SiouxSports.com Forum

SIOUX @ BADgers

AZSIOUX

Back to my original point - the Sr. 1st round draft pick needs to be our best D if we want to play games in April. That hasn't been the case lately. In fact, I think his best weekend was v. UMTC in Jan.

He needs to be more physical, take care of the puck and make better decisions, especially when he knows his partner's role is to push the puck and take some chances on offense.

He needs to play his best hockey as a Sioux starting now.

Back to my original point - More goals given up on that D-line are mistakes because of Chay, not Joe. It's not always because Chay is playing offensive either. There was one CC goal this weekend that Chay was way out of position on D, chasing something he had no business chasing. Re-watch the majority of the games....if you even have that opportunity. Like you said, Joe should be playing some of his best hockey....but I don't think he's too far off from that. Yeah, he made one mistake on Saturday that led to a goal. Look how many other players on every team make a mistake that leads to a goal. Every player on every team has done it. We gave up 7 goals this weekend. Joe was even for Saturday, with that one goal given up. If Brad makes the save, which wasn't a hard save, no one is even talking about it. Sunday he was even as well... and IIRC not on the ice for any CC goals.

Joe has been solid and actually has been pretty good with the puck since a couple games after returning from his concussion.

I think you're way off-base with this whole Joe needs to pick it up mentality.

• Replies 190
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

sure was and it was a team effort as well to get beat that badly :lol:

Yeah good point I told my buddy the other night after central got scored on, that hockey is a team game, the forwards forgot to get the puck out the zone, the defenseman let his man go and the goalie failed to stop the puck. :angry:

Back to my original point - More goals given up on that D-line are mistakes because of Chay, not Joe. It's not always because Chay is playing offensive either. There was one CC goal this weekend that Chay was way out of position on D, chasing something he had no business chasing. Re-watch the majority of the games....if you even have that opportunity. Like you said, Joe should be playing some of his best hockey....but I don't think he's too far off from that. Yeah, he made one mistake on Saturday that led to a goal. Look how many other players on every team make a mistake that leads to a goal. Every player on every team has done it. We gave up 7 goals this weekend. Joe was even for Saturday, with that one goal given up. If Brad makes the save, which wasn't a hard save, no one is even talking about it. Sunday he was even as well... and IIRC not on the ice for any CC goals.

Joe has been solid and actually has been pretty good with the puck since a couple games after returning from his concussion.

I think you're way off-base with this whole Joe needs to pick it up mentality.

Do you think he was our best D vs. CC?

i dont think that matters. its a team game and when a player fks up others sometimes need to help out. sometimes they do and sometimes they dont. nobodys perfect and we all know that. not genoway or joe. this team especially has NO holes as scott owens said. i think joe has been damn good since coming back when there were indications he may not ever lace them up again for the sioux and maybe after that. genoway has his own style and big joe does. i like they way they play together. lets hope the team D keeps it up as they haven thad many hic ups since the new year. if they do and the boucnes go our way it could be a 5th straight trip to the f4

sure was and it was a team effort as well to get beat that badly :lol:

Well, the guys started out flying. They hit a post, got some nice shot opportunities, just didn't connect.

Then...the first goal. We are holding the zone nicely, Joe makes a cross-ice pass at the point to Genoway, who decides to one-time it right by the blue line with a guy clearly in front of him. It wasn't a play where he had a clear shot and he knew that. Shot gets blocked and Joe hustles back to save Genoway's mistake. Joe actually makes a really good play to come all the way across the rink against a speedster and played the puck nicely. He just got unlucky and the puck got through to Orpik who one-times it. Most people would blame Joe for this, but if Genoway doesn't force an unncessary shot, this play doesn't happen.

Second goal, a mis-played puck by Genoway and Miller leads to a Gerbe breakaway. Joe had no chance trying to catch up to Gerbe. I don't think anyone on the team could have stopped Gerbe.

Third goal, neither involved. Back breaker of a goal though.

Fourth goal...turnover behind the net by Genoway (by himself) leads to an easy pass up the slot in front of JPL for a one-timer that goes in.

These are the kinds of things that have happened this season. Most of the time Genoway gets away with it because of his speed, but against a fast team like CC or BC, he can...and will...get burned. Joe is left hanging. I'll say it again. Genoway is awesome with the puck, and makes awesome plays. He can do things no one else can in the NCAA, in my opinion. He's fast, and skilled, and for the most part he's responsible when in our own zone. But this offense-first mentality has bit him in the butt and Joe takes the blame for it.

I'm not trying to bash Genoway, I'm just trying to defend Finley, who takes way too much unnecessary blame.

It's not a question of whether the player played his position, much less whether he played it better than a teammate. The question is whether he played his role. I think Joe has played his very well. The layoff hurt him, but he can interrupt the flow along the boards and behind the net in ways that look unspectacular but are critical to this team. There were times earlier this year when our D simply could not gain control along the boards in order to start the transition. That has improved, and Joe has played a big part in it, IMO.

It's hard to say because no one stood out as being amazing on defense. Marto has been great lately, so I would have to say him, especially as a +2 on the weekend. Besides Joe's turnover behind the net on Saturday, he was sound all weekend I thought. He had a few nice hits and stuffed up the middle, like he should. Joe makes great outlet and two-line passes since he's came back. Chad Rau is a beast with the puck, so it's not surprising he made a play like that on Joe. Chad has put up at least 30 points each season he's been here. That's pretty good in WCHA hockey.

I'm not trying to bash Genoway, I'm just trying to defend Finley, who takes way too much unnecessary blame.

I have scratched my head since big Joe Finely came to UND why people mean mouth big Joe Finely. Personally I think he has

been our most steady defender. You go over to Brad's Blog and read comments about Joe that are vile and lack class. I would love to

set up a meeting between these brave anonymous folks and big Joe. I doubt these anonymous skippys would say these things to his face.

When Joe leaves UND after the season his presence will be missed. Everyone assumes that since he is 6'7" and 250 he has to smash people thought he boards and expects him to run around all over the ice and hit every one when that isn't his game. Joe doesn't have to do that to be successful.

I can remember big Joe getting a penalty from Shegos for putting a legal hit on an opposition player. So your damned if you do and damned if you don't

I agree with Goon.

I know we are used to big, mean, physical defensemen tearing people up, but I also know that they aren't worth a damn if they're continuously going to the box for their big hits.

Remember this: Wasn't Commodore in the dog house for much of his freshman year because of this?

Greene, at one point, was told that if he got another penalty, he'd sit the rest of the game. IIRC it was in Mankato. He got the penalty, skated to the lockerroom and intended to stay there. The official made him sit the penalty, to which he returned to the bench and stayed there until intermission. I don't recall what period that was in or if he played the rest of the game.

Smaby got bashed here on occasion for untimely penalties too. At one point, posters called for him to be benched. Actually, I think Greene was also being called for benching at one point or another.

So, when they left college, what happens? Posters, many of them the ones calling them out, pine for another just like them. Really. Looks like Finley did just fine.

its funny if a fan on ss has a problem with a player thats so wrong. i guess i just dont get what the big deal is. if it gets personal then thats a big problem to me and there isnt a place for that but to critisize a players play here and there big deal. we can all sit and pat every player and coach on the back whe they win win win and it should be no different when a player screws up or has a bad game or stretch. they should be called out at this level especially. im not even referring to finley at all as i thought he had a solid weekend but just in general.

end of my rant

:lol: go sioux, kick buckys azz

a bit different topic - i know last weekend hak praise blood and jones big time. how has he looked to the fans that got to see the games in person. i really think he and fienhage will be big time d men for the sioux. fienhage ran into a numbers game with fins getting hurt and miller suprising everyone but from what ive heard it was tough at first as it would be on anyone in that spot but has really been a heck of a teammate. i look for big things from this tandom

Maybe I missed this getting posted, but let us not forget our record before Joe came back and how much better we've been since he's been back. Granted our O has gotten better, but I would like to think that Joe has freed up people to be more offensive.

Maybe I missed this getting posted, but let us not forget our record before Joe came back and how much better we've been since he's been back. Granted our O has gotten better, but I would like to think that Joe has freed up people to be more offensive.

for sure and its a been a combo of things like you said but joe beaing back has been huge!

its funny if a fan on ss has a problem with a player thats so wrong. i geuess i just dont get what the big deal is. if it gets personal then thats a big problem to me and there isnt a place for that but to critisze a players play here and there big deal. we can all sit and pat every player and coach on the back whe they win win win and it should be no different when a player screws up or has a bad game or stretch. they should be called out at this level especially. im not even referring to finley at all as i thought he had a solid weekend but just in general.

end of my rant

:lol: go sioux, kick buckys azz

I completely agree with this.

However, Joe isn't one of the players that should be criticized right now. I feel the need to defend him. In fact, I can't think of a person who has played poorly on a consistent basis lately. Everyone has done their part and that's why we are playing a high level of hockey. I'm not blaming whomever for being hard on a player. But for someone to say something about someone who hasn't played at a level that deserves criticizing is when I'll say something back.

I completely agree with this.

However, Joe isn't one of the players that should be criticized right now. I feel the need to defend him. In fact, I can't think of a person who has played poorly on a consistent basis lately.

I am with you.

i know last weekend hak praise blood and jones big time. how has he looked to the fans that got to see the games in person. i really think he and fienhage will be big time d men for the sioux.

We haven't seen Cory play much but he looked like a freshman but from what I hear he is going to be a monster and has a bit of an edge.

Blood looked good since he has been in the line up. Jones looked real good. I think all of the defenders have played pretty good.

I think we will see Hak reel them in a bit because it is becoming crunch time.

I like what little I've seen of Blood; he made some little errors Saturday, mostly in trying to control the puck and get it out of the zone, but he looked like he knew he made the mistake immediately and looked for help. When a kid like that knows he's in trouble and looks to his d-mate, I figure more than half the battle is won.

a bit different topic - i know last weekend hak praise blood and jones big time. how has he looked to the fans that got to see the games in person. i really think he and fienhage will be big time d men for the sioux. fienhage ran into a numbers game with fins getting hurt and miller suprising everyone but from what ive heard it was tough at first as it would be on anyone in that spot but has really been a heck of a teammate. i look for big things from this tandom

Blood is doing fine. It is to the point where you don't notice when he is out on the ice. That is a good thing. He made some nice outlet passes against CC. As Hakstol said after Lapoint got hurt, the game has slowed down for Blood. Fienhage I would be worried about if he had to fill in. I don't believe that the college game has slowed down for him yet. He whiffs on the puck quite a bit and is uncertain what to do with it. It will come, but he isn't ready yet. It is unfortunate he wasn't able to get more playing time this year, but now is not the time for that to happen. He will get it next year.

Does anyone know if the Kohl Center has any restrictions on cameras or the size of lens that can be brought in? I just want to know if I need to wear my smuggling clothes this weekend or not.

Don't know about restrictions on cameras. But...I DID find out last year that you can't make "facial gestures" to a Badger fan.

According to the lady who was "guarding" the stairs, anyway.

:lol:

Don't know about restrictions on cameras. But...I DID find out last year that you can't make "facial gestures" to a Badger fan.

According to the lady who was "guarding" the stairs, anyway.

:angry:

I made hand gestures with a big smile on my face to a Badger fan who was ragging on me the whole game after we scored the OT goal. No such lady in my section. :lol:

in response to the both of you, like i said, it comes with the territory. i don't like odd man rushes either, but that is why joe and chay are d partners. joe knows chay will rush the puck a few times a game, and an odd man rush may happen, he knows his role. also, chay's winger should be dropping back to help out when he does make a rush. im not trying to disagree with everything you say, but i feel that chay's positives VASTLY outweigh his shortcomings. this team isn't even close to the same team when he is not on the ice.

No question about that! Although in the playoffs Chay needs to play a little tighter. He was horrible last year in the loss to BC... That being said Chay is a great player and when he picks his spots I think he is the best offensive d-man in the WCHA.