SiouxSports.com Forum

Positives from this weekend

Goon

Here are a few things that I thought were positive this weekend. UND beat the C.C. Tigers the first time the Tigers have been beaten this season.

Brad Eidsness let in one less goal that All American Goalie Richard Bachman, yet I hear fans talking about how bad he is.

UND scored more than two goals twice this weekend (2x). I am excited about the young players coming into their own. Hextal 2-1-3 on the weekend.

A split is nothing to sneeze at and I agree, not matter what the naysayers say...

Here are a few things that I thought were positive this weekend. UND beat the C.C. Tigers the first time the Tigers have been beaten this season.

Brad Eidsness let in one less goal that All American Goalie Richard Bachman, yet I hear fans talking about how bad he is.

UND scored more than two goals twice this weekend (2x). I am excited about the young players coming into their own. Hextal 2-1-3 on the weekend.

A split is nothing to sneeze at and I agree, not matter what the naysayers say...

This Sioux team is going to be good, barring injuries. We attended both CC games and the Sioux can skate. The top line of VV-Duncs-Hextall is going to need a name. CC could not handle them and they created outstanding opportunities. The question is going to be health especially at D. I look for this team to begin a strong surge in a few more weeks. And miller did fine at defense.

This Sioux team is going to be good, barring injuries. We attended both CC games and the Sioux can skate. The top line of VV-Duncs-Hextall is going to need a name. CC could not handle them and they created outstanding opportunities. The question is going to be health especially at D. I look for this team to begin a strong surge in a few more weeks. And miller did fine at defense.

HDV? Yeah the Sioux can fly this season. I can see good things happening to these guys.

HDV? Yeah the Sioux can fly this season. I can see good things happening to these guys.

Earlier in the week, I asked Duncan about his take on his linemates and why the combo works and one thing he said that stuck out was that they were creating a lot of opportunities, but needed to be better at finishing. I think they accomplished that this weekend. :(

any split out in the Springs is a good thing. In January of 1997 we had a freshman goalie in the nets and won the first game out there 3-0 and then got blasted in the second game 8-3, and that season turned out pretty well. I thought we moved the puck well all weekend. If and that's a big if we can get healthy fairly quick we might be in postion to be 4-6 games over .500 at x-mas. Putting 7 goals on arguably one of the best netminders inthe country should give us some confidence moving forward. BE is getting better each time I see him, keep in mind we scored two of CC's goals on Sat(one off our skate and the second was VV's fluke).

I'm having a hard time deciding how to feel about this team so far. We look great at times, but give up goals in bunches like no Sioux team I can remember. I think we have real potential this year if our goaltending settles down and our defense solidifies. I'm generally not a fan of the Hakstol season (floundering until Christmas). My worries include: finding a real scoring punch - our Sophomore and Junior classes have some good players, but no real blue-chippers (we need to pick up the recruiting), and season long goaltending (I've said it before, we mismanaged our goalie situation and are now stuck). Overall, I'm not real satisfied with a 3-5 record so far. This team can fly, but we need to learn how to finish. Hopefully we'll sweep this weekend and get a streak going. I'm ready to hang a banner this year.

I'm having a hard time deciding how to feel about this team so far. We look great at times, but give up goals in bunches like no Sioux team I can remember. I think we have real potential this year if our goaltending settles down and our defense solidifies. I'm generally not a fan of the Hakstol season (floundering until Christmas). My worries include: finding a real scoring punch - our Sophomore and Junior classes have some good players, but no real blue-chippers (we need to pick up the recruiting), and season long goaltending (I've said it before, we mismanaged our goalie situation and are now stuck). Overall, I'm not real satisfied with a 3-5 record so far. This team can fly, but we need to learn how to finish. Hopefully we'll sweep this weekend and get a streak going. I'm ready to hang a banner this year.

I think our d will figure itself out here with health and experience. goaltending is improving and will be much helped with the d improving in front of him.

i like the fact that we dropped 7 total goals on one of the nations best goalies and teams and saturday battled despite a M.A.S.H unit on defense including flying in a player last minute and having a true forward on the blueline. i like the fact toews got in the scoring column and gregoire continues to impress. i think we do have a goalie that has faced damn good teams already and will only get better and better with experience. lets kick the crap out of the sea puppies and add 4 points to the wcha standings

oh.....hextall as well.blood has some nice hits in cc.i really really like this freshman class and how they are playing

The Sioux have been so top-heavy on offense in recent years, that I have high hopes for a more balanced offense this year. There are a lot of guys on this team who can bring some real Ozone pressure. Eidsness has been pretty good, though one goal this weekend showed he doesn't have quite the glove speed JPL had. Miller does a great job at the blue line on the PP--never thought I'd hear myself saying that.

I still miss Sparky.

Obviously we all wish for a better start but I think we are seeing some improvement (we've seen some this weekend) that will progress as the season continues... hopefully not too late to make it count for the post season.

A question that I'm sure someone can educate me on (I know there have been posts on it in the past) but there aren't anymore Blais recruits left correct? How much of the team are Hakstol recruits? The reason I ask is because I think with the Hasktol recruits coming in the program, the true and full effect of the coach will be realized in the next few years. With that in mind... I think we will be seeing some great things.

I saw Friday but not Saturday. I was very impressed with the boys. I just watched the replay of the Hextall check from behind...what a garbage penalty. Hextall is driving to the net and wearing the CC player. I call that text book forward play. Very disappointing call, and from the posters it sounds like it was a momentum killer.

Anyway. a big time road performance at CC should do wonders for the confidence. The boys now have to realize that they can beat anyone in the country on any given night. The team I saw on friday night is not the same team I had seen previously.

A telling stat (i know...stats) is the fact that other than Genoway and Miller (the forward) the rest of the defensemen in entirety have 1 point (Finley with 1 assist). No points for Jones (expected), Marto, Lapoint, Blood, Fienhage; this despite tons of pp opportunities. THis must change for us to be successful.

Obviously we all wish for a better start but I think we are seeing some improvement (we've seen some this weekend) that will progress as the season continues... hopefully not too late to make it count for the post season.

A question that I'm sure someone can educate me on (I know there have been posts on it in the past) but there aren't anymore Blais recruits left correct? How much of the team are Hakstol recruits? The reason I ask is because I think with the Hasktol recruits coming in the program, the true and full effect of the coach will be realized in the next few years. With that in mind... I think we will be seeing some great things.

This team is all Haskstol if I am not mistaken. I think last season was the last of his boys... Maybe someone can correct me on that.

This team is all Haskstol if I am not mistaken. I think last season was the last of his boys... Maybe someone can correct me on that.

its all hak.....time to get a natty ;):( im sure blaiser recruited a few on the team now but they are haks guys....

how the hell didnt we win 1 or 3 nattys with zpar, zajac, greener, jones, stafford, spirko, jpar, lammy, osh, toews, chorney and all the role players.............

just ranting...til DC, we will get #8 :( been a long night................go sioux ;)

I saw Friday but not Saturday. I was very impressed with the boys. I just watched the replay of the Hextall check from behind...what a garbage penalty. Hextall is driving to the net and wearing the CC player. I call that text book forward play. Very disappointing call, and from the posters it sounds like it was a momentum killer.

Anyway. a big time road performance at CC should do wonders for the confidence. The boys now have to realize that they can beat anyone in the country on any given night. The team I saw on friday night is not the same team I had seen previously.

A telling stat (i know...stats) is the fact that other than Genoway and Miller (the forward) the rest of the defensemen in entirety have 1 point (Finley with 1 assist). No points for Jones (expected), Marto, Lapoint, Blood, Fienhage; this despite tons of pp opportunities. THis must change for us to be successful.

So what is it, is this team "flat out terrible" or not? I guess if they lose this weekend they revert back to that.

its not the W or L that determines my take, but the product I see on the ice. The team I saw at CC on Friday looked nothing like the team I saw play in Boston. I bet most of the team would say they were terrible in Boston.

You also said this is a team without talent. Do you stick by that, or does it change from week to week as well?

I can't believe that I'm compelled to defend my comments about the Sioux hockey team, but for some reason I am. If I ever said they were without talent, I was probably drunk and disappointed. I don't believe they have the eye popping talent of some of our other teams in recent history. I'll stand by that. Regardless, TNT, I find your desire to call me out on a positive post amusing. Do you have something constructive to add or are you going to continue to pull out various older posts? I had a few off the deep end ones two years ago after the Wheeler goal in the F 5.

I'm not saying this team doesn't have its issues, as it gets frustrating for most Sioux fans and coaches with early season struggles. I am simply trying to express that it's never nearly as bad as people would have you believe after losses, and not as great as others would have you believe after wins. It's probably somewhere in between. So yes, constructiveness is probably needed. Sorry if you came off as being the sole example. I don't remember other things said, so maybe everyone's frustrations get pushed to a point where they lash out, like mine evidently did as well.

What I am encouraged most about this season so far is the offensive output. We started out slow putting pucks in the net but after last weekend that has changed. After beating them on Friday, we came back and the CC goalie had 47 saves Saturday night. THAT was encouraging. We outplaying teams most of the time. The wins will come. These young defenseman will get better as the year goes on. All in all a great weekend for the Sioux.

What I am encouraged most about this season so far is the offensive output. We started out slow putting pucks in the net but after last weekend that has changed. After beating them on Friday, we came back and the CC goalie had 47 saves Saturday night. THAT was encouraging. We outplaying teams most of the time. The wins will come. These young defenseman will get better as the year goes on. All in all a great weekend for the Sioux.

This is the first team we've had in several years that gets up and down the ice and creates scoring opportunities. This is the style that carried us to national success in the late 90's and early 2000's and it is good to see it again. As for not having "eye popping" talent like Oshie and Toews, that is not all bad. We have a lot of 2nd, 3rd and 4th round NHL draft picks who will likely stick around longer than high 1st rounders will. This will also force our team to work together and have everyone contribute to the success of our team instead of sitting around and waiting for the Oshie's and Parise's of the world to win games for us. Eidesness has potential in goal and the young defense will come around by about Christmas time and be more consistent. I think this team has potential (barring more injuries) and I will enjoy watching them mature and improve as the season progresses.