SiouxSports.com Forum

NDSU's President, Chapman, gets a bodyguard

jimdahl

I was a little uncomfortable when I read the headline, but less so after reading the whole thing. It sounds like less than 25% of this guy's duties will be guarding Chapman & guests. The bulk of his duties will be acting as a liaison between the campus and city police departments and the president. With the increasing size of the university and the addition of the downtown campus, I can see where a security presence is needed in Old Main; not for protection, but for communication. If that individual happens to be trained and licensed to carry, it makes sense to also use him in those cases where light security might be needed. Most home football games see Hoeven sitting next to Chapman, and Chapman is normally mingling among business, city, and state leaders when he attends basketball games. Why not have a single security guy close by just in case? Of course, the guy chosen could stand to lose a pound or twenty and could also use a new wardrobe.

I don't know where the UND campus police department is located in relation to administration, but at NDSU, they are quite far apart. Maybe UND doesn't need this sort of position yet, but if the downtown campus that Kelley is talking about comes to pass, they may need to reevaluate. After Virgina Tech, things like this are a small price to pay for the ability to react quickly, correctly and effectively in a crisis.

I was a little uncomfortable when I read the headline, but less so after reading the whole thing. It sounds like less than 25% of this guy's duties will be guarding Chapman & guests. The bulk of his duties will be acting as a liaison between the campus and city police departments and the president. With the increasing size of the university and the addition of the downtown campus, I can see where a security presence is needed in Old Main; not for protection, but for communication. If that individual happens to be trained and licensed to carry, it makes sense to also use him in those cases where light security might be needed. Most home football games see Hoeven sitting next to Chapman, and Chapman is normally mingling among business, city, and state leaders when he attends basketball games. Why not have a single security guy close by just in case? Of course, the guy chosen could stand to lose a pound or twenty and could also use a new wardrobe.

I don't know where the UND campus police department is located in relation to administration, but at NDSU, they are quite far apart. Maybe UND doesn't need this sort of position yet, but if the downtown campus that Kelley is talking about comes to pass, they may need to reevaluate. After Virgina Tech, things like this are a small price to pay for the ability to react quickly, correctly and effectively in a crisis.

Is this the norm though at colleges and universities to have a police/body guard for the university presidents? I haven't heard of it till now.

Makes sense. I assume their job is to keep those big ears from getting frostbite when its so damn cold. He maybe should have two bodyguards, one for each ear. That is more of a danger to this guy than someone attacking him. What a putz! The only thing in danger of being attacked is this guys enormous ego.

the PD is about 3 or 4 blocks from Twamley where the President's Office is and about 1 and a half - 2 blocks from the President's house at UND.

With the increasing size of the university and the addition of the downtown campus, I can see where a security presence is needed in Old Main; not for protection, but for communication. If that individual happens to be trained and licensed to carry, it makes sense to also use him in those cases where light security might be needed.

This makes no sense. When did security become part of communications? As a general precaution, it makes sense to have a security presence in the main administrative building, it may make sense to have security patrol in the President's neighborhood, it may make sense to have additional security at sporting events, but really, for communications?

This makes no sense. When did security become part of communications? As a general precaution, it makes sense to have a security presence in the main administrative building, it may make sense to have security patrol in the President's neighborhood, it may make sense to have additional security at sporting events, but really, for communications?

I see that you have never worked security.

I was a little uncomfortable when I read the headline, but less so after reading the whole thing.

Yep, I just used the inflammatory headline from the Forum to cause trouble. When you read the text, it's actually reasonable. However, the exaggerated version plays so well into some Chapman stereotypes that it's an irresistible opportunity for humor. :silly:

I see that you have never worked security.

The primary job of security is not communications. If it is, then our country is is grave danger. Can you think of the security personnel not being at a bank because they are off being a gopher? Right, proper use of the position! There is a need for better communications in almost every job but if you're hiring a security person to strictly be a gopher, then you are wasting that person's talents and the company's money. Does that mean that people in this position can't be used for other functions? No but again that is not their primary function and it shouldn't be.

McFooley's Take

A bodyguard for Chapman?

There is little wonder why NDSU and its leader are viewed as just slightly self-important by many around the state of North Dakota (and even here in the cities of Fargo-Moorhead). A bodyguard for the president of the school, Joe Chapman? It’s one thing if there have been specific threats against the man, but an occasional angry student hardly qualifies as a serious security threat.

If being a “lightning rod” and having to deal with disgruntled people once in awhile are reasons for a bodyguard, why doesn’t Nick Mertens have one? Nick gets verbally abused by 19,000 people for three hours on Saturday afternoons – and he isn’t making $350,000 and won’t soon be living in a free million-dollar home for his troubles.

Joe's been kicking ass for the past 5 years, I think a bodyguard is in order. :D

And running SU into the red at the same time. That's why he is constantly at the legislature with his tin cup asking for spare change!

About face!

North Dakota State President Joseph Chapman calls for second look at security position

North Dakota State University President Joseph Chapman on Friday directed the head of campus safety to assess the position that’s been regarded as Chapman’s “bodyguard.”

Chapman, who since this fall has had an armed NDSU police captain occasionally accompany him to games and other high-profile events, wrote a letter Friday after the position came under scrutiny.

“There is a misperception that this position was created to provide the NDSU president with a bodyguard, and so I am directing you to assess the position,” Chapman wrote to Ray Boyer, director of University Police and Safety.

Oops. The public wasn't supposed to know this. :glare:

• 2 weeks later...