SiouxSports.com Forum

Future Schedules

dakotadan

2010 UND opponent Montana is now looking for a new coach, as Bobby Hauck has reportedly accepted the UNLV head coaching job.

Death Valley of coaching, nobody has been able to win games in Sin City.

Good luck with that Bobby.

Papers should be interesting here tomorrow with speculation.

....here is what I've heard from the NAIA world....(regarding Montana, etc)

Word I got is that DeBoer (and staff) are comfy where they are at, right at the moment anyway..(NDSU was the hard rumor for them, but unless that comes on hard here soon, word is that it's not gonna happen....not a fit)....and that while offers are out there, there's nothing that's seemingly a perfect fit for their coaching interests..at this moment. DeBoer could go as an OC (and his asst Morrell as a DC) to a few different places....but time will tell if Kalen wants to be an OC again (like in the past), or with his success as a head coach (56-1 in the last 4 years, 3 National Titles) if he's rather wait out his ideal fit for a head job..likely at the FCS level. (USF goes to D2 in the 2011 season)

MVD from Carroll....was gonna interview (Montana asked to speak with him), but then he saw it was gonna be a dog and pony show for the opening, and he withdrew interest. He's not about the glam and spotlight too much..as neither is Morrell, mentioned above....(he would have been a legit candidate though, fantastic leader of a program)

Seems that Robin Pflugrad (Wide Recievers Coach UM), Brent Pease (Asst. Head Coach / WR Coach Boise State), and Dave Doeren (DC Wisconsin). The default answer seems to be Pflugrad, as the lead horse..but certainly they have options. Of course other names might not have risen to the surface..as the last few coaches they've had weren't obvious selections heading into the process.

Glenn is in AZ apparently and has no interest in the position.

Later Sioux Folks....have a good holiday..stay safe in this messed up weather..

Thanks for the perspective from that way, Witt. The NDSU arrangement with DeBoer and Co. that was rumored sounded like the most awkward thing I'd ever heard in my life, no surprise there about it not happening. Should be interesting to see what happens with the Griz, sounds like they are trying to get it done by the end of the year at the latest if not sooner.

South Dakota 2010 Football Schedule

Sep. 4: @ Central Florida

Sept. 11: @ Minnesota

Sept. 18: Northwestern Oklahoma State

Sept. 25: @ North Dakota State

Oct. 2: North Dakota (Dakota Days)

Oct. 9: @ UC Davis

Oct. 16: Northern Iowa

Oct. 23: @ Southern Utah

Oct. 30: Northern Colorado

Nov. 6: Cal Poly

Nov. 13: @ Lamar

pretty good home schedule here for USD

All around tough schedule, minus the NAIA game. By the time they get to us they may be pretty beat up. Tough way to open a year.

NWOSU on the Sept 18th....Patrick Crayton's old school back in 2003 (they beat USF in the semis)......they wont just lay down, storied NAIA program looking at D2 in the next 4-5 years. They were on probation this year for an illegal player in 2008, but they would have won their conference this year on the NAIA level and been a playoff team. I realize that doesn't hold a lot of weight in the FCS world....but they are better than S. Oregon....as a point of reference..and had the leading RB at the NAIA level this year....a JR. (their head coach had a heart attack a few weeks ago..still recoving....kinda hairy deal....has beef with the AD apparently as well, despite having a good record..odd situation)

Anyway....think I might come down to watch that NWOSU vs USD game....see how NWOSU stacks up...my initial thought is 17-20 point dog on the road.

On the Montana coaching subject, UM AD Jim O'Day said he has a list of 25 legitimate candidates, and he wants to have a coach in place before the start of the American Football Coaches Association convention which starts Jan.10.

O'Day hasn't revealed any of the 25 candidates, but besides the ones that Witt mentioned (Pflugrad, Pease, Doeren) the most thrown around have been Alabama Offensive Coordinator Jim McElwain, Utah Offensive Coordinator Dave Schramm, and former Toronto Argonauts and Rocky Mountain College head coach Bart Andrus. One of these 6 seem to be the most likely successor, Doeren and McElwain would demand a significant raise from Haucks salary and Pease is also interviewing for the Offensive Coordinator job at Arizona State, so there are some issues within that group also.

What does appear written in stone is that whoever gets the job will have UM or Montana ties, O'Day stated "To bring somebody in from the outside that doesn't even know where Montana is located or doesn't realize where the heart of the program comes from will not be a viable candidate in my eyes."

They've set up a selection committee and met Wednesday, and will secure more information on the candidates over the holiday break and reconvene on Dec. 28.

So as of today that's where it's at.

On the Montana coaching subject, UM AD Jim O'Day said he has a list of 25 legitimate candidates, and he wants to have a coach in place before the start of the American Football Coaches Association convention which starts Jan.10.

O'Day hasn't revealed any of the 25 candidates, but besides the ones that Witt mentioned (Pflugrad, Pease, Doeren) the most thrown around have been Alabama Offensive Coordinator Jim McElwain, Utah Offensive Coordinator Dave Schramm, and former Toronto Argonauts and Rocky Mountain College head coach Bart Andrus. One of these 6 seem to be the most likely successor, Doeren and McElwain would demand a significant raise from Haucks salary and Pease is also interviewing for the Offensive Coordinator job at Arizona State, so there are some issues within that group also.

What does appear written in stone is that whoever gets the job will have UM or Montana ties, O'Day stated "To bring somebody in from the outside that doesn't even know where Montana is located or doesn't realize where the heart of the program comes from will not be a viable candidate in my eyes."

They've set up a selection committee and met Wednesday, and will secure more information on the candidates over the holiday break and reconvene on Dec. 28.

So as of today that's where it's at.

Geez no wonder Van Diest said forget it.

South Dakota 2010 Football Schedule

L Sep. 4: @ Central Florida

L Sept. 11: @ Minnesota

W Sept. 18: Northwestern Oklahoma State

L? Sept. 25: @ North Dakota State

L? Oct. 2: North Dakota (Dakota Days)

L Oct. 9: @ UC Davis

L Oct. 16: Northern Iowa

L Oct. 23: @ Southern Utah

L? Oct. 30: Northern Colorado

L Nov. 6: Cal Poly

W Nov. 13: @ Lamar

pretty good home schedule here for USD

With new QB could easily see USD going 2-9. A 5-6 record is almost best case.

It may be a good home schedule, but the overall schedule is a killer. There's not even a weekend off during the whole season. Almost every team except NW OK St and Lamar will have more talent.

For UND, it's almost perfect that they schedule NDSU the weekend before: otherwise it would have been USD's week off. Also, they'll spend a lot of emotion at the Fargodome before meeting UND. The USD-NDSU game is absolutely key for their whole season.l

Two FBS schools in Central Florida and Minnesota to start off with a new QB? For recruiting and media both make sense, but not in the same year and not right after each other.

I watched the Idaho game. It has to be one of the best games I have watched in quite some time. The game was very evenly played and went back and forth for the entire 4 quarters. Gutsy move by the coach to go for the 2point conversion and the win. It sure paid off!

• 5 weeks later...

UTSA now plas to go it alone in Football - UTSA has dropped plans to play in Southland conference

Let's get a home and home with UTSA for 2011/12. UTSA's move to bypass the Southland could also keep some Southland dates open - even with Lamar starting football.

University of Texas at San Antonio athletic director Lynn Hickey said the school, which is slated to begin play in 2011, would attempt to reach the NCAA

• 1 month later...

UT-San Antonio just announced their 2011 football schedule - their first year. It actually includes a North Dakota school but not UND: Minot State.

Sept: 3: Northeastern (Okla.) State

Sept. 10: McMurry

Sept. 17: @Southern Utah

Sept. 24: Bacone College

Oct. 1: @Sam Houston State

Oct. 8: South Alabama

Oct. 15: @UC Davis

Oct. 22: @Northwestern (La.) State

Oct. 29: Georgia State

Nov. 12: @McNeese State

Nov. 19: Minot (N.D.) State

UT-San Antonio just announced their 2011 football schedule - their first year. It actually includes a North Dakota school but not UND: Minot State.

Sept: 3: Northeastern (Okla.) State

Sept. 10: McMurry

Sept. 17: @Southern Utah

Sept. 24: Bacone College

Oct. 1: @Sam Houston State

Oct. 8: South Alabama

Oct. 15: @UC Davis

Oct. 22: @Northwestern (La.) State

Oct. 29: Georgia State

Nov. 12: @McNeese State

Nov. 19: Minot (N.D.) State

Looking again at UND home schedule for 2010, really sadder than I thought. Not one game that I would drive up from the Twin Cities to see. Easier to go to Northern Illinois or USD. The Alerus will be short of customers again this year I fear.

Looking again at UND home schedule for 2010, really sadder than I thought. Not one game that I would drive up from the Twin Cities to see. Easier to go to Northern Illinois or USD. The Alerus will be short of customers again this year I fear.

To each their own but I love seeing UC Davis at the Alerus Center.

I should be at all games but Northwestern St. Sure the schedule isn't perfect but its better than the last couple years. Southern Utah is much improved and gets better every year and UC Davis is a nice home game. I think if the football team is improved which it should be and wins games, I see much better crowds and support than last year. I think next year will the start of some fun years with UND football. Its going to be a young but very athletic team.

I should be at all games but Northwestern St. Sure the schedule isn't perfect but its better than the last couple years. Southern Utah is much improved and gets better every year and UC Davis is a nice home game. I think if the football team is improved which it should be and wins games, I see much better crowds and support than last year. I think next year will the start of some fun years with UND football. Its going to be a young but very athletic team.

Hope so. I would attend every game if I lived in the area up there again no matter who they played, but almost 6 hr drive now. Looking forward to some schedule announcements for 2011 and 2012 soon.

• 8 months later...

I wouldn't expect anybody to be excited about this game (if true), but it appears UND may be playing Valparaiso in either 2011 or 2012: http://www.post-trib.com/sports/mutka/2912516,jmutka-1122.article

Valparaiso also is upgrading its nonconference schedule. In the next two years, opponents will include Youngstown State, Duquesne, North Dakota and Western Illinois.

I wouldn't expect anybody to be excited about this game (if true), but it appears UND may be playing Valparaiso in either 2011 or 2012: http://www.post-trib.com/sports/mutka/2912516,jmutka-1122.article

I hope it is 2012. If this years playoff selections tell us anything its that all you have to do is play FCS teams and get to 7 wins. They can be the worst team in the country but they all count the same.