SiouxSports.com Forum

2008-2009 Sioux Hockey Roster

Chuck Schwartz

:silly:

Walski didn't play last year because JPL was one of the most consistent goalies in the NCAA all season.

I have faith that Walski and Eidsness will be fine in net this upcoming year.

People need to chill. The Sioux are going to be a tough team this year. Great defense, better offense than most are giving credit for here (all aboard the Trupp Express!), and we might as well ride a freshman goalie to a national title. :silly:

I completely agree! I think we are sitting pretty good, and I feel good about the team we are attacking with this year. Oh, and I think Trupp is going to come out blazing... i only think we saw a tiny glimpse of what he's capable of. All that said, I'm super excited and wish hockey season would hurry up and get here already!

• Replies 358
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I too am very excited about this year's team. The offense has great potential, IMO, and the defense should be just as good as last year's. Marto and LaPointe both have good offensive skills to go along with Genoway, and the best pure D-man of recent years is still there (Jones). Goaltending is a question, but when is it not? Goalies are strange creatures, and having one good year does not mean another good year (or, more importantly, playoff) will follow. It is a different matter to have a goalie coach who can somehow deliver virtually every year, like Bill Howard has.

But that's one of the really good things about hockey at this level. You really can't fugure the sum by just adding the parts. Leadership, off-ice issues, injuries, players accepting their roles--so many things figure into what the team looks like after the Holidays. Some past Sioux teams ('98, '99) and the recent gophs are good examples of how great talent might not get you past the first round in March.

I guess what attracts me about this team is that there are so many highly talented (maybe not elite) players that they could be dangerous for 3 shifts out of 4. The locker room attitude might be overrated in pro sports, but not so much in college. If some leadership emerges on this team and all these talented guys can buy into Hak's fundamentals-and-team-defense-first approach, they could be a real treat to watch, IMO.

And I'm another one who can't wait to see Trupp back on the ice.

I have to admit that the arm chair is getting a little cumfy lately. So I guess I will throw my 2 cents into the hat as well. I am going to differ a bit and perhaps some will consider it a cop out - but I am not sure that good teams have weak links, average teams do, and certainly poor teams do - but not good ones. I think we will have a good team with areas of opportunity presenting themselves as the year progresses. I think I heard that line from Obama! In any case, looking back to last year we averaged about 3 goals per game and our opponents averaged about 1.86. In the previous year we averaged 3.55 goals to our opponents 2.7. JPL had a lot to do with the difference in the difference in goals scored by our opponents. But interestingly, with the fall off in opponents goals - so did ours. Last year BC (damn them!) started a goalie fresh out of high school (not a minute in juniors) and he played every second that they had a goalie on the ice who at the end of the year was ranked 19th in both goals against (2.26) and in save percentage (.920). However, offensively BC ranked number 3 in scoring (I know they may have played cup cakes but I think they scored 6 against us) with an average of 3.51 goals per game. That being said, Mr. Muse was phenomenol down the stretch. I say this because I think we need to be patient as the year progresses. I am more concerned about our offensive output than I am about our defense on the ice. I think that either goalie can do the job and really shouldn't be the focus of our concern. The real concern should be finding the appropriate offensive line chemistry that puts points on the board. If we can average 3.1 goals a game the season should be a lot of fun. If we average less than that - I am afraid it could be a frustrating year.

You got all that from a blog's comment section?

Who's to say the job isn't Walski's to lose? Have you seen the off-season workouts? Have you seen the on-ice practices? How has Walski looked? Is Eidsness even in GF yet? Have you compared them side by side? How many games have you witnessed either goalie play? And what about Harrington? You state: "will no doubt get very little (if any) game experience" How do you know this? I have no idea who the goalie will be this year for the Sioux. That is why coaches coach; players play; and fans get to watch, whine, bitch, and cheer.

Did Hakstol tell you about there being a goalie rotation this year? I bet he doesn't even know if there will be one; and the chances of him asking for approval from the fans is pretty much nil.

yes, he is....Schlossman told us that awhile ago

Lamoureux, Eidsness Enroll Early

Why we haven't gone after another top goalie is a mystery. I hope it doesn't come back to bite us. Our goalie recruitment philosophy is a mystery. What do they see in Walski that others don't see. Walski is a hard working practice goalie in my book.

I have the same concerns. I don't have a lot hope/faith in Walski the kid has played 1 1/2 games in three season and if he was good enough he would have played at least in spot starts.

I have the same concerns. I don't have a lot hope/faith in Walski the kid has played 1 1/2 games in three season and if he was good enough he would have played at least in spot starts.

It's a wait and see thing to me. If Walski pulls a Curry (BU's late goaltender that went from recruited walk on to starting goaltender), I'll be very impressed, but I don't believe in seniority rules nor the local boy mentality.

I don't give a damn where anyone on our team is from, as long as Hak and Co. feel that they have the ability to help the Sioux win games. I don't care if that person is a true freshman or a fifth year senior either.

EDIT: Removed Nathan Lieuwen. Apparently the WHL got to him first.

If what matters most to you is the last two letters of a player's hometown, (Anytown, MN, or Anytown, ND) might I recommend becoming a fan of a certain maroon and gold team from the banks of the Mississippi. :silly:

A team is not about where the players are from;

A team is about where the players came together and are going together.

The bad news:

UND's three roster goalies have a total of one collegiate start.

The good news:

Walski's one start was a 1-0 shutout.

Eidsness just
cleaned up on a bunch of AJHL awards
and
draws some interesting comparisons
to a past Hobey winner:

This isn't the first time that the Sabres used a fifth-round pick on a Junior "A" goalie on his way to the college game. Back in 1999, Ryan Miller was chosen 138th overall out of the NAHL. Miller used his collegiate minutes at Michigan State to develop into a Hobey Baker winner, and later an NHL All-Star.

And Harrington just took his Dryden team to an SIJHL championship with a playoff 0.917 save percentage and a 2.59 GAA (regular season: 0.904, 2.95).

One of these three will see, and act on, this for what it is: A massive opportunity to be "the man".

If what matters most to you is the last two letters of a player's hometown, (Anytown, MN, or Anytown, ND) might I recommend becoming a fan of a certain maroon and gold team from the banks of the Mississippi. :silly:

A team is not about where the players are from;

A team is about where the players came together and are going together.

That was beautiful... :silly:

I think we have paid a high price to have Walski as a senior with one game under his belt on our roster. We lost a good young goalie and haven't recruited a stud until Eidsness. We are one injury away from disaster. Does anyone think that Walski can carry the load in the WCHA? If so why didn't he play last year. Why we haven't gone after another top goalie is a mystery. I hope it doesn't come back to bite us. Our goalie recruitment philosophy is a mystery. What do they see in Walski that others don't see. He is a hard working practice goalie in my book.

"Stud" goalies are hard to find to begin with - having 2 on your team is very rare these days. Usually high-end goalies want to play, not ride the bench. They will want playing time.

You could say UMN had 2 highly rated goalies last year: Frazee and Kangas. (I know - Frazee stunk as a Gopher but he was a highly rated goalie coming in as a frosh)

I bet the UMN coaching staff whispered to Kangas that there was a great chance he would see a lot of ice time, even with Frazee there.

The reason Walski didn't play last year was because JPL was on fire...He kept us in games with huge saves on 2 on 1's, 3 on 1's and so on...

JPL bailed the Sioux out of many games when they were outnumbered sometimes 8-3 in power play disadvantages...That is why Walski sat...JPL was a senior and deserved every start (IMO)...

At the time I liked Hak's decision to start JPL all season, and still do now too...I think worry about next season, next season...

For the record I have been following the Sioux since 04, that is when I came to GF...Hak has been to 4 straight Frozen Fours...Whatever he decides to do, I totally agree...

"Hak 4 Prez"...

Rich T

"Stud" goalies are hard to find to begin with - having 2 on your team is very rare these days. Usually high-end goalies want to play, not ride the bench. They will want playing time.

You could say UMN had 2 highly rated goalies last year: Frazee and Kangas. (I know - Frazee stunk as a Gopher but he was a highly rated goalie coming in as a frosh)

I bet the UMN coaching staff whispered to Kangas that there was a great chance he would see a lot of ice time, even with Frazee there.

I'm not sure I understand the first part of your post. Are you saying UND has two stud goaltenders on their team? If so, I'd have to say that I can't agree with that right now.

I honestly don't know what we have in goal.

Walski is a hard worker, yes. A team player, yes. A goaltender who was brought in as a 3rd stringer and worked his way into position for playing time this year, yes. But is he a stud? Can't really say that. Some would argue no, because a stud goaltender would have more than 1.5 GP by his senior year. I can't tell you what Walski brings in game time situations against teams that would be tough like DU, CC, UW, UMN, or even SCSU.

Eidsness looks to be a top notch recruit. Even so, that has shown recently to be good only on paper. Bachman was a good recruit, no doubt, but he wasn't expected to be as good as he turned out to be his freshman year. On the other side of the coin, Frazee was supposed to come in his freshman year and be a stud goaltender thanks to countless stellar performances in juniors and internationally. It didn't happen.

Harrington is a complete unknown. He comes from a league I've never heard of (SIJHL) and I'm not sure how many of us have heard of. He's 20 or 21 as a freshman so he is more mature than Eidsness, though. Who knows with this guy.

Very up in the air if you ask me.

I'm not sure I understand the first part of your post. Are you saying UND has two stud goaltenders on their team? If so, I'd have to say that I can't agree with that right now.

I honestly don't know what we have in goal.

Walski is a hard worker, yes. A team player, yes. A goaltender who was brought in as a 3rd stringer and worked his way into position for playing time this year, yes. But is he a stud? Can't really say that. Some would argue no, because a stud goaltender would have more than 1.5 GP by his senior year. I can't tell you what Walski brings in game time situations against teams that would be tough like DU, CC, UW, UMN, or even SCSU.

Eidsness looks to be a top notch recruit. Even so, that has shown recently to be good only on paper. Bachman was a good recruit, no doubt, but he wasn't expected to be as good as he turned out to be his freshman year. On the other side of the coin, Frazee was supposed to come in his freshman year and be a stud goaltender thanks to countless stellar performances in juniors and internationally. It didn't happen.

Harrington is a complete unknown. He comes from a league I've never heard of (SIJHL) and I'm not sure how many of us have heard of. He's 20 or 21 as a freshman so he is more mature than Eidsness, though. Who knows with this guy.

Very up in the air if you ask me.

I was referencing this -

QUOTE (Irish @ Aug 15 2008, 11:25 PM)

I think we have paid a high price to have Walski as a senior with one game under his belt on our roster. We lost a good young goalie and haven't recruited a stud until Eidsness. We are one injury away from disaster. Does anyone think that Walski can carry the load in the WCHA? If so why didn't he play last year. Why we haven't gone after another top goalie is a mystery. I hope it doesn't come back to bite us. Our goalie recruitment philosophy is a mystery. What do they see in Walski that others don't see. He is a hard working practice goalie in my book

I was referencing this -

QUOTE (Irish @ Aug 15 2008, 11:25 PM)

I think we have paid a high price to have Walski as a senior with one game under his belt on our roster. We lost a good young goalie and haven't recruited a stud until Eidsness. We are one injury away from disaster. Does anyone think that Walski can carry the load in the WCHA? If so why didn't he play last year. Why we haven't gone after another top goalie is a mystery. I hope it doesn't come back to bite us. Our goalie recruitment philosophy is a mystery. What do they see in Walski that others don't see. He is a hard working practice goalie in my book

Well, I had thought about Nathan Lieuwen as the next UND goaltender after Walski leaves, but he played 3 games in the WHL before leaving for the BCHL, so he's a 2009 recruit who'd have to sit out until 2010. Sad really, because he just helped Team Canada win gold at the Hlinka tourney.

I also thought about Joe Howe of the USHL. However, he just committed to CC.

I think a lot depends upon this year. Our goaltending recruiting philosophy is a mystery, true. I have no idea who is good out there.

Well, I had thought about Nathan Lieuwen as the next UND goaltender after Walski leaves, but he played 3 games in the WHL before leaving for the BCHL, so he's a 2009 recruit who'd have to sit out until 2010. Sad really, because he just helped Team Canada win gold at the Hlinka tourney.

I think a lot depends upon this year. Our goaltending recruiting philosophy is a mystery, true. I have no idea who is good out there.

There is no mystery re: goaltending.

Again - my point is that is hard to have more than one highly rated goalie on campus. No high end goalie (or their NHL draft/family advisor/parents) wants to sit - they want to play. UMN was in a unique situation - they had no confidence in the veteren stud (Frazee) and they brought in Kangas knowing he would have to play if Frazee continued to unimpress.

Mike Lee wouldn't want to come here and sit for a year - he wants to play.

No mystery.

Does anyone know if we are looking at Joey Rewucki from the Winnipeg Trashers?

http://www.winnipegsun.com/Sports/Columnis...20/4733062.html

Although I prescribe to the no stud goalie wants to sit mentality, a couple of situations next door cause me to pause. Assuming that those folks that do the drafting in the NHL know a bit about the game it is interesting to note that the goofs backup tender (Patterson) was drafted #113 while Kangas (the expected starter) went #135. For comparitive purposes, Eidsness went #139. By the same token, at UMD Brady Hjelle is coming on board as one of the best tenders in the USHL to start the season on the bench. It is hard to believe that two of the best tenders in the USHL, one spitten distance from UND, are starting their freshman year on the bench! Does the Sioux have a goalie coach? Is it Jackson, Eades, Koberinski, or is this a position that Hak doesn't see as important?

Does the Sioux have a goalie coach? Is it Jackson, Eades, Koberinski, or is this a position that Hak doesn't see as important?

In general, the goalie doesn't have much impact to each game, or to a team over the course of the season, so Hakstol doesn't have a need to have a goaltender coach. So why would Hakstol see the goaltending position as important when it doesn't really factor into the outcome of the game much?

Honestly, you could run 3 forwards, 3 dmen, and no goalie out on the ice. Just put the middle dman in front of the net when in the defensive zone. That would work for most situations. If you were playing a team without a lot of offensive talent, you could switch it up and run 4 forwards and 2 dmen. That would confuse the other team and generate a lot of offensive chances.

Although I prescribe to the no stud goalie wants to sit mentality, a couple of situations next door cause me to pause. Assuming that those folks that do the drafting in the NHL know a bit about the game it is interesting to note that the goofs backup tender (Patterson) was drafted #113 while Kangas (the expected starter) went #135. For comparitive purposes, Eidsness went #139. By the same token, at UMD Brady Hjelle is coming on board as one of the best tenders in the USHL to start the season on the bench. It is hard to believe that two of the best tenders in the USHL, one spitten distance from UND, are starting their freshman year on the bench! Does the Sioux have a goalie coach? Is it Jackson, Eades, Koberinski, or is this a position that Hak doesn't see as important?

I think a team HAS to have two (2) good goalies and think UND will have to recruit another good goalie next year after Walski graudates. I don't buy this mentality that we have to go with just one goalie, a team needs to have two goalies in case of injury.

I'm sorry.

Did I miss the updated schedule?

Did my season ticket package short me a few games?

You see, I'm confused on how everyone already knows how Walski (1 career start), Eidsness, and Harrington will respond to playing collegiate hockey as potentially the number one goalie.

In general, the goalie doesn't have much impact to each game, or to a team over the course of the season, so Hakstol doesn't have a need to have a goaltender coach. So why would Hakstol see the goaltending position as important when it doesn't really factor into the outcome of the game much?

Honestly, you could run 3 forwards, 3 dmen, and no goalie out on the ice. Just put the middle dman in front of the net when in the defensive zone. That would work for most situations. If you were playing a team without a lot of offensive talent, you could switch it up and run 4 forwards and 2 dmen. That would confuse the other team and generate a lot of offensive chances.

I hope you were kidding otherwise you know nothing about hockey and should stick to posting opinions on the basketball threads. While a team doesn't have to have an outstanding goaltender to win a championship, they do need a capable one. I don't care how many or how talented the other positions are, you have to have a goalie to win!

I hope you were kidding otherwise you know nothing about hockey and should stick to posting opinions on the basketball threads. While a team doesn't have to have an outstanding goaltender to win a championship, they do need a capable one. I don't care how many or how talented the other positions are, you have to have a goalie to win!

im pretty sure he was kidding. if the tongue and smiley face didnt give it away, the absurdness of his sarcastic comments should have :silly:

I'm sorry.

You see, I'm confused on how everyone already knows how Walski (1 career start), Eidsness, and Harrington will respond to playing collegiate hockey as potentially the number one goalie.

Hey. We know, and we pretend to know. This time of year, we mostly pretend, but we still know. That much you should know.

I'm sorry.

I guess we forgot to send you the memo. :silly: