SiouxSports.com Forum

New Uniforms?

breakin face

My only critique would be to have either the interlocking logo or the state name, not both.

If you have the interlocking ND you have to have North Dakota with it.

Per http://www.universityrelations.und.edu/web...northdakota.pdf

The Interlocking ND mark must always be used in conjunction with another University of North Dakota trademark as illustrated with these examples.

I believe that's why the 2008-09 hockey shoulder patch had the five-letter S-word on it.

• Replies 248
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If you have the interlocking ND you have to have North Dakota with it.

Per http://www.universityrelations.und.edu/web...northdakota.pdf

I believe that's why the 2008-09 hockey shoulder patch had the five-letter S-word on it.

I saw on there they have the "force of the north" as trademarked verbage for und. I wouldn't be surprised if that wasn't affiliated with the new nickname and the und interlocking logo is the official logo for UND.

Does the new interlocking "ND" design fall under the same rules, or does it stand alone as a new logo?

The question (and I'm not an intellectual property attorney) would be this:

Is the new interlocked logo distinct enough that it is a new and unique entity and thus wouldn't have the need for extra words by it.

The question (and I'm not an intellectual property attorney) would be this:

Is the new interlocked logo distinct enough that it is a new and unique entity and thus wouldn't have the need for extra words by it.

The safe play would be to have it inside of the North Dakota shape. However, I really like it "standalone" in Big A HG's mock up.

The safe play would be to have it inside of the North Dakota shape.

The font (sharp, not block) and the overlapping (obvious and overt, instead of none) would seem to make that new and unique.

On a jersey front I'd like to see it alone.

I'd like it in the state outline on the shoulder patch. It'd look good up a flag pole too.

Get me a good new logo to look at and I'll forget the folks at Spirit Lake and Standing Rock in no time. I'm not sure that's what the masses there want, but it sure seems that's what their tribal councils want.

Just the Stars might work just not North Stars because that is Minnesota's name. How about the Fighting Dakotans and no logo that would work!

imo...there isnt a need for a new nickname at all. no reason to just have a nickname to have one when you get screwed out of the sioux nickname. just keep it UNIVERSITY OF NORTH DAKOTA and we can refer to the team however we choose. please no nickname!

imo...there isnt a need for a new nickname at all. no reason to just have a nickname to have one when you get screwed out of the sioux nickname. just keep it UNIVERSITY OF NORTH DAKOTA and we can refer to the team however we choose. please no nickname!

I have been solidly in this camp ever since the NCAA "settlement". With no new nickname and/or logo, the Fighting Sioux will still be the Fighting Sioux, just not officially.

But I've heard some people talking recently about adopting some "non-offensive" nickname that would coincide with the current logo; I can't imagine what that would be, nor what the NCAA would allow, but it is certainly worth exploring.

I have been solidly in this camp ever since the NCAA "settlement". With no new nickname and/or logo, the Fighting Sioux will still be the Fighting Sioux, just not officially.

But I've heard some people talking recently about adopting some "non-offensive" nickname that would coincide with the current logo; I can't imagine what that would be, nor what the NCAA would allow, but it is certainly worth exploring.

yeah i never thoguht about it really until last december sitting at a bar in grand forks and my buddy jason brought it up. took a minute to think about and i was all for it. i sure hope they dont get a new one but understand if they do but will stick with my sioux jerseys forever :D

Folks:

There are two issues here, namely the five-letter S-word, and the logo.

The logo by itself is in violation of the NCAA policy.

It's an "American Indian mascot".

That has to go.

exactly and i think everyoe understands that and we dont need a new mascot/name/logo, just use the ND and other variations of north dakota on the hockey sweaters and all athletics. dont just change to change for no reason.

But I've heard some people talking recently about adopting some "non-offensive" nickname that would coincide with the current logo; ...

exactly and i think everyoe understands that ...

Uh, that says "not really" (if they mean the one designed by Ben Brien) and hence my post. :D

I'd forgotten amid all this mental and emotional turmoil that the logo was deemed "offensive" as well.

Perhaps I should sue the NCAA for causing me all this distress.

Anyone else want in? We could be a class action.

:D

Something I whipped up out of boredom waiting for graduation to start....

Anyone like?

There are two parallel shoulder stripes, one is showing on the front, one on the back. I used the, what I presume, will be our new "ND" logo on the front. And, of course, with green pants :D

My goal was to make something a little more "PC" friendly for our coming years.

siouxhomeconceptfrontsmall.pngsiouxhomeconceptbacksmall.pngsiouxconceptpants.png

I Like this look!!! but I would Make "North" and "Dakota" the same size, and put the ND logo in the middle of it. just going from what that would look like in my mind but I think it would look ok. I def think North and Dakota would have to be the same size.

I could be wrong but my understanding was the settlement with the NCAA specifically stated UND could not simply drop the Sioux nickname/logo without adopting a new one.

Whatever the new nickname is I hope it is something unique to this area. I would not be happy with the Wildcats or some other stupid animal based name shared by 1000 different schools. Personally I would like to see something reflecting the Scandinavian heritage, since apparently white people cannot be offended.

QUOTE (Big A HG @ May 16 2009, 01:47 PM) *

Something I whipped up out of boredom waiting for graduation to start....

Anyone like?

There are two parallel shoulder stripes, one is showing on the front, one on the back. I used the, what I presume, will be our new "ND" logo on the front. And, of course, with green pants smile.gif

My goal was to make something a little more "PC" friendly for our coming years.

I Like this look!!! but I would Make "North" and "Dakota" the same size, and put the ND logo in the middle of it. just going from what that would look like in my mind but I think it would look ok. I def think North and Dakota would have to be the same size.

I love the green jerseys! The throwback to the '50's is very cool especially if the fit were more of the swift style which in my opinion mimics the form fit of the old sweaters. I would like this style in the black as well.

I think the white jerseys from Big HG are very nice as well. i would like to see a white design with the only the ND over the state logo on the front.

Here's my green away version. Was working on the black alternate version before my program crashed (first time it happened, so not sure why). I'll finish it later...

Added the white ones again just for a side-by-side comparison.

siouxawayconcept.pngsiouxawayconceptback.png

siouxhomeconceptfrontsmall.pngsiouxhomeconceptbacksmall.png