SiouxSports.com Forum

Gopher win.

flatspin7

Despite the occasional venom spewed and the fact that we vote for opposing teams, something tells me that most of us would probably get along rather well hanging out and having a beer... shooting the s**t rather than shooting each other. ;)

• Replies 143
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Despite the occasional venom spewed and the fact that we vote for opposing teams, something tells me that most of us would probably get along rather well hanging out and having a beer... shooting the s**t rather than shooting each other. ;)

Shooting each other = no fun :huh:

Despite the occasional venom spewed and the fact that we vote for opposing teams, something tells me that most of us would probably get along rather well hanging out and having a beer... shooting the s**t rather than shooting each other. :huh:

I agree...who doesn't like to drink beer ;) ...don't forget we all like hockey too

Long Island Darts...That must have been an interesting game, but I think beer darts would be more fun

I was also thinking that it would make for some great fun and a little mayhem to have a full chat room on this site.  Now that would be fun, I would probably sit there every waking hour. Just some food for thought to Admin and company.  ;)

You know, we actually had an HTML-based chat room back in 98. I was pretty proud of that script -- used nothing but standard HTML and reloads so worked really well and fast in all browsers. I think I remember Taz, Elmduf, Clayton, among others being around in some of those chats.

I've pondered adding a chat function, mostly for game times. These days, it's a little less integrated but almost makes more sense just to use AOL IM or Yahoo IM to set up a private chat room, if there's really much interest. Something to keep in mind as next Fall approaches, anyway.

Dude thisi s the midwest not the middle east. We settle things more in more civil ways; golf, darts, beer drinking contests, and sid bets...

I agree...who doesn't like to drink beer ;) ...don't forget we all like hockey too

Long Island Darts...That must have been an interesting game, but I think beer darts would be more fun

I can put down a few of them...LI's that is, record of 9, but I was barely vertical...LI Darts made many people sleepy (passed out) I had people all over the house, walls, furniture, on cars, on the garage floor, lawn and floor that party...

I agree that 99% of the people that are "rabid" fans of a team can get along in a neutral setting and have a brew or two, unless they are rugby/soccer fans...

Thats a sqiud??? I though it was some sort of an extraterrestrial sasquatch. :D:0;)

You're both wrong...looks more like a mutated worm on steroids and crack...he's obviously suffering from roid rage and withdrawl at the time of the picture. ;);):0

Flatspin...what's up with you and sasquatchs recently (you taking a page out of Jeff's book or what?)? :p

Reading Yellowdog's stuff really supports why I don't much care for the Gopher hockey team.

Then you shouldn't like any team because EVERY single one of them has fans like yellowdog. ;):huh:

I think age question and where the players come from is tired. Lucia isn't taking young guys like Woog and I doubt the ave age of UM is any different than most teams now days. And if players like Potulny and Vanek win NC's for the Gophers, all the better - it proves Lucia was wise to go outside the borders.

I'll also repeat it's way too early to claim UM the prohibitive favorite. Well, perhaps on paper they ARE the favorite but pre-season WCHA picks generally mean squat in the end. Too much can happen. Once we know the roster, there's a myriad of things that can happen. Injuries, a string of bad luck, players falling off their game, freshmen not living up to expectations, etc., etc. UND will be good next year despite what they lose - Blais is one of the best, their goal-tending will be better (imho) and they have a nice class coming in.

And if players like Potulny and Vanek win NC's for the Gophers, all the better - it proves Lucia was wise to go outside the borders.

I know I am rehashing old stuff, but...From what I understand Lucia's acceptance of the Gopher job was contingent on the ability to recruit out of state/country. When Brooks guided the U of M he was able to get the best talent in Minnesota every year. Only two schools in Minnesota (UMD + the gophers) had D-I hockey. The whole landscape for Brooks allowed him to do that AND be successful. Unfortunately for the Wooger, he either wasn't allowed to go out of state of just flat out didn't. Either way, it just doesnt' appear to be possible to win at the highest level without being able to recruit outside of Minnesota. If you could get the TOP Minnesota players, you might be able to succeed. But with about every college in the country sprawled all over the 10,000 lakes, keeping all the top talent in the maroon and gold is unrealistic.

What sucks for UND fans is that the gophers got the right coach and the right conditions to be competitive not only in the WCHA, but also nationally. However, UND is in the hunt for future national titles. I wouldn't be surprised to see UND in the final four next year gunning for #8. UND has the tradition (remember what Herbie said!), the facility (no one comes even close) and the coaching staff (I'll match Blais with any college hockey coach).

What is great for UND fans is that the Gophers are back and we not only get to battle to see who is the best in the WCHA, but who is the best in the country. Remember when the WCHA used to ALWAYS win the NCAA tourney? I think we could be coming back to that tradition also. ;)

Despite the occasional venom spewed and the fact that we vote for opposing teams, something tells me that most of us would probably get along rather well hanging out and having a beer... shooting the s**t rather than shooting each other. :D

Beer, firearms and hockey ... yeah, sign me up for that. This has "riot in progress" written all over it. ;):huh:

Slapshot is right that Minnesota got the right man for the job in Lucia and that it makes little difference where the kids are from or if they are older. The goal is to win, and to make the kids better people and better hockey players.

I disagree that Minnesota could not win with the best Minnesota talent. There were many years where the Gophers appeared to be the most talented team but fell off at the end or lost in the NCAA tournament. I attribute that more to Woog. Although Woog knows the game, I don't believe that he was the best coach. I have heard from parents of kids who played for Woog who wished they had gone elsewhere because of the mind games that he played. If you cannot get the kids to play for you, you will not be successful. Lucia could win with Minnesota talent, but why should he have to feel that type of pressure? He should be able to recruit what he thinks is best for his team and what gives him the best chance of winning. He is an excellent coach, and proved that by turning around a CC program that was the doormat of the WCHA for many years before he took over. He also has excellent assistant coaches, and that is also important. The Sioux losing Sandelin was a big loss because he is an excellent recruiter and the kids like him and want to play for him.

Having said that, I hope that the rest of the league underrates UND next year. Minnesota will be the favorite, but UND will challenge them next year. Dean Blais is an excellent coach and extremely competitive. He will not hesitate to address weaknesses and has a good group coming in next year.