SiouxSports.com Forum

The Nickel Trophy

Blackheart

Wrong. Hockey is right in there with football and basketball. No one sport is king.

My friends in minnesota all had high school hockey teams...even if a few towns had to co-op..in north Dakota...Grafton and hazrn Beulah are the only small towns that have it...hockey is a distant 4th behind football basketball and wrestling....remember...grand forks county is not north Dakota as a whole.

Football is king in ND and it isn't close.

More people attend hockey games in ND then Football. My gosh, hockey, basketball, and football are about equal in ND. Small towns love basketball (highschool), people in the east love hockey (hockey is the highest attended sport in the state), football is also popular all over the state. They are all about equal. And thats fine with me and most of the rest of ND.

My friends in minnesota all had high school hockey teams...even if a few towns had to co-op..in north Dakota...Grafton and hazrn Beulah are the only small towns that have it...hockey is a distant 4th behind football basketball and wrestling....remember...grand forks county is not north Dakota as a whole.

Not true, plenty of kids play Junior Gold in Langdon, Watford, etc. Hockey is not a distant fourth. It is tied right with basketball and football.

More people attend hockey games in ND then Football. My gosh, hockey, basketball, and football are about equal in ND. Small towns love basketball (highschool), people in the east love hockey (hockey is the highest attended sport in the state), football is also popular all over the state. They are all about equal. And thats fine with me and most of the rest of ND.

The only place where hockey is bigger than football in ND is Grand Forks/Grafton.

Not true, plenty of kids play Junior Gold in Langdon, Watford, etc. Hockey is not a distant fourth. It is tied right with basketball and football.

Never heard of junior gold. Hockey is not there....if it was...there would be way more teams...we would pump out more college players...etc. But we don't...because other sports are significantly more popular.

At the youth level the participation in hockey is definitely growing in the non-GF areas of the state. The West is really catching up with the East. I'd guess in the next ten years that the West wins at least 2 state championships, and probably more. Many of the better athletes in Bismarck, Minot... are focusing on hockey. That wasn't the case in the past.

• Upvote 2

At the youth level the participation in hockey is definitely growing in the non-GF areas of the state. The West is really catching up with the East. I'd guess in the next ten years that the West wins at least 2 state championships, and probably more. Many of the better athletes in Bismarck, Minot... are focusing on hockey. That wasn't the case in the past.

I hope you are right. We have heard that before and it hasn't come to fruition. Minot (1992) remains the only West Region team to win a state title.

The point being made here by most is this: NDSU fans come here and talk idiotic smack most of the time because they can't seem to forget about us even though they don't care about us or know who we are. In their defense, they have just won 3 national titles at FCS. Our response to them is that we have hockey and that FCS football is second rate? What a horrible argument and rebuttal. The belittlement of FCS football by hockey snobs is embarrassing to our fanbase. Remember, potential FCS football recruits read this stuff people. This type of thinking is what started the "butthockey" thing at FU. We're behind right now in football, but I can promise you we will catch up soon. Real soon. When we gain traction and get to where we belong at FCS in the playoffs and competing for national championshops, I hope our hockey fans don't sneer at it like they do now. Just a brutal attitude overall.

• Upvote 1

The point being made here by most is this: NDSU fans come here and talk idiotic smack most of the time because they can't seem to forget about us even though they don't care about us or know who we are. In their defense, they have just won 3 national titles at FCS. Our response to them is that we have hockey and that FCS football is second rate? What a horrible argument and rebuttal. The belittlement of FCS football by hockey snobs is embarrassing to our fanbase. Remember, potential FCS football recruits read this stuff people. This type of thinking is what started the "butthockey" thing at FU. We're behind right now in football, but I can promise you we will catch up soon. Real soon. When we gain traction and get to where we belong at FCS in the playoffs and competing for national championshops, I hope our hockey fans don't sneer at it like they do now. Just a brutal attitude overall.

When our football team or NDSU's football team is producing more professional athletes than UND's hockey I will think differently. I know i'm not belittling anything. Its just the truth. Football and Basketball will always be 2nd and 3rd for the fact that UND hockey produces more professional athletes than football and basketball combined.

When our football team or NDSU's football team is producing more professional athletes than UND's hockey I will think differently. I know i'm not belittling anything. Its just the truth. Football and Basketball will always be 2nd and 3rd for the fact that UND hockey produces more professional athletes than football and basketball combined.

That's the criteria you choose to use. Anyone can pick whatever points they choose to make their argument.

Football is by far the most watched sport in ND. I'm talking TV and butts in seats.

When I put TV in there....football is lapping the field.

Butts in the seats? Total attendance? Per game? Percent capacity? Revenue? Season ticket sales? It's all completely subjective.

The amount of professional athletes produced is a ridiculous argument in my opinion. Who cares if the athletes go pro if the TEAM wins collegiately and competes for TEAM championships. Individual emphasis on players is not entertaining or what college sports is about. Go out and support THE University of North Dakota and its athletic TEAMS, not the individuals that utilize our top notch hockey program to go pro. If you really have to focus on individuals, however, then our professional football players (Kleinsasser, Dressler, Kuper) are actually more impressive considering the national competition they're up against.

If you really have to focus on individuals, however, then our professional football players (Kleinsasser, Dressler, Kuper) are actually more impressive considering the national competition they're up against.

National competition?

Who cares?

Let's talk international competition. Parise...captain of the United States Olympic Team. Toews wears the A for Canada. Dave Christian...I assume you have heard of him.

National competition?

Yeah... Not that big of a deal compared to the hockey players that UND has produced. Not even close.