SiouxSports.com Forum

2009 WCHA FINAL 5

AZSIOUX

I think the main reason the Gophers perform poorly in the third place game is because it's tough to come back the next afternoon after playing the night before. I'm not so sure it's about Lucia's mentality as much as others think. I'd love to see the WCHA get rid of the third place game. A team who is already in the NCAA tourney shouldn't have to risk injury to their best players just to claim third place a week before the most important part of the season.

Sucks to have the night game on Friday every year. :lol:

• Replies 138
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

What is even more funny is there is some in the media that think Minnesota will get in regardless of what happens this weekend

because the NCAA will do some tinkering and get the Goofs in because the BADgers made it last year.

I wrote another post where I questioned how they can get paid to cover college hockey and not understand the pwr and why wisconsin got in last year. MN is in if they either win the Final 5 or finish in the top 16 in the PWR less the teams outside the top 16 who happen to win their tournaments. Historically that mean top 14 due to the AHA and CHA, but could be as high up as top 12 if BC or WI win their conference tournaments. Could even be 10 or 11 if some crazy upsets happen in CCHA or ECAC as well.

I think the main reason the Gophers perform poorly in the third place game is because it's tough to come back the next afternoon after playing the night before. I'm not so sure it's about Lucia's mentality as much as others think. I'd love to see the WCHA get rid of the third place game. A team who is already in the NCAA tourney shouldn't have to risk injury to their best players just to claim third place a week before the most important part of the season.

The third place game this year just may mean the difference between making the NCAAs or not for someone. Not to mention that it's all about the Benjamins. And as a fan, I like going to 5 games in 3 days, and hanging out in St. Paul between games on Friday and Saturday.

I wrote another post where I questioned how they can get paid to cover college hockey and not understand the pwr and why wisconsin got in last year. MN is in if they either win the Final 5 or finish in the top 16 in the PWR less the teams outside the top 16 who happen to win their tournaments. Historically that mean top 14 due to the AHA and CHA, but could be as high up as top 12 if BC or WI win their conference tournaments. Could even be 10 or 11 if some crazy upsets happen in CCHA or ECAC as well.

I'm with you. I'm not too worried about the ECAC because whoever wins it will have played themselves into the top 14 of PWR. Hopefully someone other than Yale loses twice.

The CCHA could be problematic as well now that they went to a four team final.

Personally I think things are pretty bleak for both UMD and UM. It is going to be very hard for either to win twice and even if one of them does win twice, they could get usurped by BC, UW or someone in the CCHA.

I'm with you. I'm not too worried about the ECAC because whoever wins it will have played themselves into the top 14 of PWR. Hopefully someone other than Yale loses twice.

The CCHA could be problematic as well now that they went to a four team final.

Personally I think things are pretty bleak for both UMD and UM. It is going to be very hard for either to win twice and even if one of them does win twice, they could get usurped by BC, UW or someone in the CCHA.

didnt ccha use to be the super 6?? or something like that?

um or umd need to go 2-1 to get in more than likely

Everyone knows that the goofers will make the tourney regardless of what happens. Duluth even with a third place finish is done.

I mean, the gophers have played really good lately. The last two series there 3-1! They had to play on the road and got a split! Thats not easy in the WCHA. Sweep at home, split on the road!!!

Everyone knows that the goofers will make the tourney regardless of what happens. Duluth even with a third place finish is done.

I mean, the gophers have played really good lately. The last two series there 3-1! They had to play on the road and got a split! Thats not easy in the WCHA. Sweep at home, split on the road!!!

then count me out of "everyone" because it can go either way crunching pairwise numbers and using that commitee tool from chn unless you are referring that its rigged or something. all depends on what happens around the contry this weekend

didnt ccha use to be the super 6?? or something like that?

um or umd need to go 2-1 to get in more than likely

The CCHA used to have a super six now they do the final four like the other conferences.

I agree. With DU without 2, possibly 3 of their top centers, I can easily see WI winning that game. I could see WI beating UND in the final...auto bid for Bucky and then one less at-large bid. And as mentioned before no play-in team has won the championship so it is a tall order for UMD or UM to make the NCAA field.

then count me out of "everyone" because it can go either way crunching pairwise numbers and using that commitee tool from chn unless you are referring that its rigged or something. all depends on what happens around the contry this weekend

This is the same thing I've been telling people. The PairWise will tell us who is in, and who is out. How many years in a row now has USCHO got the top 16 right on Sunday morning before the committee announces the bracket? Because we have the Pairwise, the "smoke filled" rooms of the past are now gone. In the past, those committees would have found a way to get MN in as they are a host school, simply doesn't happen anymore, that is why I'm thankful for the way things are now.

This is the same thing I've been telling people. The PairWise will tell us who is in, and who is out. How many years in a row now has USCHO got the top 16 right on Sunday morning before the committee announces the bracket? Because we have the Pairwise, the "smoke filled" rooms of the past are now gone. In the past, those committees would have found a way to get MN in as they are a host school, simply doesn't happen anymore, that is why I'm thankful for the way things are now.

I think the "smoke-filled room" has been replaced by a Starbucks with wi-fi so the committee can log on to USCHO.com and see who's in! :lol:

If the gophers beat UMD they are in the NCAAs. Very few scenarios are possible that would prevent it from happening. Likewise, Duluth must win to have a chance. In fact, even if the bulldogs win the play in game, the gophers could still make the tournament. If Duluth loses, they're done. Also, I feel that with 3 centers out for DU, it will be tough for them to beat the badgers who are playing well right now. Also, it's entirely possible that we could go 1-1 in the tournament and still be a #1 seed with a couple DU losses. I expect a few upsets. It will be interesting to see how everything plays out.

Likewise, Duluth must win to have a chance. In fact, even if the bulldogs win the play in game, the gophers could still make the tournament. If Duluth loses, they're done.

Dogs and Gophs are in if this happens (Dogs loseThur.)

Hockey East Semifinal #2: Northeastern defeats Mass.-Lowell.

Hockey East Semifinal #1: Boston University defeats Boston College.

Hockey East Championship game: Boston University defeats Northeastern.

ECAC Semifinal #2: Cornell defeats Princeton.

ECAC Semifinal #1: Yale defeats St. Lawrence.

ECAC Championship game: Yale defeats Cornell.

ECAC Consolation game: Princeton defeats St. Lawrence.

Atlantic Hockey Semifinal #2: RIT defeats Mercyhurst.

Atlantic Hockey Semifinal #1: Air Force defeats Bentley.

Atlantic Hockey Championship game: Air Force defeats RIT.

CCHA Semifinal #2: Michigan defeats Alaska.

CCHA Semifinal #1: Notre Dame defeats Northern Michigan.

CCHA Championship game: Notre Dame defeats Michigan.

CCHA Consolation game: Alaska defeats Northern Michigan.

WCHA Play-in #1: Minnesota defeats Minnesota-Duluth.

WCHA Semifinal #2: Denver defeats Wisconsin.

WCHA Semifinal #1: North Dakota defeats Minnesota.

WCHA Championship game: North Dakota defeats Denver.

WCHA Consolation game: Minnesota defeats Wisconsin.

UMD and Minn are big Denver fans this weekend - its hard for Wisco to pass them unless they win Fri. The potential CCHA 3rd place game with NMU/Alaska is huge as well. It looks like OSU is out if Alaska wins, if NMU wins OSU jumps up, which hurts the UMD/UMinn.

There are a decent amount of scenarios with UW beating the Gophers in the Final that don't put the Gophers even in the field. Gophers need two wins and to hope for the best.

true, but "likely" scenarios? I also think that most likely they get in with a win over Duluth.

Eids was a few goals away from having an unbelievable season....not that it already wasn't.

He only had 1 shutout, but had 8 one goal games. Hopefully he can add to the shoutout list, oh, about 6 more times this season....then next year, add a few more than that. :glare:

true, but "likely" scenarios? I also think that most likely they get in with a win over Duluth.

Going 1-2 vs. 0-1 isn't much different for either the Gophers or UMD. Both would need lots of help to qualify.

I would agree that with two wins the Gophers qualifying is likely, but there are a lots of results with UW and BC winning their tourneys that the Gophers (and UMD) are out in the cold even with wins Thursday and Friday night.

The requirement seems to be Cornell and Princeton each getting a win. The favorites win in the CCHA.

I've never been a bigger BU fan if the Gophers win Thursday. I'm guessing some here would support that. :glare:

One example:

# Hockey East Semifinal #2: Northeastern defeats Mass.-Lowell.

# Hockey East Semifinal #1: Boston College defeats Boston University.

# Hockey East Championship game: Boston College defeats Northeastern.

# ECAC Semifinal #2: Cornell defeats Princeton.

# ECAC Semifinal #1: Yale defeats St. Lawrence.

# ECAC Championship game: Yale defeats Cornell.

# ECAC Consolation game: Princeton defeats St. Lawrence.

# Atlantic Hockey Semifinal #2: RIT defeats Mercyhurst.

# Atlantic Hockey Semifinal #1: Air Force defeats Bentley.

# Atlantic Hockey Championship game: RIT defeats Air Force.

# CCHA Semifinal #2: Michigan defeats Alaska.

# CCHA Semifinal #1: Notre Dame defeats Northern Michigan.

# CCHA Championship game: Notre Dame defeats Michigan.

# CCHA Consolation game: Alaska defeats Northern Michigan.

# WCHA Play-in #1: Minnesota defeats Minnesota-Duluth.

# WCHA Semifinal #2: Wisconsin defeats Denver.

# WCHA Semifinal #1: Minnesota defeats North Dakota.

# WCHA Championship game: Wisconsin defeats Minnesota.

# WCHA Consolation game: North Dakota defeats Denver.

Your willing to be subject to another BC beat down just to keep the harmless Gophers out of the tourney? :(

you are right, the gophers are harmless :D

noooooooooooooo, :glare: as long as we dont get BC in the frozen 4 we are fine, regionals? no problem :D