SiouxSports.com Forum

Gopher win.

flatspin7

I agree that UNH wasn't that impressive, just goes to show you that the west is THAT much better than the East. The score could have easily been 9 or 10-1. The only player on UNH that deserved to win by the way he played was Ayers.

I did not see much of the first two periods, but the third really showed a let down by UNH. When the Goph's went up 3-1, UNH just plain died. Haven't seen that in a championship game in quite a while. At first, I was disappointed with Ayers behaving as he did late in the third. But, then I realized he was just trying to get some fire back in his team. They were rattled. I'm sure it was tough for UNH fans to watch their team slip like that after coming so far.

Perhaps it's a testimony to just how good the Gophers were this year. Teams seemed to fold against them. Mankato and CC in the WCHA tourney games both looked a little sluggish. Mercyhurts [sic] was predictable, but Ferris was surprisingly impotent for most of their game. And then UNH. The only team that matched up well in the Goph's post season was Michigan-- but even they didn't look like the team that spanked CC all around the rink the week before. Thanks Yost.

In the end, you place credit where it is due. Lucia has built up quite a franchise in his short time as coach. I was disappointed when he left CC, but certainly can't deny him the kudos for his work at U of M. Plus, I think the Maroon-n-Gold culture is changing for the better-- which is not good for Taz Boy who enjoyed so much lampooning the misery and handwringing of the Wooger era. This time has certainly past, so I guess I need to form new material.

Congrats again to the team I love to hate. Let's hope the WCHA can continue the recent successes and never let 1999 (HE final) happen again!

taz is forced to respect the Goofer. Blah! :)

• Replies 143
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

While I can't speak for what happened when the Sioux won the National Championship in 2000, I didn't hear of any rioting up in Grand Forks, and when we won the Football National Championship, all we did was drive up and down University honking and yelling in the back of my friend's truck (damn, that was cold).

Well, my friends and I beat the crap out of our apartments, but that was about it. :)

Hey WPoS... Beerdarts rules! Maybe there should be a Sioux beerdarts team? Or are we not "Worthy" of beer dats. Screw that Sioux Gopher hockey game I want Sioux / Gopher Beerdarts.

Ps.. Are you the "inventor"?

I second that...Sioux/Gopher Beer Darts tournament. Unforunately REA won't let us tailgate, maybe the Alerus will :);)

I tend to agree with Taz about Lucia rebuilding Minnesota's program in short order. Personally, I like it when our "traditional" hockey rivals in Minnesota and Wisco have strong programs, as I think it forces us to play at a higher level. Plus, it's just that much sweeter when we beat them. ;):)

bert, yellowdog, KGB,....fess up which one of you is it???

Thanks for the accusation but I was in Buffalo without internet access. Glad you conisder me to be one of at least three negative posters on this board. I don't stoop to that level, and if you knew me in person you'd know that. I don't know who the person behind that new moniker is, but when I first read the post, the spelling/grammar/capitalization/punctuation sort of tipped me off to who it *might* be. :)

Could it be the Stealthy return of SIOUXROCK.

DUM DUM DUM DUM DUM

He has returned to seek revenge on the board that banned him.

Help us all!!!!!

Don't you mean Steven?? :)

KGB...I should have mentioned that I was saying it in a sarcastic tone...actually, siouxrock might be a better choice, as the three I mentioned can spell and use correct grammar. ;)

bert, yellowdog, KGB,....fess up which one of you is it???

It wasn't me either. I just got back from grand forks and as you all know, you don't have computers up there yet. Just kidding, thanks to everyone for the mostly kind words. It was a really awesome weekend to be a gopher fan. I hope we can 3 peat, but it will be a very difficult accomplishment. I expect noone in wcha to lay down and just let the gophers have it. We may also lose some serious talent this year. I hope not, but it is very possible. I personally think Vanek is the only one ready for the next level. Martin,Ballard,Koalska, etc are not ready. Potulny would possibly be ready, but I think he will stay to play with his brother next year. We may need some guys to leave to be able to keep everyone happy next year. Only 2 guys leaving and I think 6 coming in means less time for some who saw alot of time this year. I hope for all of you guy's sake the sioux do get better so the gophers have some competition because I think the sioux might be the only ones who can supply it. Well maybe UMD or Mankato, but I would rather see it coming from the sioux. You guys have nothing else to live for. Ok I had to take one shot. I'll keep monitoring the board and watching for any outlandish statements from drunk sioux fans, but otherwise I will leave you all alone until the renewal of the rivalry next year.

Word from POI Lite is that Ballard will be returning next year. Good for them, bad for us. Also, Vanek's dad garauntees he will return while Vanek himself says he will wait and think about it over the summer.

Greyeagle, I must say I liked the "conversation" between the two morons about the game.

"Wow, we won dude"

"Dude, in what"

"Hockey, duuuude!"

"Awesome, lets go burn something dude!"

And be sure to thank jamo for directing them to Wisconsin, and not Grand Forks ;):huh: ...20 to 1 says some WERE BADger fans.

While it is reasonably fun to speculate on who goes/stays, most Title teams do have a runoff of their core players to the NHL. Minnie lost most theirs due to them being seniors. I wouldn't be surprised to see 2-3 juniors head out this summer. Rather than worrying about Vanek et al., I'd rather concentrate on Money, Parise, etc. ... and let them worry about Vanek et al. :D;)

Right now, as I look at the WCHA, I think it will be another fight to the end, and most likely we should have at least one team in the FF. Hopefully, it's UND. :huh:

Rather than worrying about Vanek et al., I'd rather concentrate on Money, Parise, etc.  ... and let them worry about Vanek et al.  :huh:  ;)

I've already given my speculation about likely Gopher losses next year (Vanek gone, Ballard on the edge)... however, I'm not sure UND is done bleeding yet, either. There will certainly be mutiple Sioux players with offers on the table this summer. One of the only advantages of not coming of a national championship is a slightly reduced likelihood of players bolting (particularly since there's a general feeling that UND could contend next year).

(particularly since there's a general feeling that UND could contend next year).

This is the kind of statement I was referring to earlier. Who other than some people on this board believes that UND could contend next year. Mankato and Minnesota are both returning teams that were far better than sioux this year. Minnesota also has a better recruiting class. (ie. the player of the year in the USHL and the highest scoring defensman in the USHL) I know it is hard for you guys to believe, but the sioux has work to do. Watch for the preseason polls next year, I bet the sioux are picked no higher than 4th behind Minnesota, Mankato, and UMD. Remember your season fell apart when Hale was out and Parise dissappeared and Hale is now gone for good without nearly as good of a replacement. I hope for all of your sake the sioux surprise and do better than this, but to think they can contend based on what is coming back is a long shot at best.

I know but it is more fun to talk about something that will hurt the best competion than something that will hurt us.

But anywhoo, It got me thinking about who else may leave.Just my humble opinion. I am NOT the great and powerful hockey swami so I may simply be talking out of my ass ;) ....

Currently Drafted----

Matt Greene (Edmonton)- Too raw needs some more seasoning before the pro-game. I think he will be a dominant D-man but he need more time.

Bochenski ($Ottawa$) - Ottawa are broke, they really don't have the money to sign many prospects remember they are Bankrupt, but he Could be temping to sign go. There is a possibility but I kinda doubt it.

Massen (my New Jersey Devils) Has not put up the numbers yet for the Sioux to get signed by the pros yet. Highly doubtful.

I thought Schnieder was drafted but Collegehockeystats.com doesnt have him listed.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Probably/ Definately Drafted

Parise will probably go middle/end of the first round, but I don't think anyone thinks that he is ready for the pro's yet.

Schnieder could go in the draft as well but I don't see him leaving.

Other possible draftees include the likes of....Jonsey, Lundbohm, Marvin, and maybe Prpich could get taken up. But I don't know if any of those guys will bail early.

Brady Murray could get drafted before he ever starts here and maybe Smaby or Stafford, but I still think they will show up. Hopefully we will see no one else leave for next year because I see a scary good team next year if we get the goaltending situation figured out.

Oh yeah a Goalie or 2 may be moving on too, but I really dont think they will be going to the pros.

Phoenix has Jones' rights.

Pittsburgh has Schneider.

FYI yellowdog-- your opinion of next year's Sioux team, though you're entitled to it, has absolutely nothing to do with whether a Sioux player leaves early. My point was that the teams' opinion of their possible contention next year could have some influence over a player's decision whether to stay or leave. Trust me, the team thinks they could contend.

Let's look at the two teams yellowdog picked to be ahead of us (Mankato and Duluth). First, Mankato loses BJ Abel...a huge loss for them. Abel was I believe among their top scorers and was IMO their best player. Next it would not surprise me to see Shane Joeseph and Grant Stevenson drafted. I think Joseph might go, but Stevenson will probably stay, I don't think that Stevenson will have as good a year without those two. Remember the Sioux outplayed the Mavs in Mankato, but were beaten by their goaltending.

Next Duluth...they've lost Jon Francisco, by far their best player. Also, gone is Rob Anderson, Drew Otten, and Matt Mathias. Anderson was a pretty decent backup to Reichmuth, and Otten was as hard a forechecker as I've seen in the WCHA. BTW...what is the deal with Geisler? I heard he gets another year of eligibility. I think it's also safe to say that TJ Caig will get drafted and have a pretty decent offer on the table, as will Junior Lessard. If Lessard and Petruic (Ottawa) go, I don't know how Duluth will recover unless they have an amazing recruiting class.

I'm not saying that Schneider, Money, Jones, Greene, Prpich, and Parise won't have nice offers in front of them, but Parise knows he's not ready for the NHL, same with Prpich...and the others have had one or two dissapointing seasons with the Sioux. I think they know the potential the Sioux have next year and will stay for at least one more year IMO. Yellowdog, I know I am biased, but at the same time, you are too.

I have to say one thing about the Gophers...damn they have a lot of NHL draftees...Atherton (Tampa Bay), Sertich (Pittsburgh), P.Martin (New Jersey), Ballard (Buffalo), Potulny (Ottawa), DeMarchi (New Jersey), J.Martin (Chicago), Riddle (St. Louis), Koalska (Nashville), and Tallackson (New Jersey).

Go Sioux!!

Let's look at the two teams yellowdog picked to be ahead of us (Mankato and Duluth). First, Mankato loses BJ Abel...a huge loss for them. Abel was I believe among their top scorers and was IMO their best player. Next it would not surprise me to see Shane Joeseph and Grant Stevenson drafted. I think Joseph might go, but Stevenson will probably stay, I don't think that Stevenson will have as good a year without those two. Remember the Sioux outplayed the Mavs in Mankato, but were beaten by their goaltending.

Abel will be a loss, as he was the best defensive forward on a team that lacked defense. He was not, however, among the top scorers. He actually had a season that was just a bit disappointing, offense-wise.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I think that if the NHL doesn't draft you by the time you're 20, you're a free agent and cannot be drafted. Both Stevenson and Joseph are over 20.

Joseph is only 5'9" tall, and the NHL is notoriously prejudiced against small players. I think he would be successful in the NHL (see Steve Sullivan of the Blackhawks for an example) with his skating and stickhandling skills, but I doubt he'll be offered the kind of money to make him forgo his last year.

Stevenson is getting some offers, but the word on campus is that these guys want to all come back next year unless they are offered just insane, can't turn it down type of money.

Backes and Morin coming in should offset the loss of Abel (although he was definitely the leader in the locker room.) The big issue for the Mavericks is the loss of Runkel and Bourne on defense. They lose the two best defensemen on a team with problems at defense.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I think that if the NHL doesn't draft you by the time you're 20, you're a free agent and cannot be drafted.

I've never heard of that rule, personally, but it could very well be...Jim, all Great and Powerful Hockey Swami, what have you got concerning this? :huh: ...Is it a rule or not?? ;)

If you're 20 or under on December 31 of the draft year (unlike the lower boundry which depends on your age as of Sept 15), you're eligible for the entry draft. Anyone not eligible for the entry draft (and whose rights aren't owned) is essentially a free agent. The big exception is that players from outside North America always have to go through the entry draft, regardless of age.

Hockey's Future has a really good explanation of the draft. Note that is page 1 of 3, but is the one that deals with eligibility. The others are about where players come form, and how NHL teams scout and rank players.