SiouxSports.com Forum

Gopher win.

flatspin7

• Replies 143
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Siouxrock got banned? This is what I miss when I don't keep in touch with this site. I officially called the hockey season over with after the Ferris State loss so I didn't keep in touch and then to learn Siouxrock got banned! I always miss the good stuff.

I'm still here though and I promise I won't hit the testes, I promise.

Thats fair. I just been taking a beating here at work and on home with Gopher fans gloating. Seeing how I live in the twin cities it has been relentless. I came to this site to lick my wounds and the first thing I see is Gopher fans on the SIOUX website throwing crap around. I understand how you want to debate hockey but the fact is its easy to kick the Sioux around right now because we obviously didn't win the NCAA Championship. Who you should really go after if you want a really good debate is Michigan. I'm sure they would love a rip roaring debate with a gopher fan. I'm not trying to put the harsh on you. I'm just looking for refuge.

hockeygrl

When will Minnesota EVER win a legitimate national title? For years Sioux fans derided Minnesota's "provincial" recruiting style of going after Minnesota-only players. Now, we get criticized for "needing" outside players. Well, which is it? At any rate, the real pith of that discussion (if you really want to go there) is the age question, not where the player came from. You see, Doug Woog always went after the MOST TALENTED Minnesota players. That long and glorious list includes guys like Neal Broten, Corey Millen, Larry Olimb, Trent Klatt, Erik Rasumussen, Brian Bonin and, more recently, Mike Crowley, John Pohl, Jeff Taffe, Jordan Leopold, and many, many others...all truly great college hockey players with one stat in common: They came into the league as TRUE FRESHMAN...get it? It's very hard to win with younger players. That said, what Minnesota did this year was more amazing than last year (though now only 50% or less of our players came in as true freshmen), and it wasn't just Vanek. EVERYBODY (including our lone Senior) played great hockey on Saturday night.

Now that Minnesota has opened its borders, it's given small-minded fans like you another way to criticize the program (but now on the opposite side of the issue for which we were criticized before!). Your twisted logic really has my head spinning. Did Minnesota NEED Grant Potulny to win last year or Vanek this year? Maybe. Maybe not. We'll never know. But note that I have never assailed UND for "needing" canadians like Lee Goren or Minnesotans like Karl Goerhing to win championships.

I for one am sorry that Vanek scored on Saturday and that Grant Potulny swatted in a rebound last year. It gives small minds like yours childish, one-line quips to regurgitate so that you can somehow minimize or cheapen the legitimate butt kicking Minnesota put on UNH this year. Maybe we should just give the trophy back or better, send it on up to Grand Forks since they have a better program anyway. ;)

hockeygrl

When will Minnesota EVER win a legitimate national title?  For years Sioux fans derided Minnesota's "provincial" recruiting style of going after Minnesota-only players.  Now, we get criticized for "needing" outside players.  Well, which is it?  At any rate, the real pith of that discussion (if you really want to go there) is the age question, not where the player came from.  You see, Doug Woog always went after the MOST TALENTED Minnesota players.  That long and glorious list includes guys like Neal Broten, Corey Millen, Larry Olimb, Trent Klatt, Erik Rasumussen, Brian Bonin and, more recently, Mike Crowley, John Pohl, Jeff Taffe, Jordan Leopold, and many, many others...all truly great college hockey players with one stat in common:  They came into the league as TRUE FRESHMAN...get it?  It's very hard to win with younger players.  That said, what Minnesota did this year was more amazing than last year (though now only 50% or less of our players came in as true freshmen), and it wasn't just Vanek.  EVERYBODY (including our lone Senior) played great hockey on Saturday night. 

Now that Minnesota has opened its borders, it's given small-minded fans like you another way to criticize the program (but now on the opposite side of the issue for which we were criticized before!).  Your twisted logic really has my head spinning.  Did Minnesota NEED Grant Potulny to win last year or Vanek this year?  Maybe.  Maybe not.  We'll never know.  But note that I have never assailed UND for "needing" canadians like Lee Goren or Minnesotans like Karl Goerhing to win championships.

I for one am sorry that Vanek scored on Saturday and that Grant Potulny swatted in a rebound last year.  It gives small minds like yours childish, one-line quips to regurgitate so that you can somehow minimize or cheapen the legitimate butt kicking Minnesota put on UNH this year.  Maybe we should just give the trophy back or better, send it on up to Grand Forks since they have a better program anyway. ;)

If you don't like anti-Gopher, anti-opponent posts on a Sioux board, go elsewhere. It's going to happen.Check out the anti-Sioux, anti-opponent stuff on POI. You don't see any of us throwing a tantrum over there. Get used to it if you plan to visit here, it will happen, you can bet on it.

Relax streakygopher. Not every UND fan feels that way. Minnesota has won 5 legitimate titles, just like North Dakota has won 7 legitimate titles and Michigan 9. The post probably is in response to posts of Yellowdog and others that UND's titles are tainted because we had Canadians and older players and other unmentionables that did not fall into the category of Minnesotans directly out of high school. Apparently, that is a requirement in some persons' minds, although I'm betting that Nebraska won't give back its football titles by recruiting primarily from out-of-state and Duke and UCLA won't give up basketball titles. Minnesota really would not compete well at D1 basketball and football if it had to rely exclusively on homegrown talent. It is just ironic that for so many years, some Gopher fans threw back in Sioux fans' face that UND did not win legitimately because it recruited Canadians, and now, Minnesota is finding out that great hockey is played elsewhere as well as Minnesota and are winning with out-of-state talent. That is not intended as a dis to Minnesota, which is a great hockey state, perhaps the best in the US (although Massachussetts and Michigan may beg to differ), only to emphasize: Who cares where the players come from as long as the NCAA says they are eligible? I love it when the Sioux have Canadians on their roster, as well as Minnesota kids, North Dakota kids and a blend of kids from Illinois, Colorado and elsewhere.

Congratulations to the Gopher hockey team. They accomplished a lot, and there are no asterisks by their titles just because they have great players from out-of-state complimenting great players from Minnesota. ;)

As far as UND or Minnesota having a greater program, that is debatable. They are clearly both among the elite programs in college hockey and have been for years.

Sprig--

It wasn't much of a tantrum. I'm just calling that poster on the carpet for her/his absurd, infantile remark. Yes, it will happen...from those who know little or nothing of hockey, but only of trading childish insults or casting meaningless aspersions. And that goes for both sides. Sorry I didn't use the "feel good" language you needed to hear in defense of the Minnesota program, and so what if it's a Sioux board. People should be held accountable for their remarks, regardless of the forum or venue.

sorry for d. post...Skateshattrick:

I didn't intend to compare Minnesota's program to UND's. They're both steeped in rich hockey history...and they're both among the jewels of the WCHA.

It just grates on me to hear someone take a cheap shot like "needs a non-Minnesotan..." when for years many of the Sioux faithful made fun of Minnesota for recruiting that way! And if Minnesotans on the POI side accuse UND of winning with 25 year old Canadians, so what? As you pointed out, they are legitimate NCAA recruits and that's all that matters. I think Minnesota should be lauded for doing as well as they did over the years with younger, smaller, and less experienced players. Instead, they're made fun of...then years later, made fun of again for changing!!?! ;)

Oh well, this could go around in circles...do older, more mature players make a difference? You bet they do. Minnesota is finding that out with recent recruits such as Grant Potulny and a few others.

Sure, Midget AAA isn't the USHL, but the USHL isn't the BCHL either. I'd say the competition argument ends up being a net wash.

The BCHL is no better than the USHL. If anything, the USHL plays a more all around game and focuses more on both ends of the rink as compared to the BCHL in which defense is often secondary. Ask a number of scouts and you will hear relatively similar comments.

streaky,

I think you are taking it too seriously. As you said, some people are just blowing out double talk since the Gophers have won the last two titles. If the worst somebody can do is point out that a top non-MN player helped the U to another national title, I'll take it with a big smile. Maybe those NoDak boys Irmen and R. Potulny will do the same for us. ;)

I am going to end this argument about age and out of state recruitment once and for all. As long as the player is eligble to play collegiate athletics, who cares. Don't forget that Chris Weinke was 28 years old when he played foetball for Florida State. I don't remember if they one a National champioship with, him...but as I recall they were damn good. If the Sioux or the Gophers have a player who is a 25 year old Canadian on their team, the better for them. Using age as an excuse why a title was won or that a team needed an out of state player to win one is obsurd...Let's just end it now.

Nah... Yellowdog's post just supports the reasons I don't like Yellowdog. Remember there are other Gopher types here that are good to have around. WPoS and Squirel come to mind first the other ones know who they are.

I agree, guys like Hammy, theSkilz (on poi he doesn't post here), Santa Lucia, Handy_man, the guy with the moose on his icon, WPOS are all decent posters, I don't agree with everything they say...

I put Yellow Mutt in the same company as Happy there are here to stir it up...

Can someone tell me what the heck is beer darts?

I am going to end this argument about age and out of state recruitment once and for all. As long as the player is eligble to play collegiate athletics, who cares. Don't forget that Chris Weinke was 28 years old when he played foetball for Florida State. I don't remember if they one a National champioship with, him...but as I recall they were damn good. If the Sioux or the Gophers have a player who is a 25 year old Canadian on their team, the better for them. Using age as an excuse why a title was won or that a team needed an out of state player to win one is obsurd...Let's just end it now.

On a funnier note, Chris was from Minnesota if I remember right...

On a funnier note, Chris was from Minnesota if I remember right...

Yes he was...two sport star at Cretin-Durham Hall High School in St. Paul. Weinke had signed a pro baseball contract which is why he went to college so late, if I remember correctly.

CDH has also produced Paul Molitor. Really good football and baseball school

I agree, guys like Hammy, theSkilz (on poi he doesn't post here), Santa Lucia, Handy_man, the guy with the moose on his icon, WPOS are all decent posters, I don't agree with everything they say...

I put Yellow Mutt in the same company as Happy there are here to stir it up...

Can someone tell me what the heck is beer darts?

Can you honestly look back over this post and say I am stirring things up. The people who are trying to stir things up are sioux fans. I was talking hockey with jk and another poster when skatehattrick and others had to come in and start taking shots. No matter what I say they are going to say I am flaming so to hell with you guys. Did north dakota become a communist state when I wasn't looking. It is ok for people to have a different opinion than you and sometimes they may even be right. I hope you people go over to poi and keep some of those people honest. Now go back and read this post and get off my fffing back.

Great objective analysis by JK. MavsFan is correct that Joseph is probably too small to go pro, but Stevenson leaving would not surprise me. I'm counting on both returning. Mankato also will have Backes, but I agree with JK that the Sioux recruiting class of Murray-Smaby-Stafford looks stronger on paper. The key again will be goaltending.

Anyone who predicts that the Sioux are slated for 4th or 5th is not being objective. Yellowdog has no objectivity. This is the same person who started a post on USCHO about why the Sioux have won 7 national championships, and then proceeded to spin the same garbage that Sid Hartman has for years about 25 year old Canadians, etc. When he was called on it, he babbled and backtracked, exposing the fact that he's one stage below developmentally disabled. I would love to sit down with Yellowdog for about 30 seconds some time and have him tell me everything that he knows about hockey. He should have some time left over to do other things.

Here is what started it by the way. I am talking to other posters about the sioux's team next year and in comes this guy calling me developmentally disabled. So now you people all get on me saying I am flaming on your board. This was just the start followed by goon and others who hated on me without looking back over the thread. give me a break already.

Here is what started it by the way. I am talking to other posters about the sioux's team next year and in comes this guy calling me developmentally disabled. So now you people all get on me saying I am flaming on your board. This was just the start followed by goon and others who hated on me without looking back over the thread. give me a break already.

Since you are pointing out certain things, I believe skates said you were one stage BELOW developmentally disabled.

Can you honestly look back over this post and say I am stirring things up. The people who are trying to stir things up are sioux fans. I was talking hockey with jk and another poster when skatehattrick and others had to come in and start taking shots. No matter what I say they are going to say I am flaming so to hell with you guys. Did north dakota become a communist state when I wasn't looking. It is ok for people to have a different opinion than you and sometimes they may even be right. I hope you people go over to poi and keep some of those people honest. Now go back and read this post and get off my fffing back.

I tried reading this thread but I got sleepy. Yellowdog cures insomnia through an amazing effort at over-arguing the uninteresting.

So much effort for so little thought. Just be happy about the Gophs and look forward to your guarenteed three-peat next year.

taz

Yellowdog-

We at the Sioux board welcome opinions from opposing fans as long as they have something intelligent to say, like Greyeagle, WPoS, MavsFan, and a few others. I think that under all the jibber jabber in your posts you do. The minute someone disagrees with you, you get very defensive about your opinion, which is fine. Just stay away from personal attacks (yes, I know there are some sioux fans that do it too, but try to remember that this is our board...Sioux fans who do this (you know who you are) stop it), and there is no need to repeat yourself 80 billion times. You have potential to be among the ranks of WPoS and Greyeagle as Gopher posters we like over here. There's no need to defend your opinion to the death here, make it, read the response, make a rebuttle, etc...when stuff starts to get repeated on both sides, agree to disagree and move on. Watch the way that the aforementioned posters post, and how peaceful this board can be when everyone is civil. It is hard for anyone to be objective on this board since we ALL have biases.

The guy with the moose? I'm now the guy with the moose as his icon? Come on Goon, throw me a bone here. ;)

The guy with the moose? I'm now the guy with the moose as his icon? Come on Goon, throw me a bone here. :huh:

You'll have to forgive Goon, Greyeagle...arguing with Gopher fans like yellowdog takes a lot out of you, it can make you have short term memory loss, and cause temorary insanity.

Hell, I've been up all night checking this board, and I only read it!!! ;):D

Actually I was doing a 30 page outline (more or less) that is due for a class today and my lazy ass put it off until this weekend ;)

Beer Darts is a game invented by WPoS

Go to BeerDarts.net for rules as well as a description of how to play

Though I have yet to play myself, it looks like the shiznit

Good job WPoS!!

aw shucks...I'm gonna blush! It IS a fun game, if you like to drink beer that is, just don't try "Long Island Darts"....NOT a pretty picture!

WPoS