SiouxSports.com Forum

Future Schedules

dakotadan

Could a UND - Hawaii game be back on for 2011? Hawaii hasn't yet scheduled a FCS school that season.

Washington State dropped this game "citing uncertainty in Pac-10 scheduling for the 2011 season".

Wash St pulls out of 2011 Hawaii game

On second thought, maybe we should schedule Washington State?

Are you nuts.....I want to go to Hawaii..now i have an excuse to go. :D

Not sure why Northwestern St. was removed from the 2010 schedule posted at fightingsioux.com a few weeks ago, but I've been told by both Brian Faison and Mike Schepp that the Demons are still contracted to make a return trip to GF on Sept. 25 next season.

The Northwestern State Game Notes confirms that NW St. is coming to GF in 2010, although no date is indicated.

I would think it would be more likely that they would come to the first game in 2013 in Grand Forks and probably cancel on the second game in 2014 in Fargo. I guess time will tell.

Their game in Fargo comes before NDSU goes to Montana. If they don't go to Fargo, NDSU won't return the trip, thus Montana won't be canceling with NDSU.

A Look at things to come

A series with South Alabama may be in the mix. They move up to FBS in 2013.

Add independent Lamar to the mix next season. And there have been talks between UND and South Alabama, a first-year Division I program that recently named North Dakota native Joel Erdmann as its athletic director.

South Alabama needs home games next year (only has one home and four road games so far). A UND-USA weekend either Nov 20 or Nov 27th at Ladd-Peebles would be perfect as a sort of bowl game for the Sioux. Then USA could return the game in 2011 or 2012.

South Alabama inaugural fooball journey

After a decade of trying to start a football program at South Alabama, the day had arrived when Jones and his staff would make that dream for Jaguar fans a reality.

With nerves and emotions building as if Jones and his legendary coach Bear Bryant were preparing to meet rival Auburn in an Iron Bowl showdown, South Alabama made the dream come true with a 30-13 win over Hargrave Military before a crowd of 26,783. USA has 50 scholarship players, including linebacker Josh Chestang (Moss Point), wide out Bryant Lavender (Gulfport) and tight end Kevin Helms (Gulfport).

• 2 weeks later...

Schedule a game with Georgia State and Bill Curry

Georgia State starts football next year. They have a schedule set with one major problem: Alabama. Alabama wanted an easy game before their Iron Bowl match with Auburn, so, incredibly, they scheduled a first year program Georgia State. Georgia State gets $400 K for their troubles.

Only problem is that Georgia State is a transitioning FCS school, so a Georgia State victory doesn't count toward Alabama's bowl eligibility and messes with their BCS numbers. Alabama's athletic department screwed the pooch, and likely wanting another opponent for that date, may have to pay Georgia State for the release. A UND-GSU game for Nov 20th, 2010!

GEORGIA STATE'S 2010 FOOTBALL SCHEDULE:

Subject to Change. Home games at Georgia Dome

Sept. 2 Shorter (Thursday)

Sept. 18 Jacksonville State

Sept. 25 at Campbell

Oct. 2 Morehead State

Oct. 9 Savannah State

Oct. 16 North Carolina Central

Oct. 23 at Old Dominion

Oct. 30 at South Alabama

Nov. 13 Lambuth

Nov. 20 at Alabama

• 1 month later...

Well, I put this in another thread, but thought I'd throw it in here as well. With Northeastern dropping football, that may give UND a chance to add an eastern school to the 2010 schedule. Northeastern had a home game on Oct 16 with Rhode Island, and an away game on November 20 with James Madison. Out of those two, URI would have the better potential for a victory (and probably getting them for a home game), but if Faison could possible get a home/home out of JMU that would be a great series, as JMU is normally a very good football team. Another thing to consider is that SoDak St. has an opening on November 20th. I think that would garner a lot of regional interest for Sioux fans, especially since SDSU is in the playoffs this year. Plus, either JMU or SDSU on the 20th would give the Sioux their bye week right in the middle of the season, which would be better than finishing the regular season one week early.

I know Wayne had mentioned there isn't much news on an 11th game yet, but hopefully Faison is considering these possibilities and will reach out to the above mentioned schools.

Well, I put this in another thread, but thought I'd throw it in here as well. With Northeastern dropping football, that may give UND a chance to add an eastern school to the 2010 schedule. Northeastern had a home game on Oct 16 with Rhode Island, and an away game on November 20 with James Madison. Out of those two, URI would have the better potential for a victory (and probably getting them for a home game), but if Faison could possible get a home/home out of JMU that would be a great series, as JMU is normally a very good football team. Another thing to consider is that SoDak St. has an opening on November 20th. I think that would garner a lot of regional interest for Sioux fans, especially since SDSU is in the playoffs this year. Plus, either JMU or SDSU on the 20th would give the Sioux their bye week right in the middle of the season, which would be better than finishing the regular season one week early.

I know Wayne had mentioned there isn't much news on an 11th game yet, but hopefully Faison is considering these possibilities and will reach out to the above mentioned schools.

IIRC, we aren't scheduled to play Rocky's Northeastern U. squad. According to the UND website, we are scheduled to play Northeastern State.

Maybe I'm wrong?

My apologies. I misread this. I see what you are saying. Pick up someone from the old Northeastern schedule. My bad.

Schedule a game with Georgia State and Bill Curry

Georgia State starts football next year. They have a schedule set with one major problem: Alabama. Alabama wanted an easy game before their Iron Bowl match with Auburn, so, incredibly, they scheduled a first year program Georgia State. Georgia State gets $400 K for their troubles.

Only problem is that Georgia State is a transitioning FCS school, so a Georgia State victory doesn't count toward Alabama's bowl eligibility and messes with their BCS numbers. Alabama's athletic department screwed the pooch, and likely wanting another opponent for that date, may have to pay Georgia State for the release. A UND-GSU game for Nov 20th, 2010!

How about a UND-BAMA game for Nov 20th, 2010?

However...three FBS games (Idaho, Northern Illinois, Alabama) plus Montana in a season might be asking too much. Oh...I almost forgot...AND the Yotes on the road in the DANGER DOME.

Brutal.

However...three FBS games (Idaho, Northern Illinois, Alabama) plus Montana in a season might be asking too much. Oh...I almost forgot...AND the Yotes on the road in the DANGER DOME.

Brutal.

Use some of the Bama cash to pay off one of the other two and see if Georgia State has an off date on either of those dates to ensure they have an opponent. A game in Tuscaloosa would be a huge end of the season reward. About as big a get as you can have for an FBS game in terms of tradition and game day experience.

Brutal.

No way in hell UND ever faces Alabama, especially in 2010. For one, GSU's head coach Bill Curry was the head coach at Bama in the late 80's. The only reason GSU got the game & the $400k payout is because of him. Curry has ties w/ the Bama AD from his days there & at Georgia Tech. Secondly, isn't UND still considered a transitioning FCS so a victory over us wouldn't count towards Bama's bowl eligibility or BCS #'s, just like a victory over GSU??? Not that Bama has to worry about bowl-eligiblity but I'd think the BCS #'s would be very important being they should be a top 3 team next yr, if not the preseason#1.

Bama is expected to return at least 11 starters next yr. I'm not sure the beatdown they would put on us is even worth the $400k paycheck.

I'm all for a GSU game though.

No way in hell UND ever faces Alabama, especially in 2010. For one, GSU's head coach Bill Curry was the head coach at Bama in the late 80's. The only reason GSU got the game & the $400k payout is because of him. Secondly, isn't UND still considered a transitioning FCS so a victory over us wouldn't count towards Bama's bowl eligibility or BCS #'s, just like a victory over GSU??? Not that Bama has to worry about bowl-eligiblity but I'd think the BCS #'s would be very important being they should be a top 3 team next yr, if not the preseason#1.

Bama is expected to return at least 11 starters next yr. I'm not sure the beatdown they would put on us is even worth the $400k paycheck.

I'm all for a GSU game though.

UND will still be a transitioning school, but they already count towards bowl eligibility. That's why Texas Tech was willing to play this year. I don't have the rule handy, but I believe that it involves having an average of at least 90% of scholarships in place over a 2 year period. UND pumped up the scholarships so that they could be eligible to play FBS schools as quick as possible, which was this year.

UND never facing Alabama is a strong statement. The odds are pretty good that they won't play in 2010. Curry was the obvious connection for GSU. The thought seems to be that if Bama wanted to find an opponent to replace GSU as a counter, most schools will already be booked for late November. Most leagues are booked through that weekend, so there may not be a lot of options open if Bama needed to replace the game. But they can probably find a way to massage the schedule if they need to. So I think that they could find a better fit if they want.

I would love to see SDSU on the schedule!!!

UND will still be a transitioning school, but they already count towards bowl eligibility. That's why Texas Tech was willing to play this year. I don't have the rule handy, but I believe that it involves having an average of at least 90% of scholarships in place over a 2 year period. UND pumped up the scholarships so that they could be eligible to play FBS schools as quick as possible, which was this year.

UND never facing Alabama is a strong statement. The odds are pretty good that they won't play in 2010. Curry was the obvious connection for GSU. The thought seems to be that if Bama wanted to find an opponent to replace GSU as a counter, most schools will already be booked for late November. Most leagues are booked through that weekend, so there may not be a lot of options open if Bama needed to replace the game. But they can probably find a way to massage the schedule if they need to. So I think that they could find a better fit if they want.

Thanks for clarifying the transition rule... I should've read back in the thread a bit to see that.

I like where UND is going w/ the FBS games we have in the next few years. Obviously, Faison is using his WAC connections. Hopefully we can also get some Mountain West games outta it as well, as most of them are former WAC members, along w/ a few Conference USA teams that were in the WAC. UND should be able to compete w/ many of these teams. I don't like the idea of going to "body bag" games against upper level SEC, Big 10, Big 12 teams, just yet. Maybe after our transition is over. I do understand the big paychecks always are enticing & we did hold our own against TT. But I'd like to see these kept to a minimum for the next few years. Although some of the lower teams from FBS-bid Conferences would be great. But, the Alabama's, Ohio State's, etc just don't seem realistic right now to me.

If it's true that SDSU & UND both have Nov. 20th open next yr, then let's make it happen. 2 for 1, 1 & done, I don't care as long as we get a 2011 game.