SiouxSports.com Forum

Pairwise Rankings

jimdahl

I would too....but I would rather have have a 1/2 seed and get that first win.

I think QU and minny have those two spots virtually locked up. highest we could get would probably be number 3 overall, and that would take probably losing no more than one more game here on out.

I think QU and minny have those two spots virtually locked up. highest we could get would probably be number 3 overall, and that would take probably losing no more than one more game here on out.

We can possibly overtake Minnesota. Currently we have a better common opponent record than them. They are beating us in RPI, 1 victory over us, and TUC %. We have a better common opponent record right now. So it is 3-1 them. If CC drops out of TUC which they are very close right now with an RPI of .5002 (anything below .5000 drops them out) our TUC percentage would increase. Our comparison in TUC with minnesota would have our record at 9-5-3 and minnesotas would be 8-5-1 heading down the home stretch. If we end up flipping this comparison with minny its now 2-2 with them holding the tie breaker with RPI. If we were to face them in the final five and win we would then win the overall comparison 3-2.

RPI - minny 1 point

TUC - und 1 point

Common Opponent - und 1 point

Head to head - split one point each.

We would obviously have to end well, but the key is getting CC out of the TUC since we are 2-2 against them. We could end up flipping comparisons with both BC and UNH also, but there is really no way for us to overtake Miami unless they completely collapse giving us the comparison in TUC and RPI. The common opponent versus Miami is done. Our one loss versus Alaska at the start of the season killed us in our comparison with Miami.

what 8-9-1 isn't going to cut it? :D that being said when it is all said and done I think msum will end up being a 3-4 seed, minny will be a one seed, und will be a two and scsu will be a two as well and denver a three. I've said it before I would love to end up being an 8 seed paired up in qu's bracket.

I have a bad feeling their going to put three of the five WCHA teams in the same regional and it's going to be something like UND, UMN and DU. Or it could be UMN, SCSU, (insert crap bag) DU... The NCAA will never allow the WCHA to have an all WCHA Frozen Four again.

I have a bad feeling their going to put three of the five WCHA teams in the same regional and it's going to be something like UND, UMN and DU. Or it could be UMN, SCSU, (insert crap bag) DU... The NCAA will never allow the WCHA to have an all WCHA Frozen Four again.

Can't have three teams from the same conference in the same regional.

Didn't they put UND, Denver, and Wisconsin in the same regional in Madison a few years back?

yes they did in 2008....just learned something today. First round matchups are avoided unless a conference has 5 or more teams selected. In that case integrity of the bracket is maintained. So it would be possible to have three teams from one conference in a regional.

Didn't they put UND, Denver, and Wisconsin in the same regional in Madison a few years back?

Yes, and a sub .500 Wisco team beat Denver in the first round and then lost in overtime to UND in the Regional final. I can't remember why they were all placed in the same regional. The only way I can see it happening again is if 4 teams from the same conference all are the same seed (i.e. all 3 seeds finishing 9, 10, 11, and 12 in the final pairwise rankings.)

one of the reasons that happened in 2008 is because the wcha had 6 schools in and wisc and cc were hosts and you had 3 wcha schools as 2 seeds so it was unavoidable. i do think the ncaa will do all it can to avoid that of possible. now if the wcha has 6 teams in this year then yes that could happen again. unless omaha plays itself in here in the next few weeks I don't think it will be an issue. as it stands right now the wcha would have one 1 seed, 2 two seeds and two three seeds with enough room to wiggle around.

Ha I actually live in Maine. But nothing makes you more aware of how extensive the east coast bias is (in all aspects of life, not just sports) like being a non-easterner living out east!

I have relatives in the Boston area...I swear, anything on a map to the left of Worcester is considered 'west coast.' Back in the early 1990's, I had them convinced that US mail was still delivered in the Dakotas by Pony Express. Unbelievable.

I have relatives in the Boston area...I swear, anything on a map to the left of Worcester is considered 'west coast.' Back in the early 1990's, I had them convinced that US mail was still delivered in the Dakotas by Pony Express. Unbelievable.

It isn't? I thought it was that or dog sled...at least that is what they told me at the post office ;)

My Dad told me when they shipped out of NY for the military during WW2 easterners asked him if they still had to fight Indians occasionally...of course he said yes.

Yes, and a sub .500 Wisco team beat Denver in the first round and then lost in overtime to UND in the Regional final. I can't remember why they were all placed in the same regional. The only way I can see it happening again is if 4 teams from the same conference all are the same seed (i.e. all 3 seeds finishing 9, 10, 11, and 12 in the final pairwise rankings.)

Umm. That is actually the scenario that would make the NCAA the least likely to place teams from the same conference in the same regional. :sad:

Umm. That is actually the scenario that would make the NCAA the least likely to place teams from the same conference in the same regional. :sad:

I guess I need to explain this a little deeper for you...... For example, if there are four number 2 seeds from the wcha and there is also a fifth team from the wcha that is a 3 seed, then there is no way for the committee to avoid a first round matchup.

UND closes in on NCAA tournament berth

The biggest story of the week that Quinnipiac's position has only become stronger.

Quinnipiac (PWR Details) is particularly safe, even a catastrophe seems to only drop them 3 spots. Winning only 2 of their remaining 4 would leave them with only about a 10% chance of falling from the #1 spot. Their .7778 vs. TUCs is unassailable, and .5828 RPI is miles ahead of #2 Minnesota .5658. To put that RPI into perspective, if Minnesota swept its final 6 games their RPI would only rise to about .5738 (Minnesota RPI details).

20130221UNDendofseason.png