SiouxSports.com Forum

SIOUX vs UMD BULLDOGS

AZSIOUX

Gopher fans are pathetic, beyond belief. We sat behind the Sioux bench tonight...there were two drunk Gopher fans sitting beside the bench harrassing Walski the entire night. What...your team is out so you have to pick on the remaining teams? Show some class and stay home when you get that drunk next time.

• Replies 318
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I think that if you watch the sioux on the PP, they tend to really pick their shots and that is frustrating to watch as a fan but makes sense from a coaching standpoint. With the exception of Duncan on the top of the right circle, they generally try for open shots more down the middle and look for straight-on rebounds. Trouble is, UMD, along with our screeners, clogged the center area and when the puck was to the outside, they were very aggressive on it and played very tight to the player with the puck, knowing that one or two of their teammates would cover the shots down the middle. They were effective. I noticed how often they were right in the sioux player's face when the puck was to the outside in their zone. they gave very little space away and that's why I think that they had such a great PK.

When the sioux take more shots from the top-right or top-left and put shots to the opposite sides, they come up with more loose deflections to fight over and score more dirty ones (like the dog's second goal, although that was on a giveaway and should have been stopped - BE didn't cover the inside of the post).

There didn't appear to many good looks down the middle, so only a few were taken. There's no sense just shooting away at blockers. You have to take angled shots to the opposite side to get deflections to the sticks of the weak side wings. They didn't get many opportunities like that... I also noted that several times, the weak side player was in too close to the net on the angled shots so that when they were deflected, they came out behind him and the puck ended up going all the way to the boards and often time out of the zone...That's also good goaltending - deflecting the shot behind the players instead of onto his stick. The sioux had their chances and I counted at least two open net chances and one puck the went behind the UMD goalie.

COuple things that are wrong with the pp

1. We seldom carry the puck into the offensive zone, so we resort to dump and chase. That results in a coin flip as to who will gain possession.

2. UMD's aggressive PK puts a lot of pressure on the player with possession. Couple that wiht the fact that they beat us to every loose puck and you can't get anything going.

3. PP depends on good passing, side to side, and up and down. We were simply not connecting and not reading each other.

All the credit to the Bulldogs, they took advantage of two Sioux mistakes and made no mistakes of their own. They deserved to win.

We did not have it tonight. Poor effort once we were down. It was like the wind just vanished from our sails...let's face it, UMD isn't the red army team of the 70's and 80's. Sioux were terrible tonight, Dogs weren't good, but they didn't make any mistakes, so they were the better team.

We were awful tonight. Let's hope this a wake up call.

What an F'in joke we could not buy a goal. WE lost this game the same way we lost in the GLI NO GOALS!!!! I am sick of the gopher fans around me and all the cocky a** comments!!! We better win tomm and I want the Gophers out!!!

AMEN to that! I was already pissed leaving the arena tonight after the game and walking back toward Tom Reid's and headed to the car some asshole Gopher fan sees my Sioux jersey and says "go back to the prairie" in a really sarcastic manner right to my face. Boy that threw me over the edge. I got right in his face and said listen here asshole, I am not from the prairie, I am from Minneapolis. I just left it there and flipped him the bird and walked away...what a jerk. Man was I pissed. Gopher hockey fans are the biggest pricks in sports. Never ever had a problem with Dogz fans at all. My blood is finally below the boiling point...

Yeah and I forgot to say. Once again our PP doesn't show up for the game. It needs work big time. It is down right awful. I mean when you can't even score on a 5 minute PP you know something is not clicking. Yes, UMD PK played good but sorry our PP has been horseshit for quite a while now. I won't even mention the PK. :silly:

Sorry but to go far it'd be great to have special teams that is clicking.

Hey, how bout this fact:

The Game Winner was scored SHORTHANDED.

Yeah, if that doesn't spell suck for PP, I don't know what does.

AMEN to that! I was already pissed leaving the arena tonight after the game and walking back toward Tom Reid's and headed to the car some asshole Gopher fan sees my Sioux jersey and says "go back to the prairie" in a really sarcastic manner right to my face. Boy that threw me over the edge. I got right in his face and said listen here asshole, I am not from the prairie, I am from Minneapolis. I just left it there and flipped him the bird and walked away...what a jerk. Man was I pissed. Gopher hockey fans are the biggest pricks in sports. Never ever had a problem with Dogz fans at all. My blood is finally below the boiling point...

More than one Goofer drunk gave us crap as they were leaving the arena. My older son just asked each one, 'What time do the Gophers play tomorrow?'

I have said this before but Kozek needs to be on that top line. Hextall should be on the 4th line. I understand the whole balance thing but Kozek is the best sniper on the team and does not get enough ice time as a 4th liner. Why is Kozek not on the power play??? Makes NO sense to me at all. Our PP sucks!! Very frustrated. Yeah Stalock had a shutout but most of his saves were pretty routine. I sure wish I could ask Hak this question.

I have said this before but Kozek needs to be on that top line. Hextall should be on the 4th line. I understand the whole balance thing but Kozek is the best sniper on the team and does not get enough ice time as a 4th liner. Why is Kozek not on the power play??? Makes NO sense to me at all. Our PP sucks!! Very frustrated. Yeah Stalock had a shutout but most of his saves were pretty routine. I sure wish I could ask Hak this question.

Kozek was out on the PP during the 2nd period. Considering that the Sioux were on the PP for like 9min during the 2nd period, they had to put some fresh bodies out there.

Stalock made some good saves, but he was also extremely lucky on a couple. I can't recall a game where pucks seemed to just bounce over sticks or take funny bounces on rebounds like this. Or how about VV getting that wide open net to look at in the 3rd, only to have the puck roll off his stick...

The Sioux came out flying in the 3rd, looked like they really wanted to get back in the game. It just wasn't our game, and Stalock played well, as did the UMD defenders at clearing out rebounds.

Go Sioux, beat the BADgers!

Lucky you. I got some LOVELY Dogz fans by me. Needless to say, words were exchanged a few times. I really liked the comment about how Watkins knew that guy was going to knee him so he dived and took the penalty.

Kozek was out on the PP during the 2nd period. Considering that the Sioux were on the PP for like 9min during the 2nd period, they had to put some fresh bodies out there.

Stalock made some good saves, but he was also extremely lucky on a couple. I can't recall a game where pucks seemed to just bounce over sticks or take funny bounces on rebounds like this. Or how about VV getting that wide open net to look at in the 3rd, only to have the puck roll off his stick...

The Sioux came out flying in the 3rd, looked like they really wanted to get back in the game. It just wasn't our game, and Stalock played well, as did the UMD defenders at clearing out rebounds.

i would have kozek on the 1st pp unit every game along with a top 2 lien spot. i know he hasnt put up great or even good numbers but damn that shot is lethal and it sure in hell has to be better than anythig else hak is throwing out there on the pp as they wont shoot short handed. i think we had 4 shots on the 5 min major. 7-9 shots should be doable in a 5 min major. kozek should be out there imo but again, what the hell do i know :silly:

MISSION - DC.........................

Yeah but Kozek needs to be out there on the top power play unit. Not as a fill in. Yes the Sioux came out well to start the 3rd...but the obvious question is why did they not come out like that to start the game?? Hakstol said himself if your blood is not boiling this time of year something is wrong...That is the psychology of sport I guess. The Dogz played their second game in 2 nights and they looked like the fresher team...oh well, time to move on.

i would have kozek on the 1st pp unit every game along with a top 2 lien spot. i know he hasnt put up great or even good numbers but damn that shot is lethal and it sure in hell has to be better than anythig else hak is throwing out there on the pp as they wont shoot short handed. i think we had 4 shots on the 5 min major. 7-9 shots should be doable in a 5 min major. kozek should be out there imo but again, what the hell do i know :silly:

MISSION - DC.........................

It is pretty hard to put up good numbers when you are stuck on the 4th line all the time. Look at how he did against CC the second game of the series at the Ralph when Gregoire was hurt against CC and he was on the top line. I thought he was the best player on the ice that game and scored at least one and if memory serves me right maybe two goals.

It is pretty hard to put up good numbers when you are stuck on the 4th line all the time. Look at how he did against CC the second game of the series at the Ralph when Gregoire was hurt against CC and he was on the top line. I thought he was the best player on the ice that game and scored at least one and if memory serves me right maybe two goals.

i agree, its a mystery to me for his 4 years but i dont question hak on that stuff

i think hes our most potent shooter on the team, maybe in the wcha. i look at him as a top line guy but again im not a coach and would neevr pretend i know that much about the game. just frusterating seeing a player with all that skill and talent not getting much icetime

that being said...........im not discouraged anymore, bummed out of course but i give the dogz all the credit!!

beta uw tomorrow and lets take care of our regiona and then go party in DC, obama will be down with the sioux!!

i agree, its a mystery to me for his 4 years but i dont question hak on that stuff

i think hes our most potent shooter on the team, maybe in the wcha. i look at him as a top line guy but again im not a coach and would neevr pretend i know that much about the game. just frusterating seeing a player with all that skill and talent not getting much icetime

that being said...........im not discouraged anymore, bummed out of course but i give the dogz all the credit!!

beta uw tomorrow and lets take care of our regiona and then go party in DC, obama will be down with the sioux!!

The way I see it...it is pretty much guaranteed we will be at Mariucci.

The way I see it...it is pretty much guaranteed we will be at Mariucci.

i agree, very well could be as a 2 seed but i guess you never know with the ncaa. would be sweet if so as the sioux fans would pack that mofo especially if the gophers dont make it there will be tons of ebay/craigslist and tickets on the street

That's pretty much the way we saw it from our seats as well.

Lucky you. I got some LOVELY Dogz fans by me. Needless to say, words were exchanged a few times. I really liked the comment about how Watkins knew that guy was going to knee him so he dived and took the penalty.

Gopher fan behind and to the right of me was yelling "Wah Wah!" when Watkins went down. Typical for that clown and his friends.

My cousin and I watched the game last night via the Rug and Doug. Just for fun, because we all know how much they love the Sioux, we decided to count 1) digs against UND, 2) positive mentions for UND, 3) digs again UMD and 4) positive mentions for UMD, during the broadcast last night.

4) positive mentions for UMD = 24 (not counting Stalock = 8)

3) negative mentions against UMD = 5

2) positives mentions for UND = 5 (all via Woog)

1) drum roll . . . negative mentions against UND = 19

:silly:

Gopher fan behind and to the right of me was yelling "Wah Wah!" when Watkins went down. Typical for that clown and his friends.

Some clown asked me after Watty got kneed if he was just faking, I said did you see him get carried off the ice. I told I wouldn't

be surprised if he is done for the season. According to Dan Myer, Hak was pissed in the post game news conference about the kneeing penalty.