SiouxSports.com Forum

2008-2009 Sioux Hockey Roster

Chuck Schwartz

I didn't know Gregoire was a French last name!

I've heard that name pronounced "Gre-gore" by some and "Greg-wah" (French) by others up in Can-na-dah, eh?

Kind of the same thing as the (soft g) Genoway, sounding like "Jenoway" as Colby used it, or (hard g) Genoway as in Chay Genoway.

• Replies 358
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hello everyone, I am back. After a summer of travels without checking my blackberry every few minutes on friday and saturday nights or shutting myself in with the internet feed or spending money on flat beer and mediocre grub at Joe's, I am once again psyched for those special 6 months that are Sioux hockey :silly: .

We have a good mix of talented freshmen and proven veterans.

Knowing little about the rookies other than a few highlights, the scouting reports and their stats in junior; here is my conjecture.

Scoring 1: Trupp with Duncan and Gregoire

Scoring 2: Vande with Watkins and Kozek

Checking: Zajac with Martens and Davidson

Scoring 3: Hextall with Toews and Frattin

Scratches: Miller, Lamoureaux and Malone

D1: Finley and Genoway

D2: Jones and Marto

D3: Blood/Fienhage and Lapoint

Scratches: Fienhage or Blood

Goalie: starts with a rotation between Walski and Eidsness

I put Trupp with Duncs on the top line, because I want to keep Vande and Watkins together. Trupp is also a very creative player that could certainly set-up Duncs for a bunch of right circle wristers. Gregoire was the POY in the USHL, lets see if those skills translate to the WCHA. Playing him with Trupp and Duncs should put him in the best position possible to succeed.

Vande and Watkins are the dynamic duo out there. The best forecheckers on the team. LEt's put the sniper with the rocket wrister on that line and see if they can convert the silly cycle into some opportunities for Andrew. Watkins speed, Vande in the corner, Kozek's release, Vande picking up any rebounds.

Davidson's size and hustle last year impressed me enough to put him on the checking line. Darcy just does what he's asked, and Martens showed good instincts and hard work last year. I actually really like this line. I think they can bust some ribs without screwing the pooch.

My third scoring line is full of potential. I like the fact that it is three guys with scoring touch who have yet to prove themselves. I look for any or all three of these guys to replace skaters on the top two lines throughout the season based on who's showing what at practice and in the games.

Defensive pairings, well I tried to match a puck mover with a body mover. Puck movers: Chay is going to need to do what he did last year and then some with Taylor gone. I like what I saw in Marto at the end of the year. Lapoint has yet to wow me, but I am giving him the benefit of the doubt from being concussed. Body Movers: Joe, well if seven figures isn't enough incentive to play up to his potential, I don't know what is. Jones is just a quiet rock back there. Blood and Fienhage both come in highly regarded. They could bump someone and both be playing in November.

I think Walski and Eidsness rotate until one plays poorly. I think Eidsness is eventually the guy.

This team has talent. I think it has leadership. I put letters on Duncs, Chay and Watty. This is going to b e fun to see how this group coheses.

Hello everyone, I am back. After a summer of travels without checking my blackberry every few minutes on friday and saturday nights or shutting myself in with the internet feed or spending money on flat beer and mediocre grub at Joe's, I am once again psyched for those special 6 months that are Sioux hockey :silly: .

Knowing little about the rookies other than a few highlights, the scouting reports and their stats in junior; here is my conjecture.

Davidson will not play over Malone.

I put Trupp with Duncs on the top line, because I want to keep Vande and Watkins together. Trupp is also a very creative player that could certainly set-up Duncs for a bunch of right circle wristers. Gregoire was the POY in the USHL, lets see if those skills translate to the WCHA. Playing him with Trupp and Duncs should put him in the best position possible to succeed.

Vande and Watkins are the dynamic duo out there. The best forecheckers on the team. LEt's put the sniper with the rocket wrister on that line and see if they can convert the silly cycle into some opportunities for Andrew. Watkins speed, Vande in the corner, Kozek's release, Vande picking up any rebounds.

Davidson's size and hustle last year impressed me enough to put him on the checking line. Darcy just does what he's asked, and Martens showed good instincts and hard work last year. I actually really like this line. I think they can bust some ribs without screwing the pooch.

My third scoring line is full of potential. I like the fact that it is three guys with scoring touch who have yet to prove themselves. I look for any or all three of these guys to replace skaters on the top two lines throughout the season based on who's showing what at practice and in the games.

Defensive pairings, well I tried to match a puck mover with a body mover. Puck movers: Chay is going to need to do what he did last year and then some with Taylor gone. I like what I saw in Marto at the end of the year. Lapoint has yet to wow me, but I am giving him the benefit of the doubt from being concussed. Body Movers: Joe, well if seven figures isn't enough incentive to play up to his potential, I don't know what is. Jones is just a quiet rock back there. Blood and Fienhage both come in highly regarded. They could bump someone and both be playing in November.

I think Walski and Eidsness rotate until one plays poorly. I think Eidsness is eventually the guy.

This team has talent. I think it has leadership. I put letters on Duncs, Chay and Watty. This is going to b e fun to see how this group coheses.

I wouldn't be suprised if they kept Kozek and Duncan together from the end of last year. VV would be a great fit in the middle - he has improved every year and could be ready to be our #1 center.

It also wouldn't shock me if Trupp, Gregoire and Toews ended up on a line together - alot of energy there.

I won't even try to venture a guess as to what the line combinations will be, especially when you factor in Hak's love to switch things up. The one thing I do disagree with though is the fact that Martens is put with the checking line. He is not that style of player and while I really wouldn't be saddened if his role was diminished, I don't think you put him on a checking line when the lineup is already full of guys who would be better at it. Also, look for Lamoureaux to displace Hextall and I would not bench Malone either. Any way you slice it, there should be alot of great possible combos out there.

I won't even try to venture a guess as to what the line combinations will be, especially when you factor in Hak's love to switch things up. The one thing I do disagree with though is the fact that Martens is put with the checking line. He is not that style of player and while I really wouldn't be saddened if his role was diminished, I don't think you put him on a checking line when the lineup is already full of guys who would be better at it. Also, look for Lamoureaux to displace Hextall and I would not bench Malone either. Any way you slice it, there should be alot of great possible combos out there.

I agree. No one really knows who will play. It depends on their performance. However, I suspect that Davidson will have a tough time cracking the line up. Hextall was one of the top 10 players in Canadian Junior hockey last year, and he was a very good player in a league (BCHL) that is far superior to the league that Davidson played in (MJHL). The MJHL is a notch below the NAHL, and NAHL kids don't usually get a lot of playing time at UND. Hextall and Malone were recruited kids on scholarship, and Davidson is a recruited walk-on. Lamoureux is a skilled kid who may surprise you. Don't let his numbers fool you--he played for a very defensive-minded coach in the USHL, but he's tough and he can score. I suspect that he will play before Davidson as well, but he will have a tough time beating out Hextall and Malone. I am told that Hextall is a Prpich type player with more scoring touch. If that's the case, he will play and will soon be a fan favorite. Martens will clearly play before Davidson. He plays with a lot of heart, is an upperclassman, and is one of the most improved players. Miller is the wild card. He's very skilled offensively, but he needs some work defensively and in physical play. I suspect that he will be given every opportunity to play because of his offensive abilities and because he's an upperclassman.

it will be very interesting to see who sits. i will guess davidson, miller and lamoureux and then maybe a different guy sits satuday nights all depending on performances and injries ect....but what the hell do i know, not much :silly:

will be fun to see the new guys..........eidsness will be the X factor

i see vande velde with a big year playing with some nice linemates. duncan will crack 40 points again without the O and the T :silly: kozek will be mid 30's with 20 goals. gregoire and toews in the 30's in points. D-TOEWS ROY-wcha. vande 40 plus points with genoway being the top point getter on the blueline

Lamoureux is a skilled kid who may surprise you. Don't let his numbers fool you--he played for a very defensive-minded coach in the USHL, but he's tough and he can score. I suspect that he will play before Davidson as well, but he will have a tough time beating out Hextall and Malone. I am told that Hextall is a Prpich type player with more scoring touch. If that's the case, he will play and will soon be a fan favorite. Martens will clearly play before Davidson. He plays with a lot of heart, is an upperclassman, and is one of the most improved players. Miller is the wild card. He's very skilled offensively, but he needs some work defensively and in physical play. I suspect that he will be given every opportunity to play because of his offensive abilities and because he's an upperclassman.

Mario Lamoureux is also a pretty tough cookie I have a video of a fight he was in and he can bring it.

I am actually pretty excited about Mario and Hextal being a member of the Sioux.

Check this out, this is the type of player he is...

Courtesy: FightingSioux.com

Release: 09/14/2008

Before UND: A 2007 graduate of Grand Forks Central High School ... Spent the past four seasons with the Tri-City Storm of the USHL ... The franchise

The younger Lamoureux is also a pretty tough cookie.

Mario is the youngest of the boys and is the freshman at UND that I was referring to. If that is who were referring to, you are right. PJ is 1 year older, but cannot play college because he played Major Juniors in Red Deer. Jacque was the one at Northern Michigan and then transferred to Air Force. The girls are the youngest, and they are at UMTC. They might be the toughest of all. :silly:

I may be FIGHTING SIOUX biased, but here are my thoughts on the line pairings:

We have a very talented group of upperclassmen with a HIGH potential bunch of fresh. and sophs!!! The lines will rotate - as they always do - but, Hak and co. will do their best to put the best lines out there based on previous performances and practices. That being said:

At Home (with final say on line pairing):

Our top line will skate all over opponents (3) and (4) lines... Duncan will center and have the best cast to put up big numbers

Line #2 will outskate the slowest line of opponents, and VV will be the centerpiece of many scoring plays.

Line 3 or 4 (not the checking line) will play consistant hockey against opponent (1) and (2) lines, and have some big contributions throughout - although, they will also be slowed at times.

The checking line will hold-up many WCHA teams (1) ans (2) lines with big hits and defensive stands.

All-in-all we should be high scoring at home with Dunc and VV fighting for a league/national scoring title....

On the road:

Other teams will try to match our speed and scoring ability on lines (1) and (2) with minimal success. We will have low scoring games, but may make up for it on the blue line and with some "new" scoring threats from the middle line. Also, it will be tough for teams to match their scoring line with one of our bottom two - as UND will have some "new" scorers which they may have to focus on more than their own scoring threat. On the road we will score a littl less than at home, but a defensive mind will help us win some close ones.

Eidsness will start working Friday's with Walski doing the clean-up on Saturday.. Somewhere mid-season one will prove himself (or the other be hurt) and bring us deep into the national playoff picture.

I love the chance to watch Hextall - grit with a scoring touch, and Gregoire, who may be the rookie of the year if he can come close to matching what he has done in the past.

MVP - Duncan

MVP - Runner up - VV

Rookie - Gregoire

Rookie runner-up - Towes (will be a lot better next year, although a stud this year)

Goalie - I am riding the Eidsness bandwagon

Defensive MVP - Jones steps it up to elite

Defensive runner-up - I see Malone becoming a fixture (against a lot of Sioux Sports predictions)

Mario is the youngest of the boys and is the freshman at UND that I was referring to. If that is who were referring to, you are right. PJ is 1 year older, but cannot play college because he played Major Juniors in Red Deer. Jacque was the one at Northern Michigan and then transferred to Air Force. The girls are the youngest, and they are at UMTC. They might be the toughest of all. ;)

Yep I mean Mario, I was in the middle of an ADHD moment. :silly:

i see vande velde with a big year playing with some nice linemates. duncan will crack 40 points again without the O and the T :) kozek will be mid 30's with 20 goals. gregoire and toews in the 30's in points. D-TOEWS ROY-wcha. vande 40 plus points with genoway being the top point getter on the blueline

Kozek's goal is for 30 this year

he can do it! he had 20 last year and has spurts when he was really cold so its possible with his sniper of a shot

Personally I'd be surprised if anyone on this team eclipsed 30 goals. I think it's more likely to see three guys hit 20+ (Duncan, Vande, Kozek), two hit 15+ (Trupp, Gregoire), and three hit +10 (Watkins, Toews, Genoway).

Just have a feeling that the scoring will be rather balanced from this team. I predict 150+ goals for the season.

I'd like to see Frattin step up this year and hit double figures too.

Remember the big goal numbers generally have a lot to do with speacial teams chances. I see the special teams shooters being Duncs and Kozek. That will keep gregoire and Toews' numbes down a little, but I agree this team should be balanced

I actually would be surprised if one of those two isn't on the second power play unit looking at it now...

I mean you can split Duncan and Kozek up but if you let Vandevelde work the front and set those two up on the wings they can each work in the corner and then get Genoway out on the point with say Marto then you got some good puck movers out there everyone except for Kozek is a pretty good set up guy.

For the second unit I like Watkins, Trupp and Gregoire(Frattin if he can step up with some G's this year) because we've seen what Trupp can do out there and Watkins works his butt off all the time but granted we havent seen Gregoire play but assuming he would be an upgrade over Miller or Martens offensively I would like our second line with some hard workers and playmakers. For D on second unit maybe Finley with LaPoint or a different combination. Just one mans point of view.

For the second unit I like Watkins, Trupp and Gregoire(Frattin if he can step up with some G's this year) because we've seen what Trupp can do out there and Watkins works his butt off all the time but granted we havent seen Gregoire play but assuming he would be an upgrade over Miller or Martens offensively I would like our second line with some hard workers and playmakers.

That's one long sentence there. :(