SiouxSports.com Forum

Greetings from Salt Lake

UofUUtes

14 minutes ago, forksandspoons said:

Obviously, UND will need to pass to win the game. However, I still think they will do their best to pound the rock. It only takes a small opening to free Santiago. I'm predicting a couple of long Santiago runs and over 150 yards rushing as a team. 

The thing about the defense they play is that they have a massive DL and a bunch of DBs on the field. That's kind of tough because if you break one to the outside around the samoan wall they have speed for days with all the DBs on the field. It'd be one thing if they had a small fast DL because then you just run right at them but their DL being so stout makes it a bit of a catch 22. I hope we can open some holes but I won't hold my breath. 

5 hours ago, geaux_sioux said:

The thing about the defense they play is that they have a massive DL and a bunch of DBs on the field. That's kind of tough because if you break one to the outside around the samoan wall they have speed for days with all the DBs on the field. It'd be one thing if they had a small fast DL because then you just run right at them but their DL being so stout makes it a bit of a catch 22. I hope we can open some holes but I won't hold my breath. 

If the Fighting Hawks can't open up holes for the ground game, then UND will lose handily. Utah plays in the PAC-12; they are familiar with spread offenses and passing attacks that are far superior to what Studsrud and UND can offer. UND needs to establish the running game if they want to produce any sort of advantage for the offense. Play-action shots are fine, but the running game needs to get going first. 

I think back to the game against North Dakota State in 2015 and the Stony Brook game in 2016. Without a running game, it could get ugly quick. 

• Upvote 1

6 minutes ago, UND-FB-FAN said:

If the Fighting Hawks can't open up holes for the ground game, then UND will lose handlely. Utah plays n the PAC-12; they are familiar with spread offenses and passing attacks that are far superior to what Studsrud and UND can offer. UND needs to establish the running game if they want to produce any sort of advantage for the offense. Play-action shots are fine, but the running game needs to get going first. 

I think back to the game against North Dakota State in 2015 and the Stony Brook game in 2016. Without a running game, it could get ugly quick. 

My thinking exactly. 

FYI... You guys are more than welcome to come visit us at Block U.  Come by, introduce yourself, start a fanpost (you do have to register first but no waiting period) and get to know our fanbase (including the schizophrenic optimist/pessimist, who denies he is the same person).  People have been asking about you guys and links have been posted, but some cross interaction would be great.

45 minutes ago, forksandspoons said:

In summary, UND shouldn't show up because it's considered a "preseason" game. 

No no no... Lets be honest... win or lose next Thursday its not going to effect your conference or FCS Championship run.  

And just because FBS teams are expected to beat FCS teams that's never a guarantee.  Appalachian State beat Michigan in 2007 and should have beat Tennessee in 2016.   You play the game for the glory and for the exposure.  Sure odds are against an FCS team, but Thursday night you are going to be in some 15+ million homes.  You might get the upset, you might not... win or lose if you play a great game that's a lot of exposure.  This is how you build recruiting pipelines.  

ESPN is giving the Fighting Hawks a 3.5% chance to win. I'd say that is definitely low but that is National media bias.  But even at 10%, not odds I would bet on, but still will be an exciting game 1) because upsets happen and 2) its the first game of the year.  

As a Ute fan, I expect we will lose to USC and Washington this year.   Yes, a loss will hurt just as much because I love my team... but because I love my team I am going to watch and cheer them on even if we are getting hammered.  But with that expectation the pain subsides just a bit and the excitement is so much more when you do get the upset.

Trust me... I and every other longtime Ute fan gets the disrespect card. 2009, we should have been National Champions... Only team 13-0 and we ended the season stomping Alabama.  But because we were an Non-automatic Qualifier in the BCS era we weren't voted #1.  But that was a stepping stone for us to move into a Power 5 conference.  Now we are getting the recruits and TV time and almost everything we fought for as the little guy.  Still a whole lot of disrespect from the East coast media but that's par for the course.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 3

Do we know if JJ is going to be out for this game, or is there a chance he still might play?  Would have been nice to have a big body like his running against Utah's tough defensive front 4.  Are there any other notable injuries going into Thursday? (other than the obvious - Harris)  

On ‎8‎/‎25‎/‎2017 at 2:19 AM, RavenousUte said:

Trust me... I and every other longtime Ute fan gets the disrespect card. 2009, we should have been National Champions... Only team 13-0 and we ended the season stomping Alabama.  But because we were an Non-automatic Qualifier in the BCS era we weren't voted #1.  But that was a stepping stone for us to move into a Power 5 conference.  Now we are getting the recruits and TV time and almost everything we fought for as the little guy.  Still a whole lot of disrespect from the East coast media but that's par for the course.

I agree. I hated the old FCS system as your team and BYU during those years, had no chance at anything big. I love the playoff but wish it were 8 teams.

Urban Meyer was the coach right?

4 minutes ago, shep said:

I agree. I hated the old FCS system as your team and BYU during those years, had no chance at anything big. I love the playoff but wish it were 8 teams.

Whittingham was the coach for the 2008 Sugar Bowl 

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, shep said:

Urban Meyer was the coach for 2003-2004, the first time we went undefeated and busted the BCS.  It was all Kyle Whittingham and staff in 2008/2009 when we beat Alabama.

• Like 1

Fan Fun
Some new events will enhance the in-game experience for fans attending games at Rice-Eccles Stadium in 2017, including the opportunity to purchase experiences and personal messages on the (north) auxiliary video boards, along with the addition of an in-house DJ. Experiences, which may be purchased by visiting UtahUtes.com/Experiences, include opportunities like leading the team onto the field or sitting in the ESPN 700 radio booth for a quarter. To have personal messages such as wishes for a happy birthday or anniversary displayed on the auxiliary boards, visit UtahUtes.com/SwoopWishes. A DJ from Salt Lake radio station U92 will play music during the pre-game team warm-ups. The DJ will be located in front of the MUSS section.

Cannon Call
The "Cannon Call" is coming to Rice-Eccles Stadium this season and will serve as notification to fans that they have less than 30 minutes to enter the stadium for the opening kickoff. The Utah ROTC will blast the Ute Thunder cannon when the Utes leave the field after pre-game warmups, announcing to fans that it is time to head for the entry gates.

4 hours ago, Utesince84 said:

Just stopping by to wish UND luck this week as well as the rest of the season. Hope it's a great game Thursday night with no injuries.  Looking forward to following UND a bit throughout the season.

Thanks - we are excited to make the trip to Salt Lake City and really appreciate all the info you and the other Ute fans have posted. One request: Could you reduce the game time temperature to something in the 70s instead of the high 80s? Thanks!