SiouxSports.com Forum

Ticket Prices

ascbcb

I love that "if people will pay that much" philosophy that always gets thrown around in situations like these. People that spout that crap think they have some superior understanding of free market economics and justification for this type of opportunistic business practice. This is not unlike the thought processes and decision making approaches that where inherent in the minds of the morons that created the banking sub-prime mortgage mess our society is faced with today. That whole, "things can take care of themselves" stupidity that so many of us seem to possess.

Just to entertain the ignorance of this philosophy consider two things:

1. What is the eventual apex to the price vs demand curve? Wouldn't it have to be when people stop buying tickets? Employing this catalyst to stimulate price reduction is brilliant. What would the deleterious change be to our fan base that would have to occur in order to get fans to the point where they said "piss off" to UND, the Sioux and REA. I'll tell you what it wouldn't be. It would not be something where the arena would go from half full back to full at the flip of a price reduction switch. Group behavior does not work that way. Not even close. By the time attendance would be a noticeable issue you would have lost many many more fans than the direct reduction in attendance per game. Once you lose a fan it is pretty difficult to get them back. Kind of like when you break up with someone you just don't go back. It is human nature to not return to something you have left, especially when you ended it due to unhappiness. So the argument that they should charge as much as people will pay to fill the place is just plan fricking retarded. But most people are retards so what ya gonna do?

2. The REA is already filled with a bunch of old stiffs and our home ice advantage, or lack there of, reflects this. If you raise prices you will have a change in the median income level of attendee and likewise increasing the average age of attendee. So raising prices will likely put more old people in the arena. Let's hear some noise!! "zzzzzzzz!!!" Wake up!!! fun.. if you don't think this would occur, imagine mankato or St.Cloud charging $40 for a game. How would that change those crowds.

3. As was mentioned in earlier posts. Families going to games-ie kids! would be curtailed. Kids are future ticket buyers are they not. I will say no more about this point...

So, while I would bet that the ralph will nearly sell out all games this year, what will also be occurring is not something they care to consider, that the Sioux economy, to some degree, will be compromised by their greed and short-sightedness . How much is the question; maybe just ever-so-slightly, maybe more. It's always hard to detect in the beginning, especially when things are going good. And things are definitely going very good for the Sioux fan base. But make no mistake about it, if they keep with the "what can we ask for them and still sell out approach?", sooner or later we will all find out that it is not a foregone conclusion that things stay good no matter what you choose to leach out of them.

SO the moral of this story is-there is much more to economics than a simple two dimensional graph will ever show.

Don't know where the "old" line is, yababy, but:

1. Someday you'll hit that line and

2. You'll still want to be at Sioux hockey and

3. Those below the old line will be bitching at you for buying tickets and ruining the atmosphere and

4. Because you're "old" the Sioux will lose.

BTW, getting kids hooked on Sioux hockey will create another generations of "old" people.

Good grief :D

It's amazing the price went up that much compared to the other prices in the league. I just bought tickets for the SCSU-Sioux game and it is $30 this year compared to $25 from last year. Only paying $16 at Mankato and $25 at UMD when they play the Sioux. We're going to watch the Gopher/Sioux game on the internet this year. If the rest of the league ever raised prices that high I think we'd end up having to watch all the games on the net.

Nope just wasn't you. Have been trying to get some the whole time but Ticketmaster is being stupid. I had to wait 15mins just for it to tell me that it couldn't find any.

Ticketmaster WAS STUPID! I was getting Denver tickets for my parents and I too, had to wait a super long time for it to tell me it couldn't find any tickets and had to go back and try again. And I got on at exactly 10:00 (I sat on my computer refreshing until it let me select tickets)... So then I called my parents to apologize for the not that good upper bowl seats I got them. I'm a little concerned I'm going to run into this problem tomorrow when I try to get my student seasosn tickets. I might call over to the ralph and ask them a couple questions....

Don't know where the "old" line is, yababy, but:

1. Someday you'll hit that line and

2. You'll still want to be at Sioux hockey and

3. Those below the old line will be bitching at you for buying tickets and ruining the atmosphere and

4. Because you're "old" the Sioux will lose.

BTW, getting kids hooked on Sioux hockey will create another generations of "old" people.

Good grief :D

ahh com'on don't be so sensitive. I knew someone would call fowl about the "old" thing. To answer your question, it is not a line, it is a curve and we all start going up it pretty fast after college through our 20s and all the way up to 120 :D

Im old. hehe I'm 40. I do not get loud at games the same way I did when I was 22.

What do you think makes the 'atmosphere' at a collegiate sporting event appealing? It aint old quiet people like me.

your 'BTW' point is exactly my point regarding the deleterious effect of significant price increases. The kids that are Sioux fans today will for the most part stay Sioux fans as they get older and a good number of them will take the RAPE and pay the cash for the tickets. This will justify the ticket stewards poor decision as they see no short term effect other than the nice juicy positive one- more profit. But we stand the risk of the next generation not being 'fertilized' with Sioux passion' in the same way if you reduce the number of them experiencing it at its greatest- live against a good team. This is a long term deleterious effect. And it is therefore harder to imagine and in turn less considered than the rapid return cause/effect stuff which most people can see pretty well. Especially when the long term effects are clouded by short term gains.

People are much better at seeing things in the short term than the long term and I'm sure my post will reflect that. Most people reading this will see what I'm saying as nothing more than pointless theoretical babble.

Just about the same as most thought of the economist they heard express concerns over the long term deleterious effects of the sub-prime market 5 years ago.

Just a bunch of Bla Bla Bla! right?

bottom line- they should not be charging $40 for a Sioux game in Grand Forks! It is risky business!! And as a fan I aint so hip on them risking the integrity of

one of my favorite life experiences.

because of people like you im sure!!!

I like it better that way, 16 Gopher fans :D

Anyone who REALLY wanted them just had to go to the lengths. We went to a computer lab where we knew the internet would be at it's fastest. Bring friends, everyone sign in, and be ready. Works well if you practice on another even but just dont end up actually purchasing the tickets. We actually could have had 8 more too, we had the orders up for them too but declined.

nothing more than pointless theoretical babble.

You could have just written that and saved so many words :D

I don't need to see the Gophers to enjoy Sioux hockey; I go whenever I can, which isn't too often. I drove to every home series in the mid 70s when the Sioux were terrible, the final years under Bjorkman.

Only chance recently for a Gopher game was the expected Sioux/Gophers matchup in the West Regional in GF, but Holy Cross messed that up.

The Ku band satellite system takes care of most of the games.

I went over after work and picked up some more too for the SCSU series. Still some room in section 210. Tickets $30 a piece.

On another note SCSU didn't let people buy tickets on ticketmonster for the Gopher series. Instead you had to buy them at the ticket office. There weren't many left either for the Jan. series but some for the Oct. game in St.Cloud. They had a deal, buy a Gopher ticket and Robert Morris ticket for $35.