SiouxSports.com Forum

SIOUX vs UNH

AZSIOUX

People are just frustrated. It sucks to be ousted like this. I was so looking forward to a tilt with BU tomorrow. But no, just like that season over. It is how we lost more than anything that has me upset and frustrated. We pissed the game away and that is the disappointing part. A 5-1 loss would be a lot easier to swallow.

• Replies 943
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

People are just frustrated. It sucks to be ousted like this. I was so looking forward to a tilt with BU tomorrow. But no, just like that season over. It is how we lost more than anything that has me upset and frustrated. We pissed the game away and that is the disappointing part. A 5-1 loss would be a lot easier to swallow.

Indeed! The BC game last year was easy to take since we were just completely outplayed and dominated by BC.

When the games are close like this....it really hurts to lose.

This one will be a little hard to get over but nothing will come close to how I felt when the 2003-2004 Fighting Sioux squad lost to Denver in the West Regional Final. :angry:

Joe Finley with the exclamation point on a bust of a career. I will miss his glacier-like speed everytime we lose to a Hockey East team in the National tournament. I will miss not having a 6'7" 250lb guy that never once dropped his gloves in 4 years at UND. I will miss hearing from all of his apologists that think he actually turned away good pro offers to come back to UND. He is Hal Gill minus some speed and minus a lot of toughness. Have fun in the AHL.

Finley should have dropped the gloves and gone after that cocky a$$ LeBlanc, after he whipped out his "six shooters" at center ice to celebrate his OT goal.....

Finley should have dropped the gloves and gone after that cocky a$$ LeBlanc, after he whipped out his "six shooters" at center ice to celebrate his OT goal.....

The only thing I wanted from Joe Finley was to play his position correctly when the game was on the line...

Hockey East looked strong all season.

Could this be a shift in the power we have been fearing? WCHA is down to one team. One that has come from 7th place to get hot when you need to.

Now's the time to show WCHA pride, as who plays the best hockey.

What would have been the point. Ahhh so frustrating

Hey at least in a couple weeks I get to drop another 2 grand on my favorite team who chokes every year. So pumped to get those season tix at the Ralph again!

For how often I saw you selling your tickets on Siouxsports this year, you might has well pass on them.

The only thing I wanted from Joe Finley was to play his position correctly when the game was on the line...

I just don't get how you let let a guy that free in OT and not put a stick on him or anything. At least take a penalty and try and hook him. Eidness had little chance on that one as he had all day to pick his shot.

Frustrating to see him play his season's worst, all in 15.1 seconds of gametime. The guys a turtle on the ice - if he can't muscle people out of the way, what's the point of him getting playing time?

Just VERY frustrating.....

All the negativity in this town sucks......

Yeah, an OT loss hurts. Giving up the lead hurts.

But this team really is probably as big a bunch of over-achievers as we've had wearing the Fighting Sioux sweater for a long time. There is not a bona fide superstar on the team, and look where they went.

I like what I saw out of some of the youngsters today: Gregoire, Frattin, Hextall, and Malone played with some fire. I truly hope VandeVelde comes back 'cause that's a really good nucleus. Add in a reinvigorated Trupp and the incoming freshman and we've got some serious stuff up front. And Blood proved himself to me this last month as a WCHA d-man.

It's a lousy way for the seniors to go out and I'm certain they all feel like hell about it. I was going to say they deserved better, but after losing all the real "talent" of their freshman class, these seniors maybe didn't even belong in the tourney. I think they overcame a lot, and while their last three games were bitter losses, their time wearing the sweater for my alma mater was rewarding to me; I hope it was to them as well.

edit: btw, Finley and Genoway were -1 for those keeping score. Not bad in a game in which the opponents put 6 on us.

Season over. Big Joe seems to play his worst games in the playoffs...don't know why, but he does. You should never lose a hockey game when you score 5 goals. It was a big time choke job. When the SIoux went into a defensive shell after VV's goal, I knew we were in trouble. We are not a defensive team, so playing defensively is never a good thing for this squad.

I expect to lose Chay and VV this offseason.

Fun year, I think this team overachieved. The MN sweep and the shelacking of Denver at the Ralph were the highlights.

Frustrating to see him play his season's worst, all in 15.1 seconds of gametime. The guys a turtle on the ice - if he can't muscle people out of the way, what's the point of him getting playing time?

Just VERY frustrating.....

The Sioux had some notable weaknesses this year, and yet managed to win the McNaughton Cup and were in good position to make a post-season tournament run. One of the great things about college hockey is that players who don't play their positions well like Finley or Eidsness will usually either get better or get replaced quickly, making the "there's always next year" ring a little truer than for most pro teams.

I'll take another run of four Final Fours in a row any time. Perhaps starting next year?

John

Season over. Big Joe seems to play his worst games in the playoffs...don't know why, but he does. You should never lose a hockey game when you score 5 goals. It was a big time choke job. When the SIoux went into a defensive shell after VV's goal, I knew we were in trouble. We are not a defensive team, so playing defensively is never a good thing for this squad.

I expect to lose Chay and VV this offseason.

Fun year, I think this team overachieved. The MN sweep and the shelacking of Denver at the Ralph were the highlights.

Couldn't agree more.Even Melrose mentioned how the SIOUX don't play that way.They keep playing the way they were prior to VV's goal and the SIOUX are playing tommorrow.

The rodent sweep in January will be in my memory bank till the day I die.The most fun I have ever had at the RALPH.Gonna miss those seniors especially Duncan who is all class on and off the ice.Here is to next year and another trip to the NCAA tourney.

ISn't Chay undrafted? I could see some major offers coming...tough to turn it down

Chay is not a NHL defenseman in my opinion. I don't see any major offers coming his way. Just my opinion. VV will likely go based on what I have read if he gets the right offer from Edmonton.

I don't see any early departures at all...unless some of these guys hate school that much.

I agree with you here. VV can go early, but he'll be seeing the country from a charter bus just like Danny Erman and some other college stars that went a bit too early. And VV wasn't really a star on this team and actually underperformed relative to his prior season efforts. He may have ended up with better numbers, etc. but he isn't a markedly better hockey player than he was last year...He's not small so he won't benefit from the elimination of the WCHA clutch-and-grab style like Parise did (and No, I'm not trying to compare his ability to Z.Par's)...Upside-wise, he's not even close to where Towes was when Towes finished his freshman year and Towes came back. And for an even better comparison, he's nowhere near where Bochenski was at this point in his career and look at where Bo is??? (Where is Bo???)

Tough loss to end the season. How often do the Sioux put 45 shots on net, score 5 goals, have a 2 goal lead with under 10 minutes left in the game, and still lose? Fans will get over this loss, but it is a tough one to swallow. Arguably one of the biggest mini-meltdowns in recent UND seasons. I think trying to score a 6th goal would have been a better idea than trying to hold the lead. It seemed as if they were playing "not to lose" instead of "playing to win" by changing up what they were doing throughout the game. A very different look next year with the 8 seniors, and possibly Vande leaving. They all give it their all, sometimes you just watch and say "what the &%& is he doing out there". I will say I will miss Finley when he was playing good, and won't miss games like today. There is a lot of leadership that will need to be replaced both on and off the ice. Interested in seeing who will step up!!

All the negativity in this town sucks......

Yeah, an OT loss hurts. Giving up the lead hurts.

But this team really is probably as big a bunch of over-achievers as we've had wearing the Fighting Sioux sweater for a long time. There is not a bona fide superstar on the team, and look where they went.

I like what I saw out of some of the youngsters today: Gregoire, Frattin, Hextall, and Malone played with some fire. I truly hope VandeVelde comes back 'cause that's a really good nucleus. Add in a reinvigorated Trupp and the incoming freshman and we've got some serious stuff up front. And Blood proved himself to me this last month as a WCHA d-man.

It's a lousy way for the seniors to go out and I'm certain they all feel like hell about it. I was going to say they deserved better, but after losing all the real "talent" of their freshman class, these seniors maybe didn't even belong in the tourney. I think they overcame a lot, and while their last three games were bitter losses, their time wearing the sweater for my alma mater was rewarding to me; I hope it was to them as well.

edit: btw, Finley and Genoway were -1 for those keeping score. Not bad in a game in which the opponents put 6 on us.

I believe Finley and Genoway were on the ice for 5 of the 6 UNH goals. I understand the plus/minus deal. I feel like I've been kicked in the sack. I never expected this team to get very far in this tournament, but there is NO EXCUSE for giving up a two goal lead in the third period. NONE. Eidsness played like crap. Why was he six feet out of position on the game winning goal? Where were the defensemen? This loss stings. I hate losing like this. I'd rather be rolled 6-1. This is the kind of loss I'd expect from Princeton vs. Minn-Duluth, NOT the Fighting Sioux. Something has to change within this program. I'm not sure what it is. BUT, we haven't had that killer instinst for quite a while. I will always love the Sioux, but...

Tough loss, but the boys played really well....till the end, mistakes cost us as we controlled the game, UNH got their chances off our mistakes so we beat ourselves in the end, great season though! Well get em next year! :angry:

I'm sorry, but "the boys" did NOT play very well. You're statement contradicts itself. I understand trying to be positive, but losing the last three games of the season does not sit well with me. Call me a tough critic, but I expect more from my Fighting Sioux...

Well, look on the bright side. Now that annoying North Dakota team is out of the tournament, we can get back to the Duluth love fest. :angry: I find it ironic that many of the people questioning the fanhood of fellow posters who are pissed at the manner in which UND lost are some of the exact same ones who were equally elated when Duluth won in the exact same fashion. Nothing shows your true Fighting Sioux fanhood like not showing any emotion when UND loses and jumping for joy when Duluth wins!

Seriously now, I've never understood the whole 3 Musketeers attitude when it comes to college sports & conferences. In football, I can understand it to a point, since if you are able to create the illusion that your conference is superior, it will help your cause for getting a title shot. But in hockey, there is a playoff. Who cares if every other WCHA teams sucks, as long as UND wins? If you win your conference and win 4 games in the tourney, you are the champs. That is all that matters. Quick, off the top of your head somebody tell me who had the strongest strength of schedule in 1958. Now tell me who won the title. In 40 years, how many Sioux fans are going to be looking back gloriously on the 2002-6 seasons and reminiscing about how even though UND didn't win, at least a WCHA team won the title 5 straight years! Maybe we can even invite those teams back to Engelstad for a 25th anniversary celebration! If the Vikings are eliminated, do you immediately start cheering for the Bears, Lions, and Packers? When a fan of a team in the NFC East starts giving you crap about how terrible Tarvaris is, do you snap back with a remark about how the '85 Bears were arguably the most dominant team in modern NFL history? The Packers are the next closest team geographically, and aside from Vikings fans, I know more Packers fans than any other team in the NFL, so shouldn't I want to keep the Super Bowl title within the old NFC Central?

I can understand rooting for another team once UND has been eliminated, but I just don't understand this attitude about how if a CCHA or Hockey East team loses to a WCHA team it somehow makes UND's loss seem "better". And I also don't understand all the hatred toward Melrose about East Coast bias. Have you listened to him call games in the past? He is in love with UND. He was gushing about VV, Duncan, and Malone the whole game. He was even waxing poetic about Genoway, for crying out loud! Face it, there is quality hockey outside the WCHA, and I think that makes UND's 7 national titles even more impressive. That's something we as fans should be proud of, not complaining about.