SiouxSports.com Forum

2009 NHL Draft

USA Hockey

i agree with you here. kangas wasn't the same after the sioux blasted him, although i though patterson was supposed to be a solid backup? i know nothing of cc's backup, i would think bachman is back to form this year, he's too good to just slip into mediocrity.

bahcman turned pro.

• Replies 124
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Patterson is an able backup, imo. He didn't exactly do too badly vs. UND.

The "problem" is that Lucia is only slightly less rigid in his #1 goaltender system than Red Berenson.

If you recall, you REALLY have to suck to lose your #1 position in Red's system. Red would choose a #1 and roll with him pretty much 98% of the time.

Lucia is only slightly more flexible.

Hakstol gets flamed because he rolls two goaltenders whenever he can.

Expect Dell to get game time. I'd also expect Dell to get some lumps as all freshmen do. Eidsness got it (and was partially forgiven), Grieco got it (and was basically campaigned against), even JPL and JPar got it (though very briefly so).

I'm thinking Kangas wouldn't have slumped so badly had Lucia been more willing to let Patterson take a few more games in net. I don't think Eidsness will slump as badly as Bachman did last year because of Hakstol's willingness to let Dell take a few games.

Always fun to read:

Joyce suggested that Schroeder is no Rob Schremp, that Schroeder has good wheels, but Joyce did say that Schroeder's attitude turned off a lot of teams, thus consoling the numerous Oilers fans who believed that the talented, high-scoring Schroeder should have been the Oil's top pick at 10th overall.

Joyce first mentioned this in his Sportsnet blog, writing: "Those who might have talked themselves into disrepute: Guelph's Holland and UMinn's Schroeder. Scouts I talked to weren't much impressed."

On the HFboards, Joyce was even more tough on the 5-foot, 9-inch, 180-pound Schroeder and his conduct at pre-draft interviews: "Asked what his weaknesses were, he said he didn't have any. Said he couldn't really think of anything he needed to work on. Straight-faced.

"Asked who was going to be on his line at UMinn next season, he said that he had already told the coach who he'd play with.

"He was critical of team-mates and coaches and blamed the U.S.'s failure to win at the under-20s on everyone else except himself.

"Those are just a few examples. I could go on but won't. If you don't get the idea, then you never will."

Some hockey draft analysts loved Schroeder because he put up great scoring numbers in his first college season. Even though he was small, he looked to them like a player who might just light it up big time at the NHL level. And perhaps he still will do so. Perhaps he's a stone-cold scoring machine

But he could certainly improve his bedside manner, it would seem.

Always fun to read:

Asked what his weaknesses were, he said he didn't have any. Said he couldn't really think of anything he needed to work on. Straight-faced.

"Asked who was going to be on his line at UMinn next season, he said that he had already told the coach who he'd play with.

My anonymous sources have retrieved two secret tapes of Schroeder. I've spliced them together for your convenience. The first part is Jordan impressing Minnesota media with his vast skill array (0:00 to 0:45). Next is his interview with the NHL at the combine (0:45 to conclusion).

WOW!

Sounds like a typical cake-eating UMN-TC player to me. (Generalizing statement alert)

Gare Joyce just for the record doesn't seem to like College hockey players or this seems to be the second Gopher that he

has wrote non-flattering stuff about.

Asked what his weaknesses were, he said he didn't have any. Said he couldn't really think of anything he needed to work on. Straight-faced.

Asked who was going to be on his line at UMinn next season, he said that he had already told the coach who he'd play with.

He was critical of team-mates and coaches and blamed the U.S.'s failure to win at the under-20s on everyone else except himself.

Wow.

Just wow.

You have to wonder if that is true because it really becomes a he said she said thing.

It wouldn't be the first time we've seen this sort of attitude coming out of MN players and their fans, even if it's only partially true.

i am acutally with goon here. i question joyce's motives, and the accuracy of all of his statements. there are a few (and when i say a few, i mean many) in the hockey world who are anti-college hockey or anti-american hockey. schroeder gets the double whammy. i hope it isn't true, because even if he is a goofer, he is one hell of a player. and these days i root for the stars to be good guys, even if they play for the enemy. even with his slight stature, i have a feeling he will someday soon be making an impact in the NHL.

Maybe Schroeder thought that if he was all about himself he would drop to the Wild in the draft. Trouble is that they didn't want him either. Seriously, I would like to have a few more sources about this, as either he has no advisors, his advisors are incredibly stupid, or he doesn't follow advice. I can't imagine anyone going to an interview without showing a little humility. He doesn't come off like a cocky person, although against the Sioux he had no reason to be. The other games I saw didn't lend me to believe he was that high on himself, but who knows. I only know that if this guy was talking about a Sioux recruit or player like that, we wouldn't be so quick to take it as gospel.

i am acutally with goon here. i question joyce's motives, and the accuracy of all of his statements. there are a few (and when i say a few, i mean many) in the hockey world who are anti-college hockey or anti-american hockey. schroeder gets the double whammy. i hope it isn't true, because even if he is a goofer, he is one hell of a player. and these days i root for the stars to be good guys, even if they play for the enemy. even with his slight stature, i have a feeling he will someday soon be making an impact in the NHL.

I'd agree with you, but those are some awfully strong accusations, no matter who from, for being totally fabricated.

I don't know about that. I'm more willing to give him the benefit of the doubt.

At worst, I think Schroeder was unprepared for the type of questions he was facing (which means he was prepared poorly). He also may have an incorrect idea of what self-confidence is and, therefore, gave off what he thought was a self-confident aire but turned out arrogant instead.

In any case, there was something else going on because Kessel apparently interviewed poorly and he still went high in the draft.

I don't know about Joyce either. He was both right and hypocritical when he called out Chris Dilks on WCHBlog. I think he's a fence hanger. He sways with the breeze with his opinion (on WCHBlog he said that Leblanc made a mistake not going to the Q but then he didn't make the mistake he was just pointing out that it could be a mistake but Chris was wrong to point it out and Chris would have known that if he had read ALL of Joyce's articles leading up to that one. Maybe so but still.... :) )

I think Schroeder will be fine.

As for a UMN "cake-eater" I'm also willing to let that one go too. After all, the only real competition the Men's Gopher hockey team has as far as winning tradition in the last 10 years is the women's Gopher hockey team. Hard to be humble when you're pretty much more successful than any other high caliber team in the Twin Cities area, including (and perhaps especially) the pro teams. Yeah, I'll root for the Gophers before I root for the Wild. They've done something in the past 10 years.

So basically, when you're the only half decent act in town, it's hard to be humble.

Yeah, I'm giving excuses to a player I don't particularly care for and for a program I dislike, but face it... success breeds a certain attitude. The Gophers are less mock-worthy than any Minnesota pro team because of that.

Maybe Schroeder thought that if he was all about himself he would drop to the Wild in the draft. Trouble is that they didn't want him either. Seriously, I would like to have a few more sources about this, as either he has no advisors, his advisors are incredibly stupid, or he doesn't follow advice. I can't imagine anyone going to an interview without showing a little humility. He doesn't come off like a cocky person, although against the Sioux he had no reason to be. The other games I saw didn't lend me to believe he was that high on himself, but who knows. I only know that if this guy was talking about a Sioux recruit or player like that, we wouldn't be so quick to take it as gospel.

Isn't his family advisor Neil Sheehy? If so Neil wouldn't let that happen because he is a well respected agent/family advisor.

I don't have anything against Gare Joyce, he is a Canadian that seems to prefer the MJ player to college, that being said.

Joyce isn't the only one that has hinted these type of things with Minnesota. Maybe just maybe it's the Minesota attitude?

You don't and havent' heard writer(s) and or coach and GM's dissing Hakstol or Blais. Lastly Jordan is a young kid that maybe

needs to grow up.

Isn't his family advisor Neil Sheehy? If so Neil wouldn't let that happen because he is a well respected agent/family advisor.

I don't have anything against Gare Joyce, he is a Canadian that seems to prefer the MJ player to college, that being said.

Joyce isn't the only one that has hinted these type of things with Minnesota. Maybe just maybe it's the Minesota attitude?

You don't and havent' heard writer(s) and or coach and GM's dissing Hakstol or Blais. Lastly Jordan is a young kid that maybe

needs to grow up.

Precisely. He has a skill set that is definitely top 10, but he is in definite need of maturation. THat's hardly a bad thing really as everyone needs to mature.

If you want to see what happens to players when they become stars without being allowed to mature, look at many many NBA stars that come out of high school. Not all are immature, but a great deal of them are. Some even go to college and go pro and still aren't mature.

Something is weird about the Schroeder comments. The kid has been interviewed a zillion times by the media since he won state with St. Thomas Academy as an eighth grader. With the FSN media he is ALWAYS prepared and robotically thanks his teammates and his coaches.

I think his drop in the draft is more due to his play the last half of '08-'09 and teams questioning whether his is just another Pierre-Marc Bouchard. To me Schroeder needs to drive to the net more this season and increase his goal scoring to the 20-25 range, not to mention show up vs. Canada at the WJC.

Either way I hope Vancouver sends him back to the "U" for another season or two. :)

Something is weird about the Schroeder comments. The kid has been interviewed a zillion times by the media since he won state with St. Thomas Academy as an eighth grader. With the FSN media he is ALWAYS prepared and robotically thanks his teammates and his coaches.

I think his drop in the draft is more due to his play the last half of '08-'09 and teams questioning whether his is just another Pierre-Marc Bouchard. To me Schroeder needs to drive to the net more this season and increase his goal scoring to the 20-25 range, not to mention show up vs. Canada at the WJC.

Either way I hope Vancouver sends him back to the "U" for another season or two. :)

There's a viable reason as to why the Wild passed on him. They don't need another overhyped fringe shooter. Bouchard is good, but not great. He's not a first liner on any team in the NHL. He's so not physical that he can't be a third liner. He's too good to sit or send to the AHL. So that leaves 2nd and 4th lines. I'd love to see the Wild have enough offensive talent to have Bouchard on the 4th line.

As for Schroeder, Sagard is right. Is he gritty enough? Can he crash the net?

Time will tell.

Fiona Quicks Twitter said a few times that Schroeder had told people that he was going to sign if he went top 10. I suppose that means

he is coming back. I doubt that Vancouver would sign him, they have more than enough talent to compete this season without yanking him

out of college.

• 2 weeks later...
Fiona Quicks Twitter said a few times that Schroeder had told people that he was going to sign if he went top 10. I suppose that means

he is coming back. I doubt that Vancouver would sign him, they have more than enough talent to compete this season without yanking him

out of college.

I guess thank god he didn't then. But I still fail to see how Leddy > Schroeder for the Wild when it comes to U players. Who knows....

I guess thank god he didn't then. But I still fail to see how Leddy > Schroeder for the Wild when it comes to U players. Who knows....

Perhaps it falls to transition game being the key for the Wild?

That's one of the areas that the Penguins excelled at...and Fletcher is from the Pens organization.

Leddy is a puck mover and a good one.

He may also be more mature than Schroeder. And with an unavoidable youth movement coming the way of the Wild (at least that's what I feel), maturity is an important thing for the Wild.

The bad news is that I doubt Leddy will play for the Gophers for more than 2 seasons, especially if what I predict does come true (youth movement). If Leddy shows Ballard or Martin-like ability, it may not even be two seasons.

Perhaps it falls to transition game being the key for the Wild?

That's one of the areas that the Penguins excelled at...and Fletcher is from the Pens organization.

Leddy is a puck mover and a good one.

He may also be more mature than Schroeder. And with an unavoidable youth movement coming the way of the Wild (at least that's what I feel), maturity is an important thing for the Wild.

The bad news is that I doubt Leddy will play for the Gophers for more than 2 seasons, especially if what I predict does come true (youth movement). If Leddy shows Ballard or Martin-like ability, it may not even be two seasons.

Why is it bad news if Leddy will does not play more than two years for the Goofs? The sooner he leaves the better in my opinion.

Why is it bad news if Leddy will does not play more than two years for the Goofs? The sooner he leaves the better in my opinion.

I have to agree and they had a clip of his skating over on the Wild web page and he is pretty smooth and I can't see him staying more than two season for the Goofs.