult task.

Who would I sit? I would probably rotate Bruno, Cichy, and Knight and leave Rowney in the game. I think the true odd man out is Davidson. I don't think he has much of a role on this team any longer.