SiouxSports.com Forum

Future Schedules

dakotadan

My wish list regarding continuing the USD-UND series

1) Continue playing the game annually on a home & home basis

2) If you can figure out a way to keep the Sioux name, also reinstate the Sitting Bull trophy (the trophy has a great tradition & was the topic of an article in Sports Illustrated several years ago). If done the right way, the game could serve as a way for both Universities to continue reaching out to Native American population.

Agreed. While I think an annual game (or at least a bi-annual game) with NDSU is good for the state as well as both universities, in some ways I'd just as much like to continue the UND-USD rivalry annually as I would the one with NDSU. The Bison-Sioux rivalry has turned nasty at times (both sides), while the one with USD is hard-fought with vocal fans, between two very similar neighbor-state institutions, but without some of the nastiness.

If we can't keep the Sioux name, another trophy could be created, ala the Dakota Marker between SDSU and NDSU.

Faison said he wasnt supposed to mention the football deal lol. it slipped out of his mouth

on the coaches show he said our rivals are UNC and Montana state

Each team has two rivals

Montana State would be us and Montana

So we are not oging to be paired with the grizzlies.

Here's what to expect for annual Big Sky rivals:

UND: NC, MSU

NC: UND, NAU

NAU: NC, SUU

SUU: NAU, WSU

WSU: SUU, ISU

ISU: WSU, PSU

PSU: ISU, EWU

EWU: PSU, UM

UM: EWU, MSU

MSU: UM, UND

Sac: Poly, UCD

UCD: Sac, Poly

Poly: Sac, UCD

What needs to happen for annual UND-Griz games is one more team, so divisional play can happen. If Idaho would have been forced back (if the MWC had taken Utah St and SJSU), the divisions could have been:

North: UND, UM, MSU, IDaho, EWU, NC, ISU

South: WSU, SUU, NAU, PSU, Davis, Poly, Sac

What needs to happen for annual UND-Griz games is one more team, so divisional play can happen. If Idaho would have been forced back (if the MWC had taken Utah St and SJSU), the divisions could have been:

North: UND, UM, MSU, IDaho, EWU, NC, ISU

South: WSU, SUU, NAU, PSU, Davis, Poly, Sac

Idaho's not coming back to FCS anytime soon. They'll play in a heavily-watered-down WAC or even as an independent for a while if they have to rather than allow the perception that they "failed" in their attempt to move to FBS along with Boise State. Now, it was possible they would have joined the BSC for non-football sports IF the WAC had disintegrated, but not for football. There's a FBS-or-bust mentality there right now that would not let it happen. Maybe after many years of independent purgatory, but not now.

Idaho's not coming back to FCS anytime soon. They'll play in a heavily-watered-down WAC or even as an independent for a while if they have to rather than allow the perception that they "failed" in their attempt to move to FBS along with Boise State. Now, it was possible they would have joined the BSC for non-football sports IF the WAC had disintegrated, but not for football. There's a FBS-or-bust mentality there right now that would not let it happen. Maybe after many years of independent purgatory, but not now.

My take on Idaho is all or nothing. I don't like the everything except football. The Big Sky kind of holds all the chips when dealing with Idaho. The big brains at Idaho will soon see that the Big Sky is where they belong and shoul've never left.

My take on Idaho is all or nothing. I don't like the everything except football. The Big Sky kind of holds all the chips when dealing with Idaho. The big brains at Idaho will soon see that the Big Sky is where they belong and shoul've never left.

The "big brains" might but their alumni and financial supporters won't. Several have said they will no longer donate/attend if they drop back down. Not empty threats, unfortunately.

Of the 9 current BSC teams, 7 have released their complete schedules for next year. Sac State still has to announce one game, and Portland State still has to announce their schedule. All of the BSC teams are playing at least one FBS game. And of the 7 with complete schedules, five are playing D-II teams including two playing teams moving from NAIA to D-II. While playing a full FCS/FBS schedule is attractive from a playoff qualification standpoint, a majority of teams in the Big Sky seem to schedule one lower-level opponent each season. Unless the new 13-team BSC will allow teams to play conference opponents as non-conference games, it appears this won'tchange in the near future.

2011 non-conference opponents

Eastern Washington

Cal Poly

Washington (FBS)

South Dakota

Idaho State

Washington State (FBS)

BYU (FBS)

Western State (Division II)

Montana

At Tennessee (FBS)

Cal Poly

Western Oregon (Division II)

Montana State

Utah (FBS)

UC Davis

Minot State (Division II move-up)

Northern Arizona

Arizona (FBS)

Southern Utah

Fort Lewis (Division II)

Northern Colorado

Colorado State (FBS)

Lindenwood (Division II move-up)

North Dakota

Portland State

TBA

Sacramento State

Oregon State (FBS)

UC Davis

TBA

Weber State

Wyoming (FBS)

Utah State (FBS)

Southern Utah

How many non-BSC FCS teams are there west of the Mississippi? Other than the Dakota schools and some Texas Schools and UC-Davis/Cal Poly, I can't think of any. It's much cheaper bringing in a local DII than an out of the region FCS. My guess is that the Big Sky will allow teams to play other Big Sky teams that aren't on their schedule as a non-conference game.

You're probably right on Idaho coming back to the Big Sky. I looked and dating back to 2002, with the exception of a 09' season in which they went 8-5 with a bowl game win, they have had a losing record every year. Also there attendance ranks 118 out of 120 FBS teams ahead of Ball State and Akron. Even if they were to average a sell out that would only push them to 110th out of 120.

You're probably right on Idaho coming back to the Big Sky. I looked and dating back to 2002, with the exception of a 09' season in which they went 8-5 with a bowl game win, they have had a losing record every year. Also there attendance ranks 118 out of 120 FBS teams ahead of Ball State and Akron. Even if they were to average a sell out that would only push them to 110th out of 120.

ouch!

ouch!

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/324910-the-fbs-attendance-hall-of-shame

http://web1.ncaa.org/mfb/2010/Internet/attendance/FBS_AVGATTENDANCE.pdf

I also found this article written last year stating that FBS schools that averaged less than 15,000 have one year to get there attendance up or lose there FBS status. As you can see by the list there is seven teams that fall into that category with Idaho being one of them.

I dare anyone to go onto the Vandal forum and suggest they go back to FCS and the Big Sky: http://mbd.scout.com/mb.aspx?s=205

After hearing venom that would make a Bison fan blush, they will point out that the 12-15K they average now is a lot better than what they averaged in the Big Sky (when Boise State and Nevada were still there and Northern Colorado, Sacramento State and Southern Utah weren't). Many of them will advocate dropping football before being in a league that includes very few peer institutions, and schools they see themselves as better than academically and athletically (particularly the "directional schools" Northern Arizona, Northern Colorado, Southern Utah, Eastern Washington, Portland State, etc...). The only BSC school they feel an affinity for is Montana. It might not be rational, but that's the view from the Vandal faithful.

I dare anyone to go onto the Vandal forum and suggest they go back to FCS and the Big Sky: http://mbd.scout.com/mb.aspx?s=205

After hearing venom that would make a Bison fan blush, they will point out that the 12-15K they average now is a lot better than what they averaged in the Big Sky (when Boise State and Nevada were still there and Northern Colorado, Sacramento State and Southern Utah weren't). Many of them will advocate dropping football before being in a league that includes very few peer institutions, and schools they see themselves as better than academically and athletically (particularly the "directional schools" Northern Arizona, Northern Colorado, Southern Utah, Eastern Washington, Portland State, etc...). The only BSC school they feel an affinity for is Montana. It might not be rational, but that's the view from the Vandal faithful.

If that article I posted earlier was true nobody has to tell them anything, the NCAA will. Apparently they haven't touched an average attendance of 15,000 for two seasons (maybe longer I don't know) and that is apparently what they need to remain in the BCS. How or if they enforce it is beyond me, but the article also states the NCAA is thinking about moving the required average attendance to 17,000. That would surpass there current stadium capacity which is 16,000, although there is some current planning (construction?) to increase there capacity.

Either way I'm not going on any other schools forum to tell them what they should. No way, I don't like it when other schools fans do it here and I won't do it other schools.

If that article I posted earlier was true nobody has to tell them anything, the NCAA will. Apparently they haven't touched an average attendance of 15,000 for two seasons (maybe longer I don't know) and that is apparently what they need to remain in the BCS. How or if they enforce it is beyond me, but the article also states the NCAA is thinking about moving the required average attendance to 17,000. That would surpass there current stadium capacity which is 16,000, although there is some current planning (construction?) to increase there capacity.

Either way I'm not going on any other schools forum to tell them what they should. No way, I don't like it when other schools fans do it here and I won't do it other schools.

I only meant that to show what a visceral reaction one would get if they even suggest a return to the Big Sky.

I don't think the NCAA has ever seriously considered busting someone back to FCS status. If anything, they've been allowing marginal programs to move up. Also, unless this is butts-in-the-seats, universities can sell tickets inexpensively to some big individual or corporate donor, or they can play one "home" game at another site (Idaho did this by playing "home" games at nearby Washington State, including one game against WSU itself! And they could do it by playing a game in Pullman or Boise if needed). I don't really see Idaho being told to go back by the NCAA.

I only meant that to show what a visceral reaction one would get if they even suggest a return to the Big Sky.

I don't think the NCAA has ever seriously considered busting someone back to FCS status. If anything, they've been allowing marginal programs to move up. Also, unless this is butts-in-the-seats, universities can sell tickets inexpensively to some big individual or corporate donor, or they can play one "home" game at another site (Idaho did this by playing "home" games at nearby Washington State, including one game against WSU itself! And they could do it by playing a game in Pullman or Boise if needed). I don't really see Idaho being told to go back by the NCAA.

Your right, I don't see NCAA sending them back to FCS either, but funnier things have happened. Also I know what you were getting at with Idaho fans. I just wanted to put that line in there for certain visitors from other schools to read.

• 3 weeks later...

UND has posted the schedule on the website..................................................just to warn you.............you're not gonna like it.

3 Sub-DI teams: Sioux Falls, Montana Western, and Black Hills St.

Northern Colorado added as an away game.

2011 Schedule

If you think the reaction to our schedule has been filled with vitriol, you outta hear what they're saying in California about UC Berkeley's announcement yesterday that they will host tiny Presbyterian College this fall: http://www.sfgate.co.../SPVD1HNJ41.DTL

Check out the Comments section.

The bitterness of that pill depends on who we get to replace that game. With the $100,000 Lamar is sending us we should be able to add a few $$ to that and buy something decent. I had also heard that Lamar was supposed to pay for a replacement as well, so it may be more that $100,000.

Still, it does suck. They are instead playing D2 Incarnate Word. So it's not like Auburn came calling with a big pay day. They wanted to buy themselves a win.

The bitterness of that pill depends on who we get to replace that game. With the $100,000 Lamar is sending us we should be able to add a few $$ to that and buy something decent. I had also heard that Lamar was supposed to pay for a replacement as well, so it may be more that $100,000.

Still, it does suck. They are instead playing D2 Incarnate Word. So it's not like Auburn came calling with a big pay day. They wanted to buy themselves a win.

Not quite as bitter of a pill as a $25,000 buy-out by Idaho State.

Word up. :lol:

The fans may consider only Montana to be a peer, but I would be willing to wager that the administration would also consider Montana State, maybe Idaho State, and yes, North Dakota to be peers. That said, I agree that there is very little possibility that Idaho will return to the Big Sky.