SiouxSports.com Forum

D1&D1AA in all sports@UND

Riverman

Ok, We have heard/herd NDSU say they are going blah, blah

blah.However should part of the NCC start thinking about this.

I did read Chuck's letter. On the other hand Roger is worried

about the watering down of D2 sport with teams like.Crookston,Winona ect.

IMHO Big Sky is out, they are cutting programs to survive

at Portland State. Which is not a good sign.

I did like the AD from SDSU and their way of thinking we redesign the NCC to fit OUR needs only at a D1 level.

The NCC is shrinking I agree I really do not want another

SCSU in the league.10 scholarships for football.No thanks

my team deserves a better team to play against.

I would be sorry to say good bye to SCSU,Mankato but

maybe it's not a bad thing. UND should have a  say

that NOONE can tell UND that they have to change their name

or try to change UND's mind.You want UND to join here is the deal anything changes, UND would be able to sue for breech of contract.(we would have to ask Scott Murphy if this can be done) ;)

It's your U too what do you want to do? :)

My biggest fear of moving to D-I would be the budget.  UND would clearly have to cut a lot of the negative revenue sports because the costs would go up dramatically and football/hockey/basketball would not be able to subsidize them.

I think UND is doing the right thing by sitting and waiting.  Let NDSU/SDSU/UNO/etc... dip their toes in the water and see what happens.  If NDSU comes running back to D-II, it will have been an expensive and embarrassing mistake they made.  If all of UND's premier competitors go D-I successfully, then we can more easily and confidently follow.

Riverman:

I didn't read the whole Kupchella letter on D-I but I scanned it, looking for one thing: any reference to the UND athletic

teams by their name, Fighting Sioux.  I don't believe there was a single reference.  This sends the wrong message--  If

the University President can't bring himself to write the nickname, there must be something inherently wrong

with it.  A decision has been made by the Board of Higher Ed, Kupchella's superior, that the nickname will be used

and Kupchella should be expected to carry out that mandate, certainly in all his public communications concerning

UND athletics.

Random ramblings and bits of info passed my way.

Four NCC teams talk going D-I (IAA football): NDSU, SDSU, USD, UNC.

Four NCC teams are not interested in full D-I: UND, SCSU, MnSU-Mankato, UNO.

Notice that the teams with some D-I experience (hockey) have no interest in going D-I.

Currently $1.8M of UND's $5.8M athletic budget supports just D-I hockey. That's about one third of the budget for just one program. If you are D-I you have to play other D-I teams. To get an idea of D-I travel costs look at UND hockey.

Minnesota lost $7,000,000.00 in athletics this year. They project to lose $55,000,000.00 over the next five years. That's an average of $11,000,000.00 lost per year. It so bad that Lucia's team, by Athletic Department decree, can not schedule road non-conference games because they can't affort the travel.

I am yet to have someone explain to me how D-I status in the National Collegiate ATHLETIC Association will improve ACADEMICS at The UNIVERSITY of North Dakota or North Dakota State UNIVERSITY. Their primary missions are still academic, yes? Losing money in athletics hurts the total budget. What gets nailed to cover the losses?

And D-I (IAA football) newbie Portland State is cutting programs to make the books balance. Uh, how would doing that (because it would happen) at UND or NDSU provide 'opportunities' to North Dakota kids?

This is about NDSU's ego. They are POed that UND shows up in the Boston Globe sports page all winter under 'college hockey.'

This is about Dr. Chapman wanting to leave his legacy at NDSU. I'm guessing it will be a legacy of red ink.

Quite frankly, if 'SU is hoping to improve its academics I fail to see how that would happen by shifting money and resources to the AD's office.  If they want to really improve their academics, they should stop taking UND's rejects.  :)

I don't understand the fascination with going D-1.

To me, it's as much of a leap of logic as thinking that dropping the 'North' from North Dakota is going to get people to forget that it really is cold up here. It'll be a tourism boom! :rolleyes:

I think it is a pipe dream by NDSU. I have been listening to Ed "The Blow Hard" Schultz all week 1440 a.m. and he posed the question to Athletic Director. "Why are you trying to make the move to Division one if most of the public doesn't want it?"

It sounds like NDSUck is trying to ram rod this down the publics throat. At least that is the perception I am getting from listening to callers as they express their opinions on this matter. I mean really, the money to run a division one program is expensive. Add womens hockey to the mix and your talking about UND probably being in the red. It doesn't seem logical. NDSU can't even win a title in Division II and they want to move to Divison I.

The next issue is, it appears that no-one wants to take them in a conference.

Notice that the teams with some D-I experience (hockey) have no interest in going D-I.

Currently $1.8M of UND's $5.8M athletic budget supports just D-I hockey. That's about one third of the budget for just one program. If you are D-I you have to play other D-I teams. To get an idea of D-I travel costs look at UND hockey.

Minnesota lost $7,000,000.00 in athletics this year. They project to lose $55,000,000.00 over the next five years. That's an average of $11,000,000.00 lost per year. It so bad that Lucia's team, by Athletic Department decree, can not schedule road non-conference games because they can't affort the travel.

I am yet to have someone explain to me how D-I status in the National Collegiate ATHLETIC Association will improve ACADEMICS at The UNIVERSITY of North Dakota or North Dakota State UNIVERSITY. Their primary missions are still academic, yes? Losing money in athletics hurts the total budget. What gets nailed to cover the losses?

And D-I (IAA football) newbie Portland State is cutting programs to make the books balance. Uh, how would doing that (because it would happen) at UND or NDSU provide 'opportunities' to North Dakota kids?

This is about NDSU's ego. They are POed that UND shows up in the Boston Globe sports page all winter under 'college hockey.'

This is about Dr. Chapman wanting to leave his legacy at NDSU. I'm guessing it will be a legacy of red ink.

UMinn-UND budgets ,apples- to oranges.ND would not be in the BIG TEN.I would hope the NCC as a whole would

move up with UND a leader not a follower!

Don't tell me how poor UND is I have three new jerseys

and alot of new clothing with the new logo on it!And I am

only one of thousands of Sioux fans.

IMHO the reason SCSU & Mankato feel the way they do.

Minnesota would never allow them to be D1 other wise don't you think Duluth would have pushed along time ago to be THE Minnesota State school?Like UMich-UMich St. for example?

UNO. Two words:Corn Huskers!

Random thoughts how many times,do you want to watch teams like Crookston be beaten by the Sioux!While you drink

your $2.50 coke and $4.00 hot food of your choice.And pay the ticket price you do?While NDSU trys to play Montana and

better themselves.

M-Bball No  NCAA titles,97th season of play.But they are the

3rd winningest program in D2 history.This year 6 N Dakotan's

10 out of state.

W-Bball Three NCAA's This year 5 N Dakotan's 9 out of state.

F-Ball 1st National Championship in how many years?Roster

Media Guide:N Dakotans 41 out of state and country 65.

You make an interesting point education over athletics I bet we could even save money at the D2 level here at UND.

Golf,Volley Ball,Soft Ball,Track and Field do they make UND

any money or are we waisting money on them? UND could be

spending this on teachers correct?

I am not trying to sound 100% D1. I am closerto 52% maybe

53%. :)

I agree Yane,I have yet to see Chuck at a sporting events

except in the second half of the basket ball game vs NDSU!

;)

I would like to see more of Roger at the hockey games! It was

great when they panned him with the green hair! :(

Riverman, I think I only understood a couple of your points.  Also, removing sports programs, especially women's programs, is simply not going to happen.

...anyway, I found this very interesting.  Quoted from SIOUX SPORTS, "Offical Newspaper of the Fighting Sioux Club, UND Letterwinners and UND Athletic Department"

Academic Success Continues for Athletes

According to the NCAA Graduation Rates Report for NCAA Division II and III Schools issued in 2001, North Dakota lead all NCC schools in graduation rates for student-athletes at 77%.

The report tracks graduation rates of student-athletes from 1994 to the present.

Assistant athletic director for commpliance Jared Bruggeman said, "This report affirms that the University of North Dakota's sudent-athletes perform well in the classroom as well as on the field."

1. 77% UND

2. 66% Augustana

3. 62% SDSU

4. 59% Northern Colorado

4. 59% Nebraska-Omaha

6. 51% St. Cloud State

7. 48% South Dakota

8. 45% MSU-Mankato

9. 44% NDSU

Like The Sikatoka, I don't see that improving by moving to D-I.  At a Sioux boosters meeting, I think Roger Thomas said the national D-II average is... 59%?

Ok. How about the road to the Final Four have you ever heard

of some of those backwater places that think they have a chance to advance.That would be my guess.

I still believe that in its self is a pipe dream, or some moronic dream that some NDSUck administration person came up with when they had to many beers. 64 teams out of what 500 division one college basketball teams. Actually there is 65 with the play in game. Frankly I hate basketball. Let NDSUck fall on their face for all I care.

I never wanted to imply cutting womens programs.

My points are these:

UND already is giving more scholarships to out of state

athletes. So the point of just because we "might" go

D1 there will be less N Dakotans on the team IMHO

does not hold water.I pointed out the BBall,FBall I didn't

even say anything about hockey.

I wish people would stop using the Minnesota Vs UND

budget angle. Are budget would be unique we will have a Mens and Womens ice hockey program where as the rest

of the NCC if it were to move up, would be trailing UND.More

to lose or more to gain  I guess it's up to one's interpretation.

I am worried about the cost of adding more staff. However

if you are a coach who makes it to the show like Dean has

well you have to pay the pipers.  

You make a good point about the 77% rate. But maybe this

brings in the students like  the Karl Goehrings,Becky Leppards

or Missy Bergs even more if UND was D1.

As Sic, pointed out UND's budget about D1 travel, all the

more reason that the NCC as a whole or 6 teams move up.

If 6 is the least you can have in a division maybe we can get

one of our back water teams from the NCC in the show for BBall. ;)Would it be ok then Goon? ;)

I am at 54% today of going D1 :)

• 15 years later...
On March 8, 2002 at 12:26 PM, The Sicatoka said:

Dr. Chapman and his legacy. He was hired 6th month 1999 from Wikipeia.

Nostradamus prophecy 7th month 1999. A great and terrifying leader would come out of the sky.

Close but no cigar or just maybe.

On March 8, 2002 at 12:26 PM, The Sicatoka said:

I'm guessing it will be a legacy or red ink. 

Sicatoka what grade do you give yourself on that guess?

On March 8, 2002 at 9:39 AM, YaneA said:

Riverman:

I didn't read the whole Kupchella letter on D-I but I scanned it, looking for one thing: any reference to the UND athletic

teams by their name, Fighting Sioux.  I don't believe there was a single reference.  This sends the wrong message--  If

the University President can't bring himself to write the nickname, there must be something inherently wrong

with it.  A decision has been made by the Board of Higher Ed, Kupchella's superior, that the nickname will be used

and Kupchella should be expected to carry out that mandate, certainly in all his public communications concerning

UND athletics.

This sends the wrong message YaneA writes

This was a sign of things to come.

What was Kupchella thinking 

What did he know and when did he know it.

• UNDBIZ locked this topic