SiouxSports.com Forum

SIOUX vs UNH

AZSIOUX

I'm sorry, but "the boys" did NOT play very well. You're statement contradicts itself. I understand trying to be positive, but losing the last three games of the season does not sit well with me. Call me a tough critic, but I expect more from my Fighting Sioux...

The boys played well...till the end was sarcasim. I'm sorry you didn't get it, but we controlled the play for most of the game...most not 60 mins :( It's sad we lost because of our mistakes, that's hockey tho! The loss is not easy to take but....there is a next year, and we will see how they do. You can't fix what has happened already even if you are a "tough critic"

I also expected more, but we didn't get it.

• Replies 943
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Well, look on the bright side. Now that annoying North Dakota team is out of the tournament, we can get back to the Duluth love fest. :( I find it ironic that many of the people questioning the fanhood of fellow posters who are pissed at the manner in which UND lost are some of the exact same ones who were equally elated when Duluth won in the exact same fashion. Nothing shows your true Fighting Sioux fanhood like not showing any emotion when UND loses and jumping for joy when Duluth wins!

Seriously now, I've never understood the whole 3 Musketeers attitude when it comes to college sports & conferences. In football, I can understand it to a point, since if you are able to create the illusion that your conference is superior, it will help your cause for getting a title shot. But in hockey, there is a playoff. Who cares if every other WCHA teams sucks, as long as UND wins? If you win your conference and win 4 games in the tourney, you are the champs. That is all that matters. Quick, off the top of your head somebody tell me who had the strongest strength of schedule in 1958. Now tell me who won the title. In 40 years, how many Sioux fans are going to be looking back gloriously on the 2002-6 seasons and reminiscing about how even though UND didn't win, at least a WCHA team won the title 5 straight years! Maybe we can even invite those teams back to Engelstad for a 25th anniversary celebration! If the Vikings are eliminated, do you immediately start cheering for the Bears, Lions, and Packers? When a fan of a team in the NFC East starts giving you crap about how terrible Tarvaris is, do you snap back with a remark about how the '85 Bears were arguably the most dominant team in modern NFL history? The Packers are the next closest team geographically, and aside from Vikings fans, I know more Packers fans than any other team in the NFL, so shouldn't I want to keep the Super Bowl title within the old NFC Central?

I can understand rooting for another team once UND has been eliminated, but I just don't understand this attitude about how if a CCHA or Hockey East team loses to a WCHA team it somehow makes UND's loss seem "better". And I also don't understand all the hatred toward Melrose about East Coast bias. Have you listened to him call games in the past? He is in love with UND. He was gushing about VV, Duncan, and Malone the whole game. He was even waxing poetic about Genoway, for crying out loud! Face it, there is quality hockey outside the WCHA, and I think that makes UND's 7 national titles even more impressive. That's something we as fans should be proud of, not complaining about.

You are my new best friend. I agree 100%. I was stunned when the BWW last night erupted in joy when UMD scored with .8 left.

Was has Duluth done for us? They don't give us anything. They are a rival and an enemy. I hope Miami pounds 'em.

Well, look on the bright side. Now that annoying North Dakota team is out of the tournament, we can get back to the Duluth love fest. :( I find it ironic that many of the people questioning the fanhood of fellow posters who are pissed at the manner in which UND lost are some of the exact same ones who were equally elated when Duluth won in the exact same fashion. Nothing shows your true Fighting Sioux fanhood like not showing any emotion when UND loses and jumping for joy when Duluth wins!

Seriously now, I've never understood the whole 3 Musketeers attitude when it comes to college sports & conferences. In football, I can understand it to a point, since if you are able to create the illusion that your conference is superior, it will help your cause for getting a title shot. But in hockey, there is a playoff. Who cares if every other WCHA teams sucks, as long as UND wins? If you win your conference and win 4 games in the tourney, you are the champs. That is all that matters. Quick, off the top of your head somebody tell me who had the strongest strength of schedule in 1958. Now tell me who won the title. In 40 years, how many Sioux fans are going to be looking back gloriously on the 2002-6 seasons and reminiscing about how even though UND didn't win, at least a WCHA team won the title 5 straight years! Maybe we can even invite those teams back to Engelstad for a 25th anniversary celebration! If the Vikings are eliminated, do you immediately start cheering for the Bears, Lions, and Packers? When a fan of a team in the NFC East starts giving you crap about how terrible Tarvaris is, do you snap back with a remark about how the '85 Bears were arguably the most dominant team in modern NFL history? The Packers are the next closest team geographically, and aside from Vikings fans, I know more Packers fans than any other team in the NFL, so shouldn't I want to keep the Super Bowl title within the old NFC Central?

I can understand rooting for another team once UND has been eliminated, but I just don't understand this attitude about how if a CCHA or Hockey East team loses to a WCHA team it somehow makes UND's loss seem "better". And I also don't understand all the hatred toward Melrose about East Coast bias. Have you listened to him call games in the past? He is in love with UND. He was gushing about VV, Duncan, and Malone the whole game. He was even waxing poetic about Genoway, for crying out loud! Face it, there is quality hockey outside the WCHA, and I think that makes UND's 7 national titles even more impressive. That's something we as fans should be proud of, not complaining about.

I'm with you. But don't lump other college sports in with the 3 Musketeers attitude. From what I've seen, it's a college hockey thing, period.

I'm sorry, but "the boys" did NOT play very well. You're statement contradicts itself. I understand trying to be positive, but losing the last three games of the season does not sit well with me. Call me a tough critic, but I expect more from my Fighting Sioux...

UND played well against both UMD and UNH. They could have easily won both games.

The boys played well...till the end was sarcasim. I'm sorry you didn't get it, but we controlled the play for most of the game...most not 60 mins :( It's sad we lost because of our mistakes, that's hockey tho! The loss is not easy to take but....there is a next year, and we will see how they do. You can't fix what has happened already even if you are a "tough critic"

I also expected more, but we didn't get it.

We're on the same page, then. Sorry, but I'm just bitter right now. I'll get over it in a couple of days and move on to next year.

You are my new best friend. I agree 100%. I was stunned when the BWW last night erupted in joy when UMD scored with .8 left.

Was has Duluth done for us? They don't give us anything. They are a rival and an enemy. I hope Miami pounds 'em.

I don't.

All of the last two seasons, every time Miami was on the ice, the term "Powerhouse" was used to describe them at least 3 times per game.

They've done nothing. They've won ONE game in their NCAA Regional lives, and that was yesterday.

I have no love for UMD, but I'd rather them win than the Miami Redtards.

In any case, I think, stats wise, I'm happy UND showed up for almost 2.25 periods.

UNH showed up for 3 + OT. No wonder why they won.

Next year, we'll put in 3 periods.

This year, the team has no one else to blame but themselves. They blew it big time.

BU is owning OSU (no surprise there) and I bet they pound UNH.

BU walks to the Frozen Four.

And I predict they take it all too.

sorry guys... but Joe Finley sucks! He made too many mistakes and didn't take his man when UNH scored in overtime/

Not to put all the blame on Finley, but I am glad he is gone.

Stop talking and your apology will be accepted.

Finley didn't single handledly choke on a 2 goal lead.

UND lost the game. Not Finley. If you do want to blame him though, that's fine. Let the haters have one last hurrah.

It will be interesting to see who is the whipping boy next year though. Finley is gone. Genoway might have sucked today too, but he's too much of a fan favorite. LaPoint? Well.... all the pieces are there but there is a sympathetic side to his case and he did do a pretty good job on the PK... Blood? Fienhage?

OH! MacWilliam! Big, bruiser. Sure to take untimely penalties. Maybe he'll be the next Finley.

I don't know. Guess the haters have all off season to cook something up. I can't wait to see what they come up with.

In any case, I think, stats wise, I'm happy UND showed up for almost 2.25 periods.

UNH showed up for 3 + OT. No wonder why they won.

UNH didn't show up for 3 periods plus OT.

There were large stretches in the 2nd and early 3rd where they couldn't do anything. The Sioux were just dominating them.

UND controlled play for good chunks of time. IMO they could have easily won that game. UNH got pretty lucky scoring a goal with less than a second left. Those are the bounces sometimes.

UND lost the game. Not Finley. If you do want to blame him though, that's fine. Let the haters have one last hurrah.

It will be interesting to see who is the whipping boy next year though. Finley is gone. Genoway might have sucked today too, but he's too much of a fan favorite. LaPoint? Well.... all the pieces are there but there is a sympathetic side to his case and he did do a pretty good job on the PK... Blood? Fienhage?

OH! MacWilliam! Big, bruiser. Sure to take untimely penalties. Maybe he'll be the next Finley.

I don't know. Guess the haters have all off season to cook something up. I can't wait to see what they come up with.

You should have read the comments from the finley haters on Brad's blog. Unbelievable.

UNH didn't show up for 3 periods plus OT.

There were large stretches in the 2nd and early 3rd where they couldn't do anything. The Sioux were just dominating them.

UND controlled play for good chunks of time. IMO they could have easily won that game. UNH got pretty lucky scoring a goal with less than a second left. Those are the bounces sometimes.

bounces?

Bah.

That might explain one goal... but giving up 3 unanswered, including the OT goal? Sorry.

That's choke.

You should have read the comments from the finley haters on Brad's blog. Unbelievable.

I don't read Brad's comment section anymore.

All they do is blast Sioux players, Finley or otherwise.

I really wish Brad would only selectively open comment sections and be almost a dictator about moderation.

Give it a couple years. When Joe is in the big show looking good, people will be like "remember when Joe played here? We sure miss him."

I'm glad Joe is leaving for his sake. If people really watched the game, watch how out of position Mr. Chay "Awesome" Genoway is 90% of the game leaving Big Joe hanging.

Exactly what I was thinking! Finley wasn't terrible but is often left out to dry by his partner. He might be a tad slow but we'll see next year when he's in the AHL possible NHL and we're still here reading the comments about the next whipping boy. And will Melrose please stop talking!!! I'm takin Notre Dame the rest of the way.

I haven't posted much on this board this year; busy and all.

I'm disappointed of course, but not mad. I was 1000X more p!ssed last year, when they lucked out against Wisco and didn't even show up against BC.

Today, the Sioux looked very good; with some lapses towards the end. Even Melrose was highly complimentary throughout the game. UNH had puck luck and took advantage of every miscue. I doubt they'll go much further either-- as they've probably used up all their magic.

Bottom line: I'm happy with the McNaughton Cup. I think that is a big step forward for the Hakstol program. But, an early exit in the NCAA tourney seemed inevitable based on the WCHA FF performance. As with previous years, you cannot start your playoff run in January. No way. The team was absolutely gassed last weekend, and it showed again today late in the third.

If Hak's boys maintain the home ice excellence into the start of next season, they will be in much better shape towards the end of the season. I'm hopeful they'll successfully defend the Cup, from a more balanced effort, and then take a rested/healthy group into post season for another go at it.

Finally, go Dog's!

taz wishes all the best to those along the Red

bounces?

Bah.

That might explain one goal... but giving up 3 unanswered, including the OT goal? Sorry.

That's choke.

Yes, bounces. Hockey games are decided by them sometimes. :(

If the crazy bounce on the GTG doesn't happen, then we don't have to worry about the OT winner, as the final ends up 5-4 UND.

Either way, nice job by UNH, they got the pretty setup goal in OT to live another day.

Big A - NO EFFING WAY will Genoway be criticized. The guy has made some great plays over his 3 years here and is a fan favorite. He wasn't drafted. Finley was a first round pick and therefore, should have been Dion Phaneuf/JMFJ/EJ/Pronger/Chara all rolled into one. And yea, I'll go as far as to say Genoway or any of the other D could have skated around the perimeter scoping out the chicks while Finley was left high and dry and Finley still would have been crucified.

Well, Finley has one thing going for him though: At least he's not Brian Lee. (FYI- For those of you tired of hearing about it, I'll NEVER stop bringing it up until posters here tire of throwing players under the bus when the team blows it big time. Finley had a bad game. Wow. So did the team otherwise they would have WON THE GAME).

siouxperseven - Yup. MARK MY WORDS: Finley WILL play in the NHL. I don't know for which team or how long it will take for him to reach the pros, but Washington drafted two big D in the first round that year and Finley is the ONLY one they talk about. The other, Pakaluk (out of Cornell) has been rather quiet.

Hmmm... I'll take Finley 10 times out of 10 opportunities over Pakaluk. Heh. Cornell didn't even recruit his brother.

You seem to be the guy who believes the Sioux can do no wrong. Can't criticize a hard-working college kid, his feelings might get hurt. Anybody with a complaint against how the Sioux played are just haters, in your opinion. You do realize that you can still love and support a team 100%, but still be upset with how they played, or how they were coached, right? The sky is full of rainbows and chocolate covered raindrops, right? I do not blame Finley solely for this loss, absolutely not. This loss against UNH is a choke-job of huge proportions. I, for one, am tired of this crap for the past 5 years. I want to see some grit and killer instinct from my lads come NCAA playoff time, and I have not seen it consistently lately. I don't know where the blame lies, and I'm not interested in pointing fingers. I just want different results. GO SIOUX!!!

You seem to be the guy who believes the Sioux can do no wrong. Can't criticize a hard-working college kid, his feelings might get hurt. Anybody with a complaint against how the Sioux played are just haters, in your opinion. You do realize that you can still love and support a team 100%, but still be upset with how they played, or how they were coached, right? The sky is full of rainbows and chocolate covered raindrops, right? I do not blame Finley solely for this loss, absolutely not. This loss against UNH is a choke-job of huge proportions. I, for one, am tired of this crap for the past 5 years. I want to see some grit and killer instinct from my lads come NCAA playoff time, and I have not seen it consistently lately. I don't know where the blame lies, and I'm not interested in pointing fingers. I just want different results. GO SIOUX!!!

And you seem to think that I believe the SIOUX can do no wrong. I don't. I don't think that it is fair or appropriate to CONSISTENTLY AND CONSTANTLY RAIL individual players on a team you supposedly root for.

If posters here "don't blame X for the loss" then why do they rail on him so much instead of railing on the team for choking away the game?

Because they want to blame SOMEONE for the loss and there's Finley...whose game was poor, for sure, but it stood out because some posters here decided almost from day FREAKING ONE that Finley sucked.

I have no problem with railing on the SIOUX as a TEAM. But pointing fingers at individual players over and over and over again? Nope. Sorry. I'll stand up for that player EVERY SINGLE TIME. No matter how aggravating or annoying I get.