SiouxSports.com Forum

Do you believe?

yzerman19

In regards to the question on Jason Blake, he was a member of the team, but he was sitting out due to ineligibility since he transferred to UND after playing at Ferris State the previous year. So, to answer the question, "no, the 1997 Sioux did NOT have an All-American named Jason Blake on it."

The 1997 team picture right after the title game shows Mr. Jason Blake sitting right next to the trophy.

• Replies 77
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

didn't the 97 team have an all American by the name Jason Blake on it?

Yes, they had Jason Blake, but they also had Matt Henderson.

The more important question may be "who is going to be this team's 'Matt Henderson?'" I'm looking for someone to step up from under the radar so to speak for the playoffs. There are plenty of upper-classmen on this team that could fit that bill.

I will vouch for your early optimism.

Reading above it starts to remind me of 1997.

I think the team has a chance because they have solid goaltending and seem to have a fairly balanced offense. I worry if the defense is strong enough to shut down the opponents sufficiently. We could use LaPoint but such is life. Like Sagard says, anyone in the tourney has a chance and I think this team has the makeup to be a contender. I also agree they cannot be considered a favorite. Just a challenger. A team no one should want to face.

I also don't want to face MN in the tourney. Like yzerman19 said on another post, they owe us and one day that bill will come due. Just like we owe BC.

Me too, everyone penciled Michigan in as the champion and BU beat them.

This year the clowns from INCH said oh, lets just have BU and Notre Dame play 7

game for the NCAA title. UND is still flying under the radar, that is good.

Andrew Kozek put us in the F4 last year. I am looking at him to produce some big goals playing far down on the depth chart. Everyone knows he can shoot. Andrew is the difference maker IMO. He steps up, we will win some games that will surprise people.

The chink in our armor is not upfront or in net, it is on the blue line.

Andrew Kozek put us in the F4 last year. I am looking at him to produce some big goals playing far down on the depth chart. Everyone knows he can shoot. Andrew is the difference maker IMO. He steps up, we will win some games that will surprise people.

The chink in our armor is not upfront or in net, it is on the blue line.

ill start by saying every team in the nation has a chink in the armour and on this team there isnt a glaring one which is nice as other wcha coaches have said in postgame interviews. i agree so much on your kozek point in being a potential big time difference maker. i believe when kozek is at his very best is when he plays like a runaway freight train hitting people all over the ice which he does at times, i then think that sparks his offensive game into a more aggresive moad. hes has the best shot out there as many goalies can attest to but its the matter of getting the chances. im all abord the kozek wagon :whistling:

ill start by saying every team in the nation has a chink in the armour and on this team there isnt a glaring one which is nice as other wcha coaches have said in postgame interviews. i agree so much on your kozek point in being a potential big time difference maker. i believe when kozek is at his very best is when he plays like a runaway freight train hitting people all over the ice which he does at times, i then think that sparks his offensive game into a more aggresive moad. hes has the best shot out there as many goalies can attest to but its the matter of getting the chances. im all abord the kozek wagon :whistling:

my only concern is the pp, as the last month it has looked for lack of a better term god awful at times.

Yes, they had Jason Blake, but they also had Matt Henderson.

The more important question may be "who is going to be this team's 'Matt Henderson?'" I'm looking for someone to step up from under the radar so to speak for the playoffs. There are plenty of upper-classmen on this team that could fit that bill.

Matens

All four BU lines can score. So can all 3 defensive pairings. Basically everyone but Gryba and Strait can score.

Michigan this year I don't think is as good as last year, but getting Mitera and Kampfer back definitely helped and they've looked really good in the games I've seen them play since Feb. Palushaj is great and so is David Wohlberg.

Is it definitive that Bozak will be coming back? I think a lot of Denver's success will hinge on that.

To be completely honest, BU is the only team in the nation that scares me. 31-9 is right, BU can score on three lines and all their D. Colin Wilson is a force....Not many players in the nation that can play with him one on one based on his size and skill. They are a dangerous team this year, but saying that, I'd love to play them. They have a defense who is agressive and jump into plays and aren't too disciplined. We can take advantage of that.

Michigan is not the team they had last year that could have easily won the national title.

DU will need more than Bozak to shore up their shortcomings. Plus, Bozak has been out for 3/4 of the year, who knows how he's gonna preform? He's a great player but he's not the team.

One team I wouldn't overlook whatsoever is CC. I was so impressed with them two weeks ago. Their speed up and down the line up (Sweat, Walsky, and even Rau) make them a real threat if they find a way to make it into the tournament. We all know Bachman has the skills to lead a team like this and with a ligitimate scorer like Chad Rau, this team can be scary.

With that, I have all the faith in the world that this Sioux team can win it all. We have a lot of character in our locker room and a lot of guys who have a big time drive to succeed. How ever the rest of the season goes, it sure has been fun.

I wondered if anybody would mention '97. This team Reminds me of them in some ways. Michigan was heavily favored then as BU is now, and I don't think very many saw the Sioux winning it. A lot of very good hockey players but not a superstar among them.

I really like this team, but it would take some real breaks to win it all. It will be real interesting to see how they fare in game 2 of the regionals, if they make it that far.

I was at the 97 frozen four and the feeling all day wed and thurs through our game was that Michigan was going to cruise to a title and then low and behold BU beats them and the feeling around the Bradley Center went to WOW, we can actually win this thing. A few of the players after the title game that year said they didn't think they would be able to beat Michigan and were glad they didn't have to face them.

To be completely honest, BU is the only team in the nation that scares me. 31-9 is right, BU can score on three lines and all their D. Colin Wilson is a force....Not many players in the nation that can play with him one on one based on his size and skill. They are a dangerous team this year, but saying that, I'd love to play them. They have a defense who is agressive and jump into plays and aren't too disciplined. We can take advantage of that.

Michigan is not the team they had last year that could have easily won the national title.

DU will need more than Bozek to shore up their shortcomings. Plus, Bozek has been out for 3/4 of the year, who knows how he's gonna preform? He's a great player but he's not the team.

One team I wouldn't overlook whatsoever is CC. I was so impressed with them two weeks ago. Their speed up and down the line up (Sweat, Walsky, and even Rau) make them a real threat if they find a way to make it into the tournament. We all know Bachman has the skills to lead a team like this and with a ligitimate scorer like Chad Rau, this team can be scary.

With that, I have all the faith in the world that this Sioux team can win it all. We have a lot of character in our locker room and a lot of guys who have a big time drive to succeed. How ever the rest of the season goes, it sure has been fun.

here would be a fun scenario. Michigan ends up the 3 seed, the goophs end up the fourteen seed and we end up the 6 seed all placed together in the west regional four the third time in 4 years. Imagine Red's expression at the announcement of that bracket. :whistling:

All four BU lines can score. So can all 3 defensive pairings. Basically everyone but Gryba and Strait can score.

Michigan this year I don't think is as good as last year, but getting Mitera and Kampfer back definitely helped and they've looked really good in the games I've seen them play since Feb. Palushaj is great and so is David Wohlberg.

Is it definitive that Bozak will be coming back? I think a lot of Denver's success will hinge on that.

Bozak supposedly will be returning at the Final Five if DU makes it there.

my only concern is the pp, as the last month it has looked for lack of a better term god awful at times.

yes lets hope that improves and if it does we can put teams away earlier. i bet hak has that pp working hard this week!

here would be a fun scenario. Michigan ends up the 3 seed, the goophs end up the fourteen seed and we end up the 6 seed all placed together in the west regional four the third time in 4 years. Imagine Red's expression at the announcement of that bracket. :blush:

He'll need CPR as he will have a heart attack haha :whistling:

DU will need more than Bozek to shore up their shortcomings. Plus, Bozek has been out for 3/4 of the year, who knows how he's gonna preform? He's a great player but he's not the team.

I would agree with everything except the analysis of the BU D core. They are not undisciplined. Last year they were and combined with the awful goaltending was their downfall. Their D has stepped up the defensive play this year. I would say the most vital part of BU's defense is the down low play of the forwards. Parker makes all of his forwards play defense and it's their aggressive back checking which is sometimes undisciplined not the D men; they take penalties more often than the D corps.

I don't know many who would agree with me, but I would take Michigan over Notre Dame right now. I feel like if you get Notre Dame down two goals, they won't come back to beat you, at least against the better teams in the country. If you let them play their style and control the game yeah you're going to have problems, but if you jump out early I don't think their style of play is conducive to turning up the heat for an offensive outburst to get themselves back in the game. Michigan has the offense to do that.

I believe the Sioux can go far, but I also believe they can be one and done. While the Sioux can be deep, they are also somewhat banged up right now and cannot afford to lose any more players to injury. They also need to be firing on all cylinders to succeed.

In terms of balance there are only 3 teams out there with more 20 point players than the Sioux, ND, BU, and DU. Michigan's scoring is in a relatively few players so they should be easier to shut down if you have a good solid shut down line. ND has been playing most of the last part of the season without Ryan Thang. He is a big player for them and will help when he is back. The same with Tyler Bozak and DU. That is assuming they make it back before the end of the season.

The Sioux have shown the ability to score big time against top notch goalies. They have also shown that they can be susceptible on the PP and shut down by a goalie. I believe that the Sioux will be successful against teams that can't roll four solid lines and have solid goaltending.

It is difficult to predict. It is my belief that One thing is for certain and It has been certain 4 years in a row now. Our style of play is not good enough for National Champions. You can not win it all by dumping the puck into the corners and trying to make plays afterwards. BC won by circling the puck. MN won it by circling the puck. DU and WI won it with Goaltending.

Michigan ST won it with Goaltending as well. Last year our style of hockey rode Lami to the Frozen 4, where he chocked and we could not keep up with BC. I addition, some of the guys that anchor our best lines can be shot down fairly easily. Duncan in the Frozen Four was shut down, Vande Velde, which by the way reminds me a lot of Bochenski, can easily disappear. Finley, has shown a tendency to over chase smaller forwards, requiring the need of another Sioux defender. Not good when you look at the smaller forwards on some of those teams.

In all, UND has a good team, a talented team, I just don't think we circle the puck enough. It doesn't mean we do not know how to do it, we just don't. When you look at the games where UND has dominated, they have circled the puck nicely.

One of my theories with Hask Teams, is that early in the season, when everyone has fresh legs, our "puck dump" style does not work well. Other teams match us body against body. AS the season wears, we are actually better conditioned, and as a result, our style of play works for a while. We have our second half runs. The problem though is that by Frozen Four time, we are also tired and the puck-circling style of others trumps our puck-dump style. My belief is that until UND becomes a puck circling team, we will continue to be overmatched in the Frozen four.

Who knows though, maybe we can ride Eidsness to the championship.