SiouxSports.com Forum

Michigan/MSU cheapshot

jk

The Sioux are accused of being involved in so many things, I thought this was worthy of discussion here. Here's Ciskie's summary of it:

http://nhl.fanhouse.com/2009/01/25/blatant...an-hockey-game/

Basically, the MSU players were POd about a legal hit, and brutally cheap-shotted the guy in retaliation. Compare this to the Zach Jones incident of a few weeks ago. There, the "classless" Jones was upset about a cheapshot on a teammate, so he wanted to fight the offender, in a straight-up fight, in retaliation.

I hope Sioux fans don't apologize for what Jones did, because he did it right, regardless of what others might label it. I also hope the Sioux continue to recruit guys who respect the game and their opponents and play hard the right way.

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Lots of cheap shots this year in college hockey.

BC's goon Petrecki got a game DQ for head butting a Maine player this afternoon. I think that's his second DQ this season.

I also heard the injured Michigan player's father tried to go after the MSU players in their locker room.

Lots of cheap shots this year in college hockey.

BC's goon Petrecki got a game DQ for head butting a Maine player this afternoon. I think that's his second DQ this season.

I also heard the injured Michigan player's father tried to go after the MSU players in their locker room.

:glare: god............thats crazy. what a bad incident as well but thats overboard again by a hockey parent in my eyes

petrecki should be getting 2 or 3 games off then shouldnt he?

According to WCH, Comley says that the league was unfairly going after Conboy. Uh...

Then he lectures Michigan during the post game conference about class after some Michigan players apparently swore at him.

Frankly, I'm impressed Michigan players even went over to shake his hand.

But one thing is for certain: if Adam were on the ice, Conboy would have gotten 2 for boarding and Tropp wouldn't have gone to the box at all. he would simply have ignored the two hander.

On the other hand, Conboy wasn't ejected.....

According to WCH, Comley says that the league was unfairly going after Conboy. Uh...

Then he lectures Michigan during the post game conference about class after some Michigan players apparently swore at him.

Frankly, I'm impressed Michigan players even went over to shake his hand.

But one thing is for certain: if Adam were on the ice, Conboy would have gotten 2 for boarding and Tropp wouldn't have gone to the box at all. he would simply have ignored the two hander.

On the other hand, Conboy wasn't ejected.....

And he would have negated the boarding call with a weak holding call behind the net as soon as he could.

Unacceptable.

If I had the power, I'd suspend operations of the Michigan State mens hockey program until the day fall practice is allowed to commence per NCAA guidelines. By "suspend operations" I mean no games, no practices, no recruiting, no contact between Comley and his staff and the existing team. Think: SMU Football death penalty type sanctions.

I'm The Sicatoka, I'm running for conference commissioner, and I approve this message.

(Before you start ripping on me, ask yourself, how far from a potential homocide charge were those two MSU players.)

The Sioux are accused of being involved in so many things, I thought this was worthy of discussion here. Here's Ciskie's summary of it:

http://nhl.fanhouse.com/2009/01/25/blatant...an-hockey-game/

Basically, the MSU players were POd about a legal hit, and brutally cheap-shotted the guy in retaliation. Compare this to the Zach Jones incident of a few weeks ago. There, the "classless" Jones was upset about a cheapshot on a teammate, so he wanted to fight the offender, in a straight-up fight, in retaliation.

I hope Sioux fans don't apologize for what Jones did, because he did it right, regardless of what others might label it. I also hope the Sioux continue to recruit guys who respect the game and their opponents and play hard the right way.

Hey jk, did their coach tell them to go out and do it too?

Couldn't help myself.

There isn't a very good shot of exactly what happened before the Michigan player went down. Regardless, what disgusts me is the opinion of the author in that this kind of stuff wouldn't happen if college hockey allowed fighting. It's the old "two wrongs make it right" analogy, which is just childish to put it mildly. To suggest that players should be expected to "police themselves" is absurd. If that were the case there would be no need for refs. There is no place in college hockey for fighting, or anywhere else in society period but that's another topic for another thread.

Oh boy... here we go... :glare:

There isn't a very good shot of exactly what happened before the Michigan player went down. Regardless, what disgusts me is the opinion of the author in that this kind of stuff wouldn't happen if college hockey allowed fighting. It's the old "two wrongs make it right" analogy, which is just childish to put it mildly. To suggest that players should be expected to "police themselves" is absurd. If that were the case there would be no need for refs. There is no place in college hockey for fighting, or anywhere else in society period but that's another topic for another thread.

another topic for another thread, which you just started. its the same old tired song and dance with you. we get that you think fighting is barbaric, and has no place anywhere in society. the author's point was that facing someone face to face and squaring off when both parties know what is going to happen is much better than the blindsides and cheapshots that have been going on. i believe someone earlier gave you a link to the "honor code" book reguarding fighting in hockey, get it. the fact is when the chance of retaliation is minimal (fighting) and we have players who don't respect the game or the players, crap like this will happen. fighting wouldn't eliminate the cheapshots and yes, injuries can happen in a fight, but at least someone like these msu players could be taught some honor without another cheapshot.

Got the link, quickly disregarded it as the nonsense that it is. Fighting shows a lack of respect for the game. Players who wish to conduct themselves that way may as well trade in their hockey gloves for boxing gloves, end of conversation.

Does that include trying to start a fight with the coach of a KIDS hockey team because you thought they scored too many goals?

Here's today's article from the Ann Arbor News regarding the cheapshot:

http://www.mlive.com/wolverines/other/inde...er_steve_k.html

There was an "unnamed man of 48 years of age" from Jackson who entered the MSU locker room and started a physical confrontation (Kampfer is from Jackson).

Also, Comley told Berenson that, "He'd deal with his players..." regarding the incident. I've always known Comley as a class act so I just can't believe he would or does condone BS like that.

Very rarely disagree with the K man, but this time he's utterly wrong about fighting...two words for ya...JIM ARCHIBALD...End of discussion!

BobIwabuchiFan

Got the link, quickly disregarded it as the nonsense that it is. Fighting shows a lack of respect for the game. Players who wish to conduct themselves that way may as well trade in their hockey gloves for boxing gloves, end of conversation.

According to the Detroit Free press all players from Michigan State involved have been suspended for the remainder of the season.

http://www.freep.com/article/20090126/SPOR...+rest+of+season

Weird. You mean they found a rule to suspend a player for a long time for intentionally injuring another player.

So why was Goeff Paukovich not suspended for the rest of the season.

In fact if I remember right, the author of the linked article didn't think that there was a mechanism to suspend a player for longer than one game.

Funny how times change.

But anyway, I'm glad that at least the CCHA cares about the health of their players and the integrity of the game.

Correction, it was the Michigan State hockey program that suspended them, so good for them.

Conboy is going. "Aw man! Tropp did the worst damage and even Paukovich only got a 1 game league and a 1 game institutional suspension for a total of 2 games! And he really DID nearly end the career, if not the life, of a hockey player! What a rip off!"

Overall, I hate to trivialize a cheap shot in light of two being committed in the same few seconds on the same player but... I think Conboy's suspension was right on.

I can't for the life of me understand why Tropp is still even on the team. His slash didn't get him kicked off the team but AJ Thelen's attitude did. Ryan Turek must be going "WTF!" Trust me, a bad attitude is far easier to handle (see TO in football) than a cheap hack like Tropp.

Pull the plug on Tropp, MSU.

I don't know, lots of people around here said that there will never be a Finley vs. Wheeler rematch because Wheeler would rot away in the AHL. :D

funny how wheeler is 3 times the player he was while playing for umTC now as a bruin, no wonder gretzky bailed on him as he played like a panzy ass nobody for 3 years while skimming through dinkytown :silly: he was a major junior player since day 1 and for some reason he chose to play at minny and get a degree i believe which was strange as he coasted as a gopher, he didnt give anything while there. if he showed a backbone and heart for minny he may have been signed after his 2nd year which nobody drafted in his range should ever spend more than 2 years in school.

yeah, wheeler has had a very solid start to his career. good for him, great for a former wcha player to see but what he said to finley that not many know will go down as a major scumbag move to me as long as he ever plays....ill leave it at that........GO SIOUX

worry about your boy kangas maybe not giving up 6-8 goals in a wcha game.....or that tissue soft ULTRA CHARMIN wipe D

Conboy is headed for a brilliant career in the ECHL.

hes the guy who knocked the F out of our recruit bruenteau as well last season with a concussion that sidelinded him for a few months but as bruenteau said that was his mistake