SiouxSports.com Forum

2013 season

gfhockey

Saw we got fuckd on the root sports schedule

Fire faison for letting this happen

North Dakota isn't in the Root Sports footprint. That's like getting pissed at Fox Sports North for not airing the NDSU at Akron basketball game when you live in Idaho. They're doing 10 games in a 13 week season.

I'd imagine the UND vs Montana game last year was one of the least watched games on their schedule because the only people that could watch it were Montana fans and random Big Sky football fans. That played a pretty big role I'm thinking.

UND won the game that was on Root Sports last year (over Montana), but there weren't many other games that would turn heads of Root Sports programming directors and say "We need more games with North Dakota." Win a Big Sky title, and that will change. (I hope). On a related note, was a Midco subscriber able to watch that game last year? I was in Bismarck watching on satellite.

Didn't every Root Sports game last year have either Montana or Montana State? This year only 3 games do not include either team, one on 9/26, (although a Montana Game will be shown on 9/28) one on Nov 16th and one on Nov 23rd, however they are also covering 'Cat/Griz on November 23.- It appears the Root contract is essentially a Montana/Montana State contract

2013 ROOT SPORTS Big Sky Conference Television Schedule

September 26, Cal Poly at Portland State, 7 p.m. PT

September 28, Montana at Northern Arizona, 7 p.m. MT

October 5, Portland State at Montana, TBA

October 19, Montana State at Weber State, TBA

October 26, Eastern Washington at Montana, TBA

November 2, Montana State at Northern Colorado, TBA

November 9, Montana State at Eastern Washington, TBA

November 16, Eastern Washington at Cal Poly, TBA

November 23, Montana at Montana State, TBA

November 23, Portland State at Eastern Washington, TBA

Didn't every Root Sports game last year have either Montana or Montana State? This year only two games do not include either team, one on Nov 16th and one on Nov 23rd, however they are also covering 'Cat/Griz on November 23.- It appears the Root contract is essentially a Montana/Montana State contract

2013 ROOT SPORTS Big Sky Conference Television Schedule

September 26, Cal Poly at Portland State, 7 p.m. PT

September 28, Montana at Northern Arizona, 7 p.m. MT

October 5, Portland State at Montana, TBA

October 19, Montana State at Weber State, TBA

October 26, Eastern Washington at Montana, TBA

November 2, Montana State at Northern Colorado, TBA

November 9, Montana State at Eastern Washington, TBA

November 16, Eastern Washington at Cal Poly, TBA

November 23, Montana at Montana State, TBA

November 23, Portland State at Eastern Washington, TBA

That is a massive recruiting advantage over the rest of the conference.

They've earned it. We need to become a conference power to get on TV. It's no different with any other conference TV deal. Why show Vanderbilt vs Miss St. when you can show LSU vs Florida?

How does Portland State earn 3 tv spots? We beat them and finished with a better record than them. Rename Root Sports...MFN. The Montana Football Network.

Only 7 BSC teams are on Root Sports....7!!! There are 13 teams in the conference at least have 2 different teams a week. They could have shown UND vs Montana State or EWU at UND.

People are going to be more interested in watching teams that are closer to home....especially good teams or teams with name recognition in there area....Montana...Montana State, and Eastern Washington. UND is an outlier and probably needs to do very well in the conference to get the games on tv like these other schools.

They've earned it. We need to become a conference power to get on TV. It's no different with any other conference TV deal. Why show Vanderbilt vs Miss St. when you can show LSU vs Florida?

If you look at the attendance gap between the Montana schools and the rest of the BSC, it is really not that surprising (FCS ranking)

2. Montana 25236

9. Montana State 17627

37. Sac St 9109

40. UND 8692

50 Cal Poly 8566

52 UCD 8215

53 EWU 8089

62 Weber 7416

69 NAU 6787

77 PSU 5957

78 Idaho St 5918

83 SUU 5435

93 UNC 4248

Well then, maybe Faison/UND should invest more money into the football program, try to make them a power in the Big Sky and attract the bigger/better TV deals.

You realize that UND has only been in the Big Sky for 1 season, don't you? And that season was at the end of the transition to Division I? This stuff doesn't happen overnight. Even NDSU didn't win the MVFC their first year, and NDSU fans believe that they are the greatest program in the history of college football.

You realize that UND has only been in the Big Sky for 1 season, don't you? And that season was at the end of the transition to Division I? This stuff doesn't happen overnight. Even NDSU didn't win the MVFC their first year, and NDSU fans believe that they are the greatest program in the history of college football.

They still believe that, even when they went 3-8 just 4 years ago.

Well, Midco televised all our home games last year except the one that Root did, so hopefully they televise all 7 this year. Of course, I can actually get Root whereas Midco is not available to me, but that is another whole can of worms. Bummer we don't get any games on national TV, but given that we were 5-6 last year and way out of Root's footprint, I'm not surprised.

Now, unlike the NCHC deal with CBSSN, the Root contract does not preclude teams from farming out games that they don't pick up to other national networks. Maybe we still have enough of a working relationship with Fox College Sports to persuade them to pick up one or two of Midco's broadcasts.

Never happen...................

Actually, Midco is interested in away games for hockey and football in future years. It will probably come down to money. It isn't cheap to send television crews on the road to broadcast games. They are going to spend a bundle on HD for next year, so it may not happen until one of the following years.

Actually, Midco is interested in away games for hockey and football in future years. It will probably come down to money. It isn't cheap to send television crews on the road to broadcast games. They are going to spend a bundle on HD for next year, so it may not happen until one of the following years.

My guess is that Midco would be interested in picking up the feed of another station for road games in the future, like they did with the outdoor hockey game in Omaha this past season. No way would Midco ever send a crew to Missoula, Bozeman, or Greeley. They have lots of cheaper programming options in Brookings, Fargo, Vermillion, etc...............

I could see them sending Hammer to St. Cloud, Omaha, or Duluth, but not to a Big Sky venue.....................

My guess is that Midco would be interested in picking up the feed of another station for road games in the future, like they did with the outdoor hockey game in Omaha this past season. No way would Midco ever send a crew to Missoula, Bozeman, or Greeley. They have lots of cheaper programming options in Brookings, Fargo, Vermillion, etc...............

I could see them sending Hammer to St. Cloud, Omaha, or Duluth, but not to a Big Sky venue.....................

I disagree. I could very easily see them doing 1 or 2 away games. Especially if rivalries really start developing with schools like Montana or MSU. Those would be games that attract attention, which would drive the revenue needed to pay for the game. I doubt that they will go to Sac State or Portland State in the near future, but making a big deal out of 1 or 2 big away games is a great way for them to increase viewership.

I think that they'll be doing several away hockey series per year before the end of the contract.

I disagree. I could very easily see them doing 1 or 2 away games. Especially if rivalries really start developing with schools like Montana or MSU. Those would be games that attract attention, which would drive the revenue needed to pay for the game. I doubt that they will go to Sac State or Portland State in the near future, but making a big deal out of 1 or 2 big away games is a great way for them to increase viewership.

I think that they'll be doing several away hockey series per year before the end of the contract.

This would probably require UND to become consistently better or equal to EWU. I am not saying it won't happen, but I think that would be the most plausible way to grow a rivalry with the Montana schools. After all, those schools are not close to ND much less out here in Fargo/Grand Forks.