SiouxSports.com Forum

Final 5

Siouxmama

I had a "discussion" with someone yesterday about the Final 5.

Please clarify for me.

1: Is it a WCHA event

2: Is it ALWAYS the top 5 teams in the WCHA at a certain point in the season.

3: Are exceptions ever made (like if the Gophers are in 7th place, they get to play anyway, because it's in St. Paul)

OK. I think I know the answers to all of these, but I need back-up. :D

Another question. Did TJ play in juniors, or come straight to UND?

• Replies 143
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

1. It is a WCHA event, historically sponsored by Red Baron pizza

2. It is the winners of the 5 first round playoff series that follow the regular season

3. The Gophers do not auitomatically get to play. They might adjust the first round matchup to allow the Gophers to play the evening game fro attendence (this is junk)

4. TJ came straight from high school. He did play a couple USHL games following his senior season at Warroad

1. It is a WCHA event, historically sponsored by Red Baron pizza

2. It is the winners of the 5 first round playoff series that follow the regular season

3. The Gophers do not auitomatically get to play. They might adjust the first round matchup to allow the Gophers to play the evening game fro attendence (this is junk)

4. TJ came straight from high school. He did play a couple USHL games following his senior season at Warroad

Oshie actually played in (11) games with the Sioux Falls Stampede. He was able to make (3) games prior to his Warroad Warrior season and (8) games after. Oshie did this concurrently while playing in approximately (25) games in the 2004 MN Elite HS League.

He did play in the minimum of (10) games so Sioux Falls retained his rights for the 2005-06 season but when UND gave him the chance to attend UND in the fall of '05 he accepted.

The decision was made final in late May '05 for Oshie to become a Fighting Sioux for the 2005-06 season.

So I guess it would be correct that Oshie did come straight from Warroad High School to the UND Fighting Sioux after winning a 2005 MN State Class A Championship.

tj played 11 games with sioux falls after is high school seaosn ended i believe

http://www.hockeydb.com/ihdb/stats/pdispla...pid%5B%5D=81042

the game time change for the gophers is a waste of breathe or its really not a game time change rather than how its set up from the first game. its catered for biggest crowds to generate most revenue. will leave it at that. theres nothing that will change it and is worthless debate.

who in the hell thought the gophers automaticaly got to play :D

I would think a F5 without the goophs would be OK ?

less parking problems - bars & resturants not as busy

I know many like it all crazy - & it is Fun - but there are times it would be OK, to not have to hear the rouser :D

tj played 11 games with sioux falls after is high school seaosn ended i believe

Oshie was given the chance to play the entire fall (and season for that matter) for the Sioux Falls Stampede but denied it because he was commited to playing for Team Great Plains of the Upper Midwest Elite HS Hockey League. He did this to get a chance to knock it around w/ other kids from Section 8A/AA and North Dakota players.

Obviously Sioux Falls wanted him full-time but he made "the pact" with the rest of the Warroad Warriors to stay unified and get back to the 2005 Minnesota State Class "A" Tournament. He stayed true to his word and as you know Warroad went undefeated at 29-0-2 and won it's second title in three years.

Sound familiar?

Even though UND didn't win a NCAA title in 2006 or 2007, Oshie wants something more then just Frozen Four appearances. He wants to win a Natty with his closest friends, just like the did at Warroad HS.

The latter remains to be seen (UND's #8) but it goes to show you his dedication to that jersey he proudly represents.

This is brought up from time to time -- usually on this board -- but in terms of the Gophers always playing on Friday night, this is voted on by all league teams on an annual basis and the vote is always nine to one in favor of this; Minnesota is the only team to consistently vote against themselves playing the night-cap on Friday.

This is brought up from time to time -- usually on this board -- but in terms of the Gophers always playing on Friday night, this is voted on by all league teams on an annual basis and the vote is always nine to one in favor of this; Minnesota is the only team to consistently vote against themselves playing the night-cap on Friday.

minny does that so it makes them look like they shouldnt when they know the other teams will vote for them anyways. very obvious. i dont care really. the early game on friday is the game you want anyways as you get more of a rest time for saturdays title game. to me its a non issue overall but i know there are some that do have a problem with it and thats cool as well. i think the final 5 may look a little different this season than normal. til then..........

I believe the Gophers won't even be in the Final 5. I wonder how many tickets will be for sale after they lose the first round of the playoffs?

This year the Tourney weekend is on Good Friday (no school for me!) :D Won't have to have a "Dentist appt." ;)

I don't have tickets yet but don't see a problem when very few MN schools will be playing.

I believe the Gophers won't even be in the Final 5. I wonder how many tickets will be for sale after they lose the first round of the playoffs?

This year the Tourney weekend is on Good Friday (no school for me!) :D Won't have to have a "Dentist appt." ;)

I don't have tickets yet but don't see a problem when very few MN schools will be playing.

a lot of hockey yet to be played for sure and theres a big bunch for the 3-7th spots in the wcha. it could be a very interesting final 5 but a lot could change from here til march. i said from beginning of the season it will be a big 10 free final 5. not a slap at minny and sconnie, just how i see it going down this season from watching many games. thats all.

True, the Gophers do not get an automatic bid, however WCHA officials do their best to ensure they make it to the final five.

Did the WCHA officials hold Anchorage to 12 shots on goal in the third game last year? Oh well, you wouldn't be a Sioux fan if there weren't referee conspiracies involved.

I would think a F5 without the goophs would be OK ?

less parking problems - bars & resturants not as busy

I know many like it all crazy - & it is Fun - but there are times it would be OK, to not have to hear the rouser :D

There is a great possibility of that happening.

True, the Gophers do not get an automatic bid, however WCHA officials do their best to ensure they make it to the final five.

I wouldn't want to be the team that has to play the Badgers or the Gophers in the first round. Who ever plays the Gophers is going to get Campion and or Sheppard they are going to get called for everything. Your also going to have old man Sheppard in the stands as well...

Conspiracy we will see what happens and talk to me after the series because you heard it here first.

There will be 4 or 5 teams legitimately fighting for the 3rd, 4th and 5th seeds in the Final Five and it will probably be close contests to decide it. That's my guess, anyway. If it were right now it could be anyone in those spots. Things might be clearer when/if we see some teams finding their stride over the 2nd half.

There will be 4 or 5 teams legitimately fighting for the 3rd, 4th and 5th seeds in the Final Five and it will probably be close contests to decide it. That's my guess, anyway. If it were right now it could be anyone in those spots. Things might be clearer when/if we see some teams finding their stride over the 2nd half.

It will be interesting to see which teams get hot both in league and nationally. Its time for UND to become a contenders and lets see who the pretenders are.

Did the WCHA officials hold Anchorage to 12 shots on goal in the third game last year? Oh well, you wouldn't be a Sioux fan if there weren't referee conspiracies involved.

you are the gopher poster of the year, damn genious - and you wouldnt be a gopher fan unless you popped your little head out of your hole to share your spectacular posts....thanks ;)

big wins over wayne state last weekend

you are the gopher poster of the year, damn genious - and you wouldnt be a gopher fan unless you popped your little head out of your hole to share your spectacular posts....thanks ;)

big wins over wayne state last weekend

:D;) Sounds like said Goofer poster is posting the company line again. This weekend we will hear that the Gopher players that went to the WJC are tired.

If what you say is true...perhaps that is why they vote not to play that game? Either way, you can't win if you are Minnesota in this instance. That's convenient.

So we are not going to be there..but, the WCHA is going to put Campion et al in place to ensure it? I see a pattern here. ;) Just creeping out of my hole. You are 4 points ahead of us with 2 more games played. I see why you feel your at such a lofty position.

If what you say is true...perhaps that is why they vote not to play that game? Either way, you can't win if you are Minnesota in this instance. That's convenient.

So we are not going to be there..but, the WCHA is going to put Campion et al in place to ensure it? I see a pattern here. ;) Just creeping out of my hole. You are 4 points ahead of us with 2 more games played. I see why you feel your at such a lofty position.

like i said, there is tons of hockey to be played and the wcha race is very bunched up. look through non maroon glasses and tell me how your team is really playing this season? are you very excited that they are on a 2 game win streak vs wayne state? dont think so, i sure in hell wouldnt be after dropping a game to RIT and having a sister kisser with air force.. not that good. ive had many gopher fans tell me they wouldnt be suprised if the gophers didnt make the final 5 and then the ncaa tourney this season with what has happend. injuries, quitters ect.............and dont sell yourself short, you dont live in a hole, just genious posters like tc transpant and other trolly gopher fans live there..you are good to go :D

nobody here thinks the sioux are in a lofty position in the wcha, anyone can see that. we have been splitsville all year vs the toughest schedule in the nation and are sitting 9th in the pairwise when the gophers have struggled with bad teams at home of all places. the gophers schedule gets tougher as well. maybe carman will help like we have discussed but lucia even said it in a post game interview as the gophers have to plays 110% every shift every night as they dont have the plain ol skill to just step out and win this seasons. cant beat the wcha and college hockey

I disagree. There will be 10 teams fighting for ALL of the seeds in the Final Five. 2 years ago, #9 tUMD knocked off #2 DU (remember? You were sitting at the next table!!), and two years before that, #7 UAA knocked off #3 UW. CC and DU may be in a class by themselves, but they both have their weaknesses, especially CC with the shorter bench now.

I disagree. There will be 10 teams fighting for ALL of the seeds in the Final Five. 2 years ago, #9 tUMD knocked off #2 DU (remember? You were sitting at the next table!!), and two years before that, #7 UAA knocked off #3 UW. CC and DU may be in a class by themselves, but they both have their weaknesses, especially CC with the shorter bench now.

I think the suspension are going to catch up with C.C. and DU is a good team but they are also very young.

I don't think there is a big a drop off in this league as some are suggesting. Nothing is a given.