SiouxSports.com Forum

FROZEN FOUR - 4 in a row for the Sioux

AZSIOUX

Fighting Sioux heads of state

About 640,000 people reside in North Dakota, but the Fighting Sioux average 11,709 fans per home game, or 303 more than the listed seating capacity.

"There's nothing bigger in the state than Fighting Sioux hockey," said Josh Morton, director of the school's alumni association. "It's something for North Dakotans to take pride in because it competes on the national stage."

The school has season-ticket holders from as far away as Williston, which is a 340-mile drive from Grand Forks, mostly on two-lane roads. Watching the Fighting Sioux reach the Frozen Four on a regular basis helps warm the brutal winters.

That's why the news of their star players' return was so significant. It was not unlike Florida's top four players deciding a few years ago to return for a run at consecutive NCAA basketball championships, which they won.

The fandom stretches to Denver, where more than 3,600 North Dakota alumni live, according to school officials. Many will try to squeeze inside Brooklyn's restaurant across from the Pepsi Center for a pregame Fighting Sioux rally today. All 137 seats on a charter flight from Grand Forks were sold out within hours.

• Replies 301
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Lamoureux stands tall in North Dakota net
Lamoureux has the best goals-against average in the country (1.64), the best save percentage (.936), and the last time he played, he stopped 79 of 82 shots at the Midwest Regional to put the Sioux into the Frozen Four. Lamoureux made a season-high 38 saves in a 5-1 win over Princeton, then trumped himself with 41 saves in a 3-2 overtime victory over Wisconsin in the championship game. He was named the regional's most outstanding player.

Eagles confident they'll measure up
Western teams have a history of being difficult to play against because of their size and strength, and North Dakota is no exception. T.J. Oshie, who leads the Fighting Sioux in scoring (18-25 -43), is 6 feet, 192 pounds, while Chris VandeVelde, third in points (15-17 -32), is 6-2, 204. The Eagles counter with grit to go with a terrific scoring touch. Their top two scorers - Nathan Gerbe and Joe Whitney - are 5-5 and 5-6, respectively, and neither weighs more than 165 pounds.

Magic in the air as BC goes for hat trick against North Dakota

The forecast for inside the Pepsi Center in Denver tonight calls for ... what?

A rain of toads?

A cloud of locust?

Maybe a zombie army will hijack the Zambonis.

Really, would anyone be surprised at this point?

Boston College and North Dakota will square off for the third straight year in the Frozen Four semifinals.

Their two previous meetings were barn-burners

Muse plays like seasoned veteran

Riding the 'stache. :D

The Sioux have embraced a twist on the traditional "playoff beard" grown by many athletes in the postseason for luck. The North Dakota players have chosen to go with moustaches, giving them something of an '80s look.

"We've gone with the beards the last few years and it hasn't quite got us over the hump," said Taylor Chorney, whose Sioux have lost to Boston College in the semifinals for two consecutive years, "so this year we decided to try something new and go with the moustaches."

Apparently some fathers, who wore those moustaches in the '80s in earnest, have joined in. "My coach, Cary Eades, he rocks the moustache," Chorney said. "My dad, too." Marc Chorney was a defenseman for North Dakota's 1980 national champions.

"Some of us aren't as fortunate to be able to contribute to this," said goalie Jean-Philippe Lamoureux, whose moustache is a wispy thing. "It's something fun, it kind of brings the guys together. Keeps everyone loose."

"It's pretty nonexistent," T.J. Oshie said of his moustache.

"And that's three weeks' growth," Chorney cracked.

I won't be able to go to Denver OR watch the games at The Ralph... I didn't think I was going to be able to watch the games at all since I was deployed.

But I just found out the good news: the BC/UND game will be on @ 1000 tomorrow morning (tape delay) and the title game will be on live at 2:00am.

AFN actually got something right, thank god.

BTW, first post :D

I won't be able to go to Denver OR watch the games at The Ralph... I didn't think I was going to be able to watch the games at all since I was deployed.

But I just found out the good news: the BC/UND game will be on @ 1000 tomorrow morning (tape delay) and the title game will be on live at 2:00am.

Welcome! Glad to hear you can watch the games after all. Thanks for your service.

You said AFN do you mean Armed Forces Network? If so where are you stationed? Also, thank you for serving this great nation. I remember watching AFN when I was in the army and they used to show NHL games once in a while. During the Gulf War we befriended the people at AFN at Khobar Towers and were able to watch the Stars and Pens.

Edited by Goon

You said AFN do you mean Armed Forces Network? If so where are you stationed? Also, thank you for serving this great nation. I remember watching AFN when I was in the army and they used to show NHL games once in a while. During the Gulf War we befriended the people at AFN at Khobar Towers and were able to watch the Stars and Pens.

Goon are you in Denver?