SiouxSports.com Forum

2009-2010 Sioux Hockey predictions

Stack

After that, Kristo, Cichy and Trupp might be one of the fastest lines in college hockey.

I like that line. Speed kills.

Normally I wouldn't want to put two frosh on one line, but Kristo and Cichy will be two of the best forwards in the nation for freshmen IMO. Both should be able to contribute right away...

• Replies 120
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I definitely want to see if the magic that Frattin, VanDevelde and Malone had in the New Hampshire game was just a flash in the pan, or if it can be sustained. I'm sure they will have a chance to show that in the beginning of fall camp. Also would like to see Toews have a shot taking Duncan's place on the Gregoire and Hextall line. After that, Kristo, Cichy and Trupp might be one of the fastest lines in college hockey.

We almost share a brain... :lol:

My thoughts were exactly that, only switching Toews and Trupp around so Trupp is between Hextall and Gregoire and Toews between Cichy and Kristo. Either combination could work in my opinion though...

Normally I wouldn't want to put two frosh on one line, but Kristo and Cichy will be two of the best forwards in the nation for freshmen IMO. Both should be able to contribute right away...

I think Cichy stated that they will be rooming together and that he hoped they could play together like they did on the National Development team, so I thought I would oblige him. Of course Hakstol might have something to say about it.

I am thinking that every checking line in the WCHA will know these two kids name by the end of the season.

Here's my two cents on possible lineups:

Gregoire - VV - Hextall

Frattin - Trupp - Toews

Malone - Zajac - Kristo

Forney - Cichy - Lammy

First Line - insert VV in for Duncan last year, Gregoire and Hextall both had good freshman years, good chemistry and getting VV in front of the net...good things

Second Line - Trupp and Toews both played some center last year...Toews played well last year for the time he did play and I think Frattin will continue to get better.

Third Line - Zajac and Malone to rough it up in the corners and the speedster Kristo to replace Watkins on this line...good be good things

Fourth Line - I've seen Cichy play in Fargo, he did most, if not all the centering...very good puck handling skills, sees the ice well and has a decent shot...Forney is still up in the air if he's coming to UND..will see..and Lammy continue to work hard and make things happen. That leaves Davidson, Rowney, and Brutuneau to fight for ice time. Rowney had big time numbers up in AJHL, be interesting to see what he brings and never seen Brutuneau play.

Genoway - Blood

LaPoint - Fienhage

Marto - MacWilliam

Gleason

I know this may seem a little crazy but I looked at the entire Sioux Hockey schedule and predicted all of the games for next year. I thought I'd better post it before the season starts just in case I am clairvoyant. So take a peek and see if you agree or disagree: Of course I've been a little biased in my predictions

Here's my predictions:

Oct. 3 -- MANITOBA (ex) W (doesn't count on our record)

Oct. 9 -- MERRIMACK W

Oct. 10 -- MERRIMACK W

Oct. 16 -- MINNESOTA W

Oct. 17 -- MINNESOTA L

Oct. 23 -- at Anchorage W

Oct. 24 -- at Anchorage T

Nov. 6 -- at Mich. Tech W

Nov. 7 -- at Mich. Tech W

Nov. 13 -- ST. CLOUD L

Nov. 14 -- ST. CLOUD W

Nov. 20 -- at Denver L

Nov. 21 -- at Denver T

Nov. 27 -- MIAMI L

Nov. 28 -- OHIO STATE W

Dec. 4 -- at Duluth L

Dec. 5 -- at Duluth W

Dec. 11 -- WISCONSIN L

Dec. 12 -- WISCONSIN W

Dec. 19 -- US WORLD JR (ex) W (doesn't count on our record)

Jan. 2 -- at Notre Dame tour. W (Tourney includes Notre Dame, Colgate and Niagara in Chicago)

Jan. 3 -- at Notre Dame tour. W

Jan. 8 -- MSU-MANKATO W

Jan. 9 -- MSU-MANKATO T

Jan. 15 -- at Minnesota L

Jan. 16 -- at Minnesota W

Jan. 22 -- at Cornell W

Jan. 23 -- at Cornell T

Jan. 29 -- DENVER W

Jan. 30 -- DENVER T

Feb. 12 -- at St. Cloud L

Feb. 13 -- at St. Cloud W

Feb. 19 -- DULUTH W

Feb. 20 -- DULUTH W

Feb. 26 -- at Colo. Coll. W

Feb. 27 -- at Colo. Coll. T

Mar. 5 -- MICH. TECH W

Mar. 6 -- MICH. TECH W

Final Regular Season record: 22-8-6

WCHA Record: 16-7-5 for 37 points and a second place finish behind Denver

Let me know what you think.

With the official schedule out now there are some changes from above:

Oct 4: Manitoba (I still say a win)

Nov: 27 is now Ohio State (I say a win)

Nov 28 is Miami or Bemidji State (I say a loss to Miami)

Jan 2: is Niagara (I say a win)

Jan 3 is Notre Dame or Colgate) I say a win over Notre Dame

The CC games in February are now on Tuesday and Wednesday Feb 23-24. I still say a win and a tie.

So same record just different dates and we now know who we play.

Why would they play on Tuesday and Wednesday when they play the weekend before? Seems like a pretty short turnaround to have to travel to CC, nevermind trying to prepare for the series with videotape, etc.

Here's my two cents on possible lineups:

Gregoire - VV - Hextall

Frattin - Trupp - Toews

Malone - Zajac - Kristo

Forney - Cichy - Lammy

I can't be the only one that doesn't think Cichy is going to be a fourth line player?

I can't be the only one that doesn't think Cichy is going to be a fourth line player?

who knows really. with a deep lineup like this i dont know if you can really say a specific line is a 2 or 3 or 4. lots of talent this season top to bottom so i wouldnt look at it that way. last year yes and many years yes you could ahve done that but who knows this season. this team will be able to score!! just looking at that 12 its hard to find a player you can say for sure is a 4th liner. great problem to have :lol:

who knows really. with a deep lineup like this i dont know if you can really say a specific line is a 2 or 3 or 4. lots of talent this season top to bottom so i wouldnt look at it that way. last year yes and many years yes you could ahve done that but who knows this season. this team will be able to score!! just looking at that 12 its hard to find a player you can say for sure is a 4th liner. great problem to have :lol:

Holy cow are you running for office? :lol: In your opinion do you see him being a third line player? :lol:

Holy cow are you running for office? :lol: In you opinion do you see him being a third line player? :D

not yet :lol: i just think this team is deep at forward all around...i guess i have no clue where he will be playing or where i see him. could be on the 2nd line come opening night for all we know or 4th. i do think he and kristo are gona be game changers over their careers with the sioux . i also think rowney will turn some heads as well. cant wait.

at least we have the temp in the 90's here this week again andlast week. hell of a break from 110 everyday..i know, i know im complaining about the heat but its all on where you live :lol:

I wouldn't mind seeing Gregoire, Cichy and Kristo play together.

yeah that would be sweet! i think VV has a serious chance at a huge season. obviosuly health and linemates and other factors go into this but just one of those hunches after how he played to close out last seasons stretch. i see big things from VV

I think guys can move up and down the lineup depending on the chemistry they have with linemates. I don't think you can label them as a fourth line player, because depending on the situation they may or may not be out there. If the Sioux are not at home and decide to put a checking line against the others top line, does that mean Zajac is on the 1st line. Literally, it does, but if you are looking for offense, you wouldn't necessarily put that line out first. Kozek went from one line to another all year, including out of the lineup, so to label each as a certain line player doesn't mean much from week to week, especially early in the year when they are trying to come up with combinations that have good chemistry.

just a observation from looking at the roster coming up and nhl draft numbers

i would have to believe this will be the most nhl draft picks on 1 sioux team at once. i have the list from my website here and then also the guys who may and can get drafted this june. we have 14 players in or coming in drafted and 3 for sure draft picks in cichy, knight and mattson with rodwell a maybe. ust interesting to see as we all know it doesnt mean anything but just caught my eye

2005 NHL ENTRY DRAFT

CHRIS VANDE VELDE (F) - 4TH RD (#97) EDMONTON OILERS

2006 NHL ENTRY DRAFT

DERRICK LAPOINT (D) - 4TH RD (#116) FLORIDA PANTHERS

2007 NHL ENTRY DRAFT

JASON GREGOIRE (F) - 3RD RD (#76) NEW YORK ISLANDERS

MATT FRATTIN (F) - 4TH RD (#99) TORONTO MAPLE LEAFS

BRAD MALONE (F) - 4TH RD (#105) COLORADO AVALANCHE

BRETT BRUNETEAU (F) - 4TH RD (#108) WASHINGTON CAPITALS - 09' (released by capitols and now free agent)

BEN BLOOD (D) - 4TH RD (#120) OTTAWA SENATORS

BRAD EIDSNESS (G) - 5TH RD (#139) BUFFALO SABRES

2008 NHL ENTRY DRAFT

DANNY KRISTO (F) - 2ND RD (#56) MONTREAL CANADIENS - 09'

DAVID TOEWS (F) - 3RD RD (#66) NEY YORK ISLANDERS

COREY FIENHAGE (D) - 3RD RD (#81) BUFFALO SABRES

BRETT HEXTALL (F) - 6TH RD (#159) PHOENIX COYOTES

ANDREW MACWILLIAM (D) - 7TH RD (#188) TORONTO MAPLE LEAFS - 09'

JOE GLEASON (D) - 7TH RD (#192) CHICAGO BLACKHAWKS- 09'

2009 NHL ENTRY DRAFT POTENTIALS

CORBAN KNIGHT (F)

DANNY MATTSON (F)

MIKE CICHY (F)

DEREK RODWELL (F)

just a observation from looking at the roster coming up and nhl draft numbers

i would have to believe this will be the most nhl draft picks on 1 sioux team at once. i have the list from my website here and then also the guys who may and can get drafted this june. we have 14 players in or coming in drafted and 3 for sure draft picks in cichy, knight and mattson with rodwell a maybe. ust interesting to see as we all know it doesnt mean anything but just caught my eye

2005 NHL ENTRY DRAFT

CHRIS VANDE VELDE (F) - 4TH RD (#97) EDMONTON OILERS

2006 NHL ENTRY DRAFT

DERRICK LAPOINT (D) - 4TH RD (#116) FLORIDA PANTHERS

2007 NHL ENTRY DRAFT

JASON GREGOIRE (F) - 3RD RD (#76) NEW YORK ISLANDERS

MATT FRATTIN (F) - 4TH RD (#99) TORONTO MAPLE LEAFS

BRAD MALONE (F) - 4TH RD (#105) COLORADO AVALANCHE

BRETT BRUNETEAU (F) - 4TH RD (#108) WASHINGTON CAPITALS - 09' (released by capitols and now free agent)

BEN BLOOD (D) - 4TH RD (#120) OTTAWA SENATORS

BRAD EIDSNESS (G) - 5TH RD (#139) BUFFALO SABRES

2008 NHL ENTRY DRAFT

DANNY KRISTO (F) - 2ND RD (#56) MONTREAL CANADIENS - 09'

DAVID TOEWS (F) - 3RD RD (#66) NEY YORK ISLANDERS

COREY FIENHAGE (D) - 3RD RD (#81) BUFFALO SABRES

BRETT HEXTALL (F) - 6TH RD (#159) PHOENIX COYOTES

ANDREW MACWILLIAM (D) - 7TH RD (#188) TORONTO MAPLE LEAFS - 09'

JOE GLEASON (D) - 7TH RD (#192) CHICAGO BLACKHAWKS- 09'

2009 NHL ENTRY DRAFT POTENTIALS

CORBAN KNIGHT (F)

DANNY MATTSON (F)

MIKE CICHY (F)

DEREK RODWELL (F)

Very interesting..Remember back in the 90's when the Sioux would be lucky to have one draft pick on their roster. Now in 2009-10, they have the potential to have 18 draft picks on their roster

Very interesting..Remember back in the 90's when the Sioux would be lucky to have one draft pick on their roster. Now in 2009-10, they have the potential to have 18 draft picks on their roster

Only Cichy will come from this draft class - we will have 15 rostered draft picks - 16 if Forney comes.

Only Cichy will come from this draft class - we will have 15 rostered draft picks - 16 if Forney comes.

true, my bad on that. totally spaced it out that mattson, knight and rodwell will be in juniors. and yes 16 if forney comes back.