SiouxSports.com Forum
Sign in to follow this  
GeauxSioux

Volleyball Recruiting

9 hours ago, UND Fan said:

I believe Hunt is a 6'3" MB - she played with a good JR team over the summer.

We also had a commitment from OH Brynn Nieukirk, 6'2”, Washington (Community), IL.  I don't if she is still expected to sign. 

Nieukirk is in. 

Pryor may be attempting to get someone to replace Merseli.  They both are listed as OH, but are really rover types.  The typical OH only plays in the front row, but they seem much more mobile full time players including defense in the back row.

UConn had a new coach last season, so it wasn't the same situation she signed for.

12 minutes ago, SiouxVolley said:

Pryor may be attempting to get someone to replace Merseli.  They both are listed as OH, but are really rover types.  The typical OH only plays in the front row, but they seem much more mobile full time players including defense in the back row.

UConn had a new coach last season, so it wasn't the same situation she signed for.

Also, UConn volleyball is not very good relatively speaking finished with q losing record last year.  Lost to Sac St. 3-2.  But it is interesting that she chose to head so far west.  At 5'9" I agree that she will more in be in the Merselli mode, hitting back row and some OH.  She appears to be very good on defense and collecting digs.  

18 minutes ago, SiouxVolley said:

2 minutes ago, dmksioux said:

Also, UConn volleyball is not very good relatively speaking finished with q losing record last year.  Lost to Sac St. 3-2.  But it is interesting that she chose to head so far west.  At 5'9" I agree that she will more in be in the Merselli mode, hitting back row and some OH.  She appears to be very good on defense and collecting digs.  

Got it.  Thanks.  I agree that it's interesting that she chose to come so far west, with her family being in New York.

She hits at the same % as Merseli, .168.  

It does seem odd but on the other hand, I could see someone in her situation looking at UND as a place to go.   With the exception of Wichita St, UND right now is a program on par with all the schools in the American.  So you move to a program that:  a) has similar, if not better, talent; b) schedules aggressively; c) has a strong chance to win its league; and d) plays before 4X the crowd that you do now.

• Upvote 1

By  UConn's schedule, they never played in Wichita this year, but she did play iin Peoria.  The Midwest crowds, Wichita St drew over 7000 for its NCAA games on its home floor, seem to be enticing for eastern girls that won't get crowds except Penn St.