SiouxSports.com Forum

Opponent's Game Scores

dakotadan

Most fans in general are clueless and UND has more than it's share. I actually think the bison have a lot of fans that are good natured and realistic. We just hear to much from the minority of Bison fans that are nuts (I can think of a couple of them) and it twists our perspective of them. I would say at least in relation to football, UND has more fair weather fans than NDSU. NDSU does have better overall fan support for football even if they struggle. I wonder what the UND stands would look like if Sioux football had a couple down years in a row?

While I agree with the majority of your post, I question what the NDSU fan support would be if things go bad. Granted, the evidence occurred when both were dII schools, but look back at the 2002 season, when both programs struggled. Both teams hosted season-ending games on November 16, 2002. UND drew 7328 vs. USD; and NDSU drew 6768 vs. SCSU. NDSU's second-to-last home game that year produced nearly identical attendance figures. I'm not claiming that's proof of anything in terms of right now, but certainly there's reason to believe that a lot of fans would jump off the NDSU bandwagon if things go bad. I suspect the same would happen if UND were to struggle similar to the 2002 season.

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Most fans in general are clueless and UND has more than it's share. I actually think the bison have a lot of fans that are good natured and realistic. We just hear to much from the minority of Bison fans that are nuts (I can think of a couple of them) and it twists our perspective of them. I would say at least in relation to football, UND has more fair weather fans than NDSU. NDSU does have better overall fan support for football even if they struggle. I wonder what the UND stands would look like if Sioux football had a couple down years in a row?

While I agree with the majority of your post, I question what the NDSU fan support would be if things go bad. Granted, the evidence occurred when both were dII schools, but look back at the 2002 season, when both programs struggled. Both teams hosted season-ending games on November 16, 2002. UND drew 7328 vs. USD; and NDSU drew 6768 vs. SCSU. NDSU's second-to-last home game that year produced nearly identical attendance figures. I'm not claiming that's proof of anything in terms of right now, but certainly there's reason to believe that a lot of fans would jump off the NDSU bandwagon if things go bad. I suspect the same would happen if UND were to struggle similar to the 2002 season.

Everybody loves a winner.

You are probably right, but I feel NDSU has a more hardcore fans in relation to football. UND has those fans as well, but most of them seem to focus on Hockey.

You are probably right, but I feel NDSU has a more hardcore fans in relation to football. UND has those fans as well, but most of them seem to focus on Hockey.

Hockey has and always will be the number 1 sport on campus. With football moving up, it has a great chance to become closer to hockey. I think you will continue to see football increase in popularity, and the gap between it and hockey will close in the next few years. Football will have more and more hardcore fans.

Bisoon lose 32-24 in Youngstown :D

Watched the 2nd half on TV as it was televised in Fargo. Bad QB play and the inability to stop the run makes any team, even if you are rated #2 in the nation, beatable every week. YSU isn't very good, but right now neither is NDSU. Those are both middle of the pack teams in the MVC unless they both improve in alot of areas.

Watched the 2nd half on TV as it was televised in Fargo. Bad QB play and the inability to stop the run makes any team, even if you are rated #2 in the nation, beatable every week. YSU isn't very good, but right now neither is NDSU. Those are both middle of the pack teams in the MVC unless they both improve in alot of areas.

I HATE to say this...but the Bison will be fine. The MV reminds me a LOT of the old NCC on steroids, back in the day when we had all the members and you were nervous as hell traveling to Morningside :D

Mertens isn't Walker - he's trying too hard right now - but he's not getting a lot of support other then Roehl. WHAT HAPPENED to 'su's vaunted "D"? They look like a bunch of arm-tackling girls right now...think Dale is looking at that tape right now? :D

SERIOUSLY - best of luck on the rest of the season!

Thinking back, I'm not so sure that hockey was #1 around 1993-94. That was around the time that our football team finally beat NDSU and went deep into the D2 playoffs while the hockey team was suffering through some down years at the end of the Gino Gasparini era. I think the football program may have actually surpassed hockey in GF for a short time prior to going back down to their proper place in the pecking order in 1997.

Now why would you say something as moronic as that? I love the hockey team as much as the next guy, but for crying out loud, what would be so wrong with the football team surpassing the hockey team. I don't think it would make one bit of difference, but to say that the football team has a "proper place in the pecking order" is wrong. If the football team someday is the premier program on campus it won't be a problem with me.

Now why would you say something as moronic as that? I love the hockey team as much as the next guy, but for crying out loud, what would be so wrong with the football team surpassing the hockey team. I don't think it would make one bit of difference, but to say that the football team has a "proper place in the pecking order" is wrong. If the football team someday is the premier program on campus it won't be a problem with me.

No offense meant, but I get a chuckle when I read comments about football taking a backseat to hockey...not because there's anything wrong with that in your part of the country, but I bet you could randomly ask 1000 people around here what icing is and 100% would tell you it's what goes on top of a cake...in my 30 years of living in Louisiana, I can't recall once ever seeing a hockey score or highlight on the local news, other than when the ECHL had a couple of teams in the area...and even then it was novelty and most people went for the fights.

SU does have a good hardcore fan base. But as posted here before when you break the numbers down the Grand Forks area supports the SIOUX as well as the Bison in Fargo per capita. NDSU is no different from any other school when you start losing games. The fair weather fans stay home.

Just for fun I looked at the fan forums for the 4 D1 colleges in the Dakotas for fan interest. I looked at number of members and number of posts. SIOUX Sports 4,000 members 344,309 posts. Bisonville 2,972 members 214,132 posts. SDSU 1,222 members 87,160 posts. USD 202 members 3,130 posts.

So UND does have alot of people who care about the SIOUX. I was on the UNI fan forum and someone posted they thought USD was a better football team than SDSU. I watched USD on TV Saturday afternoon and they look very good on offense. They may have the best QB in the Dakotas. And Danny Freund is very good. The SIOUX will have there hands full down there. But alot of football to be played before that game.

Don't misunderstand me, I was actually a Sioux football fan before I was a Sioux hockey fan. I'm just saying there's no question that hockey is the most popular sport in this part of the country. The only time football is going to be more popular than hockey at schools like North Dakota, Minnesota, Maine, New Hampshire, etc... is during an era when the football team is very good and the hockey team is going through some down years. I'm not saying that's right or wrong, I'm just saying that's how it is.

I think people objected to your use of the word "proper" as if it would somehow be "improper" if the football team became as big as the hockey team. In my opinion, there is no "proper" pecking order between UND football and hockey. This is not a zero sum game. Growing UND football does not have to mean waning support for hockey.

SU does have a good hardcore fan base. But as posted here before when you break the numbers down the Grand Forks area supports the SIOUX as well as the Bison in Fargo per capita. NDSU is no different from any other school when you start losing games. The fair weather fans stay home.

Just for fun I looked at the fan forums for the 4 D1 colleges in the Dakotas for fan interest. I looked at number of members and number of posts. SIOUX Sports 4,000 members 344,309 posts. Bisonville 2,972 members 214,132 posts. SDSU 1,222 members 87,160 posts. USD 202 members 3,130 posts.

So UND does have alot of people who care about the SIOUX. I was on the UNI fan forum and someone posted they thought USD was a better football team than SDSU. I watched USD on TV Saturday afternoon and they look very good on offense. They may have the best QB in the Dakotas. And Danny Freund is very good. The SIOUX will have there hands full down there. But alot of football to be played before that game.

A little shy of two years ago, I started keeping track of those kinds of numbers for fun. I'm not regular about it, and sometimes several months go by between my checks, but it is interesting to see the ebb and flow during the different sport seasons. On a yearly basis, SS is more active than BV, but the difference has shrunk greatly in the two years I've been watching. During hockey season, SS blows BV out of the water. Right now, it's about 4 to 1 the other direction. Over the summer, it's about even. There's no dispute that USD's online presence is poor(to put it kindly).

SE Louisiana played at Mississippi State and hosted the Sioux. Looking at the stats the Sioux fared well with Mississippi State. The Sioux gained 436 yards Mississippi State gained 401. Advantage Sioux. On defense advantage Mississippi State. They gave up 148 yards to the Siouxs 351. Fun times only to get better. To bad Danny Freund is a senior as he is the best QB in the Dakotas as UND92/96 previously posted.

SE Louisiana played at Mississippi State and hosted the Sioux. Looking at the stats the Sioux fared well with Mississippi State. The Sioux gained 436 yards Mississippi State gained 401. Advantage Sioux. On defense advantage Mississippi State. They gave up 148 yards to the Siouxs 351. Fun times only to get better. To bad Danny Freund is a senior as he is the best QB in the Dakotas as UND92/96 previously posted.

Perhaps Mississippi State wasn't trying too hard to rack up the yardage when they were ahead 34 to 3 in the 3rd quater. Meanwhile, the Sioux were playing catch up and got a lot of their yardage in the end of the 3rd and the 4th quarter.

Freund is probably the best QB in ND, but I hear the SDSU guy is pretty good. I haven't seen enough of either to make that statement, but apparently UND92/96 has.

Perhaps Mississippi State wasn't trying too hard to rack up the yardage when they were ahead 34 to 3 in the 3rd quater. Meanwhile, the Sioux were playing catch up and got a lot of their yardage in the end of the 3rd and the 4th quarter.

Freund is probably the best QB in ND, but I hear the SDSU guy is pretty good. I haven't seen enough of either to make that statement, but apparently UND92/96 has.

Actually, we defensed Mississippi State pretty well...they just had the ball forever and ran twice as many plays...we wore down in the second half with those 240 pound tailbacks pounding at us...had our starting QB played, I'm pretty convinced it would have been a 17-10, 24-17 type of game because we had WRs wide open all night...our 5-9 backup kept getting the ball batted down at the line of scrimmage...probably should have played our Baylor transfer more, who led us to our only TD...but he got here right before camp started and was still learning the offense...he's actually more talented than our starter.

North Dakota has a much better passing game than Mississippi State...MSU has better WRs but both QBs are horrible...Danny Freund would EASILY start for them and would make them a much more dangerous offense...you guys could score on a lot of people.

I wasn't the one who said Freund is the best quarterback in the Dakota's. I think he very well may be, but the post saying that was made by someone else.

I wasn't the one who said Freund is the best quarterback in the Dakota's. I think he very well may be, but the post saying that was made by someone else.

You are correct UND92,96 you never said Freund was the best QB in the Dakotas. All you said was that you believe Freund is every bit as good as USD's Sheppard. My apologizes.

You are correct UND92,96 you never said Freund was the best QB in the Dakotas. All you said was that you believe Freund is every bit as good as USD's Sheppard. My apologizes.

Do you guys have a quarterback who is a shoe in for the QB spot next year or is it pretty wide open?

Do you guys have a quarterback who is a shoe in for the QB spot next year or is it pretty wide open?

My guess is that former Central player, Jake Landry, will be the guy. He has seen some action in some of our blowouts...I believe he will be a junior next year.

My guess is that former Central player, Jake Landry, will be the guy. He has seen some action in some of our blowouts...I believe he will be a junior next year.

I would say that the job is probably Landry's to lose, but I am very curious about some of the younger quarterbacks, particularly Goska and Hendrickson. I believe both would provide more running ability, but less arm strength, than Jake. Hendrickson is reportedly very fast, and when Goska signed Lennon compared him to Grand Valley's Cullen Finnerty.