SiouxSports.com Forum

Last game reviews...ponder the season

01grad

• Replies 95
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

What happened to UND's defensemen? I realize Hale has been out for 8 weeks, but the rest of them almost seemed indifferent to me. Several times the puck would be near one of them and it was almost like the didn't even notice it. I couldn't get there until midway through the 2nd, but I counted at least 5 breakaways and almost all due to poor positioning or both d-men going for the puck or same guy. I remember being impressed with their play in Januaury - good outlet passes, covered well in front, played the body, etc - and none of that was present yesterday.

I'm not really qualified to scout defensive quality but I will say for the whole 3rd and seemingly near the end of the second the D were really pinching and taking chances.

Keep dreaming. Parise is a definite exception to the rule. Any Sioux fan with half a brain knows that Blais isn't going to win too many head to head recruiting battles with Lucia over top MN kids. It'll happen but not very often.

If anything, Blais seems to be the one dropping the ball on losing top in-state talent. Gopher fans are very thankful that Blais made arguably the biggest recruiting blunder of his career in letting Grant Potulny slip through his fingers. People always used to be critical of Woog for missing on a few top MN kids but there are too many MN kids that go D-1 so it is impossible to get every good one. Blais doesn't have that excuse in NoDak because the state doesn't produce nearly as many kids for D-1.

One could only imagine if the roles of the two teams would be reversed if a great leader, goalscorer and clutch playoff player like Potulny had been on the Sioux. Who knows..... but I am damn glad MN has him.

Then add top talent like Dan Irmen and Ryan Potulny to the mix next year.... we appreciate the contributions from the state of North Dakota. Thanks.

Hammy, I try to let it go, but it show a little class on the Sioux board the day after the Sioux season ended. Parise won't become the rule, and nearly all of us know it. You don't have to come here and rub it in. I wouldn't dare do it on POI, no matter what someone said about the Sioux there.

Your hindsight is so wonderful I just can't believe you only use it for hockey predictions. Can you tell me where the stock market is going to be in two years, from three years ago? Potulny has turned into a wonderful player, one whose particular talent the Sioux would have dearly loved on their team. But he was definitely a late add-on to a very strong class and was not expected by Gopher nation to contribute much. Even after his 20-goal freshman year, many Gopher fans (and I'm about 80% sure you were one of them (at the risk of putting words in your mouth)) thought he would not continue to be one of the team's main players, as Donny started to roll in the recruiting classes. I think many thought his #1 PP spot would be taken by big Tallackson last year. Anyway, he's a clutch player, and Blais made a mistake to not recruit him. But that wasn't very clear three years ago.

And if Grant doesn't come, then Ryan doesn't and probably Irmen doesn't either.

Display the joy you take in UND's failures somewhere else.

Keep dreaming. Parise is a definite exception to the rule. Any Sioux fan with half a brain knows that Blais isn't going to win too many head to head recruiting battles with Lucia over top MN kids. It'll happen but not very often.

Hum lets see there is Brandon Bochenski, (don't give me that Bull S#!t about UofM not wanting him and some how how the offer was pulled, Brandon chose UND over the UofM, but what ever) I am pretty sure the Gopher were interested in Brady Murray and Zach Parise, lets see how many other Shattack players do we have coming up to UND. Hum, those seem like some pretty top players from the state of Hockey. I am sure there are much better players out there and UofM just didn't want any of these guys...

Yeah but your right UofM has so much more talent than UND, I am sure we might as well just hand the Gophers that National Title now. UofM has a much better coach and much better hockey tradition. And deep down in every Sioux fan is a Gopher fan dying to get out...

You know what Jim most of us Sioux fans have to act respectful when we go over to POI, and most of us do. Most of us don't start flame feast, most Sioux fans have to be held to a much higher standard, for what Hammy and some of the crap Handy-Man has been saying/spewing would get us removed from the POI site.

I say F#(k them I think we should hold them to the same standard over here. Anyone else up for that.

jk.... where on here did I mention anything about the Sioux losing or rub it in over their loss yesterday? It would be one thing if I was sitting here ripping on the Sioux for their performance on the ice of late but I wasn't. I responded to one guy's rather ill timed comments in regards to MN recruiting.

I never said the Sioux don't have a lot to be proud of and aren't a storied program in their own right. They deserve all the accolades they get.

I won't get any further involved in any debate about recruiting here in MN. The results speak for themselves for Lucia and I will leave it at that.

Same crybaby stuff from you sprig.

Ban me. You think I am gonna complain about it? I'd kind of think it was funny actually. Somebody can't debate an opposing view I guess.

Dear Admin, if you feel I am worthy of it, feel free to ban me.

See you at the Frozen Four.

All I know is there is a different standard, most of the Sioux fans that post on the POI don't come there with the purpose of rilling up the Gopher fans. There seems to be some unwritten rule that rilling up the Sioux fans on our message board is exceptable behavior. I know one guy was banned a while back for making a statement of how some poor walk on's goal wouldn't count because it was an exhibition and the guy was banned.

Time for golf season. Fore...

Every team has their fair share of questionable fans. The Gophers aren't immune to it and neither are the Sioux>>>

That is the absolute truth. I get embarrassed at times going to see my beloved Sioux in Madison at the Kohl Center. Most Sioux fans are great, but every year there are two or three buttheads that show up and make everyone in green look stupid.

Here's how I see this in a nutshell. First & formost, we just ran out of gas. Palin & simple, we got into the playoffs on flums if you look back the last i think 17 games the record was 5-10-2 I maybe wrong there & if I am please forgive me. I just hope with the exception of graduation of course that everybody comes back for another year. Then again, we all have choices to make wheather to stay & play another year or go on the next level. What do you?

Just because they may be loud and/or a "homer" doesn't mean they don't understand the game, they are there to see their team win.  Case in point: I have YET to have a UND fan come up to me after a Gopher win and say "great game, good win", does that make ALL UND fans have a bad name, in my book it can.

Are you serious?:huh: Why would a FAN come up to YOU after a game and give YOU congratulations??? At what point do you have anything to do with the outcome of a game? Are you a player? Stickboy? The next time I see you at a game I'll make sure to congratulate you on an excellent effort in the game. "Way to cheer your heart out! You're the 3rd Star of the game, buddy! You really executed the Soda chant tonight!.........." Get a Life.

I'm not sure that this is a Sioux team that simply ran out of gas. Frankly, they are not a great team even though they have some great players. These are my objective thoughts:

1. The Sioux have 1 great line, and only 2 lines capable of scoring. Parise and Bochenski are great. Spiewak and Noterman had good years, but are not great scorers. Still, they are among the top 6 on the team. Add in Lundbohm (when he passes the puck and does not try to stickhandle around the other team like a squirt player), Massen (who is very inconsistent) and Prpich. Other teams figured that out about 1/2 way through the season, and were able to shut down or minimize Parise and Bochenski. I was told that by a former UMD alum at Christmas when the Sioux were No. 1 in the country, and his words were prophetic.

2. The Sioux sophomore class of forwards has been disappointing. Bochenski is the only true star player. Massen and McMahon have talent, but are inconsistent and would be fortunate to skate 3rd or 4th line for the Gophers. Canady and Connelly have been disappointing with 1 goal between them and would not dress for the Gophers. One left the team and is back home in Alaska.

3. There are several other forwards who have not contributed. Palmiscino is not very good. I know that he is a local boy, but his success in the USHL was due primarily to playing with Fedotenko, who went directly to the pros. Ryan Hale scored only 2 goals, which just does not cut it for a 2nd or 3rd line forward.

4. The Sioux defense has some talent with Hale, Jones, Schneider, Fuher and Greene, but does not have a puck-carrying offensive defenseman like Ballard, Preissing, McKenzie, Paul Martin, Skinner, etc. The Sioux have always had this type of defenseman in successful years, from Ian Kidd, Russ Parent, James Patrick, Curtis Murphy, Brad Williamson to Travis Roche. This has hurt the power play tremendously. The Sioux should not have to resort to using forwards like Lundbohm and Fylling. It also hurts the transition game, which affects the scoring. If Hale leaves as expected, he will be difficult to replace. The Sioux badly need a Keith Ballard type player.

5. The Sioux breakouts are horrible. For the past 2 years, the Sioux breakout has consisted of either banging the puck off of the boards or the high glass and dumping the puck in. I do not believe that this is a coincidence, as it happened after Sandelin left. If this is Hakstol and Berry's system, please get rid of it. Since Dean Blais took over, the Sioux have been a great passing and skating team. The last 2 years have not resembled that style.

6. The Sioux cycle the puck, but no one goes to the net or gets in front like Potulny. Massen needs to get stronger because he should be that type of player. As a result, the Sioux do not score from the point very often on the power play or while set up in their offensive zone.

7. Goaltending is still a major issue. Brandt played well at the end, but I don't think that he is a Goehring, Casey, Schweitzer, or even among the top 4 or 5 in the WCHA. Siembeda is not the answer. Hopefully, Sedevie is the guy.

8. We need to get back to recruiting Western Canada. Mankato found Stevenson and Joseph, Duluth found Caig, and Denver and CC recruit heavily from Western Canada. The best Sioux teams were a mix of ND, Minnesota, Canada, Illinois, etc.

I am not trying to be negative, only realistic and objective. This team should be better next year with Murray and Smaby, and should contend for a title next year, but they need (1) more depth in scoring (2) a playmaking defenseman and (3) championship caliber goaltending. If they do not get that, we may be disappointed next year.

As I said before in the Goofers board. Each team has their fans, of their fans some are cool and some are assholes.

WPoS it is up to you which kind of fan you want to be. I guess I direct that toward all the people who seem to like to throw $h!t. Gopher fans and Sioux fans alike. CHILL OUT. This is hockey. Its not politics or war. Its a nice diversion and its something that I like very much but it is not worth all the insults you people direct toward each other.

I challenge all of those "beligerent" to try to be able to admit when the gophers play a good game, and vice versa for all you gopher fans out there. I don't like the Gophers. I really don't like the Gophers, but at the same time I dont feel the need to waste my breath ripping on thier fans. I can also admit the fact that right now they have a trully good team that could probably win it all. (Although it pains me greatly)

So rip on the team all you want. But don't make it personal its counter productive.

And could some one please tell the Gophers to get some haircuts their looking a bit shaggy :huh: