SiouxSports.com Forum

goaltending

bleedgreen4sioux

that very well could be the way they go. that would suck as a goalie though if you ended up being decent and then played 4 years but couldnt play that last semester their 4th season after using all eligability :)

Agreed but this program is not going to go into the second half of the season without a third goalie who can play at the WCHA level. To do so could be suicide.

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Agreed but this program is not going to go into the second half of the season without a third goalie who can play at the WCHA level. To do so could be suicide.

Are you serious?

In order for our third goaltender to have playing time we'd have to have a goaltender situation like we did in 2001-2002 OR JPL and Walski will have to be injured.

I say find some 21 year old stiff who just aged out of the NAHL or USHL (at Christmas break), get him enrolled and hand him a personally numbered practice jersey, a sewing kit, and a coupon for dry cleaners in town who specialize in removing puck marks from jerseys.

Are you serious?

In order for our third goaltender to have playing time we'd have to have a goaltender situation like we did in 2001-2002 OR JPL and Walski will have to be injured.

I say find some 21 year old stiff who just aged out of the NAHL or USHL (at Christmas break), get him enrolled and hand him a personally numbered practice jersey, a sewing kit, and a coupon for dry cleaners in town who specialize in removing puck marks from jerseys.

Thats not very nice either.

Who's to say that there isn't a guy out there somewhere that could come in and push JPL and Walski for playing time this year? These coaches (hell, all coaches) obviously aren't stupid and are prepared to handle a number of scenarios that possibly could come up. To think that they aren't going to bring someone in to challenge our existing goalie roster because they might hurt some feelings or because they don't want to "waste a year of eligibility" is being naive about the situation.

AZSioux,

If a player came in at semester break and played in more than X games, they would lose a full year of eligibility. If that player did not appear in X number of games (used to be 1/4 of season??), they would still have option of redshirt. Someone please correct me on the particulars, but I don't think you have to "declare" a redshirt before the season begins. There would be no "only eligible 1st semester of senior year" situation.

Who's to say that there isn't a guy out there somewhere that could come in and push JPL and Walski for playing time this year? These coaches (hell, all coaches) obviously aren't stupid and are prepared to handle a number of scenarios that possibly could come up. To think that they aren't going to bring someone in to challenge our existing goalie roster because they might hurt some feelings or because they don't want to "waste a year of eligibility" is being naive about the situation.

AZSioux,

If a player came in at semester break and played in more than X games, they would lose a full year of eligibility. If that player did not appear in X number of games (used to be 1/4 of season??), they would still have option of redshirt. Someone please correct me on the particulars, but I don't think you have to "declare" a redshirt before the season begins. There would be no "only eligible 1st semester of senior year" situation.

not sure on the eligibility rules and also im not worried about phil being pushed. its his team and it will be all season. i understand what you are getting at for sure but phil has been around the block at UND and helping the sioux push for #8 is his main objective

Are you serious?

Very Serious. if the unthinkable happens do you want a stiff in the net for the NCAAs. I would call that an unfortunate suicide but still suicide to have let it happen. What would you call oh great hockey guru.

First I'm accused of being a genius and now I'm a hockey guru? I'm flattered. :)

My point is that it really doesn't matter who the third goaltender is as long as he has experience at the high school level or higher and is moderately competent at that.

Open tryouts can produce that. I believe SCSU had some third stringer out of St. Cloud Cathedral (Or some high school in town) for a year. Was there for a year. Gone after that. Never heard of him since.

We just need a guy who can give us what we need.

I think we should get a big goaltender. Someone who is 6'2 or taller. They seem to give us a lot of trouble.

Seriously, though, I don't think it is going to matter who Hak finds. I doubt he'll be more than a practice goaltender...

I know there's an NCAA rule that says you have to dress two goalies per game (and having just two leaves no margin for health issues). Given that ....

Some simple little questions:

Are there NCAA rules about who can be in a practice? Do they have to be an enrolled student?

When's the last day to add/drop a class?

The answers to those may help to narrow who is being looked at.

First I'm accused of being a genius and now I'm a hockey guru? I'm flattered. :)

My point is that it really doesn't matter who the third goaltender is as long as he has experience at the high school level or higher and is moderately competent at that.

Open tryouts can produce that. I believe SCSU had some third stringer out of St. Cloud Cathedral (Or some high school in town) for a year. Was there for a year. Gone after that. Never heard of him since.

We just need a guy who can give us what we need.

I think we should get a big goaltender. Someone who is 6'2 or taller. They seem to give us a lot of trouble.

Seriously, though, I don't think it is going to matter who Hak finds. I doubt he'll be more than a practice goaltender...

Very true. The only exception would be in case of an injury or two. That said you can't just enroll someone with the only thought is to have as a practice tender!

Pretty doubtful that Belfour was enrolled for that week when he was on campus.

That's a good answer to that. :)

So, given that Hak has been heard to say "by Monday" regarding a third goalie I'd be led to believe it would have to be a student.

I guess the "last day to enroll" question might be key (unless there's an option already on campus).

EDIT: Last day to add a full-term course was back in early September.

That's a good answer to that. :sad:

So, given that Hak has been heard to say "by Monday" regarding a third goalie I'd be led to believe it would have to be a student.

I guess the "last day to enroll" question might be key (unless there's an option already on campus).

Kelkar or Gretzky could do it. :)

certainly not this year maybe after a couple years in juniors but thats still a long shot, with the players in front of him at RR he doesn't have to face many quality scoring chances making his numbers look good.

Exactly what I was thinking. I think there are other goalies in the state that would be nearly as good if they had his D. That being said, I don't think they fit the bill.

Exactly what I was thinking. I think there are other goalies in the state that would be nearly as good if they had his D. That being said, I don't think they fit the bill.

The kid out of Fargo is just as good or better. Groves is also a big time goalie. The only way Arneson see's the bench for the Fighting Sioux is if he becomes the student equipment manager.

The kid out of Fargo is just as good or better. Groves is also a big time goalie. The only way Arneson see's the bench for the Fighting Sioux is if he becomes the student equipment manager.

I agree, it was just a suggestion. I think that RR Defense is really good making Pat look better then he is!

That's a good answer to that. :)

Fact is, you're required to dress two goalies to play the game. If you don't, you must forfeit (I'm pretty sure that's the rule). And to play in a game, you have to be a student with NCAA eligibility remaining.

So that would mean if we only had JPL and Walski, and one of them got hurt, they would still both have to dress and risk having to play hurt.

I think we'd be better off having a student as a third/practice goalie who could at least fill the net during a game if they had to. It would be rough on the defense, but it would keep us from having to forfeit the game.

All that being said, I very much doubt Hakstol would pick up another goalie would wouldn't be eligible to play in a game if necessary.

Fact is, you're required to dress two goalies to play the game. If you don't, you must forfeit (I'm pretty sure that's the rule). And to play in a game, you have to be a student with NCAA eligibility remaining.

So that would mean if we only had JPL and Walski, and one of them got hurt, they would still both have to dress and risk having to play hurt.

I think we'd be better off having a student as a third/practice goalie who could at least fill the net during a game if they had to. It would be rough on the defense, but it would keep us from having to forfeit the game.

All that being said, I very much doubt Hakstol would pick up another goalie would wouldn't be eligible to play in a game if necessary.

I don't know the rules but I highly doubt you would have to forfeit a game for dressing only one goalie. That just doesn't make any sense. I would bet you don't have to dress any goalies if you don't want to and play with six skaters the whole game.

From the NCAA 2006-08 Men's & Women's Ice Hockey Rules and Interpretations:

Players in Uniform

SECTION 3. a. At the beginning of each game, the coach of each team

shall list the players and goalkeepers who shall be eligible to play in the

game. A maximum of 18 players, plus not more than three nor less than

two goalkeepers, shall be permitted; and a captain shall be designated.

In exhibition games, 21 skaters and as many as three goalkeepers are

allowed.

PENALTY

I don't know the rules but I highly doubt you would have to forfeit a game for dressing only one goalie. That just doesn't make any sense. I would bet you don't have to dress any goalies if you don't want to and play with six skaters the whole game.

I had the same thoughts as you did regarding this...I thought that sounded wrong, so I looked it up. Check out sec 3:23 of the 2006-08 NCAA Men's and Women's Ice Hockey Rules and Interpretations, which says:

A substitute goalkeeper must be on the bench at the start of the game and

shall at all times be fully dressed and equipped and ready to play. Upon

entering the game, the substitute goalkeeper shall take his position without

delay. A team shall not start a game with less than two goalkeepers.

PENALTY

I had the same thoughts as you did regarding this...I thought that sounded wrong, so I looked it up. Check out sec 3:23 of the 2006-08 NCAA Men's and Women's Ice Hockey Rules and Interpretations, which says:

A substitute goalkeeper must be on the bench at the start of the game and

shall at all times be fully dressed and equipped and ready to play. Upon

entering the game, the substitute goalkeeper shall take his position without

delay. A team shall not start a game with less than two goalkeepers.

PENALTY