SiouxSports.com Forum

UND vs. SCSU

UND92,96

Can always rely on you, HS. That number, while not bad, is a little irritating. Maybe the night games is the way to go???

I am guessing the "Free Military" Promotion UND had last week (Military ID's could get you 3-4 free tickets) probably helped attendance,

• Replies 83
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I am guessing the "Free Military" Promotion UND had last week (Military ID's could get you 3-4 free tickets) probably helped attendance,

Hey it's tough to get people excited about SCSU. Probably won't be much better next week against Wisconsin- Lacrosse. Western Washington should draw well since it's Homecoming and if our athletic department has their act together they should promote the hell out of the SUU game as the first D-I opponent at home. Next year schedule should improve and we'll see better attendance.

Through two games, UND has no sacks, and has given up six. Not good. The lack of a pass rush today was very frustrating. Rushing for just 90 yards is also disappointing.

I agree frustrating game. We sit back in our zone far too much and we aren't mixing things up with the blitz nearly as much as we did in the Tibesar/Schweigert days. Too many mental errors on defense again. Needs to be corrected because we'll face a lot better offenses than SCSU.

CONCERNS:

Offensive line has been unimpressive, especially in run-blocking, through 2 games

Did not establish running game

Don't seem to be as strong at linebacker as in the past 4-5 years

Gave up a couple big plays on defense late in the game

POSITIVES

Run Defense was stellar

Freund played well again

Other receivers stepped up (Nicholas, Grover), took pressure off Trenbeath

Josh Murray is "shifty" :lol:

INJURIES THAT I NOTICED

Jeff Tescher appeared to have a "lower body injury" that seemed to make him quite uncomfortable, he did return

Kenny Watkins rolled his ankle, it was taped up but he sat on the bench the rest of the game and did not return, seemed to walk fine when game was over

Random thoughts and comments...

1) Two games...zero sacks for the defense. ZERO.

2) Freund showed good mobility.

3) Hellavang plays like Dr. Jekyl and Mr. Hyde. He would have had three kickoffs go out of bounds in a row but the SCSU player caught the third before it had the chance.

4) Did anyone else hear the referee make a serious mistake when announcing which team would receive the ball to start the second half? Mr. Referee...I award you the IGIT OF THE GAME AWARD. Congratulations!

5) The seats in the Alerus don't seem very comfortable after running a half-marathon.

6) Brady Trenbeath received the Player of the Game award...he should have won last week as well.

7) "Offensive line has been unimpressive, especially in run-blocking, through 2 games"...per bincitysioux.

8) Poor tackling in the second half.

9) $4.50 for a tub of buttered popcorn?

10) The Blue Moose burger is a work of art.

GO SIOUX

Did you pay the extra dollar for the "extra" butter? It was my lucky day, the lady who gave me my nachos gave me my "extra" cheese for free. :)

One more POSITIVE from me: St. Cloud was 0-10 on 3rd down. :0

Next time I am going to spend an extra 50 cents and buy my kids a beer instead...

:lol:

:)

Some observations from afar...

I went to the St. Cloud game last year and I'm wondering if the Sioux just had a hard time getting up for this game. Last year the Sioux were up by at least 28 points at halftime. This may have been part of the reason for a downturn in attendance from last week. I agree with those that say night games would be better attended.

Go Sioux!!!

That number, while not bad, is a little irritating. Maybe the night games is the way to go???

Later games are perfectly fine by me. Living in Mayville and not GF, it is some times hard to get up on an early saturday and be in early to tailgate. A 3-4-5-6 o'clock game would probably help out not only attendance but the tailgating croud.

HOWEVER, I never want to see a Thursday night game again. I was at bank meetings in Fargo until 5, had to fly back to Mayville and change, grab a quick bite to eat and pick up roommate/friends to carpool to the game and it was darn neer 7 on the dot by the time we parked and got into the game. Luckily nobody had to buy tickets that night or we would have missed kickoff.

A six o'clock saturday game is fine by me though.

College football: SCSU slows, but can't stop Sioux - www.sctimes.com

"From my end of it, you just see him catch it and run with it," said St. Cloud State coach Scott Underwood, who watched the play from the opposite sideline. "The referee was on their sideline, so I'm sure he had a good look at it."

Williams wasn't quite so diplomatic.

"I think it was a bad call because I didn't push off at all," he said, his smile almost underscoring his frustration. "I just let him go, and I just readjusted myself to catch the ball. Apparently, the referee seen something else, but I think that was a bad call."

Don't you have to first be holding something in order to let it go?

To be honest...I did not see the penalty (I must have been paying for $4.50 popcorn or something) and they did not show a replay at the Alerus. Anyone else care to comment?

Congrats to "THE FIGHTING SIOUX" on your win over SCSU it was a job well done. As for the GATORS we had a tough time with the CANES for the first 3 quarters but in the 4th we finally gotten together & beat them 26-3. It would have been even more but we had one call back due to not enough men on the offensive line. Hey go figure. So in closing congrats to "THE FIGHTING SIOUX" for a job well done on your victory.

SIOUX FAN (HOCKEY) SINCE 1973.

Random thoughts and comments...

1) Two games...zero sacks for the defense. ZERO.

2) Freund showed good mobility.

3) Hellavang plays like Dr. Jekyl and Mr. Hyde. He would have had three kickoffs go out of bounds in a row but the SCSU player caught the third before it had the chance.

4) Did anyone else hear the referee make a serious mistake when announcing which team would receive the ball to start the second half? Mr. Referee...I award you the IGIT OF THE GAME AWARD. Congratulations!

5) The seats in the Alerus don't seem very comfortable after running a half-marathon.

6) Brady Trenbeath received the Player of the Game award...he should have won last week as well.

7) "Offensive line has been unimpressive, especially in run-blocking, through 2 games"...per bincitysioux.

8) Poor tackling in the second half.

9) $4.50 for a tub of buttered popcorn?

10) The Blue Moose burger is a work of art.

GO SIOUX

I think you have the typical North Dakota persona of let's bitch and complain about anything with money. While I realize a tub of popcorn might be $4.50 get over yourself, go to any other Big Time Division I school, oh yeah.... then you'll be paying $50-$80 a ticket and I think you get the point. Not trying to be harsh, but it seems everyone complains if something isn't free while attending a Fighting Sioux Football Game. Going to a game is one of the cheapest things of entertainment around. You have people giving out free posters and other free promotions that are "free" and mid 30 to 40 year old couples bitch and think that these people giving these things out are tyring to sell them something. Rant over/ not trying to be hard on you - Jusy Saying

I think you have the typical North Dakota persona of let's bitch and complain about anything with money. While I realize a tub of popcorn might be $4.50 get over yourself, go to any other Big Time Division I school, oh yeah.... then you'll be paying $50-$80 a ticket and I think you get the point. Not trying to be harsh, but it seems everyone complains if something isn't free while attending a Fighting Sioux Football Game. Going to a game is one of the cheapest things of entertainment around. You have people giving out free posters and other free promotions that are "free" and mid 30 to 40 year old couples bitch and think that these people giving these things out are tyring to sell them something. Rant over/ not trying to be hard on you - Jusy Saying

Where in heck do you come up with the conclusion this was a rant?? It was simply some comments and observations. Just cuz someone questions $4.50 for popcorn? Besides this guy is from Minnesota and has no need for money. He can well afford $14.50 for popcorn if he wishes, but not every one can, especially if you bring your kids and their friends and the "missus" Other than the popcorn comment and the observation that his butt was sore after running the marathon, what was the rant?

So everyone should just expect to be ripped off because they are attending a game. Your already paying for the ticket and they still rape you on anything else you buy. I have lived in Seattle and Houston and going to a pro game at either place is roughly the same cost in spite of the fact that it cost about twice as much to live in Seattle. I think at a UND football game it is a little foolish to charge that much for popcorn, especially considering it is almost all profit and UND isn't the NFL or Major college football. I only paid around $20 bucks to go watch Rice or UH games in Houston and when I looked at tickets before season start last year it was between $30-$40 at UW.

If they sold products a little cheaper they would likely sell more, keep people happy, and make as much or more money anyway. For myself I will not pay that price for popcorn because it isn't worth the price to me, but if it was more reasonable I would and I think a lot of people are like that. It isn't really about the money as much as it is a feeling of being taken advantage of.

If UND athletics was making all the profit from concessions I would be more willing to pay a higher price, but I don't think thats the case. Does anyone actually know who is making the profit from Alerus concessions?

So everyone should just expect to be ripped off because they are attending a game. Your already paying for the ticket and they still rape you on anything else you buy. I have lived in Seattle and Houston and going to a pro game at either place is roughly the same cost in spite of the fact that it cost about twice as much to live in Seattle. I think at a UND football game it is a little foolish to charge that much for popcorn, especially considering it is almost all profit and UND isn't the NFL or Major college football. I only paid around $20 bucks to go watch Rice or UH games in Houston and when I looked at tickets before season start last year it was between $30-$40 at UW.

If they sold products a little cheaper they would likely sell more, keep people happy, and make as much or more money anyway. For myself I will not pay that price for popcorn because it isn't worth the price to me, but if it was more reasonable I would and I think a lot of people are like that. It isn't really about the money as much as it is a feeling of being taken advantage of.

If UND athletics was making all the profit from concessions I would be more willing to pay a higher price, but I don't think thats the case. Does anyone actually know who is making the profit from Alerus concessions?

I never said that people should be expected to be ripped off while attending a Fighting Sioux Football Game. That's just how things work at the Alerus with some concession items and it's the way it is get over it and move on it's a part of life there are a million other things where a fan or consumer is getting taking of. Sorry, obviously wasn't a rant just an perspective on the guys comment. Now with you saying "if they sold products a little cheaper they would likely sell more, obvioulsy I am glad you understand some economics, in reality though, when your dealing with a profoit margin and costs that would be the most uneducated soltuion to the problem. $4.50 for a large tub is not that much.... what are you paying for a large popcorn at a movie if you have the desire to fork over the money and indulge in the large popcorn.....probably the samething. Then again a large tub of popcorn at the Alerus or at a movie theather..... is a hell of a lot popcorn and probably not a healthy conscious decison but that is a story for another day my friend.

I never said that people should be expected to be ripped off while attending a Fighting Sioux Football Game. That's just how things work at the Alerus with some concession items and it's the way it is get over it and move on it's a part of life there are a million other things where a fan or consumer is getting taking of. Sorry, obviously wasn't a rant just an perspective on the guys comment. Now with you saying "if they sold products a little cheaper they would likely sell more, obvioulsy I am glad you understand some economics, in reality though, when your dealing with a profoit margin and costs that would be the most uneducated soltuion to the problem. $4.50 for a large tub is not that much.... what are you paying for a large popcorn at a movie if you have the desire to fork over the money and indulge in the large popcorn.....probably the samething. Then again a large tub of popcorn at the Alerus or at a movie theather..... is a hell of a lot popcorn and probably not a healthy conscious decison but that is a story for another day my friend.

I don't really care about the margin, it's the bottom line.

Where in heck do you come up with the conclusion this was a rant?? It was simply some comments and observations. Just cuz someone questions $4.50 for popcorn? Besides this guy is from Minnesota and has no need for money. He can well afford $14.50 for popcorn if he wishes, but not every one can, especially if you bring your kids and their friends and the "missus" Other than the popcorn comment and the observation that his butt was sore after running the marathon, what was the rant?

Just for the record...my butt wasn't sore.

What I really needed was to stretch a bit and walk around...the two hour drive to Grand Forks didn't help.

Wow...I come home from church to find myself the center of a major debate. My apologies for offending you...

(pause)

(reflection)

(pause)

(sigh)

I am now over myself.