SiouxSports.com Forum

Blais

DAR

From Kevin Pates in Duluth

http://www.areavoices.com/rinkandrun/?blog=51753

"... ALSO there is talk that WCHA commissioner Bruce McLeod will be in Omaha this week to talk with Nebraska-Omaha officials about joining the league. At the same time, Omaha's new athletic director, Trev Alberts, is in the midst of a search for a hockey coach, to replace Mike Kemp. The most recent rumor is that Dean Blais is the coaching front-runner."

IF uno joins the wcha, and IF blais is their new head coach... don't think und, um, uw or the other big dogs wouldn't lose some top recruits. one thing blais could do is recruit... even to omaha.

• Replies 142
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

IF uno joins the wcha, and IF blais is their new head coach... don't think und, um, uw or the other big dogs wouldn't lose some top recruits. one thing blais could do is recruit... even to omaha.

Omaha would be easier to recruit to than most other WCHA teams. Great sports town, great facility, and nice urban area. If UNO joined the WCHA with Blais at the helm then you add best competition, and great coach to the mix then you have a slam dunk for some "blue chippahs".

Omaha would be easier to recruit to than most other WCHA teams. Great sports town, great facility, and nice urban area. If UNO joined the WCHA with Blais at the helm then you add best competition, and great coach to the mix then you have a slam dunk for some "blue chippahs".

I don't think Blais will do it.

I think Hastings is the man. He'll deny it until the pot sweetens enough.

The real question is if the WCHA will steal UNO away from the CCHA.

The world's worst kept secret is now officail, Blais will be the head coach for World Juniors. I imagine Lee is a shoe-in for starting goaltender now. The only other Husky I think has an outside shot at making it is Hanowski. Who'll represent the Sioux?

thank god!! hope dean can get this program/team back competing for a gold or a friken medal at that! great choice

kristo for sure

Assuming, of course, that Blais and the talent of US players have improved since 1994. Dean led the team to a 1-5-1 record that year.

This will be a good audition for an NHL coaching job. As we all know the WJC gets tremendous coverage in Canada and Blais clould get lots of buzz with a good showing.

The world's worst kept secret is now officail, Blais will be the head coach for World Juniors. I imagine Lee is a shoe-in for starting goaltender now. The only other Husky I think has an outside shot at making it is Hanowski. Who'll represent the Sioux?

I would guess Kristo for sure.

Not sure on who else...

Assuming, of course, that Blais and the talent of US players have improved since 1994. Dean led the team to a 1-5-1 record that year.

That was the same team my brother in law Andy Brink and Toby K played for.

What do you guys make out all of the rumors that have Blais going back to the Gophers, I heard this rumor a few times lately.

Anyone else hear this one. Fiona Quick had it on her Twitter a while back.

What do you guys make out all of the rumors that have Blais going back to the Gophers, I heard this rumor a few times lately.

I think it's way too early for those rumors. They still have a coach that won 2 National Championships in the past decade. If Lucia decides to step down, has more health problems or they have a bad year and decide to replace him then I think Blais would be a leading contender. He did play for them back in his misspent youth. I think that the Gopher faithful would accept him back in spite of his years in Grand Forks.

She hates Lucia more than most on this board and is likely a mouth for some alums who won't take a shot at Coach on their own. Lucia will complete his contract through 11-12 at a minimum in my opinion.

She hates Lucia more than most on this board and is likely a mouth for some alums who won't take a shot at Coach on their own. Lucia will complete his contract through 11-12 at a minimum in my opinion.

That maybe true but I keep hearing through other people as well that some big time alums want Blaiser to coach the Gophers. I also heard that the illness that Lucia suffered this season was the only thing that kept him from getting fired. You do have to wonder after a time if there is a movement underfoot? I also don't think there are a lot of us that HATE Lucia. There is a difference than despising a rival as opposed to hating a human being. Personally I think Lucia is doing a great job in Minnesota and don't want to see Blais as the coach of the Gophers.

That maybe true but I keep hearing through other people as well that some big time alums want Blaiser to coach the Gophers. I also heard that the illness that Lucia suffered this season was the only thing that kept him from getting fired. You do have to wonder after a time if there is a movement underfoot? I also don't think there are a lot of us that HATE Lucia. There is a difference than despising a rival as opposed to hating a human being. Personally I think Lucia is doing a great job in Minnesota and don't want to see Blais as the coach of the Gophers.

Who are these other people you talk about?

Here's a purely hypothetical question.....

Everyone around here (with the exception of one) HATES the Gophers. Hates 'em with a passion. If Blaiser ever took a coaching job at UM, will he be greeted with cheers or jeers when he visits The Ralph for the first time on the opposing bench?

I've never been a big Blais fan (don't dislike him, just don't get my undies in a bunch for him either), so I don't know what I'd do. Once a Gopher always a Gopher though...

Everyone around here (with the exception of one) HATES the Gophers. Hates 'em with a passion. If Blaiser ever took a coaching job at UM, will he be greeted with cheers or jeers when he visits The Ralph for the first time on the opposing bench?

I've never been a big Blais fan (don't dislike him, just don't get my undies in a bunch for him either), so I don't know what I'd do. Once a Gopher always a Gopher though...

I think there will be jeers. Gophers are Gophers. Remember, he was a Gopher before he was a Sioux.

I like Blais, but I like Hakstol too.

I wouldn't hate him. Blais spent a lot of time at UND and will always be part of the Fighting Sioux family. But I would definitely be rooting against him if he showed up leading the UMTC Maroon and Gold.

Who are these other people you talk about?

Still waitng for who these people are, goon.

Let me give you an assist, Goon. Not that you need my help.

Jim Souhan wrote an article that appeared in Star-Tribune on March 12, 2009. Clocks might be winding down on Lemaire, Lucia. Here is some of what Souhan wrote:

We thought we were set for life with our two big-time hockey coaches. We were wrong.

A couple of years ago Jacques Lemaire, the only coach in Wild history, and Don Lucia, winner of two national titles at the U, probably could have signed lifetime contracts. Today, locking up Lemaire might prove impossible, and locking up Lucia might be inadvisable.

Lucia is in the midst of another season of soft play and mediocre results from the once-dominant Gophers. By this time next year, Lemaire probably will be sunning himself in Florida, and Lucia could be feeling a different kind of heat.

If Lemaire were less diplomatic, he might publicly blame his bosses for the Wild's dearth of talent. Lucia can make no such excuses -- he's responsible for a program that is becoming known for soft defensive play and spotty goaltending.

Lucia was sidelined by an illness earlier this season. That, combined with his legacy, ensures that he'll receive the benefit of the doubt for at least another year.

Lemaire is probably as good as gone. Lucia has plenty of methods and resources with which to right his powerful program, but he might not have as much time as he thinks.

Personally, I think Lucia is one of the better coaches in the country and has a lengthy list of accomplishments few others have.

Let me give you an assist, Goon. Not that you need my help.

Jim Souhan wrote an article that appeared in Star-Tribune on March 12, 2009. Clocks might be winding down on Lemaire, Lucia. Here is some of what Souhan wrote:

We thought we were set for life with our two big-time hockey coaches. We were wrong.

A couple of years ago Jacques Lemaire, the only coach in Wild history, and Don Lucia, winner of two national titles at the U, probably could have signed lifetime contracts. Today, locking up Lemaire might prove impossible, and locking up Lucia might be inadvisable.

Lucia is in the midst of another season of soft play and mediocre results from the once-dominant Gophers. By this time next year, Lemaire probably will be sunning himself in Florida, and Lucia could be feeling a different kind of heat.

If Lemaire were less diplomatic, he might publicly blame his bosses for the Wild's dearth of talent. Lucia can make no such excuses -- he's responsible for a program that is becoming known for soft defensive play and spotty goaltending.

Lucia was sidelined by an illness earlier this season. That, combined with his legacy, ensures that he'll receive the benefit of the doubt for at least another year.

Lemaire is probably as good as gone. Lucia has plenty of methods and resources with which to right his powerful program, but he might not have as much time as he thinks.

Personally, I think Lucia is one of the better coaches in the country and has a lengthy list of accomplishments few others have.

Diggin,

I don't know if you follow Souhan writings or heard him speak about hockey but he is no different than Ruesse when it comes to hockey - He hates it!. He has said mutltiple times that he knows nothing about hockey yet alone like it. The man is entitled to his opinion but when it comes to hockey knowledge or having inside info on Lucia or the Gopher program I highly doubt it.

I'm not saying that I am an expert but I go to every home and away game and I have never seen him at a game and I do know some people within the program and they have said that they have never seen him at practices or around the facility. So when it comes to Gopher hockey his credibility is very thin. Also, I don't think Souhan is one the people that Goon is referring to when he says that he has heard from other people that Lucia would have been fired if it was not for his illness. Goon has referred not to comment on who these "other people are" and I guess that is his choice.

Diggin,

I don't know if you follow Souhan writings or heard him speak about hockey but he is no different than Ruesse when it comes to hockey - He hates it!. He has said mutltiple times that he knows nothing about hockey yet alone like it. The man is entitled to his opinion but when it comes to hockey knowledge or having inside info on Lucia or the Gopher program I highly doubt it.

I'm not saying that I am an expert but I go to every home and away game and I have never seen him at a game and I do know some people within the program and they have said that they have never seen him at practices or around the facility. So when it comes to Gopher hockey his credibility is very thin. Also, I don't think Souhan is one the people that Goon is referring to when he says that he has heard from other people that Lucia would have been fired if it was not for his illness. Goon has referred not to comment on who these "other people are" and I guess that is his choice.

I believe Goon has some family ties to Gopher hockey, and I wouldn't expect him to name names. Probably with much better rumor connections than you.

I believe Goon has some family ties to Gopher hockey, and I wouldn't expect him to name names. Probably with much better rumor connections than you.

That's a pretty bold statement considering you don't even know me. If Goon doesn't want to name names that's fine.