SiouxSports.com Forum

GDT: Stony Brook vs Sioux

star2city

• Replies 159
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

When you look at the statistics, it's kind of amazing that UND is 3-2. The defense is giving up more than 300 yards per game passing, and over 160 yards per game rushing. I can understand struggling in one area or the other, but not both. It seems that the saving grace right now is turnover margin (UND is +6), and defensive/special teams scoring (3 td's and 2 safeties).

The only saving grace for this team thus far is the opportunistic play of the defense. They give up big yards. They were horrid on 3rd down today. Then they come up with an interception, a fumble, or a goal-line stand. That's all good and fun to watch, but you can't consistently win that way.

North Dakota was totally overmatched on both sides of the line of scrimmage today. Landry has thus far gotten adequate pass protection this season, but not today. He was constantly on the run, and knocked around all day. Game ball goes to him today in my opinion. When he didn't have time to do it with his arm, he did it with his legs, which I think he would prefer not to do.

Run-blocking was non-existent again today.

Haven't checked the box score, but I don't remember a sack being registered by UND. That would make 1 sack in 5 games. That is not good. Why doesn't UND blitz more, when they've proven they can't get any pressure on the QB with a 3 or 4 man rush? The recievers seem to be always open downfield anyways. Stony Brook's QB had all day to survey the field on virtually every drop back.

How good are Schewnzfier and Hawkins? Answer: real good.

Bamba has put together 4 consecutive 100 yard games. This kid is going to be an excellent player.

Student section gets an F today for being absent.

This was a very frustrating game to watch today, but is a good win over a quality opponent.

The only saving grace for this team thus far is the opportunistic play of the defense. They give up big yards. They were horrid on 3rd down today. Then they come up with an interception, a fumble, or a goal-line stand. That's all good and fun to watch, but you can't consistently win that way.

North Dakota was totally overmatched on both sides of the line of scrimmage today. Landry has thus far gotten adequate pass protection this season, but not today. He was constantly on the run, and knocked around all day. Game ball goes to him today in my opinion. When he didn't have time to do it with his arm, he did it with his legs, which I think he would prefer not to do.

Haven't checked the box score, but I don't remember a sack being registered by UND. That would make 1 sack in 5 games. That is not good. Why doesn't UND blitz more, when they've proven they can't get any pressure on the QB with a 3 or 4 man rush? The recievers seem to be always open downfield anyways. Stony Brook's QB had all day to survey the field on virtually every drop back.

Bamba has put together 4 consecutive 100 yard games. This kid is going to be an excellent player.

This was a very frustrating game to watch today, but is a good win over a quality opponent.

I only caught the last quarter to watch (listened to the rest), and I couldn't say my thoughts any better than this.

Good news-

We won against a fully funded program that will have some success in there conference the rest of the year. I'll take that however it is done right now.

Other thoughts-

I think the running game missed Sutton a lot, he can create more than the other backs. hopefully he can get healthy in a week. I do think we need to hit some passes earlier in the game to open the running game a la South Dakota game versus banging our head against the wall into no holes like all the others.

With a healthy Sutton I think J.? Davis can help us a lot more as an underneath reciever /outside screen guy. He looks like he could be a playmaker but runs a little upright, is smaller, and has gotten drilled in the hole all the times I've seen him to carry between the tackles.

Could we get the ball to Bamba on a reverse? When the running game is struggling, we could be a litte more creative in how we achieve rushing yards.

Right now, we are not good enough to show up and beat anybody. USF will be ready to go next week, we better be as well from start to finish.

The linebacking core is technically proficient, but just overmatched athletically. With a 3-4 defense, the LB's are responsible for the extra pass rush pressure and the run defense. Neither has been happening. But on short distance / goal line defense, the LB's strength and positioning is the determining factor, not their quickness and athleticism, so UND has been successful on in that area. The DL has a short bench, so they're not able to substitute as much, making fatigue a factor.

The OL is the least experienced and has the least depth in some time: not surprised that they struggle.

Next week, with the 1 PM start, hockey games vs Minnesota, and no-name opponent in Sioux Falls, attendance may be worse. So if the students showed, the attendance would have been well over 10,000? At least when students don't show up, the ticket sales gross isn't changed.

Bin knows his stuff. Kind of makes you look at the schedule and wonder where that sixth win is going to come from. :)

This team may have less individual talent than many previous Sioux squads, but they are disciplined. A more talented Stony Brook self-destructed on penalties / turnovers. As far as a sixth win, UC-Davis, Cal Poly, and Central Arkansas all are struggling in the offensive arena more than last year. For UND to win vs any of those three, UND has to have opportunistic turnovers.

To be highly successful at the FCS level, UND needs to have the defense of Digger Anderson era with the offense of the Weston Dressler era. Those are the benchmarks that need to be met again. Other than Bamba, Hawkins, and Schwenzfeier, would any other current player be a starter on those offensive and defensive teams?

On a straight talent basis, UND would likely be 0-5, as SB, USD, and NW St were more gifted. IMHO, this team is overacheiving with good heart and character.

I'll take a team with heart and character any day. Give Coach Mussman a couple of more good recruiting classes to go with the heart and character and you have the recipe for success, be it football or any other sport. Hope the fan base gives the Sioux the support they deserve the rest of the way.

This is being very generous to the student section...seems like the only time I heard them was 3rd downs or after our touchdowns. The Alerus Center has been a hard place to play for opposing teams because the student section has consistently been in their faces. This was mentioned on the video feed, that the student section was not into the game and needed to be. I would give the student section an F minus minus.

Defense was really bad at times and we need to improve on this badly especially if we want to succeed without getting lucky.

Offense was good, but took a long time to get going which is not a good thing.

Like you all have said, good game against a quality opponent, but definitely we need to improve on some things.

Landry manages a good game. Without him yesterday, I believe the Sioux would have lost. Hopefully Sutton is ready for next week to help carry the load.

On the matter of being overmatched, I'd rather be winning games in which I may be over matched then losing games I should be winning. That said, I hope the Sioux don't take USF lightly next weekend.

Not that I'm trying to look past this season, but I do look forward to one more year of experience with the personnel the Sioux have. The Sioux are still pretty young and the future looks bright.

Go SIOUX!!!

This team may have less individual talent than many previous Sioux squads, but they are disciplined. A more talented Stony Brook self-destructed on penalties / turnovers. As far as a sixth win, UC-Davis, Cal Poly, and Central Arkansas all are struggling in the offensive arena more than last year. For UND to win vs any of those three, UND has to have opportunistic turnovers.

To be highly successful at the FCS level, UND needs to have the defense of Digger Anderson era with the offense of the Weston Dressler era. Those are the benchmarks that need to be met again. Other than Bamba, Hawkins, and Schwenzfeier, would any other current player be a starter on those offensive and defensive teams?

On a straight talent basis, UND would likely be 0-5, as SB, USD, and NW St were more gifted. IMHO, this team is overacheiving with good heart and character.

In addition to Bamba, Hawkins and Schwenzfeier, I'd say a healthy Boyle and perhaps Bondy would have started on most of the good UND teams of the past 8-10 years.

While I agree that the overall talent level right now is nowhere near where it needs to be, I'm frustrated at the seeming lack of progress being made by the defense over the past four or five years. I had really thought we'd see some improvement this year given all the experience coming back, but besides getting more turnovers, there hasn't been any real improvement as far as I can see. We're actually giving up more rushing yards this year against FCS opponents than we were last year though four FCS games, and as mentioned by several people the pass rush is absolutely non-existent this year.

Stony Brook, like Northwestern State, self-destructed. Their three turnovers turned into 21 UND points.

And if you are ever offered a free seminar on clock management hosted by the SB coaching staff ... stay home.

Sioux Falls is a good team. UND is their "Texas Tech". The team had better be ready for a good opponent's best game.

In addition to Bamba, Hawkins and Schwenzfeier, I'd say a healthy Boyle and perhaps Bondy would have started on most of the good UND teams of the past 8-10 years.

While I agree that the overall talent level right now is nowhere near where it needs to be, I'm frustrated at the seeming lack of progress being made by the defense over the past four or five years. I had really thought we'd see some improvement this year given all the experience coming back, but besides getting more turnovers, there hasn't been any real improvement as far as I can see. We're actually giving up more rushing yards this year against FCS opponents than we were last year though four FCS games, and as mentioned by several people the pass rush is absolutely non-existent this year.

As far as lack of progress on the defense, IMHO it's mainly athleticism and intuititive feel for the game at the LB position. While the LBs know the position and 3-4 defense, none of them disrupt the offensive game. The latest recruiting classes may very well have the type of LB's that are needed to take it to the next level: like Cordero Finley, Garrison Goodman, Dominique Bennett.

The lower classmen on the DL seem to really be stepping it up: imagine Benjamin, Brenneman, and Bellmore in two years. The DB's are young and will get even better.

If the development of the LB's come through, the Sioux defense could really start shaking some teams again, in two years.

I have to keep reminding myself that we are up a level and that we are playing ok for the transition. It's been a long time since I saw both the offensive and defensive lines get absolutely NO push at all. Our running game is non-exhistant. Every series that we open with a run is a series that we have 3rd and long. It's hard for me to get used to getting physically beat. This should show us that we need to recruit our buts off to get to a more competative position. I don't think that this team has the talent of several of our good DII teams. We need to reload. As to the attendence - it's what I thought it would be. What you saw at the game was the Sioux faithful. The less fired up fans and students saw nothing exciting about playing a school no one has heard of. Let's face it - we have an uninspiring schedule and will have for years until we get into a real confernece and develop some rivalrys again. The only other way to pump up attendence is to have an outstanding year or two. I expect even less entheusiam from the students for Sioux Falls. However, I'd sure like to see this officiating crew again.

This is being very generous to the student section...seems like the only time I heard them was 3rd downs or after our touchdowns. The Alerus Center has been a hard place to play for opposing teams because the student section has consistently been in their faces. This was mentioned on the video feed, that the student section was not into the game and needed to be. I would give the student section an F minus minus.

Defense was really bad at times and we need to improve on this badly especially if we want to succeed without getting lucky.

Offense was good, but took a long time to get going which is not a good thing.

Like you all have said, good game against a quality opponent, but definitely we need to improve on some things.

They simply were not THERE! I couldn't believe it....only 1/3 of the student seats were filled - THAT'S EMBARASSING!!!

RE: STUDENTS

Not an excuse, however, students didn't show up at NDSU's game either.

My guesses?

1. The weather. Having turned cold early some may be taking that trip home now before it really sets in.

2. ND pheasant opener.

3. For UND, Gophers in town next weekend so this would be the weekend to go home (even before the first two above).

4. Opponent: NDSU fans expected to get beat so they stayed home; UND fans asked "Stony Brook?" and assumed a lesser team.

As far as lack of progress on the defense, IMHO it's mainly athleticism and intuititive feel for the game at the LB position. While the LBs know the position and 3-4 defense, none of them disrupt the offensive game. The latest recruiting classes may very well have the type of LB's that are needed to take it to the next level: like Cordero Finley, Garrison Goodman, Dominique Bennett.

The lower classmen on the DL seem to really be stepping it up: imagine Benjamin, Brenneman, and Bellmore in two years. The DB's are young and will get even better.

If the development of the LB's come through, the Sioux defense could really start shaking some teams again, in two years.

I like what we have going in terms of young d-linemen, and this year's red-shirting LB's look very good on paper. There will be a lot of pressure on them to play early considering we have no scholarship LB's remaining from the recruiting class of 2008, and few from 2007.

People can rip on the secondary, which isn't very good, but the D-line is more of a contributing problem to our pass defense than anything. We get ZERO pressure on the opposing QB. You have to disrupt the timing of a QB once in awhile! :)

RE: STUDENTS

Not an excuse, however, students didn't show up at NDSU's game either.

My guesses?

1. The weather. Having turned cold early some may be taking that trip home now before it really sets in.

2. ND pheasant opener.

3. For UND, Gophers in town next weekend so this would be the weekend to go home (even before the first two above).

4. Opponent: NDSU fans expected to get beat so they stayed home; UND fans asked "Stony Brook?" and assumed a lesser team.

Good points. As a student who was at the game, the turnout was horrible. However, there was a tons of seats open in the place. If the general public doesn't see fit to go to a game on a day where they couldn't be doing anything outside, then its wrong to think that the students should be out in full force. That said I would like to see more consistent support by the students.

I agree with all your points above and am going to add some of my own.

1. The 1PM starts just doesn't draw as well as a 4PM one. I know it was at 1 so it didnt conflict with the hockey game but half of the students there were yawning most of the game. It seems dumb but the prospect of getting up, eating, and getting to the game before one just doesnt sit well with some students.

2. While I love the hockey-football-hockey triple, I think it hurts football attendance. After hockey games, students are more likely to go to the bars, parties, etc. All of which make getting up for a football game against a no name opponent the next day much harder. A lot easier to recover during the day and then go to the hockey game.

3. Also, some students skip the football game to go wait in line for hockey. Thats what worries me about next week. Last year, people were waiting in line for the gophers in below zero weather from 10 AM or earlier. I would expect no less this year. So even people that want to go to the football game may find themselves waiting in line during it. Couple this with a NAIA team, and I think we could see horrible turnout next week. Think SUU last year.

Bottom line is turnout was bad across the board. I can understand why that was, but they deserve more support then that.

I've been to about 15-20 games at the Alerus Center and yesterday was BY FAR the worst I've seen for attendance and atmosphere. The student section was 2/3 empty at the beginning of the game, and what was even stranger is that it was about 90% empty by the end of the game. It was literally about the first three rows and the band. Even though it was a close game, many of the students that bothere to come left at halftime. And the fans on our side of the field were the quietest I've ever heard. You could hear a pindrop in there for most the game. I've never been more disappointed in Sioux fans in my life and it changed my opinion on some things.

1) I'm a traditionlist and was a big supporter of outdoor football, but looking around yesterday, I couldn't help but think the attendance would have been much worse if the game were played at Memorial Stadium. Many of the fans around me were really old and I can't see them bundling up and sitting outside for three hours to watch a game. There were some families with young kids there too and I doubt they would have gone if they game had been played outside in 30-degree weather. I think for cold weather games against no-name opponents, there is a real potential that attendance could drop to the abysmal range

2) Hockey-Football combos should try to be avoided. Yes, it makes it easier for someone like me traveling from MSP to help justify a trip, but I think it hurts football attendance overall. Attending three sporting events in one weekend is a bit much for the casual fan with kids and responsibilities. And I think the 4:00 starting time is vastly superior to the 1:00 starting time. I think a 4:00 game time fits into the modern student's schedule much better than a 1:00 game. You can condemn the alcohol/partying factor if you want, but it's undeniable. I also think that the 4:00 start time works better for the adult fan too.

3) Conference affiliation is even more critical than I thought. Until UND gets into a real football conference and starts establishing familiar opponents and rivalries, attendance is going to be volatile. The hard core fans recognized that Stony Brook was a fully funded FCS opponent and would provide a really tough game. But the casual fan has no idea what Stony Brook is and has no interest in watching the Sioux play them.

Ultimately, there is no sugarcoating the fact that it was a pathetic display by Sioux fans this weekend.

I've been to about 15-20 games at the Alerus Center and yesterday was BY FAR the worst I've seen for attendance and atmosphere. The student section was 2/3 empty at the beginning of the game, and what was even stranger is that it was about 90% empty by the end of the game. It was literally about the first three rows and the band. Even though it was a close game, many of the students that bothere to come left at halftime. And the fans on our side of the field were the quietest I've ever heard. You could hear a pindrop in there for most the game. I've never been more disappointed in Sioux fans in my life and it changed my opinion on some things.

1) I'm a traditionlist and was a big supporter of outdoor football, but looking around yesterday, I couldn't help but think the attendance would have been much worse if the game were played at Memorial Stadium. Many of the fans around me were really old and I can't see them bundling up and sitting outside for three hours to watch a game. There were some families with young kids there too and I doubt they would have gone if they game had been played outside in 30-degree weather. I think for cold weather games against no-name opponents, there is a real potential that attendance could drop to the abysmal range

2) Hockey-Football combos should try to be avoided. Yes, it makes it easier for someone like me traveling from MSP to help justify a trip, but I think it hurts football attendance overall. Attending three sporting events in one weekend is a bit much for the casual fan with kids and responsibilities. And I think the 4:00 starting time is vastly superior to the 1:00 starting time. I think a 4:00 game time fits into the modern student's schedule much better than a 1:00 game. You can condemn the alcohol/partying factor if you want, but it's undeniable. I also think that the 4:00 start time works better for the adult fan too.

3) Conference affiliation is even more critical than I thought. Until UND gets into a real football conference and starts establishing familiar opponents and rivalries, attendance is going to be volatile. The hard core fans recognized that Stony Brook was a fully funded FCS opponent and would provide a really tough game. But the casual fan has no idea what Stony Brook is and has no interest in watching the Sioux play them.

Ultimately, there is no sugarcoating the fact that it was a pathetic display by Sioux fans this weekend.

Agreed. I am very worried about this weekend.

Ummmm...you must have missed the last home playoff game vs. Winona St. Barely 5000+ there for a PLAYOFF game. But to your credit, it was a morgue in the Alerus Sat. :)

Good points. As a student who was at the game, the turnout was horrible. However, there was a tons of seats open in the place. If the general public doesn't see fit to go to a game on a day where they couldn't be doing anything outside, then its wrong to think that the students should be out in full force. That said I would like to see more consistent support by the students.

I agree with all your points above and am going to add some of my own.

1. The 1PM starts just doesn't draw as well as a 4PM one. I know it was at 1 so it didnt conflict with the hockey game but half of the students there were yawning most of the game. It seems dumb but the prospect of getting up, eating, and getting to the game before one just doesnt sit well with some students.

2. While I love the hockey-football-hockey triple, I think it hurts football attendance. After hockey games, students are more likely to go to the bars, parties, etc. All of which make getting up for a football game against a no name opponent the next day much harder. A lot easier to recover during the day and then go to the hockey game.

3. Also, some students skip the football game to go wait in line for hockey. Thats what worries me about next week. Last year, people were waiting in line for the gophers in below zero weather from 10 AM or earlier. I would expect no less this year. So even people that want to go to the football game may find themselves waiting in line during it. Couple this with a NAIA team, and I think we could see horrible turnout next week. Think SUU last year.

Bottom line is turnout was bad across the board. I can understand why that was, but they deserve more support then that.

while I see your points, I spent 5 years at UND with the last year being the first where games didn't always start at 1pm. The student section was almost always close to full or full by 20 minutes to gametime. To use the "i wanted to sleep in excuse" is old and hello, the football team wanted to sleep in to, but they were there. The band is there, the cheerleaders and dance team are there. Which I know everyone knocks on the cheerleaders and dance team, but they are there before the football team some games.

I agree that the triple-headers can hurt football attendance, but the die-hards will always be there.

The fact that people are going to wait in line for the hockey games worries me and makes me wonder why on earth they scheduled the Gopher Series for during football season! That just seems like bad planning on the athletic departments half. But what do I know? There had to be a reason, right?

I was a bad student and didnt go to the Football game. I had to work till 12 and had alot of homework to do. the game goes till four the hockey game starts at 7 (5 to get a good seat). Plus the thought does come to the mind that there are no playoffs, $5 to park, and i knew the crowd would be asleep because they were when we played South Dakota and it was sold out! Most students get bored at football games. I love watching but the students around me know nothing about our team let alone the other team. Until we get a conference and have to win to make the playoffs, students will use there time to study, drink or get some sleep. I will be in line for the hockey game at about three so i will try to be at the football game till halftime this week.