SiouxSports.com Forum

NDSU vs. UND, 2009: Metrodome

MplsBison

That's right, my gut is telling me that Chapman and Kelley are working to get the NDSU/UND series rolling again in style: 2009 at the Metrodome.

Think about the fact that the Gophers will be gone starting in 2009. The Metrodome will have lost college football. Both schools have huge Minneapolis alumni bases and both Fargo and Grand Forks are justifiable drives from Mpls.

The game would sell 60k tickets every season, guaranteed. 30k NDSU, 30k UND.

It would be the Red River Shootout of the FCS. Ranked right near the top of single game attendance records in the division.

It's way too good of an opportunity to pass up. Both Chapman and Kelley know it.

And the game will easily make the FSN.

Might even get picked up by ABC national, if it gets big enough. Perhaps in 10 years if both schools are FBS.

• Replies 89
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

NDSU vs UND belongs in North Dakota, I am all for restarting the games but not at the expense of taking the game out of state.

There are so many fans here in Mpls that would come to a game here but don't have the time to make it up to Fargo or Grand Forks.

I don't see any problem with it.

That's right, my gut is telling me that Chapman and Kelley are working to get the NDSU/UND series rolling again in style: 2009 at the Metrodome.

Think about the fact that the Gophers will be gone starting in 2009. The Metrodome will have lost college football. Both schools have huge Minneapolis alumni bases and both Fargo and Grand Forks are justifiable drives from Mpls.

The game would sell 60k tickets every season, guaranteed. 30k NDSU, 30k UND.

It would be the Red River Shootout of the FCS. Ranked right near the top of single game attendance records in the division.

It's way too good of an opportunity to pass up. Both Chapman and Kelley know it.

And the game will easily make the FSN.

Might even get picked up by ABC national, if it gets big enough. Perhaps in 10 years if both schools are FBS.

It would be fine with me.

When did this turn into a SU message board? I liked it better when it was back-and-forth smack between us and them. This whole thing with Bison fans chatting with each other on a Fighting Sioux board just isn't right.

;)

By the way, I like when people think outside the box ( I hate that term), but let's keep the game on this side of the Red River. And let's get it going again quickly.

Sorry, but this idea is just as retarded as the idea that Mankato (in hockey) would host Minnesota at the XCel Energy Center.... only the XCel Energy Center would be located in Duluth.

The thing that most lament is that the Rivalry was very lucrative to the local economies depending upon where it was held (Grand Forks would benefit whenever it was held in GF, Fargo when it was in Fargo). Holding it at the Metrodome benefits Minneapolis area, if it does at all.

Unless the Metrodome is getting very little of the take, this is an idiotic move.

Sorry, but this idea is just as retarded as the idea that Mankato (in hockey) would host Minnesota at the XCel Energy Center.... only the XCel Energy Center would be located in Duluth.

The thing that most lament is that the Rivalry was very lucrative to the local economies depending upon where it was held (Grand Forks would benefit whenever it was held in GF, Fargo when it was in Fargo). Holding it at the Metrodome benefits Minneapolis area, if it does at all.

Unless the Metrodome is getting very little of the take, this is an idiotic move.

Oklahoma and Texas seem to do alright playing in Dallas.

That's BS.

You guys are going to get to see your teams the other 5-6 home games in Fargo and Grand Forks each.

How about all the alumni in Mpls who can't make it up for a game?

Why not give them an opportunity?

An opportunity? Why should the universities and corresponding cities have to lose revenue on a game that will obviously be a sell out so that alumni in Minneapolis can be closer to a game?

That's not how it works.

If you want to see the game, any game for that matter, you get to the game. The game doesn't come to you automatically.

An opportunity? Why should the universities and corresponding cities have to lose revenue on a game that will obviously be a sell out so that alumni in Minneapolis can be closer to a game?

You're wrong if you think they'd be losing revenue.

They'd both be gaining more revenue than if the game was at NDSU or UND.

Obviously the Metrodome has no barganing leverage. They'd get a small cut of the action.

But the majority of the 60k tickets sold would go to NDSU and UND.

Plus a big TV contract from FSN or whoever.

Big money.

Did something happen to I-94? Did they make it a one-way, where you can only go from ND into the Cities?

It's still a 3-4 hour drive to Fargo, 4-5 to GF, meaning 6-10 hours of driving if you plan to do it in one day, hotel costs if you plan to do it in two.

And with gas prices, forget it.

Not all of us have a 3000 sq. foot "cabin" on Minnetonka, like you do Geaux.

It's still a 3-4 hour drive to Fargo, 4-5 to GF, meaning 6-10 hours of driving if you plan to do it in one day, hotel costs if you plan to do it in two.

I missed the news report when they moved Lake Minnetonka to Florida. ;)

That'd be the same for me if I was to travel from Minot to Minneapolis.

You guys would get your 5-6 other opportunities to drive to GF and Fargo.

Only those who truly want to see the NDSU/UND need make the trip to the cities. It will be rockin' all weekend long, that's for sure. Taking over every bar in the metro.

I think MplsBison is on to something. Wish I had posted this idea myself. Furthermore, both campuses are almost within a stone's throw of Minnesota, the Red River of the North being where it is. What's the big deal geographically? Why not give it a try? Let's think outside the box. Perhaps the winner then of this game would be in line to host the first game between the archrivals when the series returns to North Dakota, much in the same manner that the winner of major league baseball's All-Star game gets to have home field advantage for the World Series. I also like the idea of calling it the Red River Shootout. There's more than one Red River in this Good Old U.S. of A. Great idea, MplsBison.