SiouxSports.com Forum

Last game reviews...ponder the season

01grad

Fargo?

Let's see ....

Gary Kaiser (North) played on the 1987 team at UND.

Pat O'Leary (North) played on the 2001 team at UND.

Dan Irmen (going to Minnesota) is really from North as well although he used open enrollment and played his sophomore year at GFRR before going to the USHL.

Believe it or not, the next big DI hockey recruits out of Fargo just might be playing for .... Shantell Rivard. :huh:

• Replies 95
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

One other Fargo product is Cory McLean from Fargo North, who I believe plays for Notre Dame. It does seem that Fargo is a little underrepresented in the division I college hockey world considering how many kids play or have played hockey in the city.

[Flatspin7, like I said, I wasn't ripping on him. You guys obviously pay more attention/have more viewing time of him than I would and I was wondering what you thought. I agree, put some weight on him and he'll fit into his role even better next year. Zach is a good/great player, not the world's best IMO(humble), but still a great player who will do tons for your program. I was just really curious as the the WHY he has had a slump. I REALLY, SERIOUSLY expected him to have some good post season games...but I suppose w/, as you said, 61 points you can't complain all that much, he produced plenty for a 18 year old freshman.

WPoS

Dont sweat WPoS.

I wasn't jumping on you. I just feel that people expected Parise to come in here and put up 50 goals and 75 assists during his freshman year. I am fine with 61 pts, Im just saying that no one would be complaining if any other player, no matter who, put up those numbers.

IMO Zach will continue to be a force and turn into a decent if not top notch professional in the next 5 years. The NHL will know the name Zach Parise.

p.s. Thanks for the Fargo info, I grew up in New Jersey where no once cares about college hockey, Ive been at UND for 4 years but Ive really only gotten into the know about it in the last year and a half. :huh:

You are right about Fargo not producing many D1 hockey players, although Danny Irmen is from Fargo and is very good. Additionally, Brandon Askew could have played, but got recruited by the top golf programs in the country, so chose golf over playing 1 or 2 years of USHL hockey.

The obvious reason for the lack of D1 talent from Fargo is lack of ice and ice time. Fargo is over 100,000, yet has only 4 ice sheets that are used. The park district supplies only 2 of them, the others are from private clubs. The Moorhead Bantam A's practice every day from 3:45 to 5:15. By contrast, the Fargo Flyers and Raiders Bantam A's get 1 and 3/4 hours per week of ice time, and typically practice at 6:00 am or after 9:00 pm at night. The PeeWees and Squirts from both the Flyers and Raiders get the same ice time.

Earlier in the year, the Flyers A teams beat Moorhead at Squirts, PeeWees and Bantams. Later, all 3 of our teams lost to Moorhead, albeit in close games. That is partly due to lack of ice, and partly due to competition (Moorhead goes to the Twin Cities several times per year and plays the best competition).

Fargo is adding 2 ice sheets this fall, which will help, but is still not nearly enough. Fargo has the worst facilities and the least amount of ice of any city in North Dakota. That is the main reason why there are so few kids from Fargo who play D1.

6.  Example?  Here is just one of many.  My kids and I sat near the ice in Section 5.  One Gopher fan, who I shall call "Biggie Fry" because he was popping out of one of those UGLY Gopher jerseys,  kept it up with the four letters, nothing particularly egregious, but enough to annoy me enough to give him the "Watch the Language" chant.  That put his snout back in his bag of mini-donuts.  Anyway, what is the purpose, or need, to still be riding a Mercyhurst goalie mercilessly, with incivil and sometimes profane chants, when your team is riding an 8-0 lead?  It's not like it was an epic WCHA struggle where one might be justified in riding a goalie a shade, albeit with clever and clean retorts.

7.  This same clown was shot down early by a nearby Sioux fan who told him to "Buy a bigger jersey!"  Funny.  He shut up until several of his other dehorn buddies showed up, at which point he became emboldened enough to get on Parise for going to the "wrong" school.

8.  My point?  Some Gopher fans make a bad name for all Gopher fans.  These types ought to have their legs taped to a chair and be made to eat spaghetti until their jerseys burst.  I am sure that many Gopher fans who know and understand the game, both on the ice and in the stands, would agree.

OK. You must be the old guy who sat a few rows behind me. I think it's pretty funny how you take cheap shots at a guy's weight when talking about OTHER teams fans being jerks.

Listen, I did say !@$! and suck throughout most of the game. !@$! is actaully part of some of the gopher cheers. The vast majority of that profane language was the word suck. Yes I did say it a lot. But I believe I used it accurately. :huh:

You guys can think what you want about Gopher fans being jerks because we say that your team sucks. I think you are getting back some of what we had to put up with a few years ago. I believe I had to listen to the clever "At least we have 7 banners" about 20 times last weekend. And the "Let's Go Sioux" being yelled in the middle of the Minnesota vs. Ferris game.

Just so the original poster doesn't get off thinking he is some hero for shutting me down, no I did not keep quiet after he told me to watch my language, or put my snout in my bag of minidonuts (I prefer nachos). I believe I told you to shut up and go back to North Dakota. And I continued to yell.

When you told me to watch my language, I was yelling the word $uck. Sorry to hear that's such foul language in your parts. Maybe if I were an old prick I would think suck is a bad word too. On second thought, it probably has less to do with your being a prick, and more to do with being a whiny, poor loser.

Why is it that I was fine leaving it at good old fashion rival talk (i.e. "Sioux Suck!") but you took it to a personal level with the fat comments and you still think that I am the jerk?

Look in the mirror jerk, because you are exactly the fans that you talk about hating!

And yes, I was cheering for the Sioux on Friday- right up until the fat jokes started flying. It would have been an UNBELIEVABLE atmosphere to have the Gophers and Sioux play for the right to get to the Frozen Four. Too bad a couple jerk Sioux fans had to ruin that fun.

ON ANOTHER TOPIC, I did actually talk to one decent Sioux fan in Minneapolis this week. He talked about how the Sioux just didn't seem to have it this year and how he thought the Gophers looked good enough to win the Championship again this year. That has to be a difficult thing to admit.

Bertogliat

The vast majority of that profane language was the word suck.  Yes I did say it a lot.  But I believe I used it accurately. :huh:

How exactly do you use the word "suck" accurately? Do they teach that at a U of M grad level class - Advanced Techniques in Being a Loud Mouth Obnoxious Hockey Fan - 4 credits, taught by Professor Woog? I heard that most of the "tutors" for the Rodent's BB team take the class.

Sorry about the double post but NarthDakotaHockey (clever moniker) kinda got under my skin.

This merciless riding I was doing of the Mercyhurst goalie??? It was the "Funnel Chant." North Dakota fans probably do the same chant. It ends with "Hey [goalie's name], you're not a black hole....YOU JUST SUCK, YOU JUST SUCK, YOU JUST SUCK."

The chant is performed, mostly by the student section, after every third goal. I did the chant after the 9th goal. And I did it with about 500 other people, most of whom were in a section accross the arena.

Listen, try not to go into another teams arena and get all huffed up about the opposing fan's chants.

And if I yell Bochenski sucks or Parise sucks, I don't actually believe they suck. I am just trying to get under their skin a bit. I know it is hard for you to grasp that kind of taunting, but it isn't meant to be taken literally.

Hey, kainda like when I say "Sioux Suck." Wow, weird how that works isn't it? Maybe the Gophers fans aren't the stupid ones. :huh:

Thanks Bert. You summed up the course beautifully. You must have got an A. And it really works, you've really gotten under my skin. I can tell, it's starting to smell like stale nachos and Pabst Blue Ribbon.

It is used in several chants like, "You buddy. You're outta here, you hack. And you suck! You worthless piece of !@$!."

And now you all know where WPoS got his moniker. He added the last part to that chant.

:huh: So thats what WPoS stands for. I was wondering about that. :blush:

yes, *sigh*, now you all know my secret acronym for my handle. Of course now I will have to kill you :huh:

The WPoS part of our penalty chant, I really don't take credit for it. I started it(?), who knows, others may have a better rememberance of when it all began, it is a good possability/probability as that lies along my line of thoughts for a hack, but I do know I started doing it my third year of going to Gopher games...maybe I am a star after all! :blush: I really don't remember...but thanks for the honor bert!

WPoS

Not saying we did or did not want Murray. He is not a MN. kid though. He is Candian and plays at SSM. Don't add him to the Mn. playes you lost list.

Since Lucia offered him a full-ride, I would say he wanted him.

I read in the Pioneer Press today that Vankek might be drafted as high as 2nd or 3rd now depending on how well he plays the rest of the way. This is good news for Sioux fans because I don't think he will be around too much longer, probably one more year. I just want to see a good frozen four. I wanted to see CC win it, but now am unsure. I hate the East and don't want Michigan to win another championship as well as the gophers, but would hate to see Cornell or New Hampshire start building stronger programs. So whoever wins will win and there won't be much we can do about it.