SiouxSports.com Forum

BEYOND THE POND with Puffy

Oxbow6

Ummmm. no you are way off base there. Sid knows nothing about college hockey. Puffy knows a lot but is a Gopher fan, hence we don't like him. At least he is willing to talk college hockey or the Fan would have no coverage of it at all. I have net Puffy a few times, he is a dink but give him credit for at least promoting college hockey.

What do you mean Sid knows nothing about college hockey? He knows plenty! Just ask him! :D

• Replies 300
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Puffy's fine.

He likes himself a lot. But he's not a bad dude.

If it weren't for him there wouldn't be any college hockey talk on the air other than gametime.

And I've heard him hatin' on the Gophers plenty, so he's not a total homer rube like Sid.

Puffy's fine.

He likes himself a lot. But he's not a bad dude.

If it weren't for him there wouldn't be any college hockey talk on the air other than gametime.

And I've heard him hatin' on the Gophers plenty, so he's not a total homer rube like Sid.

the best part about watchng the guy when he does fox north gophers coverage is when they lose because he has to hold back the FAN part of him and roll with it as a professional on tv and you can tell what he really wants to say :angry:

the best part about watchng the guy when he does fox north gophers coverage is when they lose because he has to hold back the FAN part of him and roll with it as a professional on tv and you can tell what he really wants to say :angry:

While wearing an SCSU tie after he lost the bet with Marc Parish. That was some classic stuff.

Was buzzing around Fargo this morning when I caught "Beyond the Pond" with Puffy and his crew. Puffy said there was not much of chance that UND could get to the Frozen Four this year. :angry: He figured UND would be a 2, possibly a 3 seed in the big tourney. JPL is ok, not great, in net and not getting enough from Osh and Dunc. :D Also thought Duncan made a mistake coming back this year. But his Fluffiness thought that the Gophs still could get home ice for the first round of the WCHA? :huh: I must admit I caught bits and pieces, but it was obvious he thought after the 2 Colorado schools, everyone else was pretty close in the league. Did anybody else catch this?

I don

I don't think he said anything that outrageous. UND probably won't get a #1 seed and therefore depending upon their region wouldn't be favored to get to the FF and the Gophers do have a chance for a 1st round home series (although those chances are slowly getting smaller). I know he's not predicting the Gophers will do a whole lot this weekend and I know he's say UND is currently the better team but that doesn't mean one should expect them in the FF this year. Why do some people take it so personally when someone fails to go ga-ga over their favorite team?

I don't know. Why don't you clue us in?

after reading through this thread, it's become clear to me why its so hard to come here daily like i used too...and even tougher to want to contribute...seems like anyone that wants to disagree with something gets absolutely crushed and more often than not it turns to personal attacks. I am a die hard sioux hockey fan. I've also spent the last 5 years listening to PA and Dubay. First off, Dubay has never ever once said that he is an expert or analyst.....he will tell you 10 out of 10 times that he is a rube...flat out just a fan of the sport. He does love his gophers and very vocal of his hatred for anything Wisconsin. But, like some have said, he is not a Sid or a Mazsucko....i think he is very objective when it comes to college hockey. I also can hear him skew a little towards his gophers, but every fan of every team in every sport is going to skew his views slightly towards the team they love. Does it make him a piece of s#!t like most of you are essentially saying?? No..it makes him a fan. I think that just the fact that he has a show called "beyond the pond" completely dedicated to talking hockey, NHL or NCAA is absolutely fantastic. I also love the fact that he now gets to mix it into the show and that they've been doing live remotes from surrounding cities when the gophers play there. He is very knowledgeable about the game, may not always say what sioux fans or even gopher fans wanna hear, but he's very plugged in. Now i don't agree with his being "shocked" if the sioux make it to the frozen four, but there is an argument out there as to why they might not, and i think that's been made very clearly here with their unsteady play, and the fact that they just got outshot on saturday 36-13 by a team that's won 2 games all year. They play like that in the tourney and it'll be 5-1 at best and we'll be saying our goodbye's to oshie and chorney and finley and whomever else leaves...if there is one thing that anyone should take out of this...it should be that sports talk radio isn't supposed to be expert analysis....it's supposed to be entertaining..if you want expert analysis...XM carries ESPN....call peter gammons and talk about baseball....don't look to expert analysis from talk radio...if that's the case, then dakota huseby is a genius.....(gf talk radio personality that has her head firmly planted in her ass......for those outside the listening area)

after reading through this thread, it's become clear to me why its so hard to come here daily like i used too...and even tougher to want to contribute...seems like anyone that wants to disagree with something gets absolutely crushed and more often than not it turns to personal attacks. I am a die hard sioux hockey fan. I've also spent the last 5 years listening to PA and Dubay. First off, Dubay has never ever once said that he is an expert or analyst.....he will tell you 10 out of 10 times that he is a rube...flat out just a fan of the sport. He does love his gophers and very vocal of his hatred for anything Wisconsin. But, like some have said, he is not a Sid or a Mazsucko....i think he is very objective when it comes to college hockey. I also can hear him skew a little towards his gophers, but every fan of every team in every sport is going to skew his views slightly towards the team they love. Does it make him a piece of s#!t like most of you are essentially saying?? No..it makes him a fan. I think that just the fact that he has a show called "beyond the pond" completely dedicated to talking hockey, NHL or NCAA is absolutely fantastic. I also love the fact that he now gets to mix it into the show and that they've been doing live remotes from surrounding cities when the gophers play there. He is very knowledgeable about the game, may not always say what sioux fans or even gopher fans wanna hear, but he's very plugged in. Now i don't agree with his being "shocked" if the sioux make it to the frozen four, but there is an argument out there as to why they might not, and i think that's been made very clearly here with their unsteady play, and the fact that they just got outshot on saturday 36-13 by a team that's won 2 games all year. They play like that in the tourney and it'll be 5-1 at best and we'll be saying our goodbye's to oshie and chorney and finley and whomever else leaves...if there is one thing that anyone should take out of this...it should be that sports talk radio isn't supposed to be expert analysis....it's supposed to be entertaining..if you want expert analysis...XM carries ESPN....call peter gammons and talk about baseball....don't look to expert analysis from talk radio...if that's the case, then dakota huseby is a genius.....(gf talk radio personality that has her head firmly planted in her ass......for those outside the listening area)
Great post and I agree with pretty much everything.If it weren't for puffy college hockey wouldn't be talked about all that much on the airwaves.The guy knows his hockey plain and simple.Of course your not going to agree with everything he says but if ya did why listen.Sometimes the green lenses around here are thicker than coke bottles.Just my 2 cents.

Very well said. We have way too fans that fly off the handle if the Sioux aren't pontificated.

very eloquent - but he's still a hometown punk - through and through.

Puffy just restated his thoughts on the Sioux. Paraphrasing from KFAN Thursday morning - this is the weakest Sioux team in four years with no depth. I guess we might as well shut 'er down for the year :lol:

Defensively the Sioux are as good as they have ever been in the last 4 years. I think UND is more balanced in scoring and this year if more so than ever they might actually be able to fly under the radar this year because no one is really looking a them.

Puffy just restated his thoughts on the Sioux. Paraphrasing from KFAN Thursday morning - this is the weakest Sioux team in four years with no depth. I guess we might as well shut 'er down for the year :lol:

as if puffy didn't already give people enough reasons to think he is a homer rube... this statement speaks to his lack of college hockey knowledge. bravo puffy :D i know a sweep at the john is always tough, but it would be sweet this year, just to hear what puffy's respsonse would be. now i don't listen to him, but if you are going to be the college hockey voice in the area, try and be credible and leave your homer feelings at home.

Why should Puffy leave his homer feelings at home? He's a Minneapolis/St. Paul radio guy who's show is syndicated (or whatever the word is) around Minnesota and North Dakota. His primary market is the Minneapolis/St. Paul area and therefore Gopher fans. Just because he's the only guy who talks college hockey doesn't mean he's required to be anything but a Gopher superfan. You can make fun of him for being an idiot all you want, but don't whine about him not giving UND the respect you think they deserve. It's not his job to make you feel all warm and fuzzy inside.

Defensively the Sioux are as good as they have ever been in the last 4 years. I think UND is more balanced in scoring and this year if more so than ever they might actually be able to fly under the radar this year because no one is really looking a them.

Regarding our forwards, we are thinner than year's past - would you like the following on this squad?

Stafford

TZajac

Toews

Porter

Spirko

All of these forwards were on the squad when we won the F5 2 seasons ago and lost in the Frozen4 at Millwaukee. We haven't really restocked - only VV has been a point producer - Trupp is getting there.

However, the rest of the league/country is thin at F this year. We may not have as much NHL/pro talent but it may not matter this year - no one does. We may have more balance this year, which could be our advantage in March/April.

I would argue we have the best all-round F in the country (Oshie), the best 1-4 D corp in the country, and a top 5 goalie.

I don't agree with that. I think offensively our defensemen are better than the past 4 years, but I cannot believe we are better defensively than we were when we had Schneider, Fuher, Greene, Smaby, etc back there.

I do agree our scoring is more balanced, and we are more of a threat from lines 2-4 than we have been for a while.

our scoring is very balanced having 12 players in double digit points including 4 of our 6 d men and our D has been on a tear lately. heres to jones getting his first point of the season vs the gophers :D

wow, just looking at our 7 game win streak. given up 1 goal in a game 5 times and 10 total goals in the 7 games. very nice numbers. keep the gophers to 2 - 3 a night and i like our chances. go sioux

if we are fortunate enough to grab 4 points this weekend that puts up 1 point behind CC with having played 2 more league games than them but still they will notice that we are right there. we are 2 points up on denver but they have played 4 less league games than the sioux. bottom line, keep winning and good things can happen :lol:

as if puffy didn't already give people enough reasons to think he is a homer rube... this statement speaks to his lack of college hockey knowledge. bravo puffy :D i know a sweep at the john is always tough, but it would be sweet this year, just to hear what puffy's respsonse would be. now i don't listen to him, but if you are going to be the college hockey voice in the area, try and be credible and leave your homer feelings at home.

Easy or else Gopherguy33 will bring the hammer on you too! ;)

Why do you guys even care what Dubay has to say when it comes to und?

That's simple: we've got nothing else to complain about. We haven't been jobbed by the refs lately; we got no athletic director to be p.o.'d at; and the board of higher education hasn't hired a new president so we can't bitch about that either.

Puffy's just convenient is all. :lol: