SiouxSports.com Forum

SIOUX @ DENVER

AZSIOUX

Liking those combos.

Thought maybe they'd put Fienhage out with Marto or LaPoint, but this way they'll know what they're getting out of him in a hurry while sending a message to him that he needs to step it up and bring the "A" game.

I am thinking your going to see the best four defensman play the most.

• Replies 186
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

Hak pre-game comments:

In Progress...

A dump puck is not a giveaway. You have to get in there and get it. We need to make good decisions. Need to do things that have given us success. That's take care of the puck and do things that have worked for us.

There's some thought process to the lines tonight, obviously. Vande and Malone have played well together. Toews has been one of our best offensive players this year. Hextall and Gregoire played well together last year. We don't have to change a lot but we need to increase the number of goals.

It's a good rivalry. I think the game is played hard. Is there some bitter intesity...yes. But that's hockey. There's one reporter who wants to make a big deal out of this, and if that's his thing, that's okay.

Chevrie, the fact that he's playing, he's ready. He was cleared fully by their doctors early Wednesday. He's been on the ice. He'll be ready. We've had some success with him in the past, but he's off to a great start this year. We just have to get pucks on him and do what we can.

So, some of these are not really evident anymore, but in honor of us playing Denver....and cause I remembered it. A friend of mine wrote an article back in the fall of 2005 for the Dakota Student. I pasted it below for your enjoyment and to see if you would like to add anything now.IF YOU NEED REASONS TO HATE Denver!

If you remember last season, I created a list of reasons on why you should despise the University of Minnesota hockey team. I did this to inspire the campus before our big Frozen Four matchup with the Gophers, and to vent my hatred for the school.

As you all know, the Sioux defeated the buck-toothed rodents and moved on to the national championship game. There they met the Denver Pioneers, who defeated us 4-1. This filled me, as well as many other Sioux fans, with lots of resentment toward that particular team. So to inspire the campus once again for when the Pioneers come to Grand Forks this weekend, here are the top five reasons to hate Denver University.

Five: Adam Berkhoel

I can hear most of you saying, "Who the hell is this guy?" Well, in 2004 Berkhoel broke our hearts. That season, the Sioux were stacked - with Hobey Baker candidates Zach Parise and Brandon Bochenski leading the way. We were well on our way to winning the national championship that year, until we met Denver in the regional.

For some unknown reason, Berkhoel suddenly learned how to become a goalie right before the game, and stopped us for a 1-0 victory. Even though he is no longer on the team, Berkhoel's fluke performance is the fifth reason to hate Denver.

Four: George Gwozdecky

You know, if there were awards for the biggest !@#!$! in college hockey, this guy would win - followed closely behind by Doug Woog. Gwozdecky is the head coach of Denver University, and his stupidity should make you want to deck him.

After defeating us in the national championship last year, ESPN reporters hustled onto the ice to interview Gwozdecky. When asked how he felt about the win, Gwozdecky replied "How's my tie look?" That's the first thing you have to say after winning back-to-back titles? The fact that this guy is so ridiculously lame is reason number four.

Three: That Dumbass Logo

Okay, I'm sure you have seen Denver's logo by now, and I'm sure many of you have said, "What the heck is that supposed to be?" In my opinion, it looks like a half-eaten cherry pie, or a badly deformed Frisbee. According to Denver's Web site, it is supposed to be a red-tailed hawk. They chose it because the birds are supposedly numerous in that area.

Now correct me if I'm wrong, but isn't your team called the Pioneers? What does a damn bird have to do with pioneering? By that kind of logic, the Sioux should chance their logo from the Native American head to a squirrel because hell, there sure are a lot of squirrels in town. This pathetic logic is reason number three.

Two: Geoff Paukovich

This is a name that will be remembered for years to come in the minds of Sioux fans. For those who don't know, Paukovich is the guy whose cheap shot broke Robbie Bina's neck, and ended his season at the WCHA Final Five last year. For his vicious hit, Paukovich was given a measly two-minute minor penalty for boarding by Referee Don "I just make stuff up as I go" Adam. This enraged fans at the Final Five, and the WCHA was forced to cover up their ass a week later by issuing a one-game suspension to Paukovich. So students, if you want to taunt one guy this weekend, pick him. He wears number 12.

One: Their Insane Luck

Denver's luck started when they defeated us in the national championship in 1958 and 1968, costing us two titles. After dropping off the face of the earth for quite awhile, they returned again to break our hearts, as well as two other teams.

In 2004, a timely goal late in the game beat us in the West Regional, and a lucky shot through traffic cost Maine the national title that same year. Last season, Denver barely beat us in the Final Five, sent Bemidji State fans home depressed after beating them in overtime in the regional, and then beat us again in the national championship - with the help of the referees taking away a potential Sioux goal and whatever momentum that we had. That is reason number one.

So there you have it, folks. Denver is quickly becoming our second biggest rival, and is already the second most hated college hockey team in the country, thanks to Paukovich (Take a wild guess who's first. I'll give you a hint, they have a huge M on their jerseys). I urge all of you to cheer hard this weekend for our beloved Fighting Sioux. Maine was able to avenge their championship loss by sweeping the Pioneers two weeks ago. Who says we can't do the same?

For anyone on Comcast in the Twin Cities area, I just called to add the sports package that gets us the FCS channels. I asked if there were any deals and they said it's free for 6 months. There is a charge however for $1.99 to change service.

Call Comcast, 651 222-3333

You won't believe this, FSN Rocky Mountain is now tape-delaying the UND-DU game until 10PM Mountain Time even though it is still scheduled as being on live now. Showing the f'ing Gonzaga basketball game.

Any other feeds anywhere I can check?

For anyone on Comcast in the Twin Cities area, I just called to add the sports package that gets us the FCS channels. I asked if there were any deals and they said it's free for 6 months. There is a charge however for $1.99 to change service.

Call Comcast, 651 222-3333

now they make it free for 6 months! a month after I add it! :silly::D