SiouxSports.com Forum

Future Schedules

dakotadan

The fans may consider only Montana to be a peer, but I would be willing to wager that the administration would also consider Montana State, maybe Idaho State, and yes, North Dakota to be peers. That said, I agree that there is very little possibility that Idaho will return to the Big Sky.

University of Idaho peer institutions.

http://www.ucm.uidah....aspx?pid=86019

· Colorado State University

· Iowa State University

· Kansas State University

· Michigan State University

· Montana State University - Bozeman

· New Mexico State University - Main Campus

· Oklahoma State University - Main Campus

· Oregon State University

· Texas Tech University

· University of Arizona

· University of Arkansas - Main Campus

· University of California-Davis

· University of Nebraska at Lincoln

· University of Nevada-Reno

· University of Wyoming

· Utah State University

· Washington State University

You can quibble over athletic vs. academic peer institutions but either way Idaho really is bothered that the Big Sky now is comprised of so many Carneige lower-tier, "directional" institutions. In recent years, since Idaho left the Big Sky, they've added Southern Utah, Northern Colorado, Sacramento State, and Portland State. If they felt they'd outgrown the Big Sky before, the addition of these institutions has only reduced the BSC's image further in their eyes. Even Eastern Washington joined less than a decade before Idaho left. Meahwnile, old rivals Nevada and Boise State have moved on to become successful, Top 25 FBS teams. UND's presence helps the Big Sky's image somewhat, as would have USD's, but not nearly enough for it to overcome it's current image to Idaho fans.

• Upvote 1

He wasn't the one scheduling football games and negotiating contracts...now you can argue that he probably should have been the one but I think (actually know) the duty of FB scheduling during the Buning era was handled by someone who is still in the UND Athletic Department.

He wasn't the one scheduling football games and negotiating contracts...now you can argue that he probably should have been the one but I think (actually know) the duty of FB scheduling during the Buning era was handled by someone who is still in the UND Athletic Department.

I will admitt my mistake....the person who negotiated the Idaho State contrat and all others around that time is no longer in the UND athletics departmen (but was until not too long ago)t, but it wasn't Tom Buning. Although Mr. Buning was obiviously responsible for delagating this responsibility to him.

The bitterness of that pill depends on who we get to replace that game. With the $100,000 Lamar is sending us we should be able to add a few $$ to that and buy something decent. I had also heard that Lamar was supposed to pay for a replacement as well, so it may be more that $100,000.

Still, it does suck. They are instead playing D2 Incarnate Word. So it's not like Auburn came calling with a big pay day. They wanted to buy themselves a win.

Lamar Backs Out Of Game At South Dakota

Three weeks after being released, the 2011 football schedule for the University of South Dakota is now short one home game.

And officials at USD are not happy about it.

Lamar University, a Football Championship Subdivision (FCS) school in Texas, was originally scheduled to make a return trip to Vermillion on Sept. 17.

But when the Southland Conference program released its 2011 schedule on Monday, that date was occupied by another school.

When you see all the problems schools have with schedules and the problems we had getting our schedule for next year it reminds me now much I am looking forward to getting into the Big Sky when scheduling will become a whole lot easier. We just have one more year to suck it up.

There has been a fair amount of speculation about when, or if, SDSU will be making a return trip to Grand Forks. In the Herald's live chat on Wednesday, Wayne Nelson stated that he didn't expect to see it any time soon. However, according to Terry Vandrovec, SDSU will be playing at UND in 2013: http://www.argusleader.com/apps/pbcs.dll/section?category=PluckPersona&U=69144e41448a46579a2772abd68f472c&plckUserId=69144e41448a46579a2772abd68f472c&plckPersonaPage=BlogViewPost&plckPostId=Blog:69144e41448a46579a2772abd68f472cPost:a1a3c43d-cdd3-4cfa-83fb-da702a737214

There has been a fair amount of speculation about when, or if, SDSU will be making a return trip to Grand Forks. In the Herald's live chat on Wednesday, Wayne Nelson stated that he didn't expect to see it any time soon. However, according to Terry Vandrovec, SDSU will be playing at UND in 2013: http://www.argusleader.com/apps/pbcs.dll/section?category=PluckPersona&U=69144e41448a46579a2772abd68f472c&plckUserId=69144e41448a46579a2772abd68f472c&plckPersonaPage=BlogViewPost&plckPostId=Blog:69144e41448a46579a2772abd68f472cPost:a1a3c43d-cdd3-4cfa-83fb-da702a737214

That is my understanding and what I have been hearing as well.

I know there is little chance the 2013 schedule is going to stand like this, but isn't the home schedule amazing!

South Dakota St

Montana

South Dakota

Cal Poly

All Star cast right there.

I know there is little chance the 2013 schedule is going to stand like this, but isn't the home schedule amazine!

South Dakota St

Montana

South Dakota

Cal Poly

All Star cast right there.

Would love to see South Dakota remain on the schedule in the coming years for all sports, but I have my doubts....................

The fact that we still are not playing NDSU in women's basketball and that there is no agreement beyond the 2011-12 season with NDSU for men's basketball leaves to believe that logic does not always prevail when it comes to scheduling in the "revenue" sports.

I would not at all be surprised to see USD off of the football schedule after the 2011 season............................

USF football team to host four games - www.argusleader.com

The trip to Grand Forks (Nov. 5) will also be intriguing, as the Sioux will be looking to avenge their stunning 28-13 loss to the Cougars in 2009. There had been talk (and remains some) of UND buying out the game, but Sanchez said the buyout would cost the Sioux $160,000. Not to mention UND might want another shot at a team they clearly didn't respect the last time they faced off.

The Cougars, who are not eligible for NCAA postseason play until 2012 when they begin a Northern Sun Intercollegiate Conference schedule.............

Why is there only a one year transition from NAIA to DII but four years from DII to DI?

Its actually a 2 year transition, although year 1 the NAIA allows the to participate in the post season. I'm sure the reason for 4 years is to discourage as many school as possible from making the move. Since UND has made the move the NCAA has made the DI transition even more difficult, i.e. must have a conference invite prior to making the jump plus nearly a $1M membership fee.

Its actually a 2 year transition, although year 1 the NAIA allows the to participate in the post season. I'm sure the reason for 4 years is to discourage as many school as possible from making the move. Since UND has made the move the NCAA has made the DI transition even more difficult, i.e. must have a conference invite prior to making the jump plus nearly a $1M membership fee.

Ok, I guess that makes sense. If you're trying to attract someone from outside the NCAA (from the NAIA) they want to be more encouraging. With all the teams leaving the NAIA for D-II, I wonder what will ultimately become of the NAIA. Can't imagine they can continue having two divisions for some sports that much longer.

Would love to see South Dakota remain on the schedule in the coming years for all sports, but I have my doubts....................

The fact that we still are not playing NDSU in women's basketball and that there is no agreement beyond the 2011-12 season with NDSU for men's basketball leaves to believe that logic does not always prevail when it comes to scheduling in the "revenue" sports.

I would not at all be surprised to see USD off of the football schedule after the 2011 season............................

That would be a travesty. I will make it a point whenever I talk to people inside the USD athletic dept to stress that it is important to keep the USD/UND series going. I would hope you all do the same up north.

That would be a travesty. I will make it a point whenever I talk to people inside the USD athletic dept to stress that it is important to keep the USD/UND series going. I would hope you all do the same up north.

It makes an incredible amount of sense to keep the UND-USD series alive, in all sports. Not only are we similar, peer universities in adjoining states, it will bring bigger crowds, less travel costs, better exposure in the Dakotas for both programs, and many other advantages And we could replace the Sitting Bull trophy with something like SDSU and NDSU have in the Dakota Marker. Everyone wins!

When it comes to FB, I'd love to see our 8-game Big Sky scheduled supplemented with annual games with USD and NDSU.

I actually think--or at least hope--that the ridiculousless of UND-NDSU and USD-SDSU not playing each other for so long in most sports will result in the powers-that-be at UND and USD not wanting a repeat of that with each other. Particularly so long at UND and NDSU are not playing each other in football, I think we will see UND and USD play every year. As for basketball, volleyball, etc., it seems like such a no-brainer to play every year that I have a hard time believing it won't happen.

The Cougars, who are not eligible for NCAA postseason play until 2012 when they begin a Northern Sun Intercollegiate Conference schedule.............

Why is there only a one year transition from NAIA to DII but four years from DII to DI?

You gave a great answer. Allow me to give the shorter version.

MONEY.

Another DI member means slicing the revenue pie another way.

And we can't that that because the NCAA is really all about mone... ,er, ... {mind control kicks in} ... I mean the student-athlete ...

So it would cost $160,000 to buy out SFU? If correct, whomever negotiated that situation for UND ought to be fired and then submit to a psychological exam if it has not happened already. What a ridiculous number! Are we losing our minds up there in GF?

That buyout amount would be painful; however, losing again to Sioux Falls College would be more painful. Their program has continued to improve since they dominated (and embarrassed UND) and UNDs has declined.