SiouxSports.com Forum

Gopher win.

flatspin7

• Replies 143
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I really didn't want to Gophers to win because they are WAY too cocky! After the game, I could see their heads getting bigger as they put on their National Championship caps. I had a feeling that they were going to win, and I was not surprised that Vanek scored the gamewinner. Once again the Gophers needed a NON-MINNESOTAN to win a National Championship for them!

I don't see a whole lot of natives of north dakota winning championships for them. 4 of the 5 goals in the championship game were scored by minnesotans. So as I see it without Minnesotans we lose that game. I don't want to sound like sid, but traditionally nodak has had older players who are ready for the nhl sooner because of age. Minnesota traditionally recruited the high school senior who pro scouts wanted to see stay in school to age. Minnesota now is recruiting older junior players. We also lose our fair share of players to the nhl, but since our players are younger we also lose them for 2 weekends every year for the juniors. People in Nodak wanted to talk about losing Parise as if it only happens to them, when in reality it happens to the gophs every year. I think if you look over the pro ranks there are far more minnesota players playing professionally, I will give you that the nodak grads are probably doing better in the nhl right now. It really drives me nuts to see blake doing well. i was answering two different posts here, i hope it isn't too confusing.

Yellowdog, you do sound like Sid, except he's more intelligent. You just happen to be equally biased. Please don't let the facts get in the way of your opinions. As I challenged you on USCHO, please look at the rosters. DeBus and Woog were the oldest players in the WCHA when they played for the Gophers. The Sioux have won with 18 year olds like Trevor Hammer, Jason Ulmer, Jeff Ulmer, Brad DeFauw, Peter Armbrust, Aaron Schweitzer and countless others. You incorrectly assume that because some of these kids are Canadian, they are older when in fact many are 18 or 19. Is everything in your world mythical or do you just make up the facts as you go along?

The statement that there are more Minnesota players playing professionally makes no sense. More than whom? North Dakota? Michigan? Massachussetts? Ontario?

Yellowdog, you do sound like Sid, except he's more intelligent. You just happen to be equally biased. Please don't let the facts get in the way of your opinions. As I challenged you on USCHO, please look at the rosters. DeBus and Woog were the oldest players in the WCHA when they played for the Gophers. The Sioux have won with 18 year olds like Trevor Hammer, Jason Ulmer, Jeff Ulmer, Brad DeFauw, Peter Armbrust, Aaron Schweitzer and countless others. You incorrectly assume that because some of these kids are Canadian, they are older when in fact many are 18 or 19. Is everything in your world mythical or do you just make up the facts as you go along?

The statement that there are more Minnesota players playing professionally makes no sense. More than whom? North Dakota? Michigan? Massachussetts? Ontario?

Who's the handicapped one skateshattrick. I was referring to Minnesotans vs Sioux players in the NHL. You pick out one team in Minnesota's history that has players older than 22 and call that a fact. Why not, you never seem to care if your facts are really facts anyway. Why also are you being so hostile when noone else is. Why don't you name some of the sioux players that have went on to pro careers after leaving early and then tell me how many of them were right out of high school. Quit trying to dispute that North Dakota recruited older junior players, it is fact. It also won you championships so quit acting ashamed of it. I wish we would have done it at the same time we might have as many championships as the sioux do. Notice I did say i thought the nodak grads were doing better. By saying it that way people with a brain were able to fiquire out I was comparing the sioux and gophers in my analagy, but since you do not have one of those you missed it. Now go away you loser and let me talk to the intelligent people on this board. You have proven to not be one of them. Everyone else has been great and is full of good points about the sioux and had done it without being mean like you. You still have more championships for now so just relax for a couple more years.

Yellowdog, every time that you post you make my point for me. Please go back to USCHO and continue your thread that you started "The Real Reason That UND Won So Many Championships." That earned the distinction of least intelligent post of the year. Congratulations. ;)

You must be trying to take the title from me from what I've seen from you. I already said that was tongue and cheek, but you didn't get it, which isn't surprising. Hurry up now and go catch the short bus.

I think if you look over the pro ranks there are far more minnesota players playing professionally, I will give you that the nodak grads are probably doing better in the nhl right now.

Who's in "The Show" now? Check here.

Playing professionally? The 2002-2003 UND media guide listed 45 currently playing professionally at some level. I don't have other numbers.

Potulny/Irmen in my opinion is better than Murray/Stafford. Our duo did it against better competition than yours.

I'm not going to claim which duo is 'better.' As stated, it's all opinion at this point anyway.

I will challenge the claim that Potulny/Irmen faced stiffer competition.

Sure, Stafford played SSM's Midget AAA season this year. But Brady Murray played the whole year at Salmon Arm in the British Columbia Hockey League where he had a 101 point season and was First Team All-BCHL.

Sure, Midget AAA isn't the USHL, but the USHL isn't the BCHL either. I'd say the competition argument ends up being a net wash.

Reading Yellowdog's stuff really supports why I don't much care for the Gopher hockey team. Nothing like a guy walking into a bar and start picking fights with everyone because he knows nobody is going to agree with him but yet he sticks around because he thinks its so damn cool. I'm going to do like I do with most Packer, Badger fans and Ignore you. Go home celebrate your championship, enjoy it and cherish it as it is quite an accomplishment.

Reading Yellowdog's stuff really supports why I don't much care for the Gopher hockey team. Nothing like a guy walking into a bar and start picking fights with everyone because he knows nobody is going to agree with him but yet he sticks around because he thinks its so damn cool. I'm going to do like I do with most Packer, Badger fans and Ignore you. Go home celebrate your championship, enjoy it and cherish it as it is quite an accomplishment.

Is that what I am doing. Thanks for the free analysis.

As for the analogy on the duo thing. I can see your point in that it might be a wash. We will see in a couple of years whether that will be the case at the college level.

I'm not asking everyone to agree with me, I just enjoy talking about hockey and spreading some truth to sioux fans. I could care less if you like the gophers we don't need you to like them.

Yellowdog, there was nothing "tongue in cheek" about your flame on USCHO offering excuses why the Sioux won national championships. You meant it, you admitted it, but finally sheepishly backed off after literally hundreds of posters, including fellow Gopher fans, told you what a fool you were and to shut up. How convenient and disingenuous to now state it was a "joke." Your true colors already came through today when you started it again in this forum.

One thing you are is predictable. I predicted on this message board that if the Gophers won, you would appear on this board to gloat and flame. That is all that you have ever done on this board, on POI and on USCHO. Then you cry about how everyone is being "mean" to you. Please go away. We appreciate serious comments and insights from Gophers fans, but no one on this board believes that you provide any insightful comment or are here for any reason other than to express your opinions about the so-called Gophers superiority and the "tainted" UND championships.

The administrator banned Siouxrock, and I certainly find his posts a lot less offensive than your posts.

I could care less if you like the gophers we don't need you to like them.

Sioux fans, yellowdog cannot help being repugnant, it is who he is and it won't ever change. However, yellow, before taunting posters about their supposed lack of intelligence, you should really complete your GED refresher course. Case in point, you said could care less, which means you actually could care less. Couldn't care less means you really could not care less no matter what. For the quoted statement to have the effect that you desire and to properly reflect your feelings you should have used proper grammar and said couldn't care less. Without doing so, the statement is nonsensical.

I will now be on the edge of my seat awaiting your witless retort.

Look back over the post. I was not gloating or flaming. You are the ones having the problem. I was having a fairly decent conversation with some people until you came along skateshattrick. I am not looking to flame it seems as though you are however. I don't know where I admitted being completely serious about the post on uscho, but if it makes you feel better I do believe some of it. The responses afterward were to goad sioux fans and it has worked far better than I ever thought it would. I would encourage the administrator of this board to look back over this thread and see who started the name calling and it was not me. I was talking hockey with some of the intelligent people here and was interuppted by some of the more bitter sioux fans. You people need to relax and get off my back, I did not start anything in this thread, but I will also not back down when you people call me names. Reread the thread and fiquire it out

Just out of curiousity, who did have the first American in the NHL. I know the first North Dakotan was Cliff "Fido" Purpur back in the mid 1930's. Who was the first Minnesotan.

Here's proving I have way too much time on my hands. I compiled the following list from my copy of "The Complete Encyclopedia of Ice Hockey". Because several players in this the listing of NHL players do not show a birth place, by no means is this going to be totally accurate. But according to this list, there have been a couple of Minnesota born players before Fido Purpur. I went in order of the season played in the NHL or the league leading up to the modern NHL. You will see something interesting before Fido Purpur. He may not have been the first North Dakota BORN player in the NHL. Of course, I have no idea where these people learned how to play hockey:

Everar Lorne (Eddie) Carpenter, Defenseman b. Hartford Mich 1919-1920 Quebec, 1920-1921 Hamilton

Harrington, Leland (Hago) b. Melrose, Mass Forward 1925-26 Boston

Clarence John (Taffy) Abel, b. Sault Ste. Marie, Mich May 28, 1900 Defenseman 1926-27 New York Rangers

Lane, Myles J. b. Melrose, Mass Oct 2, 1905 Defenseman 1928-29 New York Rangers

Goldworthy, Leroy D. b. Two Harbors, Minn, October 18, 1908 Defenseman-Forward, 1929-30 New York Rangers

Taylor, Robert b. Newton, Mass Aug 12, 1904 Forward 1929-30 Boston

Romnes, Elwin N. (Doc) b. White Bear, Minn, Jan 1 1909 Forward 1930-31 Chicago

Jenkins, Roger b. Appleston, Wisc Nov 18, 1911 Defenseman 1930-31 Chicago

Desjardins, Victor A. b. Sault Ste. Marie, Mich, July 4 1900 Forward 1930-31 Chicago Black Hawks

Jeremiah, Edward b. Worcester, Mass Nov 4, 1905 Defenseman-Forward 1931-32 NY Americans -Boston

Voss, Carl b. Chelsea, Mass Jan 6, 1907 Forward 1932-33 NY Rangers-Detroit F

Hanson Emil, b. Centerville SD, Nov 18 1907 Defenseman 1932-33 Detroit F

Williams, Burr b. Okemah, Okla Aug 30, 1909 Defenseman 1933-34 Detroit Red Wings

Trudel, Louis Napoleon b. Salem, Mass July 21, 1913 Forward 1933-34 Chicago

Moffat, Ronald b. West Hope, ND Forward 1932-33 Detroit F. (1 goal, 1 assist, 2 points) He also played on the 1933-34 Detroit Red Wings, but didn't score a point.

Purpur, Clifford (Fido) Forward b. Grand Forks, ND sept 26, 1916 1934-35 St. Louis Eagles

A couple of things I would like to point out:

1. Fido Purpur's fame at UND is that he was the real founder of the program. He brought it to prominence. At least that's the way I undestand it. He wasn't the first non-Canadian in the league and wasn't the best non-Canadian either. If it weren't for Fido, UND hockey probably wouldn't be in the spotlight it has today.

2. Minnesota did win at one time with an all-Minnesota team. Although I don't like some of the arrogance that produces out of some of their fans, that is a heck of a thing to point out. When Dapper Don took over that program I knew they would rise again. He was incredible at CC, saving a program that ran for a few years WITHOUT a hockey arena. AND, taking them to a national championship game. WOW.

Of course, at the U of M, Lucia had to take some players outside of Minnesota to turn them around. There just is too much competition for Minnesota players to go back to what once was for the U of M. Unfortunately, for the other programs, that is making them better and tougher to beat.

My hat is off to the the U of M program (GAG). Hopefully, our UND team watched the games and will take some inspiration from this to work hard this summer and come back with a strong desire to show off their skills in the upcoming season. ;)

Nah... Yellowdog's post just supports the reasons I don't like Yellowdog. Remember there are other Gopher types here that are good to have around. WPoS and Squirel come to mind first the other ones know who they are.

I was also thinking that it would make for some great fun and a little mayhem to have a full chat room on this site. Now that would be fun, I would probably sit there every waking hour. Just some food for thought to Admin and company. ;)

elmduf Posted on Apr 14 2003, 02:40 PM

Here's proving I have way too much time on my hands. I compiled the following list from my copy of "The Complete Encyclopedia of Ice Hockey".

Some good stuff, I appreciate the list and the time.

Thanks,

I was talking about tailgating from a students perspective, there were a couple people who got yelled at by REA security last year for it. For Gopher fans information, Students need to line up outside the door about 1.5 to 2 hours before the doors open to get a lower bowl seat, so before hockey games, unless it's extra early. Flatspin...what do ya say about coming back from Jersey for the Gopher games at Mariucci, so we can maybe get in on one of the Beer Darts games with WPoS?? ;):huh:

tailgating for Sioux hockey would most likely have to be done off REA premises...unless it's an officially sponsored REA tailgating party (which means all beer drinking must be done in the beer garden). The best bet would be to find a place close to REA, but off REA grounds (not too many options).

I fully intend on coming back next year for a series, Goopher might be a stretch but you never know tickets can be come by! ;)

Even though can we trust the Gopher fans throwing darts between our legs? WPoS ,I think we can trust due to the fact that he is the Creator of the game and would not cheapen it by a dart to the testes. Some of the other ones (sorry Yellowdog, I have to drop your name here) might very well go for the junk. You have to pick your opponents carefully.