SiouxSports.com Forum

What's most important?

Dave Berger

So I got to thinking...

Obviously the green banner (national championship) is the most important single-season accomplishment. But outside of that, what ranks highest in your mind?

Put the following in the order of importance (for you), and discuss:

Appearing in the national championship game (runner-up finish)

Advancing to the Frozen Four

Winning a game in the NCAAs (appearing in the regional final)

NCAA tournament appearance

Hobey Baker award winner

Winning the NCHC postseason tournament (Frozen Faceoff)

Making it to Minneapolis for the Frozen Faceoff

NCHC regular season title (Penrose Cup)

Home ice for the NCHC playoffs

20 win season

I'm interested to hear if there's any consensus on this.

Dave

Other than the National Championship, I'd have to go with the regular season championship, Penrose Cup. It represents the body of work over the entire regular season. Hobey baker is nice, but I'd put that down on the list even below advancing to Frozen Four.

So I got to thinking...

Obviously the green banner (national championship) is the most important single-season accomplishment. But outside of that, what ranks highest in your mind?

Hobey Baker award winner

Winning the NCHC postseason tournament

20 win season

Dave

1. NCHC regular season title (Penrose Cup) - you could argue that this might even be tougher than going on a 4 game winning streak and winning a Nat'l Championship

2. Winning the NCHC postseason tournament - if you're going to make it, better to win it!

3. NCAA tournament appearance - #3, #4, #5 and #6 go in order...in order go do #6 you have to first do #3, #4, and #5

4. Winning a game in the NCAAs (appearing in the regional final)

5. Advancing to the Frozen Four

6. Appearing in the national championship game (runner-up finish)

7. Making it to Minneapolis for the Frozen Faceoff

8. Home ice for the NCHC playoffs

9. 20 win season

10. Hobey Baker award winner - individual player award...UND only has 2 of these but has a lot of success and tradition even without these

So I got to thinking...

Hobey Baker award winner

20 win season

Dave

I'd say my order and subsequent reasoning is:

NCHC regular season title (Penrose Cup)- Get to hang a white banner, 2nd best thing

Winning the NCHC postseason tournament- Another trophy for the case

Appearing in the national championship game (runner-up finish)- We were close but couldn't get it done, this one hurts

Advancing to the Frozen Four- Tells me we had a really great run but again couldn't close it out

NCAA tournament appearance- At least we have a chance every year

Hobey Baker award winner- would rather have a Ryan Duncan on the team than beat Niagra and lose to Yale

Making it to Minneapolis for the Frozen Faceoff- Extra hockey for me!

Home ice for the NCHC playoffs- Got a nice streak going

Winning a game in the NCAAs (appearing in the regional final)- Participation Banner territory

20 win season- Nice but not necessarily required to make the tourney

EDIT: There are many different ways to look at these. On second thought, the Hobey Baker is appealing because it's another trophy but as we have seen in the past, this is not always given to the best player in college hockey player which makes it fall out of favor for me.

1. NCHC regular season title (Penrose Cup) - you could argue that this might even be tougher than going on a 4 game winning streak and winning a Nat'l Championship

2. Winning the NCHC postseason tournament - if you're going to make it, better to win it!

3. NCAA tournament appearance - #3, #4, #5 and #6 go in order...in order go do #6 you have to first do #3, #4, and #5

4. Winning a game in the NCAAs (appearing in the regional final)

5. Advancing to the Frozen Four

6. Appearing in the national championship game (runner-up finish)

7. Making it to Minneapolis for the Frozen Faceoff

8. Home ice for the NCHC playoffs

9. 20 win season

10. Hobey Baker award winner - individual player award...UND only has 2 of these but has a lot of success and tradition even without these

I hear what you're saying about #3, #4, #5, and #6, but don't you think, looking back, a runner-up finish is more important than just making the NCAAs? Maybe just two ways of looking at the same thing.

Dave

So I got to thinking...

Hobey Baker award winner

20 win season

Dave

Frozen Face-Off championship (formerly the Final Five).

I hear what you're saying about #3, #4, #5, and #6, but don't you think, looking back, a runner-up finish is more important than just making the NCAAs? Maybe just two ways of looking at the same thing.

Dave

Yeah, you're right - an NCAA runner up would be better than just making it. Just 2 ways to look at it. I guess I looked at it as in order to get to the championship game, you first have to make the tourney.

Frozen Face-Off championship (formerly the Final Five).

I always thought conference tournaments were important too. Interesting that NCAA and WCHA regular season championships get their own separate banner in REA while the conference tournament championships are all listed on one banner tucked into a corner of the arena.

I always thought conference tournaments were important too. Interesting that NCAA and WCHA regular season championships get their own separate banner in REA while the conference tournament championships are all listed on one banner tucked into a corner of the arena.

Just a commentary on a 3 (or 2) game winning streak versus a season-long workload, I guess. I think regular season titles should have banners more so than conference tourney ones, for sure.

This is going to be fun....and my first post after I started this account years ago...(i read it every day though:P)

I guess I'm really different than you guys too (and I'm adding some that I feel as Sioux fans are important too from the by-product side).

1. NCAA Championship - I know Dave said not to mention it, but I will

2. Hobey Baker - Top player in the country, will forever be mentioned by media, proof of a player's skill which will usually translate to next level(s) success

3. Conference Regular Season Championship - UND has always been in the toughest conference, and however wins that deserves recognition (and a banner)

4. Conference Postseason Championship - Showing you are the best team at the end of the season in the toughest conference / bragging rights over conference rivals

5. Frozen Four Appearances - After all the "trophies" I feel like the amount of Frozen Four appearances is the next big indicator of the success of a program

6. Former/Current Fighting Sioux Players winning Olympic Gold (USA) -

7. Former/Current Fighting Sioux Players winning Olympic Gold (Canada/Other) - This 2 categories prove that our players are top of the world athletes / gives you sense of pride that college hockey / UND / our hockey conferences (WCHA, NCHC) represent our sport well...and I am ranking USA higher because when I tell non-hockey fans that our former player had the most points for his team while winning gold (Toews '10) and then I mention he did it for Canada, it never has the same impact as if USA won gold

8. Former/Current Fighting Sioux Players winning Olympic Medal -

9. Former/Current Fighting Sioux Player Winning Stanley Cup - I'm breaking the "apparent norm" and going to put the Olympic medals higher than Stanley Cup as it shows our former athlete was more elite to make the Olympic squads compared to winning a Stanley Cup because not all NHL Champions are elite players, they give the ring to even the worst player or two on the team...you could think of how of Chris Kuper winning a Super Bowl this year while only playing in a game and see why I ranked Olympic gold more

10. Former/Current Fighting Sioux Player Making Olympic Team - Huge honor and highlight to our program

11. NCAA Tournament Appearance - every playoffs they say how many NCAA Postseasons that each school has achieved

12. NCAA Title Game Appearance - Get to be shown on ESPN for just one night....

13. Conference Tournament Appearance - get to watch our team play one more weekend against our rivals

14. Winning a game In the NCAA's - I don't know how many wins NCAA wins UND or any other school (well I always knew St Cloud had zero, until they actually won a game), winning that game isn't prestigious as "frozen four appearances" or "NCAA appearances", but we do get to watch one more exciting game

15. 20 Win Season - Get to watch a good team for 6 months of the year, which is enjoyable even if people just focus on what item #1 and get pissed, its the winning games (of any kind, regular season, conference, postseason) that hooked us all in to be fans

16. Hosting 1st Round Conference Playoffs - get to watch 2 or 3 more games at the Ralph....creates enjoyment

There is my list in how you can brag about our university to other hockey fans.....or all these bandwagon Bison fans in this state!

Just a commentary on a 3 (or 2) game winning streak versus a season-long workload, I guess. I think regular season titles should have banners more so than conference tourney ones, for sure.

I agree that the regular season title carries more weight but would still like to see banners for each individual playoff title.

Interesting discussion in terms of where folks rank things...

Great topic!

When I stand back and look at "what makes for a great year?" I like to think these rank very high.

1. Advance to Frozen Four - this is the super bowl of hockey and getting there is a testiment of survival. As disappointing as the end results were from 2005-2008, it was still awesome making it to the pinnacle of College Hockey - something only 3 other teams can do. I love following the race for the Pairwise and following the National Tournament. The NCAA baskeball definitely takes a back seat for me.

2. Winning MacNaughton Cup/Penrose - a regular season title is a marathon and it is terrific to finish on top at the end of that race. White banners are great as well.

3. Postseason conference tournament champs - nothing like winning a tournament but for me a six month journey trumps a three day sprint-- even if Alary's is involved. :)

4. Going on a Hot Streak - not on your list either but it is fun as a UND fan to ride the wave of a 10 or 12 game unbeaten streak. As fans of this program over the past 10 years, we are used to a second half surge. It's nice to know you can count on one of these - and they are getting quite common, honestly!

Winning a game in the Frozen Four

Winning the NCHC tournament

Winning the Penrose

Hobey Baker winner

advancing to the NCHC tournament

home ice

20 wins

Nattys. End of story

Perhaps you should read the original message? It talked about ranking accomplishments other than national championships. The message also implied that national titles are a default #1 and asked people to put everything else in order from most to least important. I agree with you on NCAA titles (and have been subsequently ripped for it), but I seriously think you missed the point of the thread.

Perhaps you should read the original message? It talked about ranking accomplishments other than national championships. The message also implied that national titles are a default #1 and asked people to put everything else in order from most to least important. I agree with you on NCAA titles (and have been subsequently ripped for it), but I seriously think you missed the point of the thread.

Oh, he didn't miss the point of the thread. This is just what he does. ???

• Upvote 2

Perhaps you should have read the original message? It said besides national championships. The message also implied that national titles are a default #1 and asked people to put everything else in order from most to least important. I agree with you on NCAA titles (and have been subsequently ripped for it), but I seriously think you missed the point of the thread.

Or not. Maybe gf is the kind of hockey fan whose entire college hockey experience consists of checking the espn schedule in April to see who is playing for 'the natty'. If it his team he watches and celebrates. Nothing wrong with that.

• Upvote 1

I'm just happy to go to the ralph & watch hockey

I'm happy to spend money to watch then play on an sd feed to an Internet connection with hammer and kober talking about gummed up plays along the boards and traditional circles of sticks. After this week, sioux hockey is all icing on the cake for me.

So I'm starting to see some consensus here:

After national titles, some common themes keep appearing:

Winning the Penrose Cup (and formerly, the MacNaughton Cup) is the second most important achievement, and the 15 white banners hanging at REA speak to that - they're the same size as the green banners on the other side. It's a battle every weekend, and to come out on top says a lot about the team's season as a whole. Plus, when was the last time that the league champion from the WCHA (and now, the NCHC) missed the NCAAs? Colorado College in 1994?

A Frozen Four appearance ranks highly for most of you. Can't win a national title if you're not one of the last four teams standing.

Winning the postseason tournament (insert as-yet-unnamed trophy name here/Broadmoor Trophy): not only is this more hardware, and the year gets listed on the wall inside the Ralph, but it also secures a bid to the NCAA tournament, which is why I think it ranks more highly for many of you. Also, most of us have been there to watch several of these since the WCHA Final Five was in St. Paul for so many years.

NCAA tournament appearance. It's nice to be there every year, and a streak of consecutive appearances is pretty impressive. The last time UND wasn't in the tournament field was in 2001-02.

National runner-up/2nd place finish: the game is on ESPN, and a green banner is just one victory away. Of course, the "kicked in the gut" feeling is never fun when the season comes up just short, but there's something about being one of the last two teams standing, especially if the game goes to overtime.

What do you think? Does that sound about right? Any disagreements?

Discuss. :)

Dave