SiouxSports.com Forum

What's the story behind...

octupus99

I'm fairly new to Grand Forks and really new to the forumn. Can someone explain what the deal is with this K Dawg guy and his sidekick Gretzky? Who are they? Where did they come from? Are they coaches or spirit squad?

Also what's with Brian Lee? Why did everyone blame him for everything? I thought he was a good player.

Can someone answer these questions?

Thanks for your help and let's beat the Goofers!

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm fairly new to Grand Forks and really new to the forumn. Can someone explain what the deal is with this K Dawg guy and his sidekick Gretzky? Who are they? Where did they come from?

Thanks for your help and let's beat the Goofers!

Kalker and Gretzky rule. Gretzky used to show up in his snowmobile suit to play hockey with us at the Lake Agassiz outdoor rink. Good times.

They come from a mythical land.

We don't play the Gophers this weekend, we play the Pioneers from Denver. :ohmy:

What's the name of the mythical land? Oz? Vulcan? Middle Earth? I was wondering because I see them on the sidelines at the football game and they act like they're coaching. I wasn't sure. I was told that was K Dawg and Gretzky and they know all about Sioux sports.

I started going through the board and couldn't find anything on them, but I noticed Brian Lee is blamed for a lot of things.

I tried to follow the team when I was stuck in Jamestown, but I don't remember reading about the dynamic duo or Lee all that much.

I was told that was K Dawg and Gretzky and they know all about Sioux sports.

Not only everything about Sioux sports, but Kalker also knows all about GF HS athletics.

He is like Rainman. He might not be able to tie his own shoes (velcro), but he could tell you who won the 1976 ND State HS Football champs, what the score was, and how many yards the running back had for the winning team.

My two favorite Kalk and Gretzky stories:

When they biked out to the airport in below 0 temps to greet the national champ Sioux hockey team when their flight came in.

When the Boys Ranch came to Kalk's house for donations and Gretzky gave them Kalk's TV, so Kalk duct taped Gretzky to a chair.

LOL That is beautiful. Ha ha, where did you get that TV story? That is classic. My co-worker suggested you should send that to David Letterman. You could do a top ten K dawg story. Man, that was funny. Do you have anymore?

Now that Brian Lee wasn't like these guys was he?

LOL That is beautiful. Ha ha, where did you get that TV story? That is classic. My co-worker suggested you should send that to David Letterman. You could do a top ten K dawg story. Man, that was funny. Do you have anymore?

Mark Kauk AKA-"The Kaukster" is easily one of the top 10 if not the most popular person in Grand Forks. He lives to attend sports practices and games from Junior High to College, mostly hockey and football. I played HS hockey over 10 years ago and he knows my name and waves to me every time I see him to this day.

Gretzky, who is also very well known, is his buddy. I am sorry I do not remember his real name. They tour the outdoor rinks in the winter challenging anybody that wants to take them on. The both are VIPs at football games and can be seen at hockey games as well.

My best story is when we were at Ben Franklin school outdoor rink and Gretzky got hit in the head with a slapshot. He hit the ice and it looked like he would be hurt badly. He just got up, shook his head and kept going like nothing happened. Greatest ever.

Brian Lee came in with high expectations and in my opinion, never lived up to them at the college level. More was expected of him and people were dissapointed that he got so much ice time and never turned into a superstar. Perhaps he will do better at the next level because I thought it was obvious that he had a ton of hockey potential.

That really is the argument about Brian Lee here on SS. A lot of people, if not the majority do not think he lived up to his potential, especially since he was a number 1 draft choice for Ottawa. He did put up some good numbers offensively, for a defensemen, but I think his lack of physical play, and being caught out of position at times, really put him on the negative side for a lot of Sioux fans. Me personally, I think Brian did fine, and don't think he was as bad as others will say, but I think I'm probably one in the minority on the topic.

honestly i watched brian lee play in high school and i didnt see anything special about him at all and i think chris vandevelde deserved the Mr hockey award way before him chris was/is a fun person to watch play hockey. Brian was definately more hype than skill but thats just my opinion :D

honestly i watched brian lee play in high school and i didnt see anything special about him at all and i think chris vandevelde deserved the Mr hockey award way before him chris was/is a fun person to watch play hockey. Brian was definately more hype than skill but thats just my opinion :D

Well, Vandy's a hell of a player no doubt about it, but for my money Minnesota Mr. Hockey of 2005 wears #7 for the Sioux.

i agree. what a great hockey mind you are.

Mark and Shannahan are the two biggest sports supporters in Grand Forks and the surrounding communities.

Couple years back the GF Herald had a well-written 2 full page article in there about Mark. Does anyone have a link for that? Or know what I'm talking about?

Mark and Shannahan are the two biggest sports supporters in Grand Forks and the surrounding communities.

Couple years back the GF Herald had a well-written 2 full page article in there about Mark. Does anyone have a link for that? Or know what I'm talking about?

You can find the article in the Herald Archives, but you have to pay $2.95 to read it.

• 2 weeks later...

I wanted to follow up on here and let everyone know I met the Kaukster and Gretzky. They were cool guys. Gretzky was a little wound up about the girl selling 50/50 tickets and K-Dawg kept talking about Subway sandwiches. I was told these two guys are in a Subway commercial now. If that is true, does anyone have a link? The guy is a walking sports encyclopedia, but like I said he would go from talking hockey to talking about pickles and cold cuts.

Does anyone out there have a picture of the gopher that hit the ice on Saturday?

No, Lee was nothing like these guys. K-dawg and Gretzky play the body more.

Does this K-Dawg sit behind the Sioux bench and possibly wear an Oshie jersey? This guy I see sitting there seems to really love the Sioux and seems to fit the bill.

Also, count me in the minority.....I thought Lee did ok. I think most UND fans are used to the Commodores amd Greens and Lee was never that big physical guy.

Mark Kauk AKA-"The Kaukster" is easily one of the top 10 if not the most popular person in Grand Forks. He lives to attend sports practices and games from Junior High to College, mostly hockey and football. I played HS hockey over 10 years ago and he knows my name and waves to me every time I see him to this day.

Gretzky, who is also very well known, is his buddy. I am sorry I do not remember his real name. They tour the outdoor rinks in the winter challenging anybody that wants to take them on. The both are VIPs at football games and can be seen at hockey games as well.

My best story is when we were at Ben Franklin school outdoor rink and Gretzky got hit in the head with a slapshot. He hit the ice and it looked like he would be hurt badly. He just got up, shook his head and kept going like nothing happened. Greatest ever.

Brian Lee came in with high expectations and in my opinion, never lived up to them at the college level. More was expected of him and people were dissapointed that he got so much ice time and never turned into a superstar. Perhaps he will do better at the next level because I thought it was obvious that he had a ton of hockey potential.

Used to shoot pool, watch Days of Our Lives and eat lunch over the noon hour with those 2 at the Union back in the day. Both look the same when I run into them as they did in the late '80s. K-Dawg's boiler is alittle bigger, but I think Slim Fast is out of the question for him. UND icons!!

I was one of the Few Lee fans...

So he was timid, so he left early...And he had blond hair...

I would have liked to see him go 1 more year...

But the way the season is going, everything would have been his fault...

Could you imagine if Blais would of lost the bubble hockey? Fans would have been all over Lee...

Kauk is a crazy man...I love it!!!

If Lee were still here there wouldn't be nearly as many defensive problems.

I never thought we saw the potential of Brian Lee, but to some around here saying that was a brutal attack on the guy. I agree that he would have likely been a dominant player in his third or fourth year here if he would have stuck around.