SiouxSports.com Forum

SiouxSports.com defamed?

PCM

But, as someone who is very close to the majority of Herald staff writers and editors, I can honestly say there is no vast conspiracy about the nickname, which is what it would take to have someone actually making a conscious intentional effort to turn off certain comment lines and leave others on. I have seen examples where it may have appeared that way, especially to someone who is outside of the newsroom and who can only judge from the outside looking in. And may I say I understand this. I have complained to the newsroom Web guy during these instances, and in many cases the Webmaster on duty at the time, says "Oh sh*t, thanks I forgot. I'll get one up." Other times, I am sure I have missed, and it probably went on with out a comment line. The Web guy a lot of times is a college kid who could care less about the nickname or not as he's not an alum or from here. And he's not getting orders from higher to skew information or not print stuff because it will be damaging to the anti nickname cause.

I certainly didn't mean to imply a vast conspiracy, and if I gave that impression, appreciate your giving me the opportunity to clarify that. Believe me, I'm the wrong guy to whom to try to sell conspiracies.

My mentioning the Herald was in the context of wanting to note that I think a newspaper opinion page is a friendlier environment for someone who prefers giving a speech to engaging in a debate. If applicable in this case, that would be an indictment of Ms. Hofmann, not of the Herald. Her use of their pulpit doesn't reflect any unique failing of the Herald or its editors any more than a racist posting here reflects any unique failing of SiouxSports.com or me.

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hmmmm Teeder11 is "very close to the majority of Herald staff writers and editors" "you don't know who I am, at least online... I know many of the more frequent posters on here personally. And you know who I am, and we get a long quite well, though I've never brought up my id. I know a lot of your ids from others who have told me."

Sounds like a friendly challenge!! :glare:

Hmmm?? He/she has previously signed posts as "Fred, Canmore, Alb."

I did a little research on Sudie Hofmann's column in which she claimed, "One post said that nickname protesters at UND should be run over with a truck."

I found one post in a thread called "Protest at Homecoming."

I'd get me a junker truck and plow through these gumbas.

So it sounds as if Sudie might be on to something, right? Unfortunately, there's this thing called "context" that people like Sudie often ignore. The first thing to keep in mind is that Diggler rarely expects anyone to take his posts seriously. (If I have offended poor Diggler in any way, I deeply and sincerely apologize. :glare: )

But the most important part is that anyone who bothered to read the thread would understand that Diggler's post had nothing to with "protestors at UND." It was in reference to this piece by Star-Tribune columnist Katherine Kersten: Bike-riding mob owns the streets of Minneapolis.

Diggler was not advocating running over UND protestors with a truck. He was expressing his desire to run down the lawless, bike-riding mob in Minneapolis with a truck.

Unfortunately, the subtlety and nuance of Diggler's prose is often too much for the average person to comprehend. :ohmy:

O jeez, I don't even want to get started with Katherine Kersten over her Critical Mass article . . .

Glad you guys are doing the research. I'm glad someone took the time to dig up that post!

EDIT: I was going to write more of a reply, but I figured it wasn't appropriate for this discussion. I have started a new thread here.

Class Action Lawsuit!!!! I'm naming everyone from Sudie to Roy to Craig Dahl to Chubbs Arnason to Todd Bouman to Dude Love!!!!

Hey, I think you might get a law student to help you with your lawsuit. It will probably only cost you the price of a Fighting Sioux hockey jersey. :glare:

I did a little research on Sudie Hofmann's column in which she claimed, "One post said that nickname protesters at UND should be run over with a truck."

I found one post in a thread called "Protest at Homecoming."

So it sounds as if Sudie might be on to something, right? Unfortunately, there's this thing called "context" that people like Sudie often ignore. The first thing to keep in mind is that Diggler rarely expects anyone to take his posts seriously. (If I have offended poor Diggler in any way, I deeply and sincerely apologize. :glare: )

But the most important part is that anyone who bothered to read the thread would understand that Diggler's post had nothing to with "protestors at UND." It was in reference to this piece by Star-Tribune columnist Katherine Kersten: Bike-riding mob owns the streets of Minneapolis.

Diggler was not advocating running over UND protestors with a truck. He was expressing his desire to run down the lawless, bike-riding mob in Minneapolis with a truck.

Unfortunately, the subtlety and nuance of Diggler's prose is often too much for the average person to comprehend. :ohmy:

Diggler, were you tryin' to say 'goombah'? I think I'm actually offended...I'm Italian!

I was. I can't even spell correctly. I suck at life. :ohmy:

All I can do with my life now is to go to Target and look for racist Christmas toys. :ohmy:

Yea, no doubt. If I asked my six year old how to spell 'goombah,' he'd at least start off with "g" then "o" and "o" before losing it. G-u-m? What the hell was that? :glare:

I chuckle at names like that. However, I triple dog dare you to call my grandpa a 'goombah' and see what kind of reaction you get. :ohmy:

I certainly didn't mean to imply a vast conspiracy, and if I gave that impression, appreciate your giving me the opportunity to clarify that. Believe me, I'm the wrong guy to whom to try to sell conspiracies.

My mentioning the Herald was in the context of wanting to note that I think a newspaper opinion page is a friendlier environment for someone who prefers giving a speech to engaging in a debate. If applicable in this case, that would be an indictment of Ms. Hofmann, not of the Herald. Her use of their pulpit doesn't reflect any unique failing of the Herald or its editors any more than a racist posting here reflects any unique failing of SiouxSports.com or me.

Jim:

Sorry it's taken me so long to get back to you. I had to go up north on business and was out of computer range. No problem at all about your first post that launched my rant. LOL. And no offense taken at all. I appreciate your comments, though, and keep up the great work on this site. I love it.

Regards,

Fred

Looks like Sudie should be careful before casting stones. :huh::lol:

More news from White Cloud State

During the fall semester, swastikas have been found etched on bathroom doors, on the wall of the multicultural center, and in one case a drawing was slipped under a faculty member's office door. On Tuesday a Ku Klux Klan hood and a burning cross symbol drawn on a card was found in the Student Center bathroom.

"They are [understandably] frightened," said Potter. "We know that when people feel a lack of safety, learning is impaired. This hurts the ability to focus and learn, and that strikes at the purpose of what we are about."

Maybe some should worry about their university first before they butt their noses into some one elses business.

Maybe some should worry about their university first before they butt their noses into some one elses business.

AMEN!!!!! I don't see any of that happening at UND so is that why we have to change our nickname, maybe we should be called the Huskies then no violence at the campus will happen.

FBI: St. Cloud #1 MN city in 2006 for reported hate crimes. When will the banner be raised?

Hate is a constitutionally protected right. The first amendment to the US constitution actually protects one's right to express hate. For example many people hate political corruption and corrupt politicians and in some instances it may even be healthy to vent and verbally express feelings about something or somebody.

However, acts of violence against other human beings is a crime.

Hate is a constitutionally protected right. The first amendment to the US constitution actually protects one's right to express hate. For example many people hate political corruption and corrupt politicians and in some instances it may even be healthy to vent and verbally express feelings about something or somebody.

However, acts of violence against other human beings is a crime.

huh? too much sun fried your brain... completely missed the point and sarcasm. However, since I'm typing this, try honing up with this link: http://www.fbi.gov/ucr/hc2006/index.html

huh? too much sun fried your brain... completely missed the point and sarcasm. However, since I'm typing this, try honing up with this link: http://www.fbi.gov/ucr/hc2006/index.html

Every crime is a "hate" crime. People who rape hate and want to control women. People who murder hate the ones being murdered, etc. All crimes of violence are terrible, end of story.